• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Poll of the Week #6 - What New Aspect Of SSBR Is Most Important To You?

What New Aspect Of SSBR Is Most Important To You?

• Extensive single-player mode - a full length game in its own!

Votes: 19 4.6%
  • A ton more extras (i.e. Break the Targets / Homerun Contest / Coin Mode)

Votes: 9 2.2%
  • Stick with the basics; more stages and more characters, kudasai!

Votes: 141 34.4%
  • It's all about the online play, baby!

Votes: 203 49.5%
  • I'm the black sheep in the group - give me 3x as many items!

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • I'm good w/ whateva

Votes: 37 9.0%

• Total voters

GabbyJay

Smash Rookie
Gate Everest said:
That being said, if this is just SSBM with online (especially considering I don't think the online'll be too great) tacked on, I'd seriously reconsider my loyalty to the series.
While I don't think I'd go so far as to question my loyalty to the series, I agree that SSBM with online would just be a letdown. Even if they added one or two more characters it'd be a letdown. I'm not a huge proprietor of online play because, quite frankly, I'm not good enough to compete with individuals outside my own little circle of people (and even then I'm on the end of some rather embarrasing beatdowns, but I digress.) Therefore I want something with more characters, more stages, because it will increase the already great replay value of the game.

CuckooOfTime

Smash Journeyman
Online play, what the hell else?!

I'm always at a loss for human play...practice mode sucks! None of my casual player friends want to play me because I ruin them and all of my good smasher friends are always busy...usually with something they call, "school." I dunno what's up with that, but this way, I can always have someone to play :laugh:

Aiser

Smash Lord
I have faith that Nintendo wont let us down for online play, though I am curious how they're gonna do it. my biggest concern is 1 player mode, 1 player mode has always given me the most fun out of the ssb games mainly for its simplicty and who doesn't like beating the crap out of a giant hand. >.>

personally I want them to keep adventure mode, as well as expand on it a bit maybe the final boss in adventure mode is dependant on who you beat it as EX: beating it with mario grants you fight with Bowser or something. or beating it with Samus fight Ridly.

Zem

Smash Rookie
Even if online play is slightly laggy (which it will inevitably be), being able to play actual people with five frames of lag is better than playing computers. People who hardly get to play anyone else will be able to boost their game significantly, even if it's not to perfection. And people who have lots of other people to play with already don't suddenly "get" five frames of lag, since they can keep playing people in real life.

Online play may not work for tournaments, but it will be infinitely better than rolling solo.

Zenith

Smash Ace
I voted good w/ anything, but if I had to be more specific it would be online play.
It's good for ownage from the comfort of your house (or your Mom's).

Dapenda

Smash Champion
As long as the nunchaku motions are well-implemented into the game, it's all that matters. I'll have more fun playing on site with my friends anyways, if the core gameplay is fun enough to keep us playing.

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
It's most important that is highly competitive and balanced, like SSBM. Itll be nice if they can make it a little more balanced, and make it a little more competitive and it will be totally awesome. I just hope they don't dumb the game down.

I dont have high hopes for online play. In mario kart DS you can't even choose how many players you want. Imagine if you could only play free for alls online, becuase that's how mario kart ds is. Can't even change any rules. The best stages are reserved for offline play as well. No communication with players. You can't add people you randomly meet to your friends list, so playing online doesn't help you find new people to play unless you know what message board they post at or something. I don't trust Nintendo with online stuff after they trashed the potential MKDS had for online play.

Falcomaster16

Smash Journeyman
I think online play would be the bedt thing because you will have the ability to play against human opponents more often. Ther's not many people in Hillsboro who play melee so online play would be great.

