• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Potential * Starting roster on Japanese eshop

ptrk83

PRiDE
NNID
X-ptrk83-X
Saw this today after the announcement video on my Japanese 3ds eshop while hoping and looking for a downloadable demo.. lol.

This could be the official starter list being that they usually only show non unlockable characters on "official" select screen screens before launch of game.

Attachments

Last edited:

quotidianmusic

Smash Rookie
If this were true I'd.. hm. I feel like there would have to be a lot more unlockable newcomers.... Maybe it's just me wanting more newcomers but it's basically just clones left to unlock from this screen

wizardto1

Smash Lord
NNID
waddledee3
3DS FC
1676-4166-2291
The whole Mario cast are starters!!!:crazy: Why is Wario unlockable???

Last edited:

Ursaguy

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5472-7859-2409
Last time both 3rd party characters were unlockable. I don't think they'd change that, especially for Pac Man.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Well this is interesting. So according to this, Lucina is an unlockable.

Pretty happy that Toon Link is most likely a starter this time around. :)

25%Cotton

Smash Ace
NNID
Samu.S
3DS FC
4785-5442-4678
so the digital download card is ACTUALLY released now...
it better be there when i go to the store tomorrow... it was so awkward when i went a week or two ago and the lady looked at me like i was crazy when i asked where they were.

ptrk83

PRiDE
NNID
X-ptrk83-X
Last time both 3rd party characters were unlockable. I don't think they'd change that, especially for Pac Man.
Yeah but they never appeared on the initial character screen shots found online..They kept that hidden. This was blatantly out in the open on the E-Shop.

ptrk83

PRiDE
NNID
X-ptrk83-X
This is seriously bugging me too. They haven't done it in every other game-why now?

Well Rosalina and Luma represent the galaxy series.. They even have their own victory music that differs from the Mario gang.. so maybe Yoshi isn't in the middle after all.

4cast

Smash Ace
NNID
luma77
3DS FC
4511-0457-7629
I'm Surprised Palutena is not unlockable but there still is quite a few Non Clone newcomers like Bowser Jr and DHD

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
That is every officially revealed character thus far other than Lucina and the Mii Fighters, but we know the Mii Fighters are selected via a sepcial method anyway.

Fire Tactician

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4596-9948-4995
It's so jarring seeing Yoshi in the middle of the Mario reps....
Welp, the most visually jarring part of the leak apparently appears to be true...

That said, this is a dream starter list. It only leaves out Lucina (fair enough) and Mii Fighters (customizations are off)... Wow. There's a chance that this is the roster up until the point where you unlock a character that hasn't been announced yet (Ness?), but it does seem odd to hide away so few newcomers. Then again, Brawl did that too, so it's not unprecedented.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Well Rosalina and Luma represent the galaxy series.. They even have their own victory music that differs from the Mario gang.. so maybe Yoshi isn't in the middle after all.
The difference is, that as much as I wished the Galaxy series was totally a new IP about Rosalina at the time, Super Mario Galaxy is still a core Mario game. And Rosalina only ever appears in core Mario games and core Mario spin-offs, up to this point. She represents a part of the core Mario series, not her very own series (even though she's the real main character of Galaxy 1, since 99% of the story elements focus on her).

Yoshi has his own franchise though, and has always represented his own franchise in Smash, even having the unique logo (something Rosalina doesn't have). It's odd to group him in the middle of the core Mario characters, since he doesn't represent them. Yoshi has much more involvement in his own series than in core Mario games.

Just a nitpick really, but still, it's an odd decision. Maybe it's fixed when the full roster unlocks though.

Second Power

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0774-5502-4430
Yoshi in the middle of the Mario character? Shulk with the 3rd parties? Faaa- oh wait, its official. :troll:

Joking aside, I'm surprised the only FE unlockable is Lucina, and that we have three FE characters on the starting roster. I'm equally surprised that none of the revealed pokemon are unlockable. Ditto with the split transformation characters. Basically, I'm surprised that none of the revealed characters sans Lucina needs to be unlocked.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Wario is going to be unlockable... wat.

Anyways, according to the leak that leaves us with a mere 12 unlockables, 2 less than in Brawl.

Fire Tactician

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4596-9948-4995
Because I'm obsessive, that makes the unlockables as follows:

Newcomers: (4)
Bowser Jr.
Duck Hunt Dog
Dark Pit
Lucina

Veterans: (8)
Wario
Mr. Game & Watch
Ganondorf
Dr. Mario
Falco
Jigglypuff
R.O.B.
Ness

4 Newcomers (3 Unrevealed), 8 Veterans, so a total of 12 Unlockable Characters.

Brawl had:

Newcomers: (6)
Snake
Sonic
Wolf
Toon Link
R.O.B.
Lucario

Veterans: (7)
Marth
Mr. Game & Watch
Falco
Ganondorf
Ness
Jigglypuff
Luigi

6 Newcomers (4 Unrevealed), 7 Veterans, so a total of 13 Unlockable Characters

To be fair, while the new game has less, it's right on par with Brawl's unlockables. Heck, Dr. Mario seems to be more like a newcomer to me since he's returning from retirement and would be a surprise if it weren't for the leaks.

edit: Also note, this might not be the starting roster- if say the unlockable order was Robin -> Shulk -> Pac-Man -> Toon Link -> Rosalina -> Palutena -> Dark Pit, the picture could have just been taken after unlocking Palutena.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
By the way, if this is the starting roster it probably means we're not getting anymore character reveals and Shulk gave us our final trailer.

