• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

*Poll* Have you ever been called names on FG?

Have you ever felt personally victimized by For Glory?

• Yes

Votes: 399 65.7%
  • No

Votes: 208 34.3%

• Total voters

KirbCider

Smash Ace
Just like everyone else here I've been insulted in FG as well. I typically play 2V2 with a friend of mine and noticed more salt gets spilled there than 1V1. In fact, I've gotten enough salt to open up my own successful business in it. I can't remember every single encounter, but there are a few I like to tell others cause I find them either hilarious or something that's too salty not to share.

In one of these instances that happened two weeks ago my friend and I were playing as our favorite duo, Gannondorf & King Dedede. I had forgotten who the other two were playing as but for the first match we won by +2. The next match we decided to switch to Shulk & ROB next and when it began the other two players tried to mirror us by trying Gannondorf & King Dedede (and they did it rather poorly mind you). This time we won by +4 to -6 due to the Gannondorf getting an SD. They weren't showing any signs of salt/poor sportsmanship at the time so we decided to stick around.

The two players then purposely waited at the results screen so we'd time out and become "READY".

It was at that point they immediately started slinging insults left and right. Any insult you've come across in FG? They had it and cycled through it like no tomorrow. They then proceeded to leave and I honestly couldn't believe how salty they gotten. As an added bonus we came across two players after that who thought they could sling insults in Spanish and us not figure it out.

Google Translate is actually pretty handy you know... Course, they could of been legit Spanish players but I still found it humorous to be insulted in another language. Either way, I don't mind the salt at all cause it gives me fun stories like these to tell. Who knows, maybe I'll come back to this thread to share more if any seem tell-worthy.

Purin a.k.a. José

Smash Lord
NNID
purinsmash
3DS FC
1418-7121-0144
Updating... I beat this guy and then "trash-net".... With no lag at all... Uuuh, maybe your Internet is trash?
Edit: The same guy said "7-1"... reference to Brazil vs. Germany??? That won't help here, I won most of the battles. FG Logic is pretty scary.

Last edited:

KnightofPizza

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LergiOfficial
I was playing FG teams with double Bowser, and we were doing pretty well, when this dude changes his name to "USUCKSPAMS" and also chose Bowser. He was horrible and lost. We just left after that. On another occasion in 1-on-1, I threw a match by killing myself accidentally, and I was thinking, "Okay, this guy was good, GG and then leave." He changes his name to "EASY" and then leaves. Some of these people need to chill.

Morbi

Scavenger
Absolutely not. I seem to always find respectable opponents. Either I lose once and they leave, I win once and they leave, or they stay indefinitely regardless of who obtains victory (so I usually play them until I am ready to log off or play with someone IRL). So no one really gets an opportunity to call me names, the people that stay, presumably, want to stay and therefore they are deterred from trash-talking. Or it is just not in their blood. Or something.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I saw someone rename themselves "GGs" after a match once, but knowing the varied way the Internet has used it, I couldn't tell for certain if the guy was trying to be respectful and nice, or if he was trying to act like he was all that and a bag of chips.

We both beat each other a few times in the few matches we played, so I'm leaning more towards the latter.

I haven't actually played online as much as I'd like too either. I'm certain I'll get mocked or insulted through name tags at some point sooner or later though...

EpicManLuke

Smash Rookie
Ive been called "garbage.." "LUCKY" "U-HACK" "2EZ" "TEIRHOG" (while I was using Marth the entire time,smh.) And my favourite, "SPAMMER" Yeah..... Because Roy can spam....

KnightofPizza

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LergiOfficial
I was just playing FG trying to brush up on my Pac-Man and practicing a new combo, and this one dude had the tag "Pathetic", and my first thoughts were "You get salty online and left to find someone else?" And then they kept the name. Ooooh. I played them, and they had a rather good ZSS, and we had a close game, with me losing. They then proceeded to cycle through the names "Man u suck" and such. At this point, the sodium chloride levels had risen to 100% and I chose my main, Bowser. I won the match due to Bowser being too stronk for the game, and they change their name to a smiley face. My name was then changed to "Salty?" and I left. My only thoughts are what a douche.

