• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pretty in pink or true in blue, Krystal for Sm4sh!

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
It could be that he was logged on a desktop/laptop right before he died and his family discovered his Smashboards account. I don't recall Shorts having a password required to access his computer when it's closed.
Oh, right.

I did a little dedication to Alex in the social thread. Very sad loss this is, and remember this, when or if Krystal is finally playable, that is the day we wish he were here. Until that day, till all are one.

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
Masahiro Sakurai, make Krystal playable in Super Smash Bros for Wii U and 3DS in memory of Alex Vidlak Aka @Shorts . Make his wish come true. R.I.P. Shorts.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Shorts was one of the first people I knew from the sm4sh speculation days. He was also one of the first people from this forum I ever brawled online with and for quite some time I considered him one of my closest buddies when I first started out speculating. He was a really good guy and i've always had respect for him. He will be missed. :(

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
Masahiro Sakurai, make Krystal playable in Super Smash Bros for Wii U and 3DS in memory of Alex Vidlak Aka @Shorts . Make his wish come true. R.I.P. Shorts.
You and I think alike. I was thinking of writing a letter to Nintendo about Alex and his support for Krystal, along with the friends he made over the years on Smashboards and that if they plan DLC, to please consider the names of those who want Krystal to show that she can become a unique fighter, and that's all they want, a unique Star Fox character.

I'll be honest, I was neutral on Krystal from the beginning, but Star Fox Adventures was one of the first Gamecube games I played and got through to the end, and I think implementing the Staff into her moveset would make her stand out against all the characters representing Star Fox.

Last edited:

Wolfheart07

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Dragonheart07
I heard of what happened to Shorts there. My condolences for him for what happened to him in that accident. It's very unfortunate that had to happen. Nobody deserves to die like that especially in a car crash. Well, let's do everything to make his wish come true after all to hopefully get to Sakurai and everyone else at Nintendo to include Krystal as DLC for Smash 4. It's what he would have wanted and everyone of us would follow in his steps to show to Nintendo that we care about this character to be included and to have her stand out of the most unique of the Starfox characters.

Desert Croc

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4757-0799-4282
R.I.P. Shorts. It's such as shame that you have to pass away and never get to see your requested character in Smash Bros. We shall continue keep our support for Krystal alive and see to it that she does get in for you.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
You and I think alike. I was thinking of writing a letter to Nintendo about Alex and his support for Krystal, along with the friends he made over the years on Smashboards and that if they plan DLC, to please consider the names of those who want Krystal to show that she can become a unique fighter, and that's all they want, a unique Star Fox character.

I'll be honest, I was neutral on Krystal from the beginning, but Star Fox Adventures was one of the first Gamecube games I played and got through to the end, and I think implementing the Staff into her moveset would make her stand out against all the characters representing Star Fox.
Good idea, but I doubt they will do anything about that, Nintendo NEVER listens to the fans, it's a shame knowing that Shorts may never get his wish

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
Then explain the following

:diddy::wolf::4shulk::4littlemac::4megaman::4palutena::mewtwopm:(DLC)
Also adding to this is Sonic the Hedgehog, :4sonic: who might never have become playable in Brawl had it not been for the fans. There's also Project Rainfall which included Xenoblade Chronicles and The Last Story getting localised, as well as Project Moonfall with Majora's Mask 3D. NintenDOES listen to the fans, and they try as hard as they can to satisfy their consumers.

Also, I guess you could say Marth was able to get in to Melee because of the fans demanding him. http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n01/n64/software/nus_p_nalj/smash/PostResult2.html This was a poll for Super Smash Bros Melee requests - Marth is in 11th :marthmelee:, and we have the introduction of Fire Emblem in the west. Sometimes the fan demand goes beyond what was intended, and sometimes the fans make incredibly small influences on the developments of the game. Now that they've given themselves more time with DLC, they can listen to requests a little easier I imagine.

Last edited:

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
Wow, Shorts was a cool guy, I kinda knew him for years around the forum even though we never directly talked, like most of the oldies around here. It kinda hits hard surprisingly, because from what i've seen of him, he was a funny headstrong guy, that always stood by what he said. My condolences to his family...

If Krystal is confirmed, it'll be bittersweet since we've lost our leader, his polls were great too.

I also think the owner of the thread shouldn't be changed, as a memory of sorts, but if so then I would nominate the random cites.

Again, its shocking that such a thing happened, still kinda shocked.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
This is actually very sad...
Also, I think that Kristal is very possible as DLC, since a new Starfox game is in work and it should be a big title since Miyamoto is working on it. It's very sad that he won't be able to see it...

