• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Post Patch And DLC Discoveries: Infinites, 0-Deaths, And More

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
DI exists, y'know

SDFox

Smash Apprentice
What exactly was changed in the update in terms of character balances? I know the DLC characters and stages came out, but can someone get me a list of changes, if any happened? I know a couple did. Thanks
I can't tell you exatly, but theres a lot. Just for an example zelda's second hitbox on her up -b no longer kills.

3DS FC
0061-0163-0572
How was that Ryu elbow thing not news already. I discovered that quickly. Oh well, can't claim it if I didn't report on it. Besides, I discovered Ryu's dair fun, which you can read about in the Moveset thread for Ryu.

LaunchStar

Smash Cadet
I know this is probably just me, but hitting Ryu feels as fulfilling and damaging as hitting a brick wall.

Meanwhile, Lucas is one of my new mains. Haven't touched Roy, although looking at his HD redesign... *puts on sunglasses* I'd like to.
YEAAAAAAAAHHHHH

Glutten

Smash Rookie
oh man this is terrible news, what happened to nintendo's quality control?
they better patch those issues out fast
they have handled out infinites and locks well in the past so hopefully they are ready to release a soft patch soon

ShadyWolfe

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShaDow94
3DS FC
1203-9253-9419
Did Little Mac get touched in this update? What did they do to my main? (Or Villager, my secondary, what'd they do to him/her?)
From what I heard Villager had his down throw move and Little Mac had damage increase but you should check the character boards.

Chinaux

Smash Ace
All of these things are so impractical. Especially the Lucas "0 to death". Marth obviously DI'd in the same place, and reading their DI is probably the most impractical thing that you could do. It's literally luck at that point.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
For the love of God please fix the "DESCOVERED!" Typo. :p

shadowdude

Smash Apprentice
I've fought some For Glory Roys and Ryus today and there's already someone who's really good with them, and it hasn't even been a full week yet. How's that even possible?
If it was on the 3ds one of them might've been me(roy)

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
Falco can do a reverse Barrel Roll? Peppy would be disappointed.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I've been told the Ryu infinite isn't true.

That Lucas one has a lot of way to get out unlike the Peach one Japanese Peach's pulled on Zero.

Uffe

Smash Hero
How often do you see anyone pull off footstooling on an actually player? Because even if Lucas does have an infinite, it doesn't mean it will be easy.

Kwinston

Smash Cadet
NNID
KWINSTON
Lucas already has a incredibly scarty combo discovered where he can take any opponent from 0 to death percents off of a down throw.
Typo. I think that "scarty" is supposed to be "scary," right?

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
Man almost everyone has zero to death that work almost exactly t he same as this. The captain falcon boards found many, why don't those get articles? It's not really news article worthy.

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
You would think that after 16 years of these games, people would learn that being able to combo a non-moving CPU doesn't mean that a combo is infinite nor is it guaranteed on an actual player.

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
The best part was Falco getting a major buff. The D-throw nair won't really work well on people who know how to tech, but everything else was just amazing.

Eureka

Smash Ace
So everybody's saying that the footstool combo for Lucas is impractical and can be DI'd out of. How exactly are you supposed to DI that anyway? The better question is, why would it matter? Lucas has so little ending lag after that down throw that I don't see why the Lucas player couldn't just react to the DI and get a footstool anyway.
Man almost everyone has zero to death that work almost exactly t he same as this. The captain falcon boards found many, why don't those get articles? It's not really news article worthy.
It's because the characters are brand new and people are excited to see what sorts of shinanigans they can get into, even if other characters can do things like it.

WaterDemonBaku

Smash Cadet
The Lucas one seems somewhat questionable. Couldn't one just DI out of it? I'd also like it if they showed it being used with a few more characters. (Ryu, Roy, Lucas, Sheik, Diddy, ect.)

The Ryu seems a bit odd. Again, would like to see it used on other characters, and from the few I've fought, that move might be a good mind game.

Falco's seems interesting. I'm not a Falco player but it seems like it could change his placement on the tiers by a bit.

ROOOOOOOOOOOY but srsly same as above, but I do wonder how strong he can be when in rage mode, hoping he might be high tier.

That's my thoughts for now.

Morgan S. Court

Smash Cadet
NNID
MorganSCourt
3DS FC
0216-1002-7781
Great finds! I'll have to do some lab testing after I get them, but it's always satisfying to discover what your favorite characters are capable of.

Almost as satisfying as doing your first perfect-pivot.

Morgan S. Court

Smash Cadet
NNID
MorganSCourt
3DS FC
0216-1002-7781
The Lucas one seems somewhat questionable. Couldn't one just DI out of it? I'd also like it if they showed it being used with a few more characters. (Ryu, Roy, Lucas, Sheik, Diddy, ect.)

The Ryu seems a bit odd. Again, would like to see it used on other characters, and from the few I've fought, that move might be a good mind game.

Falco's seems interesting. I'm not a Falco player but it seems like it could change his placement on the tiers by a bit.

ROOOOOOOOOOOY but srsly same as above, but I do wonder how strong he can be when in rage mode, hoping he might be high tier.

That's my thoughts for now.
True, It seems DI is forgotten about half of the time with different combos, but I hear Roy has incredible combo potential and power. Even for a long charging neutrtal special with significant recoil, 50% is pretty insane.

Last edited:

kesterstudios

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kesterstudios
overall this was a great patch they buffed some of the mediocre characters. my only big problem is that diddy was unnessarily nerfed and none of the other top tiers weren't nerfed at all -_-

Last edited:

WaterDemonBaku

Smash Cadet
overall this was a great patch they buffed some of the mediocre characters. my only big problem is that diddy was unnessarily nerfed and none of the other top tiers weren't nerfed at all -_-
Yea, I just came back from For Glory, and after a few with Sheik, she seems exactly the same. But there's bound to be a nerf for him/her down the road.

Eureka

Smash Ace
This, so much. I was astonished that Shiek, Rosalina, Luigi, Pikachu, Sonic, and Ness are apparently all fair and completely balanced characters, but my man Captain Falcon was way too good and needed to get toned down. It's amazing how the only two major nerfs in this patch went to characters that didn't need to get nerfed. I mean Villager got a buff, freaking Villager, and everybody HATES fighting him. Still, overall I liked most of the balance updates in the patch, good luck to all those Falco players now that you have a character that can actually do something.

lancepantss

Smash Cadet
Showcasing all of the new features in smash's new DLC update, including the greatest feature/discovery of Smash Bros. history -- Ryu's elbow. Leave your thoughts on the comment section on the video :)

Last edited:

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
The Lucas one is messed up by DI, the Falco one likely the same, and now apparently the Ryu one can be rolled out of? This is starting to seem more like clickbait than anything...

But if the Ryu one is an infinite, we need that **** patched ASAP.

Prince Longstrok

Taker of lives, defiler of daughters.
I literally laughed out loud at the "0-death" combos for Lucas.

I cant believe people actually enjoy playing this "competitively", just because Nintendo had to drag their untalented, greedy knobs over Project M. :l

Really, the fault lies in people like GIMR and the other big names for letting Nintendo bully them. As the consumers, you have to take a stand against behavior like that, not cave in.

People are only playing Smash 4 because its new, once (if, that is) the net one comes out, people will drop it, just like Brawl, since it offers absolutely nothing.

Top Bottom