• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Potentially useful minor AT

Xiivi

So much for friendship huh...
Premium
BRoomer
Star KO Cancel

What it is:
When you are about to die off the top of the screen, due to the lack of hitstun you are usually able to perform an attack/airdodge before dying off the top. When you normally die off the top, you would go into an animation where you fly in the background and your death takes a little bit longer. This is a star ko, however, you can cancel this and force your respawn to occur as if you had died off the bottom or sides of the stage if you use a grappling move as you die.

Who can do it:
Samus, Link, Toon Link (I can't seem to get it to work with Lucas, odd)

How you do it:
Right as you are about to die, simply hit grab to perform your grapple, instead of being star KOed you will respawned much faster.

Potential Uses:
Punishing taunts opponents thought they'd be able to get away with (IE, Mario's growth taunt, etc...) and catching people off guard in general. Also useful for quickly punishing attacks such as jigglypuff's rest. In teams battles you'd be able to respawn faster so your partner isn't left fighting 2 vs. 1 for too long.

.kR0

Smash Journeyman
1. People usually don't taunt or use laggy taunts
2. No one uses Jigglies rest anymore.

I don't see potential in this little discovery.

Funny though.

Fliperotchy

Smash Journeyman
calling it star cancelling is kinda dumb though.

you could have easily posted a thread titled "a cool little trick" or something, and then just explained how you can respawn faster instead of giving it a cheesy name.

2DLogic

Smash Cadet
Seems like this would have more use in team battles than anywhere else, that way you'd minimize the time your partner spent fighting two against one.

Razed

Smash Ace
Sounds cool =)

My friends and I always taunt one way or another... style is important.

Niko_K

Smash Master
This is far from an AT...it is also far from useful....Woah your opponent gets to see you spawn faster!

Lovage 805

Smash Champion
Why are you guys giving him so much flak for this. Star canceling is a dumb name, it doesn't need a name. It's just a cool trick, that we should thank him for sharing with us.

Zenonfury

Smash Cadet
Yah this is interesting..and toon link can use it eh? cool, why flame when its just a cool find...heh

Solo Assass1n

Smash Journeyman
This is far from an AT...it is also far from useful....Woah your opponent gets to see you spawn faster!
Actually, it's sorta similar in a way to Falco players in Melee pressing Side B to get killed quicker when they know they won't make it back. It gets them back in the game, and if they are lucky they will catch the other person off guard.

hario.hige

Smash Cadet
Like someone mentioned, it is definitely useful in Team Battles, and I don't think anyone can argue against that.

Star-canceling is as good of a name as any, so why not? It uses common terminology and makes perfect sense.

I recognize the popularity of chastising people who represent useless techniques as AT's and make up bad names for them on top of it, but I don't think that this falls into either category.

Armus

Smash Cadet
calling it star cancelling is kinda dumb though.

you could have easily posted a thread titled "a cool little trick" or something, and then just explained how you can respawn faster instead of giving it a cheesy name.
=D You're one to talk, aren't you Mr. Cack? Anyways...sounds interesting. I know a few people who still taunt, so this could be useful.

OoNoiRoO

Smash Journeyman
It's a cool trick, he didn't say it was game breaking or anything, and TBH I think it's useful for what it is, especially in Team Battles.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Question: A little clarification is needed. Does this indeed make you die as if you've died off the Bottom/Side of the screen (immediate KO), which would be an obvious glitch, or will it simply make you get KO:ed by hitting the screen (whose name I can't remember at the moment)?

LOLhahaDEAD

Smash Cadet
I probably won't find much use it for it personally, but it's definitely kind of interesting. Nice find.

Xiivi

So much for friendship huh...
Premium
BRoomer
Question: A little clarification is needed. Does this indeed make you die as if you've died off the Bottom/Side of the screen (immediate KO), which would be an obvious glitch, or will it simply make you get KO:ed by hitting the screen (whose name I can't remember at the moment)?
No, you do not hit the front of the screen. It is similar to dying off the bottom/side. When you die off the bottom/side you know the explosion-esque thing that happens? This happens with this glitch as well, except it's a very small explosion and looks very pixelated as if the explosion is being crammed at the top of the screen where you died.

I noticed this technique because I usually spam airdodge as I'm about to die, and was playing samus for fun, and hitting z caused the grapple to come out instead of an airdodge. Then when I died I stopped for a second and asked my friend "Did I just respawn without going through the Star KO animation?" and we tested it and found out how it works. It's a cool minor thing that's pretty character specific (since only 3 can use it), but it can be useful in specific instances.

And for those who want to whine about it having a name, don't. It cancels your Star KO, so I just said Star Cancel because it just makes sense, if you really want then call it Star KO Cancel, I don't care. It's not like I was "OMG, THIS IS THE NEXT GAMEBREAKING AT, XIIVI SCREEN SMACKING!!". Gez.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
(since only 3 can use it)
Four.

And for those who want to whine about it having a name, don't. It cancels your Star KO, so I just said Star Cancel because it just makes sense, if you really want then call it Star KO Cancel, I don't care. It's not like I was "OMG, THIS IS THE NEXT GAMEBREAKING AT, XIIVI SCREEN SMACKING!!". Gez.
Star KO Cancel is much more appropriate than Star Cancel.

Rui

Smash Cadet
This could be useful against Snake.
Thats it.
Well, considering you can actually cancel Snake's taunt at any time by hitting A, no, it's not useful against Snake.

But then again, I always taunt, so it could be useful against me. =P

Tipzntrix

Smash Apprentice
The name is fine, I think. I like the discovery, by the way. :). I dont' play any of those charcters though.

bowz10190

Smash Apprentice
Well, considering you can actually cancel Snake's taunt at any time by hitting A, no, it's not useful against Snake.

But then again, I always taunt, so it could be useful against me. =P
They aren't talking just about snake's taunt, I don't think.
Most snakes plant mines and set their down b(don't know name) once they've killed a character.
Then again, the taunt is just as bad if not canceled.

TheTruth07

Smash Rookie
for those who like to taunt after kills, try "flexing," or pressing pause during your character's taunt animation (or DeDeDe's crouch) in order to emphasize a certain pose. this negates "star canceling" and makes you look like a jac/kass all in one...

and for those who cant sense it, yes im just joking. my friends and i only do it against each other, but seriosly during friendlies its a pretty good insult.

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
thanks man for sharing this. maining one of those chars this helps and is nice to know so thanks.

star cancelling is stupid name tho.

Top Bottom