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
Rest in peace, Alex. I may not have known you well myself, but it's clear you had a lot of friends.

I have an idea, let's write to Sakurai's Twitter, requesting Krystal and mentioning Alex, does anyone here know how to write Japanese
If it's a campaign you're after, we'd need it to be more elaborate than spam-petitioning Sakurai's Twitter account. We'd need something that shows how much support there is and why Krystal would be such a viable character.

Something kind of like what the K. Rool supporters are doing.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Also adding to this is Sonic the Hedgehog, :4sonic: who might never have become playable in Brawl had it not been for the fans. There's also Project Rainfall which included Xenoblade Chronicles and The Last Story getting localised, as well as Project Moonfall with Majora's Mask 3D. NintenDOES listen to the fans, and they try as hard as they can to satisfy their consumers.

Also, I guess you could say Marth was able to get in to Melee because of the fans demanding him. http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n01/n64/software/nus_p_nalj/smash/PostResult2.html This was a poll for Super Smash Bros Melee requests - Marth is in 11th :marthmelee:, and we have the introduction of Fire Emblem in the west. Sometimes the fan demand goes beyond what was intended, and sometimes the fans make incredibly small influences on the developments of the game. Now that they've given themselves more time with DLC, they can listen to requests a little easier I imagine.
There are two options for this.

One, you take me for an idiot
Two, you do. Not research sides of the issue from both Nintendo and SEGA's point of view.

Sonic was requested for Melee by Yuji Naka. I have a copy of said magazine article in which Naka elaborated. Sakurai went back to SEGA during the development of Brawl to find that Naka no longer worked for them. SEGA was very reluctant to let Sakurai put Sonic in Brawl, but Sakurai was not willing to give up, that's why Brawl was delayed twice, and why Mewtwo, Doctor Mario, Roy, Dixie Kong, Toon Zelda, Tetra, and Plusle/Minun were all scrapped.

I have an idea, let's write to Sakurai's Twitter, requesting Krystal and mentioning Alex, does anyone here know how to write Japanese
That ain't gonna work.

Random off-topic shenanigans aside, It really grinds my gears that some people legitimately think that Krystal missing the new Star Fox game is even possible. That's literally the most laughable/ridiculous bias I have ever seen.

D

Deleted member

Oh, right.

I did a little dedication to Alex in the social thread. Very sad loss this is, and remember this, when or if Krystal is finally playable, that is the day we wish he were here. Until that day, till all are one.
Should Krystal become playable, we should honor Shorts by all of us making Krystal our mains/secondaries and/or have a day where we all come together to fight as Star Fox characters. We could even do the latter even without Krystal's appearance as DLC.
Wow, Shorts was a cool guy, I kinda knew him for years around the forum even though we never directly talked, like most of the oldies around here. It kinda hits hard surprisingly, because from what i've seen of him, he was a funny headstrong guy, that always stood by what he said. My condolences to his family...

If Krystal is confirmed, it'll be bittersweet since we've lost our leader, his polls were great too.

I also think the owner of the thread shouldn't be changed, as a memory of sorts, but if so then I would nominate the random cites.

Again, its shocking that such a thing happened, still kinda shocked.
When I found out that Shorts died, I was shaking my hands throughout the rest of the day and I was in a somber mood. It still feels surreal to have found out that Shorts is no longer with us and a reminder that a person's life can be taken away so quickly. Shorts's death has left a hole in the community and especially his loved ones that will never be filled again.

I would be okay with changing hands to another person, although I understand the sentiment by keeping Shorts in as the OP. I do feel at the very least that should the OP change that the original OP is kept for everyone to see.

Last edited by a moderator:

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Event though I am not a Krystal supporter, I am posting here to pay my respects to Shorts with a short eulogy.

Shorts was an integral part of the Smash Bros. community during the pre-Smash 4 era. He commonly offered his two-cents on possible new events relating to character speculation. He had an unique personality and wit to his posts, that no one else could ever replicate in this community. He was a one of a kind.

I did not have a positive opinion on Krystal, so me and Shorts would butt heads when the topic came up. His work on rebuilding the Krystal fanbase in the wake of the post-Brawl fallout was commendable. He was also a supporter of Dixie Kong (a character I did see eye-to-eye to him on).

