• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokken Fighters: It's an actual thing now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puppyfaic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Puppyluvv
(Still rooting for my boy, Hawlucha!)

I'm pretty glad we got a console port for Pokken Tournament. I was afraid the game was going to be too simple but from the gameplay footage, it does look like it had ton of depth to it.
For some reason people always try to equate simple controls to no depth, and I never understand why.

Last edited:

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
For some reason people always try to equate simple controls to no depth, and I never understand why.
Agreed! Super Smash Bros. games have simple controls but also a great deal of depth. Same thing with the Virtua Fighter games which use just 3 buttons for punching, kicking and guarding.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
As it stands we're getting at least 4 more pokemon fighters...

So assuming 4 is the magic number what are some predictions for new fighters?

Scizor-Perhaps it is wishful thinking or perhaps it being a very popular bug-type as well as adding a unique niche as well as another Mega Evolution to show off in game has something to do with his chances....Scizor can have a unique fighting style based on it's pincers, but can also showcase a physical style centered around both it's bug and steel typings with move like X-Scissor and Metal Claw as well as use attacks like Bullet Punch and Iron Head and even Bug Buzz and Silver Wind...Maybe even use Fury Cutter which is an attack that gets stronger the more it is used...

Lopunny-Really? Yes...As it stands we have no Normal types, Lopuuny also gets access to a lot of fighting type moves as well as becoming a Fighting type for her Mega evolution...She could be a very quick and nimble physical fighter, perhaps being the ZSS of Pokken, I also feel that having another feminine fighter along side Gardevoir could help add some variety to the roster and Lopunny does have it's fans...overall Lopunny does fit into the game fairly well imo...

Tyranitar-We have no psuedo legends on the roster yet, nor do we have any characters that specialize in Earth based attacks, Tyranitar's a popular pokemon back in Gen 2 and it's popularity hasn't dwindled throughout the years, from being added to Lance team during his rematch in Heart Gold and Soul Silver to getting a beastly Mega form in X and Y

Garchomp-Another Earth based attacker, another Psuedo legend but also a Dragon type that we have yet to see (outside of Charizard X) on the roster, Garchomp has always been a fan favourite being pretty much the sole reason people fear Cynthia, as well as it's Mega Form to go with it's physical fighting style which contrast Charizard that fills the 'flying dragon' archetype...

Some other Pokemon I feel have a solid chance of getting in should the roster expand...
Mewtwo
Greninja
Sceptile
Zoroark
Ampharos
Dragonite
Gallade
Hawlucha (is still on the fence, I'm not sure if a Luchadore warrants two fighters for a smaller roster and with Librechu already being a thing, if the roster gets larger it could happen)

BoltDragon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mario_Seth
3DS FC
0989-2878-5909
I support Pokken fully! Especially since I have higher hopes that they will add Dragonite for once to the team! The thing about Dragonite is, that he would decimate Charizard, and have a strong fighting chance against other Pokemon as well. Hopefully my wish become reality! Please update me @ BoltDragon BoltDragon , and support Dragonite for Pokken!!!

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
Assuming they try to get all types in AND try to keep the character archetypes balanced to a degree I can see these being the most probable:

Rhyperior:
Power
Rock/Ground

Scizor:
Speed(?)
Bug/Steel

Lopunny:
Speed(?)
Normal

Serperior:
Technique(?)
Grass

and they really could pick a few dragons to be honest :/ most likely

Dragonite
Power
Dragon/Flying

Assuming they try to get all types in AND try to keep the character archetypes balanced to a degree I can see these being the most probable:

Rhyperior:
Power
Rock/Ground

Scizor:
Speed(?)
Bug/Steel

Lopunny:
Speed(?)
Normal

Serperior:
Technique(?)
Grass

and they really could pick a few dragons to be honest :/ most likely

Dragonite
Power
Dragon/Flying

Serperior is already a background character.

MandoBardanJusik

Smash Ace
Half the playable roster are background characters, that does not rule out a character at all(in fact it may help in some cases because then they already have the high detail art assets)
Also, still hoping for an eeveelution, and we don't have a dedicated fairy type yet

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Half the playable roster are background characters, that does not rule out a character at all(in fact it may help in some cases because then they already have the high detail art assets)
Also, still hoping for an eeveelution, and we don't have a dedicated fairy type yet
<--- What is my avatar? Chopped liver?

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Dedicated Fairy-type. Gardevoir is primarily Psychic-type. Something like Sylveon would be better representation.
The Burst Move is Fairy Tempest, I think the game is counting Gardevoir as a Fairy.

