• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Possible biweekly in Forest Hill, MD? Now CONFIRMED.

Bones0

Smash Legend
I have sorted out everything based on your guys' input so just go to THIS THREAD to read the details and let me know how many setups/TVs you can bring. Thanks.

I recently came across a new LAN center called Graphix Gaming, and my Halo team is currently hooking the owner up by getting loads of Halo players to come and start LAN sessions and tournaments. The place is decked out with technology, and it also has loads of space perfect for Smashfests and tournaments. Smashers would be pretty much wholly responsible for TVs and setups, but if there is enough people wanting to play there he would be happy to host tournaments every other week, maybe even every week.

There is one main room with plenty of room for at least 20 TV stations (he has 24 monitor stations set up right now), and there is extra room if we use the back rooms. The location is pretty superb as well, being within 15 minutes of a Pizza Hut, Subway, McDonalds, etc. The place itself is about 1:30 from Arlington, 1:30 from Philadelphia, and just 45 minutes from Baltimore. If you ACTUALLY see yourself attending a Smashfest or tourney held here, please post so I can get an idea of how many people I could realistically get at one event. The owner is flexible on times (going as late as 2:00 AM with a week's notice). Any questions or suggestions, feel free to mention it.

ADDRESS:
8 Newport Drive, Forest Hill, MD 21050

Here are some pictures of the place so you can get idea for how much room we have to work with (these are two parallel walls):

For more pictures or info, just go to the main website: Graphix Gaming

Bones0

Smash Legend
Short answer:
$4 an hour for Smashfests
$10 per player for Singles tournament
$20 per team for Doubles touranment ($10 per player)

Long answer:

Right now, there isn't a real set venue fee, and we are trying to negotiate that he lowers the price, but he's kind of suspicious that we won't be able to bring anyone in. For people just wanting to come in and play Halo, he is charging $4 an hour, and for the tournament it's just $10 per player for each gametype you sign up for (FFA, 2v2, 4v4). Using that, he'd probably keep it around the same for Smash. You could play for 5 hours for $20, but I'm guessing most people would consider that too high. Idk how people would feel about $10 entry fees for Singles and $20 per team for Doubles, but that's probably what it would be, at least for the first week. I would have to talk to him though; he might lower the price for Smash because it's all LAN, whereas people playing Halo are using his internet (he has T1).

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
Short answer:
$4 an hour for Smashfests
$10 per player for Singles tournament
$20 per team for Doubles touranment ($10 per player)

Long answer:

Right now, there isn't a real set venue fee, and we are trying to negotiate that he lowers the price, but he's kind of suspicious that we won't be able to bring anyone in. For people just wanting to come in and play Halo, he is charging $4 an hour, and for the tournament it's just $10 per player for each gametype you sign up for (FFA, 2v2, 4v4). Using that, he'd probably keep it around the same for Smash. You could play for 5 hours for $20, but I'm guessing most people would consider that too high. Idk how people would feel about $10 entry fees for Singles and $20 per team for Doubles, but that's probably what it would be, at least for the first week. I would have to talk to him though; he might lower the price for Smash because it's all LAN, whereas people playing Halo are using his internet (he has T1).
I don't think any smasher would pay 4 dollars an hour. 5-10 for the day, especially since all we do is rent space.

Bones0

Smash Legend
I wasn't expecting anyone to pay $4 an hour. Like I said, we're trying to convince him to lower his prices. What about $10 for tournaments?

theCook

Smash Cadet
Yeah, 4$ an hour would be steep, considering the length most tournaments run.

I assume it would probably be an all day event in a any case, so we're looking at 12 hours... which would be 48 bucks a head?

Gracious.

That and you have to assume he would make more money from the event than just letting people come in and use the center, which I highly doubt and he (the owner) probably knows.

Would we be renting the whole space, or just a section? Maybe trying to convince him to let us use only part of the space (Like one of those back rooms?) would help him lower his prices. Especially since we would need to supply all our own electronics (yes?)

2cents.

Bones0

Smash Legend
Okay, I think I typed it weird. Tournaments wouldn't have a venue fee. You would just pay $10 ($20 if you do Singles and Doubles) and then that's it for the whole day. You would only have to pay $4 an hour if it's not a tournament, but if I can confirm 20 or so people will come, I could probably convince him to lower it. So basically it isn't like most tournaments where you pay an entry fee and a venue fee. If there is a tournament, you only pay the entry fee. If everyone is just playing friendlies (what I meant by Smashfest), then it would be $4 an hour.