However, perhaps his greatest contribution to the Smash Bros. community was his polling work. Shorts would take his poll on what newcomers Smash Bros. fans would want to see in Smash 4 and take it to every notable Smash Bros. community (SmashBoards, Reddit, 4chan, GameFAQs, NeoGAF, and some others). It provided the most accurate assessment in regards to character popularity and desirability among Western Smash Bros. fans than any other. His work was invaluable to avid speculators such as myself (though at this point I am retired from speculation).

He was an incredible asset to the speculation scene, and his polling work was something that no one else in the Smash Bros. speculation scene did.

If a compendium of Smash Bros. speculation history is written, Shorts definitely was a prominent figure within it, and helped shape it in a profound way.

However, aside from his work to the speculation community, his polling work, and prominent position within several character fanbases (particularly Krystal), he was a valued friend to many here. I never really got to know Shorts personally, but I am certain there are quite a few here who did. So while the community lost an important asset, plenty of people here lost a valued friend and companion.

It is tragic that he lost his life at such a young age (21). Hopefully, he now knows peace, and that his family and loved ones will honor his memory and remember the positive contributions to their lives his life gave them.

As I said earlier, I am not a fan of Krystal. However, in honor of the memory of Shorts. I will try to give my best assessment of where the Krystal fanbase should go forward in regards to make her playable.

The fact is that Wolf being cut was perhaps the worst thing going for Krystal right now. Wolf was basically the Mewtwo in terms of Smash 4 cuts. He is the most wanted character overall for DLC for Smash 4, and unlike Krystal he has already been confirmed for Star Fox Wii U. Its an uphill battle against Wolf.

Krystal having a fighting chance against Wolf as DLC is basically contingent on whether she returns for Star Fox Wii U. Right now, there are some signs that the game might be ignoring the post-64 continuity (Peppy back on the team, Wolf returning in an antagonistic role).

In the event that Krystal does not make an appearance in Star Fox Wii U, all is not lost though. The other option the Krystal fanbase has is support her inclusion in Project M, of which the character support fanbases are a microcosm compared to even the DLC support fanbases. indeed this is what I advised ManlySpririt and the rest of the Lyn fanbase to do, and their efforts found fruit (according to a leak Lyn was one of the first two newcomers decided).

If the Krystal fanbase does decide to go down this route though, there are two thing to keep in mind. One is that already 2 or 3 of the Project M slots have already been conclusively decided (already two characters are complete), and another one may already be complete. This means that only two potential slots are available for Krystal to get in, so time is ticking.

The second is that as with the rest of the Smash Bros. fanbase, the current attitude about Krystal in Project M is mixed (just as many negative votes as positive ones). Though I think that might change if the Krystal fanbase migrates over there.

It is definitely worth a try.

If Krystal does return for Star Fox Wii U, its means a lot of positive things for Krystal fans. For once, she will now be attached to an universally praised game in the Star Fox series, and also become relevant once again.

Even if Wolf gets in as DLC for Smash 4, just being in Star Fox Wii U will put her in an ideal vantage point going into Smash 5. If the fanbase continues along the lines of a K. Rool like fanbase, as opposed to a pre-Brawl Geno, pre-Brawl Krystal, or pre-Smash 4 Ridley fanbase, she will definitely be amongst the Top 5 most wanted true newcomers for Smash 5. She will probably even end up eclipsing characters such as Ridley (who right now have Sakurai's own word against him) and Isaac (whose series may still be dead by the time Smash 5 rolls around) in terms of requests.

However, even in the event that Nintendo decides to ignore post-64 with Star Fox Wii U, Project M offers the opportunity for Krystal fans to enjoy a playable Krystal on par with Sakurai-designed characters. As a Ridley fan, my main hopes are in Project M at this point, as opposed to a future Smash Bros. game developed by Sakurai, so don't see it as a "lesser title".

Krystal fans in the present should still hope and fight for her inclusion in the interim about when we know more about Star Fox Wii U.

In honor of Shorts, keep up the good fight. Be polite to Wolf fans (instead build bridges with them and encourage them to support Krystal once Wolf comes back), and support a narrative that says Star Fox should have four characters (bring up FE having four, and KI having three). Also, as I said Project M is also a possibility.

Krystal is basically the a lesser Isaac right now (meaning a character whose heyday was during the GCN/GBA era). She needs now more than anything a new role in her own series. Keep your fingers crossed in regards to that, because even if she does not get in as DLC, it will at least allow her to have a vantage point she has not enjoyed since the pre-Brawl days.

RIP Shorts. You live on through the lives you touched.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Poor Shortie. He really contributed a lot to this community. Even though I only joined Autumn last year, I found Shortie to be a very memorable part of my SmashBoards experience.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Thank you ChronoBound for that post. It shows that everyone has the ability to forgive others despite mishaps they may have had in their relationship with another person in the past.

