• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Press Start Gaming Tournament Montage

Master WGS

Smash Lord
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKif930uEn4

Now, before you go nuts, here were the rules for this wacky fun tournament...

Every character had his/her name put in a hat. Characters in lower tiers had their name in more times (Bottom tier characters had their name in five times), while the top tier characters only had their name in once. Players drew their characters, fought with them in round one, switched for round two, and fought with their mades if they made it into a round three. The stage was picked at random at the very beginning and kept throughout the entire set. Oh, and all stages were on, Icicle Mountain included.

I understand, very odd and strange rules. BUT! There's a reason. This place has held quite a few tournaments in the past few years, most of which with the usual MLG rules. The owners of the store came to us and asked if they should switch it up and make things a bit more interesting. We agreed, and this is what we came up with. I know, it's a crime that we went away from the typical ruleset and all, but this was actually really fun and interesting. Finals will be up soon.

InfiniteGXT

Smash Journeyman
BLASPHEMY! How dare you forsake the sacred MLG ruleset!

Actually thats seems kinda funny. Over time you can become good with characters you dont even play with for some reason. About a month ago I decided to pick mario in a match and ended up owning with moves I didnt even know I could use. Funny how that works. Seeing people play with characters other than their main is a good determination of their overall skill.

rysaN

Smash Cadet
that ruleset actually sounds pretty fun. i'd love to play in a tourney like that. i don't like the random stages though, i hate ALL banned stages. =P

MuseLives

Smash Journeyman
Enjoying some leisurely chaos...in New Jersey
i've actually played in a bracket like this once, my crew decided to mix up smashfest by throwing something similar to this in. It was really funny to see people play with characters they'd never even look at on the character list and try to pull through with a victory. I want to see how those finals turned out.

wacky rules ftw

Master WGS

Smash Lord
Press Start Gaming is a small video game store in Ohio that holds frequent torunaments. Anyone who lives in the Central Ohio area is invited to hang out and Smash whenever, cuz they usually have set ups there for people to play on. Also, we locals hang out there quite often.

Anyways, first two rounds of the finals are up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FYZg7GDtQ0

phish-it

Smash Champion
I love crazy rule sets like these. I wish people still played this game for the fun factor instead complete competition.

Master WGS

Smash Lord
Yeah, we were all getting sorta bored with the old-school ruleset, so we made it our own. People seemed to like it, and it's not like we'll never hold MLG-rule tournaments ever again. We enjoy competition, but we like a relax-ish tournament like this one every once in a while...

Top Bottom