• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

POLL: Vote for your preferred Smash Bros DLC choices!

Who would you like to see as DLC for Super Smash Bros. for 3DS and Wii U?

• Ice Climbers

Votes: 362 37.6%
  • Lucas

Votes: 379 39.4%
  • Wolf

Votes: 475 49.3%
  • Snake

Votes: 327 34.0%
  • Roy

Votes: 208 21.6%
  • Squirtle

Votes: 168 17.4%
  • Ivysaur

• Pichu

Votes: 112 11.6%
  • King K.Rool (Donkey Kong)

Votes: 411 42.7%
  • Dixie Kong (Donkey Kong)

Votes: 293 30.4%
  • Isaac (Golden Sun)

Votes: 350 36.3%
  • Wonder Red (The Wonderful 101)

Votes: 184 19.1%
  • Inkling (Splatoon)

Votes: 240 24.9%
  • Impa (The Legend of Zelda)

Votes: 230 23.9%
  • Tetra (The Legend of Zelda)

Votes: 112 11.6%
  • Captain Toad (Super Mario Bros)

Votes: 182 18.9%
  • Paper Mario (Paper Mario/Super Mario Bros)

Votes: 165 17.1%
  • Krystal (Star Fox)

Votes: 208 21.6%
  • Black Shadow (F-Zero)

Votes: 117 12.1%
  • Medusa (Kid Icarus)

Votes: 104 10.8%
  • Hades (Kid Icarus)

Votes: 108 11.2%
  • Bandanna Dee (Kirby)

Votes: 246 25.5%
  • Chorus Men (Rhythm Heaven)

Votes: 179 18.6%
  • Ray Mk (Custom Robo)

Votes: 113 11.7%
  • Andy (Advance Wars)

Votes: 115 11.9%
  • Chibi Robo (Chibi Robo!)

Votes: 128 13.3%
  • Kamek (Yoshi)

Votes: 93 9.7%
  • Lip (Panel De Pon)

Votes: 118 12.3%
  • Mach Rider (Mach Rider)

Votes: 109 11.3%
  • Reyn (Xenoblade Chronicles)

Votes: 77 8.0%
  • Rayman (Rayman)

Votes: 200 20.8%
  • Bayonetta (Bayonetta)

• Professor Layton (Professor Layton)

Votes: 124 12.9%
  • Bomberman (Bomberman)

Votes: 153 15.9%
  • 4th Mii Fighter Archetype

Votes: 154 16.0%
  • Other...(character not on this list)

Votes: 331 34.4%

• Total voters

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
At what point will it be considered scraping the bottom of the barrel for characters?

I don't think we're there just yet.

Frankly with a company like Nintendo who's known for having so many interesting and unique characters, I figure even the bottom of the barrel will still be pretty sweet. I mean heck for some the "bottom of the barrel" might be more exciting than the rest of the barrel.

Of course it depends on your definition of "bottom of the barrel". If it's just a character/gameplay thing then I don't think people who appreciate unique movesets have much to worry about for quite a while. If you're looking for triple A blockbuster characters then there's a problem.

Last edited:

Staarih

Smash Master
I'm impressed at Wolf dominating this poll. I never realized how popular he was, so it's interesting. That said, I have a really good feeling of Wolf returning, and Lucas too actually. Sakurai and company might have not initially planned them in the game, but seeing as Lucina, Dark Pit and Dr. Mario, all of whom I assume were costumes at the beginning, were made into their own characters later in development, it seems sort of silly that Wolf and Lucas, more unique characters, wouldn't return at this point. Them not making it in the first place is understandable if they weren't planned at all, unlike the costumes which were already in the game. But bringing them back later via DLC sounds like a very viable option to me and I'm totally expecting it. I don't have as much faith in Ice Climbers, my most wanted veteran, than I do with Wolf and Lucas, funnily haha! And I'm totally picturing a tie-in with a Mother 3 VC and Star Fox U reveal/release (as if). We'll see!

StarshipGroove

Smash Journeyman
Snake and Rayman not in top five is a travesty.
Both are icons of gaming, but since Ubi and Konami are not BFF with Nintendo it doesn't count, rite?

edit: at least Snake is top 6, better than nothing...