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace
The heartbreaking news caught me off guard. I needed to collect my thoughts before I made a post.

I may have not known Shorts for long, but he was a commendable member of the Smash community. He always stood up for what he believed in, even if it meant butting heads with other members of the Smash community from time to time. He went out of his way and reached towards various western-dedicated Smash fan websites to create analytic polls for newcomer choices in Smash 4. They were, and are, arguably among the most reliable polls that exist.

He made many friends over the years of Brawl and pre-Smash 4. In all of these lives, as @ ChronoBound ChronoBound said, he will live on through.

This news brings life into perspective for me again. He was only 21 years young, the same age as me...

RIP Shorts, you will be missed.

You used your heart as a weapon, and it hurt like heaven.

We seek a compassion that allows us to stand in awe at what those less fortunate than us carry, rather than stand in judgement at how they carry...

Interesting. Would you mind uploading a screenshot so I can see the Star Fox display cases and their trophies?
Apologies for the late response. Here are some photos I took that show all the Star Fox display cases I have, as well as a few trophies in the gallery that show whether or not they have a spot on the trophy boxes:

The complete Star Fox trophy box is shown above. I'm not sure whether or not this is for the entire franchise, or just representing things as it came from the first game. Though, I suppose they would have specifically designated it "Star Fox: SNES" if it was from the first game, so this trophy box could be representing the franchise as a whole.

The Star Fox: Assault display case can be seen above. It's not complete, as I don't have all the trophies for this set. I have a hunch however that the Orbital Gate stage trophy that Sakurai has shown a few days ago will appear here (probably at the upper left corner). I also think that General Pepper and ROB 64 might appear in the middle back two slots as well, thus completing the set. Krystal does NOT appear in this trophy box either.

The complete Star Wolf trophy box is shown above. Wolf's trophy has his appearance from Assault, and not Brawl (Lucas and the Ice Climbers on the other hand look like they have their Brawl models for their trophies). The three trophy boxes shown above are the only Star Fox trophy boxes that I have. However, I have confirmed that you do unlock more trophy boxes for the different trophies you will obtain. I used to have 81 total trophy boxes. Now, I have 84.

As you can see above, Krystal doesn't have (currently?) a spot on any of the Star Fox trophy boxes. If she did, there would be the option to press the :GCX: button to take you to the trophy box she would appear in.

The above image of Falco (Assault) is shown to highlight the missing :GCX: button option for Krystal's trophy (found at the bottom left corner of the trophy description).

I have also compiled a few more images into an album on imgur if you want to see them too. Krystal is NOT the only trophy from Star Fox that doesn't appear in a trophy box. From what I have, the Alt. trophy for Falco and the Smart Bomb trophy also do not appear in trophy boxes that I have (which can be seen in the imgur link above).

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Shorts, why did you have to leave this lovely planet? Not only you were one of the funniest speculators during my first year, but you were the genius behind the many character polls that happened on this very site. I may had considered Krystal a good choice in the past, but I'll definitely be more serious from now on for the sake of you. May you enjoy your new home in the godly kingdom of Heaven and never forget about your experiences on this site. :crying:

I think I'll just leave for the night. Don't view me the wrong way.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Wow, didn't know the guy, but it's still sad news. I've seen his posts, funny guy. It's a shame I can't really say more.
He'd have wanted krystal to be playable. It would be pretty sad still that he couldn't play as her.
Well, he might be smashing in the afterlife.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Event though I am not a Krystal supporter, I am posting here to pay my respects to Shorts with a short eulogy.

Shorts was an integral part of the Smash Bros. community during the pre-Smash 4 era. He commonly offered his two-cents on possible new events relating to character speculation. He had an unique personality and wit to his posts, that no one else could ever replicate in this community. He was a one of a kind.

I did not have a positive opinion on Krystal, so me and Shorts would butt heads when the topic came up. His work on rebuilding the Krystal fanbase in the wake of the post-Brawl fallout was commendable. He was also a supporter of Dixie Kong (a character I did see eye-to-eye to him on).

However, perhaps his greatest contribution to the Smash Bros. community was his polling work. Shorts would take his poll on what newcomers Smash Bros. fans would want to see in Smash 4 and take it to every notable Smash Bros. community (SmashBoards, Reddit, 4chan, GameFAQs, NeoGAF, and some others). It provided the most accurate assessment in regards to character popularity and desirability among Western Smash Bros. fans than any other. His work was invaluable to avid speculators such as myself (though at this point I am retired from speculation).

