• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Potential Roster/Stage Leak Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheOthin

Smash Apprentice
if they weren't planning on including dr mario or dark pit or lucina the "original" CSS would've been just 46 characters and would've been designed completely differently

all the characters on the roster have been known for months, that's plenty of time to fix the CSS if necessary

you don't see any traces of mewtwo or other members of the forbidden seven on brawl's CSS because it's calibrated to the roster they ultimately stuck with

4cast

Smash Ace
NNID
luma77
3DS FC
4511-0457-7629
Falco got changed pretty handily in Brawl.

His fsmash, jab, utilt, nair, fair, and uair are all completely different moves, and many characters have a "backwards kick" and "drill" move for their bair and dair, and Falco's are pretty different from Fox's in terms of properties.

His moveset is less cloned than TL's, so I don't see any issue with him not being considered one of the "hard" clones.
Ok I reject what I said about Lucas If Falco Is with Fox then Lucas should be with Ness Since Lucas is Less of a clone of Falco

CapnMuffin

Smash Apprentice
Haha what? People saying the timing of Brinstar and Tomodachi Life is suspicious. When you view it from the perspective of "assumed real" it becomes merely simple corroboration of true information.

Last edited:

Novice_Brave

Smash Journeyman
But Toon Link has basically the same specials and FS. Kinda sucks for the Zelda series that since Brawl, they've had 5 reps, two of which are (semi-)clones and 3 FS moves between them. Assuming Ganondorf is returning, as per the leak. Then we've got KI with as many reps as games, and I foresee, Pittoo having at least a few specials different. Uncool to the highest degree.

That is a great point. I really dislike how the CSS looks, especially compared to the other Smash games and the E3 demo. I think 'sloppy' is a great description. There's so much evidence in both directions, this is making me go nuts. I guess I'm jsut really trying to hold onto the hope that some of the West's popular characters will be getting in too.
Since Dark Pit is lumped in with both Lucina and Doctor Mario, it's honestly an almost sure assumption that he'll be a very, very hard clone like they are. If those characters are lumped together as the hard clones, which honestly makes the most sense right now, then he will more likely than not have the exact same moveset as Pit, so I wouldn't worry about them giving him unfair treatment by making him more different than the average clone. I'm willing to bet he'd be even more similar to Pit than the average clone.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Shulk's positioning isn't that weird. They are simply making the roster look aesthetically pleasing by putting him there, and he's pretty much one of the few characters in that roster (the other would be Wii Fit Trainer) that can properly start that row dominated by third parties. Kind of like how Mr. Game & Watch was leading the third party line in Brawl. He was there purely because of design choice.

TheOthin

Smash Apprentice
Shulk's positioning isn't that weird. They are simply making the roster look aesthetically pleasing by putting him there, and he's pretty much one of the few characters in that roster (the other would be Wii Fit Trainer) that can properly start that row dominated by third parties. Kind of like how Mr. Game & Watch was leading the third party line in Brawl. He was there purely because of design choice.
so why not stick G&W there this time too

4cast

Smash Ace
NNID
luma77
3DS FC
4511-0457-7629
Since Dark Pit is lumped in with both Lucina and Doctor Mario, it's honestly an almost sure assumption that he'll be a very, very hard clone like they are. If those characters are lumped together as the hard clones, which honestly makes the most sense right now, then he will more likely than not have the exact same moveset as Pit, so I wouldn't worry about them giving him unfair treatment by making him more different than the average clone. I'm willing to bet he'd be even more similar to Pit than the average clone.
I would Assume they would give him the Lighting Chariot as a final smash can give his Arrows a Shadow Effect Perhaps he would be a bit stronger but eh who knows at this point we've had so much evidence colliding with each other There is no point guessing anymore We will only have more chance to be wrong

Novice_Brave

Smash Journeyman
Ok I reject what I said about Lucas If Falco Is with Fox then Lucas should be with Ness Since Lucas is Less of a clone of Falco
Definitely, Lucas is almost entirely original. Nair, fair, bair, dair, usmash, dsmash, dash attack, ftilt, utilt, and even how he grabs are all completely different moves. The only moves he shares are his specials, his uair, jab, and his dtilt. I don't think it's fair to really consider him much of a clone at all, and his removal doesn't make a ton of sense to me either.

