• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Power Shield Canceling (PSC) New AT!

napZzz

Smash Hero
I dont know why peopel are making a deal out of this, there aren't very many players out there who can power shield consistantly (or I Guess I should say effectively)

so I doubt they can add this little twist into it on their reaction time...besides...this doesn't really mess up mk's nado, smart ones dont just rush at you like that let alone do it grounded generally....

_Kadaj_

Smash Hero
Throw that P***y at me? B***h I think Im Babe Ruth
Guys you don't need to change your controls I can do it consistently w/o any changes.

However if you want to grab I strongly suggest using your right pointer to hit Z for grab and your right middle finger to hit R for block. It's the only way I can grab him 100% of the time.

Doing moves such as jab/uptilt/Dtilt/etc. can easily be done by simply performing the inputs

Napzzz that's dumb even if they were to do it overhead you can up tilt them out of it with PSC, or you can crouch to make them lower the nado and do it. PSing is easy in general anyway don't know why you think otherwise

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/howto/technique/technique10.html

Perfect/Power shielding was always meant to have no shield drop lag. That, reduced shield push, and no shield health loss were the only things that made it different from normal shielding.

What was shown in the vid had nothing to do with what was shown in innocentroads' vid. A lot of those things you did against tornado could've been done without power shielding at all. You even did some of those things without power shielding in the vid. UpB OoS and grabbing OoS didn't need the power shield for those moves to land. I actually posted about this a few months ago.

What's in innocentroad's vid is actually something new that no one really uses, but it wasn't really explained well. What he's showing is that you can buffer attacks out of a power shield using a certain buffer input method. Normally you couldn't buffer out of a power shield, but with his method you can! To do this you just power shield and keep shield held. During the hitlag you input whatever attack you want and then you release shield during the shield stun frames. If you did it right you will use that attack on the first possible frame. This even works with Fsmash and Dsmash which would normally give you a roll or spotdodge.

Your vid is still good though. It shows that tornado is actually more punishable than we think. People should start doing PS to jab/tilt more. :)
Thats kinda what I was thinking all along... I was almost sure I was missing something because this seemed like regular PSing to me.

Orion*

Smash Researcher
wow I haven't seen Tenki post in like a year+
Guys you don't need to change your controls I can do it consistently w/o any changes.

However if you want to grab I strongly suggest using your right pointer to hit Z for grab and your right middle finger to hit R for block. It's the only way I can grab him 100% of the time.

Doing moves such as jab/uptilt/Dtilt/etc. can easily be done by simply performing the inputs

Napzzz that's dumb even if they were to do it overhead you can up tilt them out of it with PSC, or you can crouch to make them lower the nado and do it. PSing is easy in general anyway don't know why you think otherwise
why doesnt R -> A work for grabbing

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
R>A is a shieldgrab that goes according to the game's mechanics so it can't cancel, but R>release>Z is a standing grab that cancels the powershield. Normally you can't R>utilt, but by cancelling the powershield you can R>utilt, same thing with the grab... This is just an assumption though, and is based entirely on R>A not working but R>release>Z working. I think I've been doing powershieldgrabs just as fast as in the video with R>A, but I might be wrong. If you can powershieldgrab just as fast as in the video with R>A, then this whole post is moot.

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/howto/technique/technique10.html

Perfect/Power shielding was always meant to have no shield drop lag. That, reduced shield push, and no shield health loss were the only things that made it different from normal shielding.

What was shown in the vid had nothing to do with what was shown in innocentroads' vid. A lot of those things you did against tornado could've been done without power shielding at all. You even did some of those things without power shielding in the vid. UpB OoS and grabbing OoS didn't need the power shield for those moves to land. I actually posted about this a few months ago.

What's in innocentroad's vid is actually something new that no one really uses, but it wasn't really explained well. What he's showing is that you can buffer attacks out of a power shield using a certain buffer input method. Normally you couldn't buffer out of a power shield, but with his method you can! To do this you just power shield and keep shield held. During the hitlag you input whatever attack you want and then you release shield during the shield stun frames. If you did it right you will use that attack on the first possible frame. This even works with Fsmash and Dsmash which would normally give you a roll or spotdodge.

Your vid is still good though. It shows that tornado is actually more punishable than we think. People should start doing PS to jab/tilt more. :)
his videos inputs were confusing me lol(Beacause the annotations seemed mistimed). Now I get it though, this means it should be even easier to do it

I'll get to testing right away

also, in the video I said that with PSCing options and other OOS options you can punish nado.

instead of making a whole new video with all of the up-b, grab, and u-smash oos options I decided just to put them in this video

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Mew2King will go BANKRUPT.

