• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

President Iwata Passes Away..

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
The Smash games are some of my favorite games ever.

I had so much fun with my friends playing it.

If it weren't for him, these games wouldn't exist.

I've always been a Nintendo kid and always will, so his "departure" truly breaks my heart.

DarkBlueSpark

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0920-2076-2551
I'll admit, I don't know much about Iwata. I grew up with Nintendo, and I'm ashamed to say I really didn't know much about him. But hearing news of his death, and just reading posts about how he's impacted people's lives through his work at Nintendo, it really hit me how much this man has done. Even though I didn't know much about him ever since I got my Gamecube when I was about 4 years old, this man really has impacted my life, though I didn't know it. Nintendo was such a big part of my childhood, and Iwata molded Nintendo into the company I've loved for years.

Iwata will be missed. Rest in peace.

@ N3ON N3ON I'd like an Iwata ribbon :)

Last edited:

RobinOnDrugs

Your Friendly Neighborhood Scavenger
Iwata was not only the President of Nintendo, he was also a talented director and programmer. This was the guy who cleared up space in the Pokemon Gold and Silver remakes, ironed out Melee so it was ready for launch, among other things. He had as big of an impact on Super Smash Brothers as Sakurai himself did. He was also a gamer at heart.

It'll be strange not seeing him on Nintendo Direct or any major event for the company. This was an unexpected loss, and I hope Nintendo can recover from this. Worst of all is that he passed at the age of 55. He still had a long way to go in life, but he accomplished so much.

R.I.P. Satoru Iwata

Last edited:

ZXMechonHunter

Smash Journeyman
So a long time ago I saw this funny gif after a long day in 5th grade. It was Miyamoto with a goofy face and the DS printing money. I saw this guy next to him and wondered who he was.
Now I'll never forget that man for all he's done for his company and his employees.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
One of the greatest minds, one of the greatest men, that ever lived. May you Rest in Everlasting Peace, Mr. Satoru Iwata.

@ N3ON N3ON
If you wouldn't mind. A ribbon for me, as well.

Soul.

This man was a blessing for Nintendo. Even if he has made some questionable decisions here and there, his efforts will not be forgotten. His presence on Nintendo Directs also gave the majority quite the good laughs.
I'm just sad this happened. Everyone is. Your work at Nintendo will not be in vain, Mr. Iwata.
May you rest easy, kind sir. :'(

Bosspon

The Boss of Pon
NNID
KingofSayains
Iwata was more than just a CEO. He was, for all intents and purposes, Nintendo's dad. From the Iwata asks, to his multiple appearances in Directs, Iwata was more than just a faceless company leader.

He was leading Nintendo when the Wii emerged and the company really hit its stride. And he went through darker times, when the Wii U came out and people demanded he be fired. People said Nintendo was doomed. Yet it still exists and I think we have Iwata to thank for that.

A coding genius, an industry leader, and a memetic badass who was half of the power duo of Reggie and Iwata. He died too young and too suddenly. But still, I'm sure he's in a better place now.

Iwata... we understand.

I grew up with sony thinking miyamoto was the head executive for years only learning theis was false from the smash community.

I may be completely detached and reacting far less severely but all of your heartfelt warmth all across the boards is clear presence of how wonderful a man he was. You may not realize it but you are all being watched and your honoroble showing makes me, as one of those spectators, believe his legacy lives on in you respectful fans. None of you have rver met him but are reacting so strongly purely from his actions half a planet away. That is an indication of his greatness.

I thank each and every one of you for acting considerately in this time.

May he rest in peace after what he has done for all of you.

D

Deleted member

R.I.P. Satoru Iwata - The man and his impact on Nintendo will be fondly remembered for years to come.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Melee, and subsequently next three Smash games, would have never come to be had it not been for Iwata's steadfast direction in getting the game done in time.

I'll be stunned, stunned, if a large scale Melee (and 64/Brawl/4) tournament held in his memory doesn't happen in the near future.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Even Etika posted something

Warning: While Etika never overreacted and rarely sweared in this 11-minute video, the tweets he shows aren't as clean.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Melee, and subsequently next three Smash games, would have never come to be had it not been for Iwata's steadfast direction in getting the game done in time.

I'll be stunned, stunned, if a large scale Melee (and 64/Brawl/4) tournament held in his memory doesn't happen in the near future.
Even the first one, as he help Sakurai with the original prototypes and the programming

Top Bottom