EDIT: Even his dtilt is fairly different. Ness' is just a fast kick as opposed to the strange spin Lucas does.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Not to mention that he actually has some (albeit distant) ties to Pac-man.

so why not stick G&W there this time too
Because of the way the CSS is ordered. It appears to be organized by the age of the franchises. Xenoblade is not only the youngest franchise, but it is owned by Monolith Soft, which was a former Namco property. It's not that weird. If anything it would be weird to stick Shulk at the top next to Wario.

closetkpopfan

Smash Rookie
Has anyone considered the possibility that the leaker rearranged the CSS himself? As a means to throw Nintendo or anyone off his trail maybe?

To reiterate, the additional characters ARE simply fan speculation. Nobody ever confirmed they were actually in the game.
That's not really fair. Some mods, as well as Masterlinkx, and that Conor have heavily implied there are more characters. No one has actually "confirmed" any more characters obviously, but there is definite teasing going on here. I've said it before and I'll say it again, if this is the full roster and there are no more characters I'm going to be severely disappointed in the mods here as well as masterlinkx and Conor for stringing people along and getting their hopes up.

I believe the leak is true, but I'm extremely skeptical about there being any more characters. Why were they not just all revealed to begin with? That makes no sense, if you're going to leak you're going to leak it all, not leave off 4 or so characters so you can dangle it above everyone's head. This is why I think masterlink and Conor are full of it, they refurse to "confirm" anything else, but basically outright imply there are more characters. That's exactly what trolls from fake leaks do, they try and stay in the spot light as long as the possibly can, which is why I don't understand why everyone is falling for this whole "not everyone is unlocked!" crap that's going around everywhere.

LeeYawshee

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2621-3044-6895
But Toon Link has basically the same specials and FS. Kinda sucks for the Zelda series that since Brawl, they've had 5 reps, two of which are (semi-)clones and 3 FS moves between them. Assuming Ganondorf is returning, as per the leak. Then we've got KI with as many reps as games, and I foresee, Pittoo having at least a few specials different. Uncool to the highest degree.
I agree that the final smash sharing and moveset sharing in Zelda has to stop, it's a disgrace, but I somewhat disagree that Dark Pit will have different moves. MAYBE different weapons and moves that work differently but still the same move. Like maybe his side special will use a claw and deal more damage but not knock someone up, but still have the same movement as Pit. All of the clones will have moves that work pretty much exactly like the original, with only a few differences. I feel like his normal moves will be exactly the same at least (Pittoo had his own version of Pit's Bow). And I know for a fact their up special will be and work exactly the same, if not Pittoo's will be slightly better(since he can fly forever except when -REDACTED FOR SPOILERS-).

Long story short: Same attacks, possibly different visuals, usually different effects/attributes

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Agreed. People are overthinking Shulk's placement in the roster.

Personally I still think he is close to the third party chars as a nod to Monolith Soft being Namco's property in the past.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
That's not really fair. Some mods, as well as Masterlinkx, and that Conor have heavily implied there are more characters. No one has actually "confirmed" any more characters obviously, but there is definite teasing going on here. I've said it before and I'll say it again, if this is the full roster and there are no more characters I'm going to be severely disappointed in the mods here as well as masterlinkx and Conor for stringing people along and getting their hopes up.
They don't actually know that much more than us, they just say it's highly likely. The mods are speculating, just like us, their mod status doesn't mean that their speculation is worth much more. As for Masterlink, I personally believe he's just blowing hot air.

Last edited:

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
So I got a question about this leak

Here's the PotD from May 22

"Pic of the day. In previous games in the series, if you chose the red team in a team battle, your Mario would have been red. But now you can choose any color you want! The color outlining the characters will show their team affiliation."