Pjv

Smash Apprentice
Online play all the way. I live in Portugal so I don't have any friends to play with. This will lead to much more competition, especially outside USA, UK and few other countries. I think that it won't have much lag, because that would ruin the whole purpose of online play.

xianfeng

Smash Hero
Online play is going to be awsome I'm the only one in my village (I don't live in Canberra just outside it) who plays melee so i have to play with my sister, against a computer or 1 player mode. So online will be perfect for people in my situation

Digamma

Smash Journeyman
xianfeng said:
Online play is going to be awsome I'm the only one in my village (I don't live in Canberra just outside it) who plays melee so i have to play with my sister, against a computer or 1 player mode. So online will be perfect for people in my situation
And from what I gather from people on SWF those people make up alot of the smashers if not the majority.

maelstrom218

Smash Lord
My primary concern is that the gameplay for Smash retains its simplistic yet quasi-technical nature. Smash, at least in its Gamecube iteration, is probably one of the deepest fighters out there b/c it combines standard technical practice (i.e. L-cancelling, teching, DI) w/an incredibly advanced physics and damage system. What results is something that appears to be simplistic in nature, but is actually complex.

Smash Revolution needs to keep this balance of simplicity/complexity. My deepest nightmares involve HAL--or whoever is making Smash--somehow dumbing down Smash for the gaming public. Specifically, I'm terrified that they'll somehow remove wavedashing/L-cancelling and reduce the number of neutral stages for more craziness w/random items and the like. If anything, HAL should follow Sammy's lead w/GGXX and try to incorporate glitches/techniques into their future iterations--as Sammy did w/option selecting in GGXX.

Speaking of GGXX, it'd be great if Smash Revolution had more technical stuff to learn, like different lag-cancelling techniques and mid-air dashing. Catering the game towards a hardcore fighting crowd probably won't happen for all of eternity, but I'd love to have more advanced techniques in there.

I'm worried about online play too, mostly b/c from the looks of things, Nintendo has no idea how to incorporate online properly. Ideally, Nintendo should make an online system for Smash similar to DOA3 (or is it 4. . .?) where you can watch players' matches in a sort of virtual "waiting room" and chat freely w/other players to organize future matches. No more garbage w/friend codes and the inability to communicate w/the people you're playing against. But then again, since Nintendo has never really viewed Smash as a competitive fighter, I'll doubt that they'll make the online system similar to DOA3 in the first place.

So yeah. . .more advanced techniques, keep the balance between simplicity and complexity, and make the online system good. That's all I ask.

That, and give Mario a proper KO move.

Lemming 1545

Smash Journeyman
I want to see the elimination of Clone characters. What I mean by that is not that I want, for example, Ganondorf, taken out of the game, but that I want him to be given a unique moveset. Another thing is that if we still have both Link and Young Link, let's give YL his slingshot instead of the bow, which he can't actually use in OoT.

xianfeng

Smash Hero
he can use a bow in MM though (MM wasn't as good as OoT though)

Hal isn't making SSBR Smashlabs is.

As for the removal of clones I don't think so I liked clone vs. clone to see which can utilise the moves better.

Gregory2590

Smash Journeyman
NNID
phireblast
Digamma said:
Online play, definately. Just the ability to play against other players all the time is great. Although I really hope they set it up like DS WiFi with different skill level rooms and such.
Nah.People could learn much faster if they play people better and good as you.But then again,they may do that.

Digamma

Smash Journeyman
Fair enough but I don't want to log on to SSBR online and join a match where I'm playing people who have no idea what SHFFLing is.

Lemming 1545

Smash Journeyman
xianfeng said:
he can use a bow in MM though (MM wasn't as good as OoT though)
Ah. Didn't know that - I never finished MM.

I still think it'd be nice to unique-ify the clones. The way it stands, it's not like having 26 characters so much as it's like having 20 characters, six of which can tweak their stats.

dante2006

Smash Rookie
I want an actual storyline and an updated 1-player. In fact, what I would REALLY like is for 1P to be something like Sonic Battle where you can customize how your character looks, and learn new moves by beating opponents.

Mubariz

Smash Apprentice
One thing I'd really love to see is all the characters having their own unique artstyle from their respective games. I don't mean I want Ness to be a bunch of pixels, but it would be awesome to see him look more like he did in Earthbound, you know what I'm saying? Character entrances would be nice to see back again.

that 1 guy

Smash Ace
I really like the game the way it is. Online play should be cool, but it better be lag free. That is what scares me most, plus it will probably hurt the amount of tournies.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I'm going with extras. Not that I don't want online play, but having multiple fun things to do(much like Missions in some games) gives me a lot of fun, and plus, lots of different ways to unlock characters.

