• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Poll Of The Week #3 - Should Sonic Be In The Next Smash?

Should Sonic Be In The Next Smash?

• Yes, most definitely!

Votes: 315 43.2%
  • No, absolutely not!

Votes: 223 30.5%
  • I don't really care

Votes: 192 26.3%

• Total voters

SonicZeroX

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4425-1491-5645
Don't really care. I wouldn't mind him being n but of course that would be really messed cause he isn't even Nintendo.
If people like Sonic enough though, tell Sega to make a Smash like game with all of their chars or sumthing.

gheyed

Smash Rookie
Sonic would be so pimp~! I think it would be pretty cool if he was in. I always liked sonic ever since i was younger. I hope he's in the next one.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Sonic should be in SSB3. You know why?

...No, just be quiet and listen.

...No, I don't care if it's "Nintendo All-Stars" waa waa waah.

Cry me a river. Sonic should be in SSB3 because IT WOULD BE FUN.

I've seen the "*cry* But... *sniff* Smash Brothers is about Nintendo All-Stars! *sniffle*"

WHO CARES.

It would be fun.

There should be no other determining factor, from our side of the game. The developers have to worry about costs, collaboration with another company, etc. All we have to worry about is HAVING FUN.

Having Sonic in Smash would be FUN.

End of story.

Good night.

Gate Everest

Banned via Administration
I say no.

Personally it's because I'm not so sure it -would- be fun. I already worry it's gonna be too different of a game with the Revolution controller, then we let Sonic in... Sonic just doesn't fit. There's other people I would prefer in that would be more 'fun' and not mess up the game atmosphere like Sonic would for me.

That and letting Sonic in is like opening Pandora's Box. I'd hate having to dread what lame characters they might add in from other companies/franchises (Master Chief x_x... impossible, but the thought makes me feel sick a little)... if they exhaust Nintendo's supply though, then I'd start looking into other companies.

And if he ends up in, I'd probably warm up to it. But for now, it's a definite no.

Oh yeah. And I don't think anyone is being sloppy and crying over "it's about nintendo all-stars!". Nintendo all-stars is a big part of the game. Taking that out is, like, taking the Force out of Star Wars, or the racing out of F-Zero. It'd become a very different game, and a lot of people would rather it just be done in another franchise, because that's where it seems to belong.

SonicZeroX

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4425-1491-5645
I guess it would be more fun to have Sonic in smash.
I mean it can't make it any less fun unless your some kind of Anti-Sonic Fanboy. :p
The more the better. (And the more depth. yay)

DooDahDizzle

Kokichi said:
Really? It seems pretty even, so I'd say it's turning out to be a good question. If it was bias one way or the other, completely, then there would have been no point. But it's interesting to see everyone's take on it, and to see if more people would want him in or not. In fact, I think it's it an awesome question, and I'm proud of myself for thinking about it.

So there.

:p
im not gonna say anything to that response cuz u might cry again.

if nintendo puts sonic in smash it would defeat the purpose of smash all together....plus he wont be in it n e ways

Uncle Meat

Smash Champion
The purpose of smash is to have fun, *******. Go back to being perma-banned.

We know he won't be in, that's not the point.

OH NO! IT'LL CHANGE THE ENTIRE STYLE OF THE GAME IF IT'S NOT NINTENDO ALL-STARS! WAH! WAH! WAH!

How? So what if he's not Nintendo? It doesn't change jack. I wouldn't care if they had just made up Starfox and stuck him in, or if he was from another company. Who the hell would and why?

Duke

it's just duke. nothing to get worried about.
this converstation makes me giggle

<3 lets all be friends; besides I bet we can find a bed big enough for all of the Nintendo stars and sonic too<3

Kokichi

Skia Oura
BRoomer
Oh, and here's a big FYI to everyone: I'd like to see clean, educated discussion on this subject. If it diminishes into "no u guyz r stupidz sonic of cuorse he wont be in" then I'll close it and there won't be a poll of the week this week. That goes for all PotWs. Just have an educated, non-spam, non-flame discussion, and everything will be fine.

That's everyone's final warning.

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
i wouldnt like it if they were in the game. yes i am a purist. in fact all the purists i know all love nintendo a lot. all the non purists i know dont love nintendo as much as the rest of us.

Smasher 007

Smash Rookie
Ummm... Hey?

Well it's telling me I need to put a hello, so I guess I am. What's up people? I just have to say one thing, wavedashing is harder than I thought it would be....

Woah. Way sorry. I didn't think it would actually put this in the thread I was looking at now. Bad mistake. Ignore this post.

thekyelur

Smash Apprentice
If sega characters entered why not have better ones like animes or something or Masterchief from HAlo2

AkaGoodguy

Smash Journeyman
I have herd that there will indeed be THIRD PARTY CHARS in smash 3. and a char list over 64 chars... they got many chars comming our way, y not sonic and maybe even knuckles

JFox

Smash Hero
thekyelur said:
If sega characters entered why not have better ones like animes or something or Masterchief from HAlo2
Nintendo will/could not put something that represents their competition.

