• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pressuring a blocker

Monib

Smash Cadet
From what I've read, you pretty much shine their ass into oblivion (in the case that they are blocking).
Am I on the right track? LOL

Monib

Smash Cadet
Well, I heard about this multishine thing that wears down a person's sheild pretty They don't want their sheild to shatter so they roll and you can chase em down.

5pence

Smash Rookie
Shield pressure is a waste of time, and excessively technical, especially multishines. Shine grab is unbeatable and easy to perform. You put them in a juggle state and punish them when they try to come down or tech roll, both of which are simpler and more rewarding than following a roll out of shield pressure.

Monib

Smash Cadet
Yea, I realized multishines aren't exactly the most useful tactic. Maybe the second shine just for mix up (when they think you're gonna SH.... BAM!) but other than that.. i dont see it.
I Could be wrong though.

Ziodyne

Smash Ace
Shield pressure is a waste of time, and excessively technical, especially multishines. Shine grab is unbeatable and easy to perform. You put them in a juggle state and punish them when they try to come down or tech roll, both of which are simpler and more rewarding than following a roll out of shield pressure.

Shine grab isn't unbeatable though, isn't it? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure someone can buffer roll in the time between the shine and the grab.

5pence

Smash Rookie
Fortunately if you've conditioned them to roll immediately every time you hit their shield, you've already won.

Marmalad3

Smash Cadet
You guys are forgetting the most important, really the only important, part about multishines though, which is that they look really cool when spamming tech.

mooki

Smash Apprentice
So you're saying that grab -> (up)throw is better than shield pressure? How the heck are you suppose to follow up after any of Falco's throws? Serious question, I lack experience and have no clue what to do with Falco after I land a grab.

5pence

Smash Rookie
If they're a fastfaller, you can generally shine them off of it, or if they DI away hard then a back air; if they're not a fastfaller, then just hunt them down as they fall slowly. It's not that you get a combo or anything out of it, you just get to hit them when they're up there cause they have bad options coming down. Dr. PP and Frootloop are two falcos that have great grab games and just watching them follow up should help a lot.

mooki

Smash Apprentice
I still feel like wearing down someone's shield until (1) they put themselves in a bad spot, (2) their shield breaks, or (3) their shield is small enough that you can shield poke them with a Dair/Bair, yields better results than getting a grab.

What makes feel like a grab is more useful?

AppleAppleAZ

Smash Journeyman
I still feel like wearing down someone's shield until (1) they put themselves in a bad spot, (2) their shield breaks, or (3) their shield is small enough that you can shield poke them with a Dair/Bair, yields better results than getting a grab.

What makes feel like a grab is more useful?
positional advantage is huge in this game. The guarantee of getting someone above you or offstage is superior than getting a hit after an excessively risky string of hits on shield.

BTmoney

a l l b e c o m e $
extended shield pressure is dangerous because once you break into the wide tier of mediocre players they all learned how to deal with shield pressure

if you break your opponent's shield they did a long of things wrong

things like shine->grab are a lot safer and you can combo/gain position off it and there are tons of passive aggressive pressure you can apply. Shield pressure with Falco is still good, you just have to be mindful and careful

Orko

Smash Apprentice
The best part about shield pressure is the mentality that comes along with it.

Now, i'm a Falco scrub. But for the most part I think saying it's not worth it is a valid point. But it definitely allows you to control more of the momentum of the match. So it's really a huge tradeoff.

Is it worth it to you to learn something just to put your opponent into a reactive mental state?

BRB Practicing waveshining.

5pence

Smash Rookie
Also, if they're not doing legit grounded doubleshines, falco's shield pressure is super slow and easy to get out of. Moral of the story: play fox Kappa

Varist

Smash Lord
why falco boards so dead

shield pressure is more useful on falco than it is on fox because it's like, more pure. fox shield pressure is just "damn this is easy so i'm gonna do it and then i'm fast so whatever you do i react to it"

but falco shield pressure is like "boi im doing 3 simple moves: shine, dair and nair. either you take your chances guessing when i'm gonna do each one and try to shield grab me or nair me or something or i'm gonna shine waveland behind dat shield eventually and then you gotta gtfo"

then their shield is small so you're free to laser, dash dance, laser shield poke them with a crossup bair or something. that **** literally works every time.

and if they're just rolling you shinegrab. you should learn to shield pressure as falco way sooner than you need to as fox. the bird is good at it

SAUS

Smash Ace
If your opponent shields, you are at an advantage (assuming you didn't **** up). Jumping all over their shield is not really how you do shield pressure (it can work, but it is excessively difficult and there is no guarantee it will even work well). Spacing moves and timing them all over the place is what will really makes your opponent **** themselves.

What are they supposed to do when you just stand there, poking their shield with your f-tilt, random back-airs, or just jumping and literally doing nothing?

When someone is spamming moves on your shield, there are holes to escape, and you just have to find them, and choose the right move/action to get out. When you do very little, but make your presence felt, they will crumble.

I used to think shield pressure was all about baiting out the wrong move (baiting a bad shield grab or roll or jump, etc.), but there really is no need to hurry. A big thing is, why take a coin flip when you already have such a good advantage? Just wait out your advantage and do some pokes to make sure they know you are there.

Top Bottom