He was an incredible asset to the speculation scene, and his polling work was something that no one else in the Smash Bros. speculation scene did.

If a compendium of Smash Bros. speculation history is written, Shorts definitely was a prominent figure within it, and helped shape it in a profound way.

However, aside from his work to the speculation community, his polling work, and prominent position within several character fanbases (particularly Krystal), he was a valued friend to many here. I never really got to know Shorts personally, but I am certain there are quite a few here who did. So while the community lost an important asset, plenty of people here lost a valued friend and companion.

It is tragic that he lost his life at such a young age (21). Hopefully, he now knows peace, and that his family and loved ones will honor his memory and remember the positive contributions to their lives his life gave them.

As I said earlier, I am not a fan of Krystal. However, in honor of the memory of Shorts. I will try to give my best assessment of where the Krystal fanbase should go forward in regards to make her playable.

The fact is that Wolf being cut was perhaps the worst thing going for Krystal right now. Wolf was basically the Mewtwo in terms of Smash 4 cuts. He is the most wanted character overall for DLC for Smash 4, and unlike Krystal he has already been confirmed for Star Fox Wii U. Its an uphill battle against Wolf.

Krystal having a fighting chance against Wolf as DLC is basically contingent on whether she returns for Star Fox Wii U. Right now, there are some signs that the game might be ignoring the post-64 continuity (Peppy back on the team, Wolf returning in an antagonistic role).

In the event that Krystal does not make an appearance in Star Fox Wii U, all is not lost though. The other option the Krystal fanbase has is support her inclusion in Project M, of which the character support fanbases are a microcosm compared to even the DLC support fanbases. indeed this is what I advised ManlySpririt and the rest of the Lyn fanbase to do, and their efforts found fruit (according to a leak Lyn was one of the first two newcomers decided).

If the Krystal fanbase does decide to go down this route though, there are two thing to keep in mind. One is that already 2 or 3 of the Project M slots have already been conclusively decided (already two characters are complete), and another one may already be complete. This means that only two potential slots are available for Krystal to get in, so time is ticking.

The second is that as with the rest of the Smash Bros. fanbase, the current attitude about Krystal in Project M is mixed (just as many negative votes as positive ones). Though I think that might change if the Krystal fanbase migrates over there.

It is definitely worth a try.

If Krystal does return for Star Fox Wii U, its means a lot of positive things for Krystal fans. For once, she will now be attached to an universally praised game in the Star Fox series, and also become relevant once again.

Even if Wolf gets in as DLC for Smash 4, just being in Star Fox Wii U will put her in an ideal vantage point going into Smash 5. If the fanbase continues along the lines of a K. Rool like fanbase, as opposed to a pre-Brawl Geno, pre-Brawl Krystal, or pre-Smash 4 Ridley fanbase, she will definitely be amongst the Top 5 most wanted true newcomers for Smash 5. She will probably even end up eclipsing characters such as Ridley (who right now have Sakurai's own word against him) and Isaac (whose series may still be dead by the time Smash 5 rolls around) in terms of requests.

However, even in the event that Nintendo decides to ignore post-64 with Star Fox Wii U, Project M offers the opportunity for Krystal fans to enjoy a playable Krystal on par with Sakurai-designed characters. As a Ridley fan, my main hopes are in Project M at this point, as opposed to a future Smash Bros. game developed by Sakurai, so don't see it as a "lesser title".

Krystal fans in the present should still hope and fight for her inclusion in the interim about when we know more about Star Fox Wii U.

In honor of Shorts, keep up the good fight. Be polite to Wolf fans (instead build bridges with them and encourage them to support Krystal once Wolf comes back), and support a narrative that says Star Fox should have four characters (bring up FE having four, and KI having three). Also, as I said Project M is also a possibility.

Krystal is basically the a lesser Isaac right now (meaning a character whose heyday was during the GCN/GBA era). She needs now more than anything a new role in her own series. Keep your fingers crossed in regards to that, because even if she does not get in as DLC, it will at least allow her to have a vantage point she has not enjoyed since the pre-Brawl days.

RIP Shorts. You live on through the lives you touched.
I remember shorts from his polling days. The data he pulled was extremely useful and its sad to see that he has passed.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
Rest in peace, Alex. I may not have known you well myself, but it's clear you had a lot of friends.

If it's a campaign you're after, we'd need it to be more elaborate than spam-petitioning Sakurai's Twitter account. We'd need something that shows how much support there is and why Krystal would be such a viable character.