Got4n

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dalil50
Yep 3,4 times, someone told me "Only luck" and some "you suck" I was like LMAOOOOOO because I kept beating him and taunting LOL and once he beated me and he said "luck gone?" and a "son of a *****", I was like "LOL" XD :D

NewZen

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NewZen41
85% of my opponents tend to be this, unfortunately. Hell, I had to change my "GG" tag to "GudGame(s)" just to signify how many matches we've had and what I'm trying to imply. Most of the time, it's from the usual "problem players" that plague FG, as well.

Daxter

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DaxterD
3DS FC
1289-9356-8058
What do you do when someone throws a tag at you, and they're right about it? I haven't won a FG game for weeks, and of course, I get all sorts of tags as a result. Die4real, Sellthis, moron, worsteva.

I will LITERALLY pay someone real money to make me good at this game, and get my revenge on the FG community. Heck, I get these tags on Anther's too, I'm THAT bad.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
2v2 team battles.

I played Little Mac and we won: "USUXLOL"

I played Link and we won: "UsirRGood". (Stayed through when I played ROB and Dedede)

I played Ryu and we won: "DLCSUX"

BlueTier

Smash Apprentice
NNID
unknown123
3DS FC
0018-0940-3707
I have 1000+ For Glory matches. 716 wins..335 losses...Been playing since launch and I've never had anyone insult me through tags..i only sometimes get a Good Game tag. I guess im just lucky but I wouldn't care if anyone did insult me..

Swop

Smash Journeyman
NNID
STOPNSWOP
3DS FC
4210-4035-7088
Switch FC
SW 1091 0071 7555
I've been Called spammer alot and some people actually switch to a spammy character just to try and beat me.

I play olimar, you throw pikmin.

the f***.

KirbCider

Smash Ace
I've been Called spammer alot and some people actually switch to a spammy character just to try and beat me.

I play olimar, you throw pikmin.

the f***.
There's A LOT of players who apparently have a deep hatred of projectile users of ANY kind. I can understand that most of their hate comes from people who play projectile based users and do nothing but spam the whole time, but sometimes there's also people who simply don't understand what actual spamming is as well. For example:

"You used five projectile moves non-consecutively in one match? YOU'RE A SPAMMER!"

As a ROB player I get a lot of hate as well. I'm not afraid to get up close and personal as him either. Still get called a Spambot. I believe most of it is just people who don't know how to play against projectile players, or at least certain ones.

Last edited:

FalconSoup

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShadowMetal
3DS FC
4511-0759-5924
Switch FC
SW 7216 6722 4029
I actually haven't come across insults yet. Most of the people I meet are usually pretty kind. I can even remember playing against a pretty good player. We traded some compliments here and there when one of us won the match really unexpectedly.
Meeting the opposite would suck.

JAZZ_

The Armored Artist
NNID
childofgalifrey
I'm an average FG player, Im consitently between 53-67% win rate, through each last 10, last 50, last 100, and overall in 1v1.
My main is considered a low tier and I don't expect to win any match. Though I do have at bare minimum a winning record, so I'm progressing. Some weeks my record sky rockets and others it plummets, but I'm fine with losing, fine with being 2 stocked, even fine with taunts if theyre done in good taste. But the belittling someone via tags is something I don't appreciate. When I go to a tournament here locally, there isn't a hint of vicious name calling, belittling, or trash talk. the overall feel of camaraderie is infectious and feels good to be in, even if you go out early.
I know the internet brings out the worst in people and should be expected, I mean, I used to play MMO RPG's if you wanna find disrespect its there. But I always felt Smash was different than your typical Warcraft or COD, Smash and its community feels like it should be exempt from the stereotype of online games.Like we were cut from a different cloth. I didnt spend my hard earned money on a PS4 or XBOX One, instead I wanted to have fun and bought my Wii U. That was my mentality, to have fun. Its even Nintendo's mentality (thank you Iwata).
I could care less about the "Spammer" remarks I get, because I dont play :4samus: spammy at all. people who forget about a CS I hold onto for 2 min should die from it.

No its the comments you get when you are clearly outclassed, those hurt a bit. Its bad enough I had to fight someone who could go into EVO, but the disrespect that sometimes follows makes me think of jerks from previously mentioned games.

For Ex.:
On my PS3 I played Transformers: Fall of Cybertron for a long time. It had a fun online Multiplayer. But In the ENTIRE online community there was a clan of players who literally spent 142 DAYS of playtime who would go in and nearly win any match they entered. So they were great in game, but in the Lobby they were the rudest, vile little scumbags ever. they would bully new and old players into leaving the game. calling them trash and the like.
I can never understand that mentality.. isn't that how games die? if new blood doesn't get pumped in a game won't it fizzle out of existence? Why would the top players treat the community that they have fun in so badly? The online matches that these guys would enter would leave dents in the return players, as many never played again. probably kids who like bumblebee and wanted to have fun playing with their friends and what not, but instead got the sailors guide to insults. The PS3 FOC community was aware of the affect these thugs had and it was impossible for them to chill out their sick attitude.

Long story short to save the community I convinced my younger cousin who played the game on the 360 to buy a PS3 and teach these punks manners, he was #3 in the world on the Xbox servers. The first match he squared off against this team he single-handedly crippled their star teammate and won the match with a bunch of new to the game players filling in my cousins team. they called him vile names for hours via messages and lobbly mic chat. But he persisted. He alone has forced half of the jerks to retire the game and those that remain play only every now and then and keep their mics off. All with the power of GAMEPLAY, NO taunting, NO backtalk, NO nothing. He continues to play on the PS3 and reports that the community is getting a resurgence of new blood after a year of humiliating them.
Why do good players feel the need to Berate you? words like "scrub" "noob" "looser" "weak ***" "garbage" and the like are so polar opposite of what the Smash community should be like, what it was like. and its not even funny or humorous to get called these things when your losing.

I just wonder If these players could damage the community of smashers if this mentality that other online games have enters the Fun and uniqueness that is Nintendo's SMASH series.

I'm probably over thinking it but I cant help but wonder.

Last edited:

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Just like everyone else here I've been insulted in FG as well. I typically play 2V2 with a friend of mine and noticed more salt gets spilled there than 1V1. In fact, I've gotten enough salt to open up my own successful business in it. I can't remember every single encounter, but there are a few I like to tell others cause I find them either hilarious or something that's too salty not to share.

In one of these instances that happened two weeks ago my friend and I were playing as our favorite duo, Gannondorf & King Dedede. I had forgotten who the other two were playing as but for the first match we won by +2. The next match we decided to switch to Shulk & ROB next and when it began the other two players tried to mirror us by trying Gannondorf & King Dedede (and they did it rather poorly mind you). This time we won by +4 to -6 due to the Gannondorf getting an SD. They weren't showing any signs of salt/poor sportsmanship at the time so we decided to stick around.

The two players then purposely waited at the results screen so we'd time out and become "READY".

It was at that point they immediately started slinging insults left and right. Any insult you've come across in FG? They had it and cycled through it like no tomorrow. They then proceeded to leave and I honestly couldn't believe how salty they gotten. As an added bonus we came across two players after that who thought they could sling insults in Spanish and us not figure it out.

Google Translate is actually pretty handy you know... Course, they could of been legit Spanish players but I still found it humorous to be insulted in another language. Either way, I don't mind the salt at all cause it gives me fun stories like these to tell. Who knows, maybe I'll come back to this thread to share more if any seem tell-worthy.
Someonw told called me a loser and to suck his ****...lmao
But fair enough i was duck hunt and i was spamming and taunting 24/7 so its ok lmao..

I was bored...

Ravine

Smash Journeyman
My Mii is Mariah Carey. I'd be really surprised if someone insulted a $520 million, multi-award winning, extremely popular, influential, and talented, woman.