Would we be renting the whole space, or just a section? Maybe trying to convince him to let us use only part of the space (Like one of those back rooms?) would help him lower his prices. Especially since we would need to supply all our own electronics (yes?)

2cents.
That's a good point. I will talk to him about what the different prices would be depending on how much room we use, but that's why I made this thread, so I can figure out how much room we will need. I'm just thinking if we get 20 people there, at most we will need 10 TVs and that's less than half of the main room so I'm sure I can get the price lowered.

theCook

Smash Cadet
If you can provide a tournament venue with $0 fee, then I think you would see a LOT of people there.

A LOT.

But, I'm curious, why would the place let us use its resources for free?

EDIT: I would forget the idea of smashfests, especially if tourney venue is free. Smashfests are more like house parties imho- I think shelling out more than 5 bucks for the whole day would leave a bad taste in everyone's mouth.

Bones0

Smash Legend
If you can provide a tournament venue with $0 fee, then I think you would see a LOT of people there.

A LOT.

But, I'm curious, why would the place let us use its resources for free?
Well when you put it that way, I guess the venue fee is built into the entry fees. I have no idea what percentage of the entry fees he will want to keep, but it's all negotiable so whatever people feel is fair. If there's a simpler way to handle the economics, just post a suggestion and I can run it by him.

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
No one will pay 4 bucks an hour

Tell him 5 dollars for the day's event and we'll show up, and someone would have to run the event so we'd need to charge 2 for the to in addittion to that

Otherwise we probably won't show up as we have plenty opf other options

Bones0

Smash Legend
I'll run it for free, cause I'm cool like that (and do not enjoy the plentiful options of Smashing mentioned above lol) and I will see what I can do about $5 for an all-day Smashfest ALONG with a Singles and Doubles tournament (both with entry fees of $10 per person). If that sounds good enough to get at least 20 people going, I will talk to him about getting started either next weekend (Feb 26th) or the first week of March (Mar 5th).

Bones0

Smash Legend
Okay, March 13th should be fine. If you wouldn't mind Tant, could I PM you a schedule of what's going down when I figure everything out? I just need someone who's done this before to confirm my times are realistic with how long tournaments actually take. I just don't want to do something stupid like start it at 8:00 AM and not realize everyone would be late, or not schedule enough time to finish, etc. You won't have to run the tournament or anything.

Bones0

Smash Legend
For brawl or melee?
I can do both, but I was kind of thinking just Melee. At least for the first week I'm doing it. If I end up doing both, I probably won't do Doubles, just Singles.

do these TV's lag?
The ones he has are monitors, so I am pretty sure they would lag. I can bring 2 TVs myself, but yeah, quite a few people would have to bring TVs.

I will check back on the thread at 5:00 est.

Lionhart

Smash Rookie
I could do this, im decent at melee also, but brawl wouldnt be bad to include

~Pink Fresh~

Smash Master
Plz dont run brawl and melee at the same tourney :l

also, i'd be interested in coming to these, as would alot of others.

once you get the costs settled, we'll check for numbers on attendance.

theCook

Smash Cadet
I will see what I can do about $5 for an all-day Smashfest ALONG with a Singles and Doubles tournament (both with entry fees of $10 per person).
This wording is really bothering me, and I am not sure what exactly the plan is when you say "All-day Smashfest AND tourney".

If I were running the place, I would definitely NOT like the idea of letting a bunch of knucklehead smashers run my whole building all day for five bucks if they aren't all there to play in a tournament.

I would be sure to stress to the guy that it is a TOURNAMENT, and not just a get together. Again, why would he let us use the whole space for a fest at a fraction of the money he could get just letting halo players A and B pay hourly?

that just might be me, though.

SOVAman

Smash Hero
No one would pay $10 for a smashfest for one day they might pay $5 but $10 is crazy. So if you run a tourney for $10 venue fee you will still expect a lot of attendance, but for a smashfest keep it at $5. When most people go to someones house for free anyways.

Also Cook smashers wouldn't pay hourly like stupid halo players so that's why

Top Bottom