Something kind of like what the K. Rool supporters are doing.
Better idea

Tipps4728

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Tipps4728
wow... never really expect things like that to happen. My condolences go to your family Shorts. you were a great guy, I just wish I could have known you better. If any of shorts' family reads this, my prayers are going out to you

Wolfheart07

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Dragonheart07
The heartbreaking news caught me off guard. I needed to collect my thoughts before I made a post.

I may have not known Shorts for long, but he was a commendable member of the Smash community. He always stood up for what he believed in, even if it meant butting heads with other members of the Smash community from time to time. He went out of his way and reached towards various western-dedicated Smash fan websites to create analytic polls for newcomer choices in Smash 4. They were, and are, arguably among the most reliable polls that exist.

He made many friends over the years of Brawl and pre-Smash 4. In all of these lives, as @ ChronoBound ChronoBound said, he will live on through.

This news brings life into perspective for me again. He was only 21 years young, the same age as me...

RIP Shorts, you will be missed.

You used your heart as a weapon, and it hurt like heaven.

We seek a compassion that allows us to stand in awe at what those less fortunate than us carry, rather than stand in judgement at how they carry...

Apologies for the late response. Here are some photos I took that show all the Star Fox display cases I have, as well as a few trophies in the gallery that show whether or not they have a spot on the trophy boxes:

The complete Star Fox trophy box is shown above. I'm not sure whether or not this is for the entire franchise, or just representing things as it came from the first game. Though, I suppose they would have specifically designated it "Star Fox: SNES" if it was from the first game, so this trophy box could be representing the franchise as a whole.

The Star Fox: Assault display case can be seen above. It's not complete, as I don't have all the trophies for this set. I have a hunch however that the Orbital Gate stage trophy that Sakurai has shown a few days ago will appear here (probably at the upper left corner). I also think that General Pepper and ROB 64 might appear in the middle back two slots as well, thus completing the set. Krystal does NOT appear in this trophy box either.

The complete Star Wolf trophy box is shown above. Wolf's trophy has his appearance from Assault, and not Brawl (Lucas and the Ice Climbers on the other hand look like they have their Brawl models for their trophies). The three trophy boxes shown above are the only Star Fox trophy boxes that I have. However, I have confirmed that you do unlock more trophy boxes for the different trophies you will obtain. I used to have 81 total trophy boxes. Now, I have 84.

As you can see above, Krystal doesn't have (currently?) a spot on any of the Star Fox trophy boxes. If she did, there would be the option to press the :GCX: button to take you to the trophy box she would appear in.

The above image of Falco (Assault) is shown to highlight the missing :GCX: button option for Krystal's trophy (found at the bottom left corner of the trophy description).

I have also compiled a few more images into an album on imgur if you want to see them too. Krystal is NOT the only trophy from Star Fox that doesn't appear in a trophy box. From what I have, the Alt. trophy for Falco and the Smart Bomb trophy also do not appear in trophy boxes that I have (which can be seen in the imgur link above).
It's funny that the Falco Alt. and the Fox Alt. are not part of the trophy cases. *sighs* Anyway, I recently acquired the Krystal and King K. Rool trophy to my collection. Also, last night I picked up the Tricky trophy and like Krystal, he can't be in the display cases. It's funny that one of the members of the Star Wolf team which is Panther Caroso can be in the case but not Krystal and Tricky. Oh well, at least I'm glad that not only is she still there, but at the same time, Nintendo still acknowledges her and that she is in the codecs from Lylat Cruise once again from Brawl. That's why I have a feeling that there's a very good chance that she will be coming back for Starfox Wii U for sure which I'm certain it is going to happen. Besides, she is there to stay in the SF series like any other character from the series and with a big fanbase she has like Wolf. Otherwise, we wouldn't have seen her at all in any of the more recent entries whether it's from Starfox(minus the 64 remake since it is a remake after all and she didn't appear until Adventures) and Smash Bros. Other than that, I'm still praying that we get Krystal for DLC to be playable after all. What got me curious is from the Assault section of the trophies that are missing, I'm sure that the Orbital Gate trophy is part of the missing 3 from that screenshot there. Any of you guys know what could the last 2 could be?

Finally, we have to find a elaborate way to send our message to Nintendo that us Starfox fans have been wanting to have Krystal to be playable in Smash ever since Brawl even if she has to be DLC. At least to get Shorts's wish to be a reality and he wanted her to be in Smash as playable as much as any of us. Just because there's a trophy of that character doesn't mean that they can't be playable. Well, 2015 is right over the horizon and we'll get to hear more on SF Wii U eventually and we can count on that. Finally, I maxed out my Fox McCloud Amiibo to level 50 and boy was he a strong character with and without items. I'm going to love this after all. ^^ However I will continue to train him all the way even he has reached level 50.

