• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Poll: Is Luigi' Neutral good?

Is Luigi's Neutral good?

• Total voters

Raijinken

Smash Master
Between fireballs, his low friction making him slide around a lot, and his general mobility and ability to start his combo game, yes.

MonkeyArms

Smash Ace
NNID
MrCheeseburger7
It depends on the character. If the opponent just so happens to have a more "rangy" nuetral, its crap. When your opponent relies on getting close up to hit you, its great.

D

Deleted member

I think it's OK.
His neutral is pretty effective, but it's limited and predictable. Certain characters can shut down his neutral completely.

FUEGO!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MontyRattata
It really is match-up specific. The fireball, which was spammable to a degree, is no longer able to do quite what it could before. Some characters can react fast enough now that Fireball>Grab isn't as reliable. So honestly where it was once amazing, I think it is now OK. Still love him.

wizrad

Smash Journeyman
NNID
nin10L3ro
3DS FC
4871-4875-5333
It's good, but it's nothing special. Without fireballs, he's slippery, slow, and floaty. With fireballs, he's slippery, slow, and floaty with fireballs.

leesinger

Smash Apprentice
NNID
yolo-swag420T.T
Its definitely nothing to write home about. As monkeyarms already said, luigi benefits from being up close and personal, so any non-projectile user will really hate fighting him, but for projectile based characters, Luigi's neutral is a bad joke.

ZestE

Smash Cadet
Between fireballs, his low friction making him slide around a lot, and his general mobility and ability to start his combo game, yes.
If anything these are reasons why his neutral is bad, minus the fireball part. His low traction means more people are safe on shield vs Luigi because he slides away out of range, effectively hurting his neutral game. He cant control his sliding to his advantage; it hurts him more than it benefits him in the neutral game.

Also his general mobility is poor, not good. His full run speed is just slightly faster than Sheik's walk, and his aerial mobility isnt too hot either.

As for the part about starting his combo game, I disagree. His combo game is good. but because it's so good he's been designed to have to really reach and work to start it. You cant just walk up and get free grabs with Luigi, nor can you fish for grabs with him.

Raijinken

Smash Master
If anything these are reasons why his neutral is bad, minus the fireball part. His low traction means more people are safe on shield vs Luigi because he slides away out of range, effectively hurting his neutral game. He cant control his sliding to his advantage; it hurts him more than it benefits him in the neutral game.

Also his general mobility is poor, not good. His full run speed is just slightly faster than Sheik's walk, and his aerial mobility isnt too hot either.

As for the part about starting his combo game, I disagree. His combo game is good. but because it's so good he's been designed to have to really reach and work to start it. You cant just walk up and get free grabs with Luigi, nor can you fish for grabs with him.
More recently I've been in discussions that have convinced me that, while the slide is a disadvantage to neutral (but an advantage to defense, as it makes it near impossible to repeatedly shield pressure him), and his mobility is low, the fireballs alone are enough to make his neutral extremely good against most characters. Though, I'd call it the defensive side of neutral. He isn't great at creating an opening, but he can force the enemy to do something silly due to that fireball, and that gives him an advantage in neutral that most characters can't match.

I do think he's an increasingly overrated character, though.

TriTails

Smash Lord
I do that, and Luigi's nuetral still isn't quite "amazing"
Yeah, Luigi's neutral isn't something like one of the best of OP by any means, but SHFF aerials DO make his neutral not complete garbage when his Fireballs stop working against certain opponents. SHFF F-air is a chore to space against, and SHFF B-air is safe on shield. Non-tethers and most bare hand grabbers can't shield grab SHFF clean N-air when spaced properly, and SH D-air works as an approaching tool.

Neutral may not be great, but Luigi's SH game is definitely above average.

Last edited:

Xavix

Smash Journeyman
NNID
xavix5
Fireballs IMO are just as spammable and useful as needles and DK's Kong Cyclone. His slipperyness, ability to weave in and out of tight situations with relative ease, and great frame data only improve this. I think the only real thing stopping luigi from having the best neutral is how his aerial mobility is atrocious.

Top Bottom