Duke

it's just duke. nothing to get worried about.
I can't believe that the poll is even this close...I expected a sweep for no sonic because I thought that most of the people on smashboards are educated but I haven't really seen a smash veteran posting in the poll of the weeks so meh i'm a goat.

evilstrawberry99

Smash Cadet
A Sonic and Tails IC clone would be cool but probably wouldnt happen. Unless Nintendo bought Sega like right now Sonic probably wont be in it.

xianfeng

Smash Hero
he won't be in it garunteed because only nintendo characters in it. It would ruin the game it would take away it's charm and it's appeal. Sonic would be a terrible character and anyone that says he would be good in it can't be that true a smash brothers fan because if you want sonic in it that is like saying you want Crash bandicoot, pacman, rayman, earthworm jim and other stupid third party characters. So no matter what people want he still aint gonna be in smash brothers ever unless nintendo buys out sega completely then there is a slim chance he will be in it until the HELL NO, NO SONIC EVER!

You want him in a Smash Brothers esque game play that home made version of smash how they call it smash I don't know it is an insult to the series. But this is just what I think, sorry if I have offended you in my post it's just on this topic (which I have discussed several times on other forums) gets me worked up. :)

~Xian

Kokichi

Skia Oura
BRoomer
Xian, I'm going to have to disagree with you that wanting Sonic in SSBM is akin to wanting Crash, Pacman, Rayman, Earthworm Jim, or others. There's a clear difference between including Sonic in SSBM and including Crash in SSBM. Sonic could actually fit. He's been in fighting games before, there's been talk of him being in SSBM / Mario Kart before, and many people feel that the Sonic and Mario mascots are the "true blue" mascots of videogames, so to speak. They're the rivals back from the Genesis and SNES era that most of us grew up with, and a game staring the two would be great (it'd also finally lay rest to all those Sonic & Mario flash battles on Newgrounds ^_<).

Putting a character like Earthworm Jim in doesn't make much sense because there's been no talk about it before and the relationship between EJ and Nintendo mascots is different than the one between Sonic and Nintendo mascots. Sonic is clearly the Nintendo mascot of Sega, and thus, due to their history and appeal, they have a similar status and relationship that cannot be denied.

Aiser

Smash Lord
I chose I don't care but why shouldn't sonic be in? he's had just about as much games on cube as Marth and Roy have had on nintendo as a hole.

metalic_panda

Smash Rookie
I think characters from other games should be added, but there should be more Nintendo characters then any other group of characters.

Spaz_

Smash Rookie
I don't really care, but it'd be fine only for sonic, i don't want a ****load of sega characters. I'd really love to see every major company come together to make an ultra all encompassing mascot game, for example, sonic, mario, master chief, banjo & Kazooie, etc. yep, wouldn't that be cool? They could add characters from all sorts of games, bhut i know my dream probably won't be realised.

ky

Smash Ace
it would be cool to have him in the next game but what would he have for moves and then they'd have to add more sega characters in to the game, wouldn't they?

OuiCaVa11

Smash Cadet
No sonic, he's stupid, plus he's sega. I think the best possible character that they could add that everyone would want to play would be lanky kong. He can do a handstand when he needs to and strech his arms out just for you. yeah lanky would be the ****

Legendaryhero

Smash Journeyman
i think sonic would make a cool new character... but he would definatly take away from the all nintendo feel of it next thing u know they will be chucking in streetfighter guys and then final fantasy characters who knows... i can't decide he could have some really cool moves though!

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Since it's obvious that the people voting against Sonic didn't read my post, here it is again.

McFox9 said:
Sonic should be in SSB3. You know why?

...No, just be quiet and listen.

...No, I don't care if it's "Nintendo All-Stars" waa waa waah.

Cry me a river. Sonic should be in SSB3 because IT WOULD BE FUN.

I've seen the "*cry* But... *sniff* Smash Brothers is about Nintendo All-Stars! *sniffle*"

WHO CARES.

It would be fun.

There should be no other determining factor, from our side of the game. The developers have to worry about costs, collaboration with another company, etc. All we have to worry about is HAVING FUN.

Having Sonic in Smash would be FUN.

End of story.

Good night.
commonyoshi said:
i wouldnt like it if they were in the game. yes i am a purist. in fact all the purists i know all love nintendo a lot. all the non purists i know dont love nintendo as much as the rest of us.
Trading "purity" for "fun" doesn't seem very fun from where I'm sitting. But maybe that's because I don't love Nintendo as much as you do. I only own every Nintendo system ever made except the NES and Virtuaboy. My two favorite video games of all time are Nintendo game (Zelda: OOT, and Mario RPG: LotSS). And oh yeah, I went to the store an hour and a half early the day the Gamecube came out just so I could get one.