Last edited:

Princess Toady

Smash Ace
NNID
PrincessToady
Oh my, I just heard what happened... It's a shock when it happens, even if you don't personnally know the person... You really don't expect accidents like this to happen to anyone you know. It will be weird without him around...

I wish you find peace in the afterlife, Shorts.

Last edited:

ghastmine

Smash Ace
NNID
ghastmine
R.I.P Shorts you will be missed by this forum and tons of other smashboards members.

Sorry I didn't get here sooner the battlefield community kinda was eh. But it's sad news that shorts is dead....but nothing new to talk about that is relevant to krystal so I'm just gonna stay AWOL for a while. But R.I.P shorts

Dark Dude

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DudeSean
Also, last night I picked up the Tricky trophy and like Krystal, he can't be in the display cases. It's funny that one of the members of the Star Wolf team which is Panther Caroso can be in the case but not Krystal and Tricky.
I wonder if they're going to give us more trophies / cases with future updates / DLC. Maybe Krystal and Tricky will go in a new trophy case. I would suggest Starfox Adventures, but I know Krystal's trophy isn't based off her Adventures design. I really like Starfox Adventures and it's a big reason why I'd like to see Krystal in the game. I know Adventures is the oddball in the Starfox family, but I'm more of a Zelda guy than a Starfox guy, so Adventures is honestly my favorite Starfox game. I still like the others, though.

So, I was playing Smash Wii U for about 30 minutes and experienced a major crash while trying to load the map selection screen. Other than that, there's a lot of loading lag in-between matches. It also lags when I select alternate costumes.

So much for Sakurai wanting to release a "full game experience", eh?

Lets see how many crashes I can get before unlocking the full roster?

EDIT: The Lylat Cruise codecs are essentially the exact same. The models used by characters are their trophy models, I'm assuming. Krystal's there too. No big deal. Wolf looks a little... different though.

EDIT #2: Game crashed again. lol

EDIT #3: Got all the characters. Game crashed twice so far. Let the true battle begin?
That's weird. Smash hasn't crashed for me once. I went digital, if that matters at all.

So would anyone still want Krystal if she wasn't going to use her staff? After Bowser Jr. being a let down with the Clown Car I don't think I could handle my 2 most wanted characters being ruined in my eyes. Jr. is dead to me, he has already been established as using his Clown Car in Smash and there isn't any changing of that. I fear Krystal will follow the same road.
Eh... that's a tough question, man. I would be very disappointed if they brought Krystal and she didn't use her staff. I mean, her staff has just the right amount of moves for Smash Bros. Plus, Starfox Adventures is the whole reason why I want Krystal. To represent one of my favorite games. It would be a huge waste of potential to add Krystal and not give her the staff. It would make her not only unique as a Starfox character, but also as a Smash Bros. character, because despite having 49 total characters, there's not a single staff wielder in the bunch. Adding Krystal just makes so much sense, it's ridiculous that Sakurai didn't do it.

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace
Eh... that's a tough question, man. I would be very disappointed if they brought Krystal and she didn't use her staff. I mean, her staff has just the right amount of moves for Smash Bros. Plus, Starfox Adventures is the whole reason why I want Krystal. To represent one of my favorite games. It would be a huge waste of potential to add Krystal and not give her the staff. It would make her not only unique as a Starfox character, but also as a Smash Bros. character, because despite having 49 total characters, there's not a single staff wielder in the bunch. Adding Krystal just makes so much sense, it's ridiculous that Sakurai didn't do it.
Yeah. Some people would say that Palutena is a staff wielder, though.

I view Palutena as more of a scepter wielder, myself. She doesn't use the staff like a Bo staff fighter would--no physical combat with the staff. It's more or less used to conduct her Goddess powers.

But that's the thing. I'd prefer Krystal's moveset to be based more-so around physical staff combat. Sure, some of her moves can incorporate some of the elements used outside of physical staff combat from Star Fox Adventures (like the Fire Shot or the Ground Quake), but I'd much prefer her to use more physical staff moves. Kind of like Kilik from Soul Calibur. It'd be different.

Staff-wielder animations would be boss in HD. Too bad Smash doesn't have any of these. Krystal could fix that.

Last edited:

Dark Dude

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DudeSean
Yeah. Some people would say that Palutena is a staff wielder, though.