This isn't the toggle-able outlines that you can put on characters to see them better. This sounds like a feature specifically for team battles, that doesn't sound optional.

Compare to the leak photo

No outlines, but it is a team battle. hmm.

Probably not enough to disprove the thing, but definitely fishy.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

backlot

Smash Journeyman
Nobody is getting the game early in japan? Like how somebody got pokemon xy early?
People got XY early in Canada and Europe, not Japan. Japan actually stuck to the street date pretty one with that game.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352

"Pic of the day. In previous games in the series, if you chose the red team in a team battle, your Mario would have been red. But now you can choose any color you want! The color outlining the characters will show their team affiliation."

This isn't the toggle outlines that you can put on characters to see them better. This sounds like a feature specifically for team battles, that doesn't sound optional.

Thoughts?
That's... a pretty good point. I mean, it seems Lucina and Shulk are using their red colors, so I could buy that... but then there's the problem of Ganondorf and Charizard being their standard colors. To be honest that photo has always come off as incredibly fishy to me and is the primary reason I'm not buying this leak 100% yet.

Raider 88

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Raider704
3DS FC
5086-1674-5462

This isn't the toggle-able outlines that you can put on characters to see them better. This sounds like a feature specifically for team battles, that doesn't sound optional.

Thoughts?
It's very fishy imo. It also makes me realize how garbage the leak photos are compared to the in-game photos taken by Sakurai and friends. I guess I forgot how good the game looks on 3ds :137:

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
The characters can't have colored outlines in a tag battle if outlines are disabled, can they? I don't see black outlines around any of the characters in the leak.
Like I mentioned in the post, these are different from the black outlines that you can toggle. From Sakurai's quote, I'm inferring that these are non optional outlines that everyone has in team battles, instead of forcing you to be a different color. The black outlines are confirmed to be on a toggle, however, so they don't matter in this.

Also I have to give credit to @TumblrFamous to pointing this out to me, I didn't catch it myself. I just looked up the PotD.

Last edited:

A Lucky Person

Smash Journeyman
NNID
aLuckyPerson
3DS FC
4914-3160-6884

Thoughts?
Look closer. The outlines are there, but the option to make them thinner may just be in use. I can see blue on Charizard and Ganondorf and red on Lucina and Shulk.

EDIT: I can't see the blue outlines. The background is what I'm seeing there.

Last edited:

LeeYawshee

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2621-3044-6895

Thoughts?
Lucina and Shulk are red team
Ganondorf and Charizard are green team.
Charizard is on the green team and he's orange.

Edit: Ganondorf and Charizard are on the blue team, not green. My mistake.

Last edited:

backlot

Smash Journeyman
It's a pretty blurry photo but its worth noting that Charizard and Ganondorf are against a blue background. It might make a blue outline difficult to see.

Edit: A blue background might also make a green outline hard to see if that is indeed which team they're on.

Last edited:

Novice_Brave

Smash Journeyman
The characters can't have colored outlines in a tag battle if outlines are disabled, can they? I don't see black outlines around any of the characters in the leak.
As he says in the post, this (colored outlines) seems to be entirely replacing teams being represented by character colors, which would mean it is most likely NOT optional, unlike the outlines that are simply there to allow you to see your characters better.

salmonofdoubt

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4957-2628-7737
if they weren't planning on including dr mario or dark pit or lucina the "original" CSS would've been just 46 characters and would've been designed completely differently

all the characters on the roster have been known for months, that's plenty of time to fix the CSS if necessary

you don't see any traces of mewtwo or other members of the forbidden seven on brawl's CSS because it's calibrated to the roster they ultimately stuck with
I didn't mean they literally threw them in at the end because they wouldn't fit anywhere, I mean Sakurai clearly considers "last minute clones" an independent category. They all have something in common so it is plausible that they are grouped together. If the CSS had Pikachu, Meta Knight, and Bowser next to each other then you would have a point.

