• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Possible Tourney In Western Mass

Almo

Smash Ace
Let's do it up. Maybe.

Ludlow is wicked far.

I'm a ***** when it comes to traveling.

MdrnDayMercutio

Smash Champion
Well...

You should come to this no matter what. You really wouldn't have to help out at all actually, just try and bring as much of a set up as you can.

God I need to work on this whole venue thing... before you guys decide I'm lazy and need to die.

BubbleTea

Smash Apprentice
super mass bros!

me and shawn are gone from the 25th of December until January 10th. Just letting you know.

MdrnDayMercutio

Smash Champion
That works out cause I called today telling them I was looking for January 17th(although I might do the 16th since it was recently requested for a friday). Spring Semesters won't have started by then will they? Since I'm trying to hit that break.

Are many of the interested parties high schoolers? So I can figure out if Fridays would work or not.

Almo

Smash Ace
im high school. and i was going to check if some venue out here was free some week in december so we can get a brawl one out here for december. i know that like all other tournaments are out here, but i'd like to fit more tournaments into my schedule. It won't affect your january one either.

But yes, saturday is more likely a better idea...for me. i MIGHT be free that weekend. when january or late december rolls around i should have an answer if i am or not.

MdrnDayMercutio

Smash Champion
I should know by the end of the weekend if this is gunna manage to happen in January or not.

Ludlow sucks for venues... sadly.

Not sure if I'm gunna make it before the Spring Semester starts for you college kid smarty smarts.

Lord Yawgmoth

Smash Apprentice
Dude.
This would be my first real tourny.

^.^ and it seems like so many Zelda players are going.

I am almost definitely going if it is the 17th (Sat) and if I am going I will tell or bring everyone I know from Berkshire county.

MdrnDayMercutio

Smash Champion
Due to the fact that I'm just not finding a venue out here that isn't going to cost a ludicrous amount that I probably won't make up I'm debating about either trying to get in contact with Andy from TGA(The site of **** Tom/Vigiliante's last tournament) or taking up offers to use a house in Amherest or Lawerence.

This is not currently panning out like I'd originally hoped.

Spife

Smash Master
You want me to check my old highschool? I'm pretty sure I can bend some things to get the venue and it wont cost very much (under 50 I'm sure). I don't even think the guy could give me a figure it was so low. Plus I have good connections at my highschool cause I wasn't a problem child. Good **** Spife, good ****.

Almo

Smash Ace
You want me to check my old highschool? I'm pretty sure I can bend some things to get the venue and it wont cost very much (under 50 I'm sure). I don't even think the guy could give me a figure it was so low. Plus I have good connections at my highschool cause I wasn't a problem child. Good **** Spife, good ****.
I would do the same thing since I'm in a similar situation, except my school is close to GU, and not out west anywhere so it would be nearly pointless. Good **** Spife, good ****.

Spife

Smash Master
Bad news. Well good news but bad news.
Good news: Green light. We don't need a faculty member, we can get the space on the 17th, I don't know what the other problem would have been.
Bad news: $200 venue fee. I forgot about heating costs (I thought it was $50 but maybe it was that much when heating wasn't an issue) and a few other things. But there is hope, he told me to make him an offer. So what do you guys think? Let's think about an offer (and shoot for $200 either way) and get to brainstorming.
If we could get 40-60 people in, a $5 venue fee would cover it. It's a nice venue. Maybe even too much space >.> so the venue fee is worth it. It's not worth $10 though (we need to bring out own tv's).

I'm thinking as an offer we should give a lowball (so anything higher isn't so bad) but also as a first offer an offer that we could cover. I'd say $100 is a good idea but we will still need 30 or so players. I don't know how many locals I can get. Maybe we want to try and get this on the circuit? I know you probably don't want to do something that big Ace but we need advertising (and a good reason to go) to get a lot of players to cover this fee.

Needless to say, this wont be a regular thing -_-

Almo

Smash Ace
hmm that is quite pricey and i'd be away the 17th. if i can convince my dad to skip going to his house that weekend and someone else can give me a ride since i have i-dont-know-where-im-going-even-though-theres-mapquest-and-i-have-a-navigation-system syndrome, i'll definitely be there. i'll look around for TV's that are in my garage and still work. Stuff has just been in there for 6 years. I will attempt to bring friends, even though the 1 kid i played melee with wouldn't travel 10 minutes to game universe <_<

Spife

Smash Master
We should include brawl to get more people too. I was just thinking about melee and it would be hard to get 20 people let alone more. If we include brawl we could get more.
GIving them an answer before the end of the week would be good. It is pricey but we can make him offer. We would need 40 people at $5 a peice to make the 200.
The more attention we can get the more people we can get. If we can get it on the circuit we could probably get it. If we included brawl we might be able to make it (I don't know how brawl tournies are going). I bet NY would be more willing to go cause we're a few hours closer (then Framingham atleast).

I think we can make the venue fee. Anyone be willing to donate some extra munnies? I would but i'm broke -_- I guess the tourny host has to make up for what's missing. I'll see what I can do to pull strings to raise money (or lower the cost).