I view Palutena as more of a scepter wielder, myself. She doesn't use the staff like a Bo staff fighter would--no physical combat with the staff. It's more or less used to conduct her Goddess powers.

But that's the thing. I'd prefer Krystal's moveset to be based more-so around physical staff combat. Sure, some of her moves can incorporate some of the elements used outside of physical staff combat from Star Fox Adventures (like the Fire Shot or the Ground Quake), but I'd much prefer her to use more physical staff moves. Kind of like Kilik from Soul Calibur. It'd be different.

Staff-wielder animations would be boss in HD. Too bad Smash doesn't have any of these. Krystal could fix that.
Yeah, I always kind of viewed Palutena as more of a magic user, because like you said, she doesn't really use her staff as a bo staff fighter would.

Krystal should have some pretty cool combos with her standard A attacks, but I'm all for her special attacks to be the ground quake, fire shot, ice blast and launcher. I actually think of Kilik, too, when I think of a staff fighter. I've played a lot of Soul Calibur 2 in my day. I always used to hate Kilik, though, because one of my friends would always play as him. And I had all the weapons unlocked, so he would use that really long staff when we played custom matches. Still, though, I'm all for Smash to have that kind of staff fighter, and I would like Krystal to be that staff fighter.

Last edited:

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace
Yeah, I always kind of viewed Palutena as more of a magic user, because like you said, she doesn't really use her staff as a bo staff fighter would.

Krystal should have some pretty cool combos with her standard A attacks, but I'm all for her special attacks to be the ground quake, fire shot, ice blast and launcher. I actually think of Kilik, too, when I think of a staff fighter. I've played a lot of Soul Calibur 2 in my day. I always used to hate Kilik, though, because one of my friends would always play as him. And I had all the weapons unlocked, so he would use that really long staff when we played custom matches. Still, though, I would for Smash to have that kind of staff fighter, and I would like Krystal to be that staff fighter.
Oh yeah, the specials should be reserved for those powers for sure. It would make the most sense.

Like when he deconfirmed Zero Suit Samus?
Sakurai is enigmatic, that's for sure.

Though, I'm not holding him accountable for the trolling and teasing.

I'm more concerned by the contradictions he's made in the recent interviews (most of which we've covered a few pages ago). Contradictions like those make me question the level of communication within the team, or the developmental stance of Sakurai as a whole. Does he develop the game from instinct or gut? Or does he develop the game with careful and meticulous planning?

Problem is, we don't know.

Dark Dude

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DudeSean
Like when he deconfirmed Zero Suit Samus?
That's one example, yes. Maybe this is all intentional. Maybe it's a game he's playing with us. When he "deconfirmed" Zero Suit Samus, he showed us that he has no problem with flat out lying to our faces. Now, we have a reason to be suspicious of him. Kind of like the opening sequence to Charlie and the Chocolate Factory where Willy Wonka pretends to fall down at the beginning.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
That's one example, yes. Maybe this is all intentional. Maybe it's a game he's playing with us. When he "deconfirmed" Zero Suit Samus, he showed us that he has no problem with flat out lying to our faces. Now, we have a reason to be suspicious of him. Kind of like the opening sequence to Charlie and the Chocolate Factory where Willy Wonka pretends to fall down at the beginning.
As I said before, Sakurai is no better than a elementary school class clown

Wolfheart07

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Dragonheart07
I think that's entirely possible. I wouldn't be surprised if the "no DLC planned" thing was a complete lie. I just don't trust Sakurai anymore.
Well that's the power of Nintendo there and especially around Sakurai. You can't believe everything he has to say because he'll do everything to be so cryptic that the only way to find out is to play the game after all. But yes, as a troll, he's quite a professional at it and at the same time immature to the crowd so I'm not not surprised. Besides, regarding about IantheGamer's question there about of what if Wolf and Krystal were planned to be DLC this whole time, that's very possible. Because as I said before, he's pretty much aware(like Miyamoto and Nintendo are aware of the that there is a huge fanbase for these 2 characters(and also being popular to the community) and the roles they play in the SF series along with Fox and his team. In a way, they are like the Bowser/Peach or Ganondorf/Zelda of the SF universe of Wolf(villain/rival) and Krystal(love interest and a vital character to the story and to the SF team). Not to mention that Sakurai is somehow aware of the existence of Starfox Wii U that Miyamoto is working out on for next year which will in a way help promote the new game if Wolf and Krystal were included as DLC characters(which their chances of them coming back in SF Wii U are very good).

Last edited:
Top Bottom