But then again, I also like to have fun, regardless of "purity," so I guess I don't love Nintendo as much as you do.

thekyelur said:
Because, like Kokichi said, having Sonic the Hedgehog in the game is not the same thing as "adding Sega characters." We're not talking about adding a bunch of non-Nintendo characters. The question is if Sonic the Hedgehog should be in the game. He, along with Mario, are the greatest video game stars of all time. Don't tell me Master Chief comes anywhere close. Ask any old person or girl on the street today, they won't now who Master Chief is, but they will recognize the names Sonic and Mario. They are the most recognizable video game characters ever created, and the idea of having them in a game together (a fighting game, no less) would be incredibly fun.

But then, there I go again, talking about fun. I should be worried about whether or not Sonic was made by Shigeru Miyamoto.

AkaGoodguy said:
I have herd that there will indeed be THIRD PARTY CHARS in smash 3. and a char list over 64 chars... they got many chars comming our way, y not sonic and maybe even knuckles
Whoever you heard that from was lying to you.

the_world's_greatest said:
it would be cool to have him in the next game but what would he have for moves and then they'd have to add more sega characters in to the game, wouldn't they?
No, not necessarily. They can only add one character, and it would still be fun. As for moves, there's dozens of different movesets Sonic could have.

OuiCaVa11 said:
No sonic, he's stupid, plus he's sega.
Yeah, because everything Nintendo has ever done is better than anything Sega has ever done.

Oh wait, no it's not.

xianfeng

Smash Hero
Kokichi said:
Xian, I'm going to have to disagree with you that wanting Sonic in SSBM is akin to wanting Crash, Pacman, Rayman, Earthworm Jim, or others. There's a clear difference between including Sonic in SSBM and including Crash in SSBM. Sonic could actually fit. He's been in fighting games before, there's been talk of him being in SSBM / Mario Kart before, and many people feel that the Sonic and Mario mascots are the "true blue" mascots of videogames, so to speak. They're the rivals back from the Genesis and SNES era that most of us grew up with, and a game staring the two would be great (it'd also finally lay rest to all those Sonic & Mario flash battles on Newgrounds ^_<).

Putting a character like Earthworm Jim in doesn't make much sense because there's been no talk about it before and the relationship between EJ and Nintendo mascots is different than the one between Sonic and Nintendo mascots. Sonic is clearly the Nintendo mascot of Sega, and thus, due to their history and appeal, they have a similar status and relationship that cannot be denied.
If sega hadn't put sonic games on PC and I think the other consoles (I dunno I only own a GC from this gen) then I would welcome him into smash and I agree that the two together would make billions and what not but Still sonic is like the non-sexual town bicycle eveyone has had him if he just appeared on Nintendo consoles then yes he should and would be in it but no he can't whilst he is on other systems

skyfox

Smash Cadet
i could care less if sonic was on the next melee,sega is now a 3rd party,so,i wouldn't matter

Kokichi

Skia Oura
BRoomer
So then, does everyone here who aruges that Sonic shouldn't be in Melee because it ruins the purity of the SSB series and that it's stupid also agree that putting Link into Soul Calibur II was a bad idea because it ruins the purity of the series? That many more people did NOT buy SCII because Link was in it, and since Link isn't kosher in the SCII world, he shouldn't exist? Or do you think Link in the GCN version had something to do with it selling a VAST amount more than the two other versions? Perhaps because putting Link in it was seemingly cool? Or, dare I say it, FUN?

DooDahDizzle

Kokichi said:
To sell more copies, mainly. Who wouldn't want the first videogame that stars Mario and Sonic together? If he's in, he definitely won't be a hidden character; he'll be on the box art, and it'll be advertised a lot.
thats the stupidest thing ever written.sonic games havent sold jack crap since the genisis.if sonic was in it i wouldnt be surprised if smash didnt sell period.i have nothing against sonic just its not right fer him to be in smash.

oh and if sonic is in it kokichi then crash has a chance too.yes sonic and mario were the two mainstreams back in the early 90s but mid 90s it was crash and mario.and now sonic is on all systems.it would be so ******** if he was in smash.that would give nintendo the right to put characters like tak or even TY the tasmanian tiger......sonic is a no no people,we have to think about the long run here and dont use the word gay negatively cuz it might offend some insecure moderators..........

and link being in SCII was an exception to the rule.namco made the game for all 3 systems and each system got a character exclusive.so there.

DooDahDizzle

no now that i think about it,it probably would sell.....but like everything sonic touches...it would suck....im not sweatin it though,cuz i know he wont be in it....no characters other than nintendo characters will be in it...and i find that very offense mr ninja

DooDahDizzle

.....thank u.....no BS about "its to have fun" cuz thats only one of the 2 reasons smash was invented

Smasher 007

Smash Rookie
If you ask me, Sonic shouldn't be in it. It is a Mario All Stars game basically. It needs only Nintendo characters, and believe me, they have a LOT more characters they can use in their own company.

Top Bottom