Thoughts?

Krayn

Smash Apprentice
I would love you if you started doing Mass tournies. I would definitly come to all of them. And i can bring a few friends with me too (3-4).

Spife

Smash Master
look all I know is we literally need 40 people at $5 tocover $200
I would love to do it regularly but we need a lot of people to get this one and I don't even know how it'll go after this -_-

Spife

Smash Master
So just from 2 people that is 7. I can get 4 that I know of, and depending on who's home, 3-4 more. I'm sure I could get more.
10 ish people and that's without MA's regular (MattDotLame, Roman, Questor and Cogsmooch should be counted >.>) and Memphis, Ace...

I figure if we can get this hyped enough we can get Mainhampshire and come CT peeps. The problem is our numbers will have to rival MM -_-

Almo

Smash Ace
well think about all the people who don't bother to travel, and how many random kids we saw at the MM in october. i'm sure there are plenty of locals who would attend, not to mention western MA makes it much more convinient for out-of-staters to consider making the trip. And i know of a few kids who might be willing to go. not entirely sure yet.

Spife

Smash Master
Mmm well I've said it 2-3 times now, I'll start to petition the locals and see what I can scrounge up. I'm sure if I advertise at UMass, GCC, some local high schools and get other people to do the same we can get enough randoms haha.

Deoxys

Smash Lord
I'd show if I could get a ride out there.
From where?

I'd go and I can bring a friend, too, but if it's the 17th (a Wednesday:confused:) I need to ask for the day off of work by today. So working this out more in advance would make it more likely I could go.

MdrnDayMercutio

Smash Champion
Deoxys, we're talking about January, not December.

I was originally trying to do a brawl Event(naturally being a Brawl Player). And than alternate between the two games... if this is gunna be a one time shot doing both is naturally the best idea. I don't know what time constraints are gunna be like, but following the Dazwa plan(Brawl and Melee Singles and Brawl Doubles) would be my personal choice. And if this looks to be a one time event(least with this venue some blend of the two are in order. The date will now be an issue if ECRC Finals are that weekend. Gotta ask Black Mage how set he is on that weekend and if it's likely to change(I guess DSF and M2K have a far better chance of going a week later).

Hmmm... I say we do Singles for both, definatly. I'm down to drop $200 and see what happens on recouping the venue fee. 40 peeps does seem a bit heavy though. For an all Brawl tourney I figured I could get around 17 ish just through who I had talked too though(Riot+ Friends, Memphis+ His car, Me + Friends, BubbleTea and Skin...)

This could work but I'm not so sure about the date... cause of course I'm the one that gave you a date and I suck. Hence me being JohnEveryDayMercutio :p

EDIT:

I will say this much. Rhode Island will be a big help on the melee side if we can get them interested. And KevinM did promise to show up if I did Melee. Dazwa showed interest in Brawl(And we all know he loves teh Melee) which could lead to a little Skler since he loves teh Melee and he loves(like we all do) teh KevinM.

Hmmm...

wWw Dazwa

#BADMAN
I actually only love teh Melee teams. Melee Singles and I are in a rough patch of our relationship.

Spife

Smash Master
I saw melee singles cheating on you dazwa with...what would melee singles cheat on some one with???

Uhh the time I pitched was about 10am-11pm (which is fine). I'd be responsible for damage and opening and locking up so we'd have to be extra careful. We'd only be in one room and all.

Ace do you want me to go back and say $200 is fine or do you wanna try and go lower?

MdrnDayMercutio

Smash Champion
I'm mad cheap haggle, but if they can't budge they can't budge.

$150 seems like it might be something they'd go for. And... shrug.

Almo

Smash Ace
because of christmas, my schedule might go all weird and fluctuate so i would be here for the weekend, allowing me to go. after christmas i'll be entirely sure what my january schedule is. brawl doubles would be awesome.

Lord Yawgmoth

Smash Apprentice
I could pitch in a little more money,

it's not every day that I can get to play with high-level peeps.

....that is, if everyone in this thread is still going, then hell yeah, I would pay an extra $20.
hell, I could probably get other people to pitch in more just to have it happen.

EDIT: 17th is perfect with me. Make sure that at least some of these people are going, and I could probably pitch in a little more (I'm a bit poor, but I could make by, i think)

2nd EDIT: As much as I love Melee, I suck at it now, : ( haven't gotten to play since brawl came out. So a brawl tourny would be nice, although I would join a melee tourny if it was aside a brawl one, just for kicks.

Lord Yawgmoth

Smash Apprentice
haha,
I really want this to happen.

Someone should contact everyone that has posted thus far, and tell them that the tourny is virtually a reality, as long as they come.

I'll volenteer unless Someone that knows them would do it.

Almo

Smash Ace
Hi.

January 17th for me is D: and :(

I will do all that i can to get out there that weekend. But now i definitely will need a ride. I'm willing to pay for a portion of that person's gas and i'm 100% willing to pay the venue fee whatever it may be.

Top Bottom