Last edited:

DoodleDuck97

Smash Hero
Living in a peacefull place on nowhere islands.
I'm impressed at Wolf dominating this poll. I never realized how popular he was, so it's interesting. That said, I have a really good feeling of Wolf returning, and Lucas too actually. Sakurai and company might have not initially planned them in the game, but seeing as Lucina, Dark Pit and Dr. Mario, all of whom I assume were costumes at the beginning, were made into their own characters later in development, it seems sort of silly that Wolf and Lucas, more unique characters, wouldn't return at this point. Them not making it in the first place is understandable if they weren't planned at all, unlike the costumes which were already in the game. But bringing them back later via DLC sounds like a very viable option to me and I'm totally expecting it. I don't have as much faith in Ice Climbers, my most wanted veteran, than I do with Wolf and Lucas, funnily haha! And I'm totally picturing a tie-in with a Mother 3 VC and Star Fox U reveal/release (as if). We'll see!
You would be surprised how many fans
Lucas and Wolf:wolf: have They are fan-favourites :) I myself am in the Majority.

Last edited:

FangedSniper

Smash Apprentice
The fact that Bandanna Derp has more votes than Snake makes me wonder if half the people who voted even play Smash games.

Snake was easily the best designed character in Brawl. IN BRAWL! That game was the most flawed Smash game ever, and his design and execution was still fantastic. That's something even the most ardent Brawl haters will and do admit: Snake was awesome in Brawl, and is awesome for Smash (especially if you want something other than no name middle weights from Kid Mediocreness who bore and camp you to death).

The crazy thing is Snake hasn't come close to his full potential either.

And you want a Waddle Dee with a Spear more than the best newcomer since Fox (since Falco was basically 64 Fox) and Marth in Melee=???

A character who was designed better than any of the other Brawl newcomers or the Smash 4 newcomers, and is more unique than any of them=???

:facepalm:
So you're getting mad at us for having an opinion, yet saying Snake was the best newcomer ever?

FYI I voted for both. Snake deserves to be in, but more people here would rather Bandana Dee. Deeal with it.

DoodleDuck97

Smash Hero
Living in a peacefull place on nowhere islands.
So you're getting mad at us for having an opinion, yet saying Snake was the best newcomer ever?

FYI I voted for both. Snake deserves to be in, but more people here would rather Bandana Dee. Deeal with it.
I don't think it's the fact that you want Waddle Dee I think it's more the point Kirby and Kid Icarus have a reasonable amount of reps :
:4kirby::4metaknight::4dedede:
:4pit::4palutena::4darkpit:
while bigger series that have also been around since the start (unlike Kid Icarus) have either lost or not gotten any new reps.
:4ness:

:4fox::4falco::wolf:
:4dk::4diddy:Dixie/K rool
:4samus:/:4zss: I don't know anyone other than Ridley.
And need I even mention the lone-wolf:4falcon: who should have had Black Shadow
I don't think anyone would mind/care if bandana Dee made it in as long as the other series got reps first tis all :)

MandoBardanJusik

Smash Ace
I just realized an Other I forgot, that keeps getting overlooked... but I'm not quite big enough of a fan to do enough to properly do a support thread
That is someone from the F-zero series that is just as deserving as Black Shadow, if not more so, has been in all but one game, and was the first true villain in the series, and that is
Pico!

He's a non-human and could have both martial arts and laser gun moveset...

For some reason he keeps getting overlooked, but a guy can hope

Cpt.

Smash Lord
Mostly I would like to see a return of Wolf and Snake, but I voted for Paper Mario, Krystal, Iceys, K. Rool, Dixie, Isaac, Impa and of course Other (King Boo!) too.

I feel that a lot of cut characters really shouldn't have been cut so it would be very nice to get a veteran DLC pack (kinda counting Isaac as a vet).

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
The characters I voted for was because I liked them. I view DLC as extra content. I personally don't think moveset potential has to be a factor here.

Besides, we already have quite a bunch of unique characters, it not's like we need more uniqueness. True, it wouldn't hurt though, and I would like to see what they could do with my favorite characters.

Ivysaur: I like the bulbasaur line. Like how he played in brawl.
Inkling: Splatoon looks like a fantastic game, and Inkling looks like she would have quite the awesome moveset. She is just so cute as well. <3

Lip: Her game was fun, she is adorable.

And of course my most wanted:
Bandana Dee: Personal reasons. For one, nostalgia. I was young when I played Ultra. Another thing is, I wouldn't have met a close friend of mine without him. I also love the spear copy ability.

Could he end up as a copy paste of his Return to dreamland moveset? Probably. No complaints here though.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
What's that? Wonder Red had 101 votes???

Quite impressive to me that the Inklings are doing so well, in addition to Snake holding his own, beating Dixie Kong into the Top 6. Very interesting stats indeed.

It will be interesting to see if Wonder Red can get more votes and break into the Top 10. He would need quite a few votes, and still has to get past Chorus Men, Impa and Inklings.

On the topic of Inklings, now that I think about it, it's interesting to consider that Inklings are so new, yet have a pretty good amount of votes in this poll. This poll isn't short on popular requests and they have maintained their spot in the Top 10.