I believe the leak is true, but I'm extremely skeptical about there being any more characters. Why were they not just all revealed to begin with? That makes no sense, if you're going to leak you're going to leak it all, not leave off 4 or so characters so you can dangle it above everyone's head. This is why I think masterlink and Conor are full of it, they refurse to "confirm" anything else, but basically outright imply there are more characters. That's exactly what trolls from fake leaks do, they try and stay in the spot light as long as the possibly can, which is why I don't understand why everyone is falling for this whole "not everyone is unlocked!" crap that's going around everywhere.
I completely agree with this.

Reila

That Mario render is fake.
Like I mentioned in the post, these are different from the black outlines that you can toggle. From Sakurai's quote, I'm inferring that these are non optional outlines that everyone has in team battles, instead of forcing you to be a different color. The black outlines are confirmed to be on a toggle, however, so they don't matter in this.
I dunno, I can't see Sakurai giving us the option to toggle black outlines and at the same time, making the tag battle outlines obligatory.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Look closer. The outlines are there, but the option to make them thinner may just be in use. I can see blue on Charizard and Ganondorf and red on Lucina and Shulk.

EDIT: I can't see the blue outlines. The background is what I'm seeing there.
I see no backgrounds there myself. Definitely suspicious.

I dunno, I can't see Sakurai giving us the option to toggle black outlines and at the same time, making the tag battle outlines obligatory.
The reason it's obligatory is so you can see what color team you are on. In past games, having a certain costume was obligatory to do that. This PotD says the costumes are no longer obligatory, this replaces it so you can be on any team with any costume.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Thoughts?
I dunno, Shulk looks pretty outlined to me. Ganondorf, Charizard, and Lucina also appear to have slight outlines, but it's far more obvious with Shulk.

Maybe my eyes are bad though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
I dunno, Shulk looks pretty outlined to me. Ganondorf, Charizard, and Lucina also appear to have slight outlines, but it's far more obvious with Shulk.

All 4 of them have outlines. The outlines even carry over into the victory screen if you look hard enough.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859

Shulk just appears to be wearing red to me. It's so much more obvious in Sakurai's pic, you can easily see the blue against a dark background. Here you can't even see it against a cloud? I don't think it's there.

All 4 of them have outlines. The outlines even carry over into the victory screen if you look hard enough.
You mean the victory screen with the misspelling? That's an even shakier point, imo.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Is it possible that if the outlines are turned off, in team battle they are set to the thinnest possible outline, and that's why they are a little hard to see in this picture? I do see them though, just have to look really hard.

Reila

I can clearly see outlines around Ganondorf and Shulk.

D

Deleted member

Shulk just appears to be wearing red to me. It's so much more obvious in Sakurai's pic, you can easily see the blue against a dark background. Here you can't even see it against a cloud? I don't think it's there.

You mean the victory screen with the misspelling? That's an even shakier point, imo.
Look at Shulk's hair. I don't think his hair has a faint red outline in any official artwork or Xenoblade itself.

SmasherP83

Smash Ace
NNID
SmasherP83
3DS FC
4699-8697-4633
And even Sakurai agrees that cuts are ugly. But the thing about cuts is that something can be done about them with DLC, which is why I have faith in the DLC leak.

WHICH REMINDS ME: Recently after this leak came out, the ESBR rating showed up for Smash! Do you guys think this adds credibility?
It's stilll RP. I think...

Novice_Brave

Smash Journeyman

So if you turn off tag battle outlines, do they still allow you to choose any color for team battles? They've never allowed that in the past, and for good reason - on a team, readability is key. It's a pretty major design point for this game type, and while they're on the same team, Charizard and Ganondorf are quite obviously not wearing their blue colors. It's incredibly doubtful that they would let you do a team battle without having some color indicator of who's on which team.

That said, I think it's possible there are outlines in that picture and it's just so blurry, low-res, and inopportune with Ganondorf and charizard being against the blue that they're very difficult to see. Doesn't Lucina's sword look red? Couldn't that be because it's outlined?

Also, in the PoTD, the outlines shown actually are fairly thin, so it'd be easier for them to disappear with a blurry low res pic.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom