• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Poll: Best doubles partner for Mr. Game & Watch

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
Whenever I watch team tourneys, I always watch for moments when the fighters chain moves together into an effective offense. But when watching some other tourneys, certain teams will look more or less cohesive. That got me wondering. Who is the best partner for each character? Well, since I’m a casual Brawler, and I don’t have the expertise to judge, so why not ask the experts? I originally tried this on GameFAQs, but the users in general were immature, or not qualified to give the information. Then I remembered the specific boards on Smashboards, so I brought the poll here. So who do you think the best partner is for Mr. Game & Watch?

Rules:

- The poll will last for a week. If it becomes popular, it may last longer.
- You may only vote for one character.
- Assume friendly fire is on.
- Assume there are no items.
- After posting your answer, give a detailed reason why you choose that character. If you don’t give viable information, your vote will not be added.
- You may ask to change your vote if you have a viable reason.
- Discussion on your choices is allowed. NO FLAMES!!!
- If you vote Pokemon Trainer, you must discuss details for all his pokemon.
- If you vote on the Pokemon Trainer poll, you must discuss details for all his pokemon.
- If you want to use videos to explain your reasoning, feel free to post them, but remember. I play this game casually, so you have to explain what parts of the video are important and why they are important.
- You may vote on multiple polls.
- If issues occur, I may add or remove rules, so be sure to review the list.

Bowser – 0
Captain Falcon – 0
Diddy Kong – 0
Donkey Kong – 0
Falco – 0
Fox – 0
Game & Watch – 0
Ganondorf – 0
Ice Climbers – 0
Ike – 0
Jigglypuff – 0
King Dedede – 0
Kirby – 0
Link – 0
Lucario – 0
Lucas – 0
Luigi – 0
Mario – 0
Marth – 0
Meta Knight – 0
Ness – 0
Olimar – 0
Peach – 0
Pikachu – 2
Pit – 0
Pokemon Trainer – 0
R.O.B. – 0
Samus – 0
Sheik – 0
Snake – 0
Sonic – 0
Toon Link – 0
Wario – 0
Wolf – 0
Yoshi – 0
Zelda – 1
Zero Suit Samus – 2

Replies: 9

If your vote isn’t tallied, you may have done one of the following:

- You voted for multiple people or didn’t make your answer clear
- You voted for multiple characters
- You didn’t give a good reason.

AfroThunder396

Smash Cadet
Anyone with energy attacks to fill his bucket. ZSS is the choice I would vote for because her Dsmash comes out quickly and can fill his bucket no problem. I remember seeing a video before of Game & Watch and ZSS, can't find it now, but they flowed together pretty good. ZSS has range and speed while Game & Watch has his great aerials and smashes.

Mark one vote for ZSS.

BBQ°

Smash Champion
Pikachu.

Whenever Pikachu uses thunder, G&W should be there filling up his bucket. Once it is full, he can launch it at an opponent for a 1 hit KO every time even with DI.

JustKindaBoredUKno

Smash Lord
lol well it all depends.

if you're talking about bucket, Pikachu is probly the best one.

but theres the glitch involving MK and G&W, where G&W up-bs as MK up-throws, instant death... id find that pretty useful in a game, lol.

but considering thats insta-ban, Pikachu.

Gindler

Smash Champion
Pikachu, ZSS, Ness I think are all good. Everyone already explained pikachu and ZSS. Ness's pkt makes 1 hit kill buckets at 0%. and G&W's Dthrow you can easily make the opponent choose between getting nailed with a pkt2 (for those of you not hit by one of those, it's uber powerful) if they roll a certain direction, G&W's Dsmash, or G&W's Usmash so they're pretty good for bucket o' death and tech chasing, plus Ness has that killer Bthrow for easy kill. Alas not many ness players out there.

Voxx

Smash Apprentice
lol well it all depends.

if you're talking about bucket, Pikachu is probly the best one.

but theres the glitch involving MK and G&W, where G&W up-bs as MK up-throws, instant death... id find that pretty useful in a game, lol.

but considering thats insta-ban, Pikachu.
My friend and i tried doing this, wasnt there a youtube video of this being done?
Does the stage matter? I'd thinkg corneria would be the easiest to do this in...

ADMJP

Smash Apprentice
all of you are making suggestions based on if you seem to have terrible opponents that will let you do whatever you want. Keep in mind that if your strat is something stupidly obvious like:

1. spam energy
2. bucket energy
3. unleash energy in bucket form
4. ????
5. profit!!!

Your opponent, considering that this is at a tournament, will punish you for leaving yourself open in an attempt to fill up an attack that you will only be able to use if you catch them offguard anyway.

That said, a good partner is one that will enable Gdubs to take advantage of his perks (i.e. insane smashes) is one that will immobilize an opponent reliably.
Therefore, I believe a person that is skilled with Zelda is easily the best doubles partner, as many of her attacks are multi-hit where the opponent is stuck unless they DI out of it, allowing Gdubs to get a smash in while they are suspended. Also she has one of the better buckets to provide Gdubs with thanks to Din's Fire. On top of that, almost every aerial of hers is a kill move when used properly.

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
Depends on the opponent. My partner normally plays any character that runs rainbow cruise well. If the opponent is inexperienced there, or their character is bad there (ICs) then this can wreck them bad.

Lucario complements well I find, I can't put my finger on it.

napZzz

Smash Hero
snake

he has OP'd attacks to aid with game watchs ability to rack damage, they are also both good killers. Snake can control ground and game and watch the air

cutter

Smash Champion
As much as it seems like G&W and Wario wouldn't make a good team, Lovage and Plan 9 really are amazing together after watching a ton of their vids. I really don't know what makes G&W/Wario a great combo though. I just like the synergy of Snake/G&W like Nappy said (dominant ground and aerial games) or G&W + character with an energy projectile.

Voxx

Smash Apprentice
I would say ness, ness has great power and can prolly hold his end by using his pk2. He also has his pk fire that when it hits, it still continues burning and gw can easily bucket it and punish if his opponent is still in trance.

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
The best partner for G&W is G&W.
But really, I think Snake and Wario have pretty good synergy. Aside from them, Pikachu is probably the best bucket filler. The Jolt can be captured across the stage, or up close, and if it's caught up close it's as strong as a thunder.

My vote goes to Snake, I supposerz.

Needle of Juntah

Smash Champion
1.metaknight
2.snake
3.wario
4.GW(i guess with another GW like me hed prolly be like 1 or 2 but ive never teamed with a great GW like XYZ or Hylian)

honorable mentions go to DDD pikachu and falco

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
MK is GW's best teammate.

D

Deleted member

ZSS because of the long range attacks and the obvious bucket technique

Lovage 805

Smash Champion
As much as it seems like G&W and Wario wouldn't make a good team, Lovage and Plan 9 really are amazing together after watching a ton of their vids. I really don't know what makes G&W/Wario a great combo though. I just like the synergy of Snake/G&W like Nappy said (dominant ground and aerial games) or G&W + character with an energy projectile.
true, we do ****
but anyway

i really believe this is a dominant team, i'll have more on this team this weekend when i team with futile at a major local.

napZzz

Smash Hero
Odd seeing mk, I know he's a really good team mate for DDD (try it sometime :) ) but I'm not sure how it works with game and watch?

I'm still convinced on snake being the best partner for game and watch, because he can be a good tank to last for awhile for game and watch to maybe steal lives on and he also dishes out some major damage, and game and watch doesn't need to worry about any ground combat.

Voxx

Smash Apprentice
Yeah im curious to see how MK helps GW, i always get too much colission when i partner with him.

GuyWhoFry!

Smash Rookie
I like Olimar for partner. I don't really like the idea of bucket-filling, because any good player will P-U-N-I-S-H you for it, and Olimar does a good job of immobilizing (or holding in a small, general area anyway :psycho:) when played well. Just land a couple of grabs (Olimar) and let G&W smash away, and you should be fine. It always helps that Olimar has a great aerial game, and that he can also hold his own with pretty decent smashes.

Another juicy little trick that is (if you can pull it off) rather satisfying, is a D-air spike from Olly, while above ground on an opponent, straight to the G&W, waiting with a D-smash charging. There's potential synergy...it just needs to be explored, and you might need to watch out for strong smashes, as both characters are pretty light :psycho:

Needle of Juntah

Smash Champion
MK is GW's best teammate.
true but only at the hand of a great teams playing meta knight like Mew2King, RX or Vidjogamer

and about bucket filling. this shouldent be a major strat of your team unless u team with the same person every tourney. if the big hype on your team is "I CAN FILL YOUR BUCKET OMGOGMOMG" you can bet its probably a bad team.

Lovage 805

Smash Champion
im still reppin gaw+wario
me and futile just teamed at a decent sized local yesterday, won, i dont think we lost a single game thru the entire thing, (3-0'd bardull and jont, 3-0'd edrees and champ)

you need good communication, everytime the wario grabs in front of you, you have to be behind him charging an usmash or dsmash for his dthrow. we got like 40% of our kills this way. its amazing

Voxx

Smash Apprentice
im still reppin gaw+wario
me and futile just teamed at a decent sized local yesterday, won, i dont think we lost a single game thru the entire thing, (3-0'd bardull and jont, 3-0'd edrees and champ)

you need good communication, everytime the wario grabs in front of you, you have to be behind him charging an usmash or dsmash for his dthrow. we got like 40% of our kills this way. its amazing
Vids or it didnt happen haha i kid

nevershootme

Smash Master
AfroThunder396, was this what you were looking for?

Real match: GaW and ZSS: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifeMYXSj-NI

Apparently the guy playing ZSS doesn't actually main her either and I can see that. Imagine this with an actual ZSS main
that video was mine. Although i do not main her, the video just proves that it's a proof of concept that's waiting for huge potential from anyone trying to use this type of tactic. one thing is that it would not work well on certain matchups unless you have tons of experience against several characters and awesome communication.

Lovage 805

Smash Champion
Futile and I just took another 90+ tourny in socal, lost 2 matches the whole tournament, to BoA and Teba (in different sets) but besides that pretty much *****

wario gaw is an amazing team

Top Bottom