Wikipedia entry of her honors and awards:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mariah_Carey
Throughout Carey's career, she has collected many honors and awards, including the World Music Awards' Best Selling Female Artist of the Millennium, the Grammy's Best New Artist in 1991, and Billboard's Special Achievement Award for the Artist of the Decade during the 1990s.[320] In a career spanning over 20 years, Carey has sold over 200 million records worldwide, making her one of the biggest-selling artists in music history.[321][322] Carey is ranked as the best-selling female artist of the Nielsen SoundScan era, with over 52 million copies sold.[323][324] Possessing a five-octave vocal range, Carey was ranked first in MTV and Blender magazine's 2003 countdown of the 22 Greatest Voices in Music, and was placed second in Cove magazine's list of "The 100 Outstanding Pop Vocalists".[269][325] Aside from her voice, she has become known for her songwriting. Yahoo Music editor Jason Ankeny wrote, "She earned frequent comparison to rivals Whitney Houston and Celine Dion, but did them both one better by composing all of her own material."[326] According to Billboard magazine, she was the most successful artist of the 1990s in the United States.[327] At the 2000 World Music Awards, Carey was given a Legend Award for being the "best-selling female pop artist of the millennium", as well as the "Best-selling artist of the 90s" in the United States, after releasing a series of albums of multiplatinum status in Asia and Europe, such as Music Box and Number 1's.[325][328] She is also a recipient of the Chopard Diamond award in 2003, recognizing sales of over 100 million albums worldwide.[329] Additionally, the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) lists Carey as the third-best-selling female artist, with shipments of over 63 million units in the US.[330][331] In Japan, Carey has the top four highest-selling albums of all time by a non-Asian artist.[332]

Carey has spent 79 weeks at the number-one position on Billboard Hot 100, the greatest number for any artist in US chart history.[333] On that same chart, she has accumulated 18 number-one singles, the most for any solo artist (and second after The Beatles).[334] In 1994, Carey released her holiday album Merry Christmas has sold over 15 million copies worldwide, and is the best-selling Christmas album of all time.[64][65][335][336] It also produced the successful single "All I Want for Christmas Is You", which became the only holiday song and ringtone to reach multi-platinum status in the US.[337] In Japan, Number 1's has sold over 3,250,000 copies and is the best-selling album of all time in Japan by a non-Asian artist.[338] Her hit single "One Sweet Day", which featured Boyz II Men, spent sixteen consecutive weeks at the top of Billboard‍ 's Hot 100 chart in 1996, setting the record for the most weeks atop the Hot 100 chart in history.[324] After Carey's success in Asia with Merry Christmas, Billboard estimated Carey as the all-time best-selling international artist in Japan.[339] In 2008, Billboard listed "We Belong Together" ninth on The BillboardHot 100 All-Time Top Songs[340] and second on Top Billboard Hot 100 R&B/Hip-Hop Songs.[341] The song was also declared the most popular song of the 2000s decade by Billboard.[145] In 2009, Carey's cover of Foreigner's song "I Want to Know What Love Is" became the longest-running number-one song in Brazilian singles chart history, spending 27 consecutive weeks at number-one.[342] Additionally, Carey has had three songs debut at number-one on the Billboard Hot 100: "Fantasy", "One Sweet Day" and "Honey", making her the artist with the most number-one debuts in the chart's 52-year history.[343] Also, she is the first female artist to debut at number 1 in the U.S. with "Fantasy".[325] In 2010, Carey's 13th album and second Christmas album, Merry Christmas II You, debuted at No.1 on the R&B/Hip-Hop Albums chart, making it only the second Christmas album to top that chart. On November 19, 2010, Billboard magazine named Carey in their "Top 50 R&B/Hip-Hop Artists of the Past 25 Years" chart at number four.[344] In 2012, Carey was ranked second on VH1's list of the "100 Greatest Women in Music".[345]

Last edited:

The_Devious

Smash Apprentice
NNID
The_devious97
I beat someone with Fox (they where using sonic) and they called me "tier *****", "git gud", "git gud internet", (even though he was the one with bad internet) "you suck". This guy's tags were ready made, too. I made a "you salty?" tag after that to use in these situations and it's had plenty of use.