Last edited:

Storm Eagle

Smash Lord
NNID
Storm88
Ok, there is NO way the spots without characters will be plain gray/black. I am now 99% sure that we will get at least 4 new characters if the Mii gets a spot as well.

Fire Tactician

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4596-9948-4995
Ok, there is NO way the spots without characters will be plain gray/black. I am now 99% sure that we will get at least 4 new characters if the Mii gets a spot as well.
I'd believe it. Gamexplain called it "ugly" at first, but with all the colors of the characters, I'm sure that it'll look better on the 3DS screen. If the background was any other flashier color, the screen would just be overwhelming. The black/grey helps to mute the screen a little bit and make it look cleaner.

A Lucky Person

Smash Journeyman
NNID
aLuckyPerson
3DS FC
4914-3160-6884
This would make sense. It was the same in Brawl - the unlockable characters either weren't announced or had spoiler tags on the Dojo website. This time around it seems as though we get everyone we've officially been shown right up front.

EDIT: Lucina is the only one that isn't here, but clones have always been locked from the start so it also falls right in line with other games. :chuckle:

Last edited:

Storm Eagle

Smash Lord
NNID
Storm88
Luigi is a starter now, even though on his reveal Sakurai said he is unlockable? Weird, but he could have changed his mind.

Fire Tactician

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4596-9948-4995
This would make sense. It was the same in Brawl - the unlockable characters either weren't announced or had spoiler tags on the Dojo website. This time around it seems as though we get everyone we've officially been shown right up front.
Forever alone
:4lucina:

ptrk83

PRiDE
NNID
X-ptrk83-X
That's what I was thinking.

Fire Tactician

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4596-9948-4995
Clones have always been unlockable. I'll edit my original post.
I fixed your post too. ;P
Hmm... maybe her odd placement on the leaked roster doesn't mean that she's in the clone corner- it's just the unlockable corner... which could mean that Dark Pit might not be a clone!

oscuras

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2105-8721-7551
Guess the leak IS true, everyone who had weird positions have the same positions here; Shulk with 3rd Parties, Yoshi in-between Bowser and Rosalina, and Toon Link with Zelda and Co. And the background is just a boring black background.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Luigi is a starter now, even though on his reveal Sakurai said he is unlockable? Weird, but he could have changed his mind.
He never said that, he just said that they've never revealed Luigi pre-release.

A Lucky Person

Smash Journeyman
NNID
aLuckyPerson
3DS FC
4914-3160-6884
Hmm... maybe her odd placement on the leaked roster doesn't mean that she's in the clone corner- it's just the unlockable corner... which could mean that Dark Pit might not be a clone!
I would be inclined to agree with you if Ganondorf, Toon Link, and Falco weren't with their series'. I believe the super clones have their little trio section on purpose, but the other three have been deemed different enough to not be true clones.

Last edited:

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
This could just be a screenshot taken after a few characters were unlocked, but I could see why they'd give you so many characters from the start, I mean even with all these guys ya still gotta go through the trouble of unlocking the other 10 or 15. Although I like how much smash differentiates itself from other fighting games, one thing I'd like it to take from them is having the entire roster unlocked from the beginning. I mean there's so much equipment that has to be unlocked as well and even possibly alternate costumes.

Fire Tactician

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4596-9948-4995
That doesn't make sense, then Bowser Jr. would be over there.
Ah, I forgot about that. Hmm... Dark Pit still confuses me. He'd be an easy clone, but the unique weapon in his artwork throws me for a loop. Well, I guess there are better places to take a nap than on the ground to discuss Dark Pit.

strawhatninja

Smash Ace
NNID
hecticzacattack
3DS FC
4441-9826-4993
I can't believe Luigi wouldn't be unlockable he has been unlockable in every game so far.

KingBroly

Smash Lord
So...apparently one Japanese retailer sold a copy of the game. There's a photo going around. That same roster is shown, with the bottom screen intact.

4cast

Smash Ace
NNID
luma77
3DS FC
4511-0457-7629
Ah, I forgot about that. Hmm... Dark Pit still confuses me. He'd be an easy clone, but the unique weapon in his artwork throws me for a loop. Well, I guess there are better places to take a nap than on the ground to discuss Dark Pit.
Can I have a look at that Dark Pit Picture? For the life of me I can't figure out what weapon he is Using!

Top Bottom