• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PowerShielding

DarkStraw

Smash Apprentice
Ok, how exactly does powershielding work? Do you powershield the instant your hit or the entire time of the attack (how would you powershield GW's Bair?)

whats the best way to practice it without someone else present

can your shield be poked through if you powershield (say your shield is half gone, can they hit the exposed part of your body if you powershield)

how do you know if you have correctly powershielded

what happens to an attack when its powershielded (does it bounce back? go through?)

I tried to search for this subject via the forum search but the search wasent working (giving me an error) but im sure the basics for powershielding could help some people out on this forum that dont know.(like me)

im pretty sure i dont shield to much in brawl im dodge dancing all the time, but when they attack and you shield the moment the attack would have hit you, it makes a CLANK! and you, and your shield remain unharmed. it typically works against those who projectile spam, forcing them to either sit there and you just keep tapping L/R or they have to rush you in which case the fight begins!!!

Jon64

Smash Cadet
The biggest advantage is that you'll suffer nearly no lag upon closing the sheild and you won't get pushed back by the attack.

kamekasu

Smash Ace
Ok, how exactly does powershielding work? Do you powershield the instant your hit or the entire time of the attack (how would you powershield GW's Bair?)
In Melee you had to hit shield within 3 frames of being hit. This has most likely changed in Brawl because it is much easier to powershield, but it is still a relatively small window.

whats the best way to practice it without someone else present
Powershielding projectiles is particularly hard, so if you can get somebody to spam Falco's or Fox's neutral B, or you have some way of holding down the B button on a second controller, practicing powershielding can be pretty easy. The best way is just to do it in battle.

can your shield be poked through if you powershield (say your shield is half gone, can they hit the exposed part of your body if you powershield)
Powershielding does not protect you from shield stab.

how do you know if you have correctly powershielded
You'll block the attack without actually putting up the shield, it will just flash and you'll hear a faint sound. You'll take no damage and your opponent will still be lagging from the attack while you have an opportunity to counterattack.

what happens to an attack when its powershielded (does it bounce back? go through?)
The animation finishes and the attacker has hitlag from the attack. The person shielding has no lag.

DarkStraw

Smash Apprentice
So if you powershield GW's Bair, you would shield right when it hits you, and then let go and it would powershield the entire thing? or do you hold it down untill the Bair is done attacking.

kamekasu

Smash Ace
If you did it right, you wouldn't have to hold it down.
The shield would be put down with no lag, and you can counter Game & Watch as he recovers from the landing lag off the Bair.

Magus420

Smash Master
You can't really powershield the entirety of multihit attacks in Brawl. In Melee, if you powershielded the 1st hit of an attack that would keep you in shieldstun until the next hit connects it would automatically PS the rest of the hits as well (like Ness' f-air). In Brawl it will only PS the 1st hit and not the others, either because PSing a hit takes away that stun or there simply isn't enough stun on each of the hits in the 1st place anymore (which wouldn't surprise me). In other words, G&W doesn't care if you poweshield his b-air. It'll still **** your shield or shieldstab you anyway.

kamekasu

Smash Ace
You can't really powershield the entirety of multihit attacks in Brawl. In Melee, if you powershielded the 1st hit of an attack that would keep you in shieldstun until the next hit connects it would automatically PS the rest of the hits as well (like Ness' f-air). In Brawl it will only PS the 1st hit and not the others, either because PSing a hit takes away that stun or there simply isn't enough stun on each of the hits in the 1st place (which wouldn't surprise me).
But I was talking assuming he got hit off the last hit of the Bair, but I'm going to guess in the case of taking all hits, it only shields the first hit because powershielding takes away the stun.

Top Bottom