Keep in mind while we lost Board The Platforms, we gained the Homerun Contest(which, as interesting as it is, it just doesn't compare), plus we got a new "Race to the Finish" stage...that isn't boring at all! Okay, so the original version was pretty good too.

I wouldn't mind more missions(true missions, whether it'd be fighting, or actual puzzles) to keep it interesting and new. Other than that, an actual easy way to fight Giga Bowser 1 on 1 without him weakened like in Event 51. They did well with the Hand Bros., of course...

Okurama

Smash Journeyman
Tijuana, CA (yeah, i know i change my location, AG
online, the best part of the revolution (in my opinion) is the online play where your suppose to not go to your friends house and play like crazy (but in other way this will make tourneys more simpler since you don't hve to travel so far abd take your GC or your TV, althoght wheres the money went you win.............)

FastFox

Faster than most vehicles
BRoomer
I'm not too keen on the online play, mostly because from my experiences, it is unpredictable when it comes to lag and disconnection. I'd rather stick with the basics, and besides, what's better than meeting new smashers?

zarbityugi

Smash Cadet
Definitely online play. Few of my friends have gamecubes, or even want to think about looking at a gamecube, so a lot of my experience is against computers. Plus, it'll be nice to see how I would stack up in a tournament. Put my money where my mouth is sorta thing.

xianfeng

Smash Hero
Okurama said:
online, the best part of the revolution (in my opinion) is the online play where your suppose to not go to your friends house and play like crazy (but in other way this will make tourneys more simpler since you don't hve to travel so far abd take your GC or your TV, althoght wheres the money went you win.............)
The best feature of the revolution is the Retro games but Online is also a good feature and it will be intresting to see how smash uses the online feature.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
More characters.

I don't really care much about items or stages, and I don't (as of now) have Nintendo Wi-Fi, so I don't much care about online play. All I care about are having lots of characters.

fox masta

Smash Cadet
ONLINE PLAY! I want to be able to say "hey, i can own someone anytime i want instead of waiting for a tournament that comes around once a month".

But i would also like more character and stages. Preferrably stages that are far like final destination.

Digamma

Smash Journeyman
fox masta said:
But i would also like more character and stages. Preferrably stages that are far like final destination.
More like FD? Lol what are your options? Flat, flat or flatter. If you change it at all, it becomes not FD because all FD is a simple one platform. I suppose you could change the width of the platform and or width of the roof/basement/sides but nothing drastic.

rezz

Smash Journeyman
online play is going to rock, i just hope thears no bugs in it or someboddy hacks it and puts a vires in the wi-fi.

xianfeng

Smash Hero
rezz said:
online play is going to rock, i just hope thears no bugs in it or someboddy hacks it and puts a vires in the wi-fi.
That's always a risk because there are a lot of computer geeks out there but hopefully Nintendo will be able to stop them before they do anything too bad or anything at all.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
wow... no one likes items...
OH WELL!!!!!!!!!!
ONLINE ALL THE WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ya.

lChaosl

Smash Cadet
I would want online play to see how I stack up against pros because I am one of the best in my area, but have never been to an out of town tournament.

masterpianist

Smash Cadet
annoying1359 said:
wow... no one likes items...
OH WELL!!!!!!!!!!
ONLINE ALL THE WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ya.
i have no problem with items...in fact, i whish that the smash community and all the smash "pros" would come to realize that items in ssb, ssbm, and ssb-Rev seperates the game from all the other action and fighters. If you have time, drop me a line in the Melee Discussion forums: It's called "Items Anyone?" Here is a link:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=65866
:)

masterpianist

Smash Cadet
lChaosl said:
I would want online play to see how I stack up against pros because I am one of the best in my area, but have never been to an out of town tournament.
Same here. My friend, Sheik-A-Fyed, just recently played against the Numbe one smash player in Georgia and almost won. He and I go back and forth beating each other so I know im in there somewhere. :)

Top Bottom