• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Possible Brawl and Project M Wi-Fi Play Solution Created

tbtechwiz

Smash Apprentice
Wow, this sounds really cool. Congrats for pulling this off! Can you also change the default ruleset, or is that hardcoded by the game?
if you played projectM, the ruleset is defaulted by the game
the server both ours and gamespy's only perform login and matchmaking operations, they do not assign rules or mid-match action data

I kinda skimmed all this stuff so I'm sorry if this has been already answered, but will the new servers be faster or work differently than wifi? I'm asking because I'm concerned with the lag on pm wifi.
its already been explained and it seems that people still believe a server will bypass the bottleneck of one's internet connection, below is how brawl's wifi works compared to netplay:

netplay is pretty much brawl's wifi but more controlled and favoring accurate input over full game speed, and brawl favors full game speed over accurate controls and will delay the controls more to keep game running at 30/60 FPS

but net play sacrifices framerate for more precicely responsive controls

below is a description of how to improve your brawl online or PM wifi:

check that your router is only handling your wii and nearby (if a single other device is connected to it, idle or not), it will bottleneck the latency of your wifi going from your wii to your opponent's)

your internet speed: should be at minimum 1Mb/s UP, 10Mb/s DOWN
PING (this is IMPORTANT): 25 or LESS

if you have problems with wifi, go with sakurai's recomendation and use a LAN connection which is more stable and less prone to noise from neighboring wifi hotspots

also if you insist on using wifi like you are now, I suggest getting an asus gaming router (these can handle having your ipod iphone, android, laptop, TV, computer, wii, and like 70 other devices on it at once without dropping packets), and that you have a connection of at least 3Mb/s UP, 25 Mb/s DOWN, 25ms PING

you can check the speed from a wifi device at http://speedtest.net

Last edited:

tbtechwiz

Smash Apprentice
I have an update on the set, We have a netcode patcher released and I will be testing it later this week, the patcher patches te main.dol to replace the https://gamespy servers
with http://wiimfi.de as the protocol server address

If you have any codes that change behavior the DOL is responsable for, please shift your code addresses beforehand because this patch WILL affect all the offsets in the dol AFTER the server addresses

Time/SpaceMage

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0190-1986-7622
Ok, good to know. I've never played online in Smash (PM or otherwise) so thanks for clearing that up.

Silic0n

Smash Cadet
NNID
Silic0n
The Smash community never ceases to amaze me with the things it puuls off.

tbtechwiz

Smash Apprentice
MAJOR UPDATE HERE!

I have prepared an american WFC patch for us, I need the Japanese, canadian, and PAL ISOs to cover the other people the patcher demands an ISO and not loose files for some stupid reason

NTSC-U (USA ONLY) users download here https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BzAkvxKj8lwURFFieEhYdDlIbHc/edit
RIIVOLUTION REQUIRED
NOT PROJECTM COMPATABLE - please complain to the PMBR to make a riivo version of their mod to use it with this, they will also need to provide me with the codehandler xml params template for their gct

I tested myself and it works with and without mods, problems are to also be reported to Wiimm on the homebrew forums

http://forum.wii-homebrew.com/board...ect-english/51742-wiimmfi-patcher/#post590399

http://forum.wii-homebrew.com/board42-kreativitaet/mkw-server-project-english/51254-own-servers/

If you are having errors extracting, make sure you are using winrar version 5 (windows) or KEKA (Mac)

I supercompressed this to save on my bandwidth

if there are any problems in the link please let me know

tbtechwiz

Smash Apprentice
Sorry for the double post, but this update needs to send a notification to everyone's alerts and it is IMPORTANT

AT THE TIME OF TYPING THIS YOU HAVE LESS THAN 4 HOURS TO REGISTER YOUR FRIEND CODE WITH OUR SERVER

friend codes can be registered at this page: http://wiimmfi.profeibe.at/

if you do not register before the end of may 18th, you will need to delete your brawl save data to play on our servers (be given a new FC which is in place so that we can give out FCs for new people without accidentally giving codes that already exist with someone else, please note connecting with an unregistered FC doesn NOT register it, and by the time a late bird connects, their FC may have been assigned to someone else by our server if its an unregistered code that is)

Misto-Roboto

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
MistoRoboto
3DS FC
3780-9079-0504
Switch FC
3912-9000-6921
Why is a patch needed for this? Is the Wii system itself being patched in a manner which will prohibit certain resolutions of addresses?

If you are having errors extracting, make sure you are using winrar version 5 (windows) or KEKA (Mac)

I supercompressed this to save on my bandwidth
Why are you not using 7z instead of RAR for the compression format? 7z w/ LMZA generally yield higher compression rates.

Last edited:

tbtechwiz

Smash Apprentice
Why is a patch needed for this? Is the Wii system itself being patched in a manner which will prohibit certain resolutions of addresses?

Why are you not using 7z instead of RAR for the compression format? 7z w/ LMZA generally yield higher compression rates.
want to know why?

tell me, what size does a 500MB 7z come out to?

how can it compete...
with my 10GB compressed to 6GB compression?

or my 250MB... to 64MB compression? every compress file I see out there is only a few megs smaller than the contents of it

Misto-Roboto

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
MistoRoboto
3DS FC
3780-9079-0504
Switch FC
3912-9000-6921
want to know why?

tell me, what size does a 500MB 7z come out to?

how can it compete...
with my 10GB compressed to 6GB compression?

or my 250MB... to 64MB compression? every compress file I see out there is only a few megs smaller than the contents of it
Like I said, with 7z using LMZA LMZA2 generally outpeforms just about every other compression algorithm when it comes to size including RAR. You really should reconsider as it is in your best interest noted by your concern about conserving bandwidth. There are other benefits to using 7-Zip in general, one of which is the open-source nature of the software which means it becomes unnecessary for users to run proprietary software on their machines to achieve this goal.

Last edited:

tbtechwiz

Smash Apprentice
Like I said, generally with 7z using LMZA LMZA2 generally outpeforms just about every other compression algorithm when it comes to size including RAR. You really should reconsider as it is in your best interest noted by your concern about conserving bandwidth. There are other benefits to using 7-Zip in general, one of which is the open-source nature of the software which means it becomes unnecessary for users to run proprietary software on their machines to achieve this goal.
I would like to know how small it can compress a 1 gig pack to then and what the dictionary size is then because 32 KB compression just kinda stores the file

Misto-Roboto

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
MistoRoboto
3DS FC
3780-9079-0504
Switch FC
3912-9000-6921
I would like to know how small it can compress a 1 gig pack to then and what the dictionary size is then because 32 KB compression just kinda stores the file
I can find out when I get home tonight. None of the machines I'm on at work right now has the required RAM to make a dictionary size of 1024MB. I may follow up with you via PM to see if I can help get this figured out for you.

Top Bottom