• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PPMD's Falco Discussion Thread

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
I know it's kind of arbitrary but when people travel all that distance with money on the line to play against one person I do think in the end they should be playing just that one person.
you thinking that doesn't mean I have to. I think it's gay that I travel all that distance and I suddenly don't get to have my friend coach. Why is that opinion less valid?

There's nothing objective about this, it's simply a decision that we have to make.

Mogwai gets it. Thanks for reppin, bro

:phone:

Warhawk

Smash Lord
you thinking that doesn't mean I have to. I think it's gay that I travel all that distance and I suddenly don't get to have my friend coach. Why is that opinion less valid?

There's nothing objective about this, it's simply a decision that we have to make.

Mogwai gets it. Thanks for reppin, bro
Nowhere did I say my opinion is absolute, don't know where you guys are picking that up from...

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
Nowhere did I say my opinion is absolute, don't know where you guys are picking that up from...
You described how tournaments would go in an ideal world, and when Mogwai pointed out that It was YOUR personal ideal, you explicitly rejected that. That's where I picked it up from.

:phone:

Warhawk

Smash Lord
No no, by "ideal world" I mean one where this could actually be easily enforced, I didn't mean my opinion was what's ideal.
I'll throw this part out there again because I did word it poorly originally and not fully describe what I meant. I meant to say that if it could be enforced (which would be an "ideal world", where you would actually be able to make the decision whether to enforce or not enforce coaching without the great difficulty in one option over the other) I think that it should unless both players are ok with it, not that if it could be enforced it absolutely should. I understand that even if it could be easily enforced there are still very legitimate arguments for coaching (taking from what is a potential tournament experience, potentially killing hype due to the extent of what could be considered "coaching", etc.) I just still personally disagree with coaching during matches. I do however think that with the difficulty in preventing coaching without eliminating noise during matches altogether that coaching should be allowed.

Basically I didn't mean to say that a coaching ban was ideal but that the ability to easily ban or not ban coaching was the ideal situation for the purposes of the argument. Kind of the wrong place to discuss this anyways.

Brookman

Smash Hero
dude coaching should be banned. at least on the court. Can we call time outs in matches now please???? 3 a stock maybe. we get to pause and punish tech rolls too.

but only 3 times.

_eternal

Smash Apprentice
I don't see how calling pro/anti-coaching subjective changes anything. Of course it's arbitrary. Our ruleset and stagelist are also more or less arbitrary, unless you can find a cold, 100% objective reason for why Poke Floats is banned and why we play 4 stock instead of 5.

This should be in a different thread, shouldn't it.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Everyone check out my sick shield drop Bair -> Dair first stock in 5
SICK

Also uhh don't get full hop tomahawked so much or something

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
I don't see how calling pro/anti-coaching subjective changes anything. Of course it's arbitrary. Our ruleset and stagelist are also more or less arbitrary, unless you can find a cold, 100% objective reason for why Poke Floats is banned and why we play 4 stock instead of 5.

This should be in a different thread, shouldn't it.
yes. but

the fact that it's arbitrary and subjective is important because no one seems to realize that. both sides tend to argue as if their positions are absolute and defensible, which leads to a lot of hate and frustration, when if everyone would just accept that the decision is arbitrary the conversation would (i think) get a lot less heated. And it would allow us to discuss the actual issues (do we want it this way or that way? is it more or less fun and exciting?) rather than people throwing around crappy straw man arguments and ****.

Moooose

Smash Champion
coaching is alright. i just played in a east coast tourney where i got coached/cheered against pretty much the whole time(cept slox and kevinm) but imo it doesnt really matter that much.

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
coaching is alright. i just played in a east coast tourney where i got coached/cheered against pretty much the whole time(cept slox and kevinm) but imo it doesnt really matter that much.
i was cheering for you too! I was the guy matt.zeb kept yelling "SHUT UP" at during your set vs swift lol

you put in work. good ****.

Mahone

Smash Champion
You didn't even show up to SS! Redd said it was because you were too afraid to lose Elo after you stole all of Chillin's. :troll:
Lol, i was at another tournament in NC bro... but nice try... if u really want advice from me, even though my falco sucks, u can add me on skype and we can go over the matches... My falco is at least good enough to **** winston/wenbo all day

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Tell me if you're still coming to Zenith so I can tell Chu if he has a spot or not in my car

Bones0

Smash Legend
Lol, i was at another tournament in NC bro... but nice try... if u really want advice from me, even though my falco sucks, u can add me on skype and we can go over the matches... My falco is at least good enough to **** winston/wenbo all day
Add me (bones.zero). Idk when/if I will be able to go over them though. I really feel like sometimes I just need to play more matches. I like figuring stuff out on my own. Relying on better people to point **** out to me is no longer appealing. It makes my gameplay feel less cohesive and in sync. I mostly just ask about avoiding gimmicks that I've never seen these days. :/

Mahone

Smash Champion
Ya, thats a really good mentality... i feel the same way. But i usually help by saying super general stuff anyway, and then u can work out all the details and make it ur own... i don't really care either way though, i'll just give whatever type of advice u want

Bones0

Smash Legend
Top Bottom