Last edited:

Freduardo

Smash Champion
Before the match even started a guy on 2v2 changed his name to "Bad net" "Lag sucks" "Net sucks" "Terrible" "Trash" You Are "Trash'

Then we fought to sudden death, me and cousin had a narrow win, and he quit.

KirbCider

Smash Ace
Before the match even started a guy on 2v2 changed his name to "Bad net" "Lag sucks" "Net sucks" "Terrible" "Trash" You Are "Trash'
I love people who automatically start off with Tags like that. It lets me know right off the bat to play as seriously as I can.

Once in a 2V2 match I encountered someone who automatically had "***" and "Scrubs" Tags up and ready. After two matches which they both lost they changed them to "Gitgud" and "USuk" before quickly leaving. Someone was saltier than McDonalds fries.

The only thing that confused me about that encounter was the "Gitgud"/"USuk" remarks. I mean, we beat them twice. How silly.

Purin a.k.a. José

Smash Lord
NNID
purinsmash
3DS FC
1418-7121-0144
I wonder what does the average FG player thinks about Puff. I got a "LUCK" tag twice through my whole For Glory period (1000+ matches). Once it was a Bowser:
After playing three games with Kirby and Jiggly, he says "LUCK.LOL" when I beat his Bowser as Jiggly. I proceed to kick his *** (can I say that word on Smashboards?) as Falcon and say "SKILL". After that, I logged out.
Now it was a Mario. I broke his shield!!! Pound is a move that break Shields pretty easily, but it's hard to do it; you can clearly see how powerful it is to make shield pressure. If I broke your shield, it was your lack of atention and my pressure that made me win; not my RNGsus "Luck" or whatever. After all, it takes guts to win with Puff.

Edit: 1 day later, that is the best name-calling yet! I played against this Falcon. He was pretty good!! He got my first stock. As he gave the "last" Raptor Boost, he already started the Taunt spamming. Then, I did quite the Comeback and won! The next step he would take is...... Insulting me! Epic. "LAGGY", "UR•POOR. "SALTY?", I asked. He answered "HAHAHAHA" and "LEAVE". I said "GrowUp" and he had his rematch. I was winning and he gave the finishing Raptor Boost. I lost, and he said "Rekt" "HAHAHA" and left. I simply laughed here on my home!

Last edited:

Seb9k+

Smash Cadet
NNID
Seb9kplus
All the time. I don't even play like a **** or taunt a lot (unless I'm falcon. You have to show your moves.) and yet people feel the need to insult me. It's happened twice today already.

The ironic thing about this, is that 99% of the people who do this to me stand no chance of winning. Earlier I played against this german kid and after I beat him ~15 games in a row, he'd start going on with "YOU SUCK", "TRYHARDER", "F*CK YOU" etc. which is just... beyond ironic.... I mean, if I suck, why couldn't he win?

I did the immature thing and kept playing ~5 games with him, taunting at him all the time while two stocking him and kept setting my own name to ":3" and "XD" (I have no proper insults added, why would I?) only to make him even saltier.

I seriously wish they'd remove the feature to change your name once you're already in a fight. 90% of the time I get insults, only 10% of the time I meet someone who's actually good who goes "GG" or even compliments me on a nice win.

D

Deleted member

I fought this Lucas with Luigi.
We had two very good, close matches. I was going to put my "GGs!" tag because I had a good time and he calls me a profanity really quickly before he left.
Really? You are good! We had two close games! I'm sorry that my favorite video game character is one of the better characters in the game... I can't control that.

Yesterday I fought this Greninja and I didn't fight to the best of my ability because I was a bit tired and rusty.
During the match, he KOs my Luigi and t-bags. I step it up a notch and won the match. However, when GAME! came on the screen, the game lagged and my opponent was gone. It was either because his Internet conveniently went bad when the match ended or he unplugged his Wii U or router to conserve a perfect win record on For Glory.
I was going to leave after that match regardless if I won or lost because the t-bagging showed that he was trying to pour salt in me.