D

Deleted member

For the Inklings, I think it has to do with two things; the fact that it's new and that Splatoon is a game that emphasize on multi-player. If the Inklings can obtain such an impressive fan base now, imagine what legs it may achieve once its game comes out. This is one fan base that is definitely worth watching.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I don't think it's the fact that you want Waddle Dee I think it's more the point Kirby and Kid Icarus have a reasonable amount of reps :
:4kirby::4metaknight::4dedede:
:4pit::4palutena::4darkpit:
while bigger series that have also been around since the start (unlike Kid Icarus) have either lost or not gotten any new reps.
:4ness:

:4fox::4falco::wolf:
:4dk::4diddy:Dixie/K rool
:4samus:/:4zss: I don't know anyone other than Ridley.
And need I even mention the lone-wolf:4falcon: who should have had Black Shadow
I don't think anyone would mind/care if bandana Dee made it in as long as the other series got reps first tis all :)
Only one of those series could be feasible considered bigger than Kirby in all fairness; Donkey Kong, and pretty much everyone agrees either Dixie or K. Rool should of been included by this point.

Not that it matters anyway; series reps numbers are clearly a redundant fan term at this point.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I love the idea of Inklings in Smash, but I don't know, I think they should be held back on until Smash 5, where (hopefully) by that point, Splatoon would be well out for quite awhile. That makes more sense to me, because adding them right now feels more like promotion if anything else.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
I love the idea of Inklings in Smash, but I don't know, I think they should be held back on until Smash 5, where (hopefully) by that point, Splatoon would be well out for quite awhile. That makes more sense to me, because adding them right now feels more like promotion if anything else.
Which might not be such a bad idea. Sometimes Smash Bros and promotions for future games can work. If my Boy Roy can do it for his game, and the little teases of Animal Crossing characters like Tom Nook and Mr. Resetti in Melee when the West knew very little of Animal Crossing, I see no problem with Inklings being promotional DLC for Nintendo's newest IP.

D

Deleted member

Voted for Wolf, Lucas and ICs for likely returning veterans.

Dixie and K. Rool as wanted newcomers from the list above.

And as I also chose Other, I would love to see a second playable Xenoblade character (Seven by preference) and Shantae as new third-party character.
And why not a prior version of Other M/Pyrosphere's Ridley.

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
What I'm basicly gathering from this poll is "noone likes cuts". Also that people love K. Rool a lot (DK is a series I've never gotten into, so I know nothing about him, but I'll take your word for it).

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
This is what I voted for:
-----------------------------------------------
1. Ghirahim
2. Midna
3. Excitebiker
4. Solid Snake
5. Inkling
6. Lucas / Wolf
-----------------------------------------------

Anyone else doesn't matter to me.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
What about Wonder Red? Or is he first party now? Genuine question, I was always confused on The Wonderful 101's party status.
I think Platinum Games (Wonderful 101 and Bayonetta's developer) is second party. They had Sega publish Bayonetta and Nintendo published its sequel (as well as Wonderful 101). However, Platinum was the developer.

At least, I'm sure that is the case.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
What about Wonder Red? Or is he first party now? Genuine question, I was always confused on The Wonderful 101's party status.
The Wonderful 101 IP is owned by Nintendo. He's a first party character. If you look at the bottom of the site for The Wonderful 101, it even says that the game and Wii U trademarks are owned by Nintendo.

So yes, Wonder Red is a 1st party (or 2nd party maybe?), not 3rd party character.

EDIT: Okay. Nintendo owns the IP for Wonderful 101, but the game itself was developed by Platinum. Platinum does not own the game, but they developed it, making it 2nd Party Developed. So all we really need to know, is that Wonder Red is owned by Nintendo.

Last edited:

ShrekItRalph

Smash Ace
The smasher comes from the bottom of the arena
Honestly Splatoon promotion is one of the main reasons I want the Inklings in. Splatoon is a really fresh game from Nintendo and I really want the game to do well.

theenlightenedone

Smash Apprentice
Others that should be on the list are Sukapon, DeMille, Mike Jones, Sceptile, Rhythm Heaven Rep (instead of specifying the Chorus Men because there are a lot of characters from that franchise and it just needs to be represented), Geno, Bubbles, Jill (Drill Dozer), Pulseman, and Meowth.

theenlightenedone

Smash Apprentice
Now lets be honest here Bandanna Waddle Dee would be a waste of a spot and also Kirby is represented enough in this game.

theenlightenedone

Smash Apprentice
The Ice Climbers should be number 1 because they are the only unique fighters to be cut and not return yet. Also ray should have just as many votes as Isaac.

theenlightenedone

Smash Apprentice
How is Pichu getting so many vote is it because he is the joke character. How did his nickname become Emo?

Top Bottom