MechaWave

Smash Champion
This technique is nice, but like most of them, I cannot perfect.

Actually, since you can do this at any frame, I can. I'm just saying I can't really do this on MK for obvious reasons.

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Or use more characters.
I'd applaud M2K at any point he chooses to use someone other than MK in MMs and such.
I'm just saying I can't really do this on MK for obvious reasons.
Reasons being? I find this really easy to perform, (mainly because i have "Y" set to shield by default) but only on a set range of move i expect from MK, such as Tornado, Nair, and Ftilt1. It's easy to do if you understand the match-up, and you know what to expect. It's not expected of anyone to do this left and right in a battle, clearly, but it definitely has it's uses against a cast of moves.

Albert.

Smash Master
m2k would probably 3stock everybody posting in here (except orion) w/ ike

Just doing some meat-riding to balance out the nado quip so that everything's even.

Baro

Smash Journeyman
How is this a big deal and why is it considered an advanced technique

-LzR-

Smash Hero
I don't know what's the big deal. Why didn't platform canceling never get this kind of attention?

Orion*

Smash Researcher
Orion why did you quote me? reiteration?
i was gonna make a post about how i took that color blind n**** with snake to brinstar and spammed nades in the cheetah outfit on the ladder way back in the day LOL
I don't know what's the big deal. Why didn't platform canceling never get this kind of attention?
platform cancelling should have although tbh

i think europeans vastly overuse it

and americans dont use it at all

so w/e

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Yeah I guess, I haven't really found anything practical about it with MK as he has better options usually. Well it's sort of like superflashy lolMrRyoutubecombothing.

And this PSC like I said somewhere else is just doing a Power Shield the right way. Like Bdacus is the correct way to DACUS.

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
LzR, platform canceling sucks with multi-jump characters, as you can only do it with their first jump. That's why it sucks with MK.

Baro

Smash Journeyman
leave it to the brawl community to call powershielding an advanced technique

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Yeah I have noticed that. For Puff is sucks even more as her first jump is soooo low.

GimR

NNID
VGBC_GimR
leave it to the brawl community to call powershielding an advanced technique

You have to press shield on the first frame and then release shield and press A on the second frame. It's not that easy. I love melee and I love Brawl, but one thing I've noticed is that Brawl players never go into Melee threads and complain or make fun of them for playing their game of choice. Melee is supposed to have the more mature community. Please grow up

-LzR-

Smash Hero
I agree with GIMR with that. We leave you guys alone. And this Melee vs Brawl thing is like saying you have a wrong religion and it's so old anyways. THE GAME IS 3 YEARS OLD DAMMIT.

Anyways, back on topic, this is actually just the regular powershield, but this is just a feature of it that hasn't been really abused before. And people, keep in mind you need to get that powershield too first.

Zeallyx

Fox mains get all the girlz

You have to press shield on the first frame and then release shield and press A on the second frame. It's not that easy. I love melee and I love Brawl, but one thing I've noticed is that Brawl players never go into Melee threads and complain or make fun of them for playing their game of choice. Melee is supposed to have the more mature community. Please grow up
But he's kinda right..

GimR

NNID
VGBC_GimR
But he's kinda right..
If doing it on the first frame like described in the video was easy to do he'd be kind of right. I played Melee and I was very technical, it's on par with some of the difficult things in Melee

Zeallyx

Fox mains get all the girlz
If doing it on the first frame like described in the video was easy to do he'd be kind of right. I played Melee and I was very technical, it's on par with some of the difficult things in Melee
Again, this is like DIing.

But I agree it can be exploited into win

Baro

Smash Journeyman
I'd also like to point out that "Power Shield Cancelling" is a horrible name.
What on Earth am I cancelling when I do this?

TL?

Smash Ace
It should be called "TL?ing". That's a good name.

But seriously, I'm wondering if this really going to change the metagame as much as people are hyping it up to.

GimR

NNID
VGBC_GimR

I've already admitted the name doesn't make sense because I rushed the video and misinterpreted some things. The problem is now that I've coined the name, everyone is using it so calling it something that makes more sense won't happen until the hype dies down and the smash lab can change the name(or have no name) when they release their new terms list

Top Bottom