Seb9k+

Smash Cadet
NNID
Seb9kplus
Really? You are good! We had two close games! I'm sorry that my favorite video game character is one of the better characters in the game... I can't control that.
It's funny, because Lucas is equally sick in this game with combos, so he really has no reason to be salty. Reminds me of this time when a Ness player called me out for playing cheap and safe by using Shulk. Really, dude? And this was even before his back throw was nerfed. XD

Abyssal Lagiacrus

Fly across the high seas and mountains
NNID
LugiaTheGuardian
3DS FC
2981-6257-4399
I remember I was trying to train my Wii Fit Trainer, but got bopped by this Falcon. He changed his tag to "HADENUF?" (had enough?), so I chose my main guy Iggy since he was acting so cocky.

2-stocked him and he changed his tag to "GIMMICK"

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
I decided to give Free for All FG a shot today, which resulted in a sudden death against me and a Little Mac. The Mac got me with a well timed down smash, and afterwards he changed his name to "LOL" and "JAJAJA XD". Wow you won a sudden death! Such skill!

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I once fought a Ganondorf user who ended up changing his tag to "LAGMORE" after he beat my Link. No idea what he meant by that since our matches weren't laggy at all.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Well today I fought an Ike player named REACTOR (who also played DK and Ganondorf) and I'll admit he was pretty good. We both won twice and I was getting bored so I changed my name to "GOOD GAMES" and prepared to leave. Right before I could quit he changed his name to "UR TRASH" (in the previous match he destroyed me with Ike). I said "LOL" and decided to fight him a few more times. I somehow beat his f-air/jab Ike twice in a row and left without saying anything. Sadly I couldn't upload the matches to Youtube since they were longer than 3 minutes though you can still find them by searching Ike/Wario North America 1v1's on the Wii U version.

Slickfate

Smash Rookie
NNID
Slikfate
3DS FC
0447-8773-9657
I've been called scrub by someone just because I lost a match while I was messing around with random characters. I switched to my main and 2 stocked him. He switched his tag to "CHEAP" and he left. Oh how much I hate FG.

Seb9k+

Smash Cadet
NNID
Seb9kplus
I once fought a Ganondorf user who ended up changing his tag to "LAGMORE" after he beat my Link. No idea what he meant by that since our matches weren't laggy at all.
Probably convincing himself that he didn't lose to your skill, but to "lag". A couple of days ago I met a french guy who was playing ZSS. It was as lagfree as online can possibly get, but after a few seconds he somehow managed getting stuck under the flat stage and SD. He then immediately killed himself again, set his name to "LAG" and "REPORTED" and then he left. XD

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
2 stocked a Roy that proceed to put the tags "Wow" "Ur rly bad". Missed a chance to say "Ur rly mad", but well. "Lol" was enough.

Also got a Pac-Man who told me "Noob"... Even though I won all battles.

Seb9k+

Smash Cadet
NNID
Seb9kplus
Also got a Pac-Man who told me "Noob"... Even though I won all battles.
That one's a classic. It's happened to me several times that I beat someone in say 10 games in a row, having fun, putting GG and stuff; and then suddenly, the other dude starts saying things like "YOU SUCK" "N00B" etc... the irony is too strong to comprehend

Jellybean

Smash Rookie
NNID
Mr.Gameguy
3DS FC
2621-2913-3131
I have been pretty fortunate when it comes to disrespectful/salty FG players. I've found plenty mutual taunters and players kind enough to SD. It's really sad people are having all these awful online experiences.

LunarDistortion

Lord of the Nigelchu's
NNID
Lunar_Distortion
3DS FC
4639-9294-0127
Switch FC
SW-4041-3028-0448
I haven't come across many insults, the only one I can think of is a person changing their name to "MACSUCKS" when I lost as a Mac.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Actually, I can recall one instance where I may have been called "Noob" followed by the guy leaving just seconds later.

I defeated him though, so it was a matter of salt. :shaker: I'd honestly rather be insulted through tags after winning rather than losing though. It's irritating to see people show-off their precious ego, but when they resort to insults after losing a game it's hilarious. Makes me extra satisfied to know that I defeated someone who thinks they're all that and a bag of chips.

Top Bottom