Besides Sylveon would need some different gameplay because it seems like it's obvious gimmick (using ribbons in place of hands) is already taken by Suicune. I'd like to see what they so though

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746

Trailer for Pikachu Libre

and holy ****, did she just did a cold stone stunner at 0:37? Maining on day 1
Found my main too.:chuckle:

Possibly secondary if someone way cooler gets announced but for now Pikachu Libre all the way.:025:

BoltDragon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mario_Seth
3DS FC
0989-2878-5909
Pokken Fighters is a good fighting type style game for Pokemon GameFreak's just like me! I sincerely want Dragonite added to Pokken, because the Only Attention he ever receives is when he gets a Special Distribution at Toys R Us, or at GameStop. Things are looking pretty decent for his chances of getting into this game, especially since Charizard needs a Generation 1 Dragon-type to fight.:149:

Aside from that fact, I am supporting ONLY Dragonite, and there is one reason why he must be added. Currently, Dragonite has minor popularity in the Super smash bros DLC ballot, so iw as thinking if Dragonite Does'nt make it into Smash as an official character, why not add him to Pokken? It's probably a smart thing to do for Nintendo, because some fans like me who support Dragonite want to see him return again, not as a Background NPC, but rather a playable fighter. I'll post back here when i can, until then, peace out.

BTW, this image off Dragonite, Jesse, and James is Copyright of Both Nintendo of America, and Nintendo of Japan, along With the Pokemon Company LTD, and GameFreak. No Copyright infringement intended.

Also, be sure to check @ BoltDragon BoltDragon for more details about supporting Dragonite for Super smash bros DLC!

Last edited:

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304

Trailer for Pikachu Libre

meh...unimpressed, just seems like a flashier style compared to regular Pikachu...we'll see what other fighters are added though...

Still hoping for Scizor!:212: After that they can add all the other cosplay pikachus for all I care!
Haxorus would be great, though!

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
I doubt Scizor will get in, but hey, if Suicune and Weavile got in, I guess anything could happen.

:007:
Why? Having a bug type fighter would prove to be rather unique especially amoung the current cast and Scizor in particular is one of the most popular Bug types out there and would fit very well in a fighting game such as this...

Aidan25

Smash Cadet
NNID
Aidan
3DS FC
0361-7892-7562
I should probably cough up the cash to buy a Wii U before this comes out. Looks very promising and I can't wait to try it.

BoltDragon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mario_Seth
3DS FC
0989-2878-5909
Pokken provides me with some reassurence that my favorite fighter could get added as playable character. I really would like to see Dragonite added into the mix! Things just wouldn't be the same without a good ol' pal from Generation 1, who is an O.P. Dragon type pokemon!!!:149: Expect me to post back here when the time permits.

Last edited:

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
I just hope we can get at least 1 rep from each generation as well as getting at least 1 of each type.

I'm not gonna complain either way but it would be nice.

:144::121:

Last edited:

MandoBardanJusik

Smash Ace
Well looks like the game finally has it's first boss(and hopefully will have another by physical relase), and its:
MEGA MEWTWO... Z?!

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1132484

NicoNico Video (must have account)

Apparently added via a surprise update.

He seems to be a special Boss, and could be created specifically for Pokken but...possibly Mega Mewtwo Z?
end quote

Well technically he's called Dark Mewtwo, so we got our own Devil Jin equivalent, and he looks sick, definitely want to play as him. hoping for a cooler name in localization
Obvious normal Mewtwo's going to be playable in arcade by the time home version comes along, but home version should get this guy too!

Hopefully we get a giant boss as well, like Groudon, Tyranitar, or Hoopa Unleashed, but wait and see, but Tekken games tend to have one normal sized and one giant boss. Kinda hoping we get a character blowout when Pokken tournament hits the directs in the spring, still hoping for an Eeveelution.

Edit: video of the intro

Last edited:

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
Awesome! I've been dying to hear anything new and this is perfect. I do hope they make a mega mewtwo Z.

EDIT: I doubt it could be Z though. It resembles X too much to me.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well looks like the game finally has it's first boss(and hopefully will have another by physical relase), and its:
MEGA MEWTWO... Z?!

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1132484

NicoNico Video (must have account)

Apparently added via a surprise update.

He seems to be a special Boss, and could be created specifically for Pokken but...possibly Mega Mewtwo Z?
end quote

Well technically he's called Dark Mewtwo, so we got our own Devil Jin equivalent, and he looks sick, definitely want to play as him. hoping for a cooler name in localization
Obvious normal Mewtwo's going to be playable in arcade by the time home version comes along, but home version should get this guy too!

Hopefully we get a giant boss as well, like Groudon, Tyranitar, or Hoopa Unleashed, but wait and see, but Tekken games tend to have one normal sized and one giant boss. Kinda hoping we get a character blowout when Pokken tournament hits the directs in the spring, still hoping for an Eeveelution.

Edit: video of the intro
How can Namco make their own OCs but Nintendo can't even get a Pikachu pattern on Yoshi.

c-1

Smash Cadet
This Mewtwo Design really brings Burning Godzilla to Mind.

Last edited:

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Dedicated Fairy-type. Gardevoir is primarily Psychic-type. Something like Sylveon would be better representation.
Clefairy?

I'm somewhat disappointed that Pokemon like Heracross, Ursaring, Miltank, Pangoro and Zangoose (WHY?!?) have potential and didn't make the cut

Lopunny would be a pretty wicked idea now that someone mentioned her. I like the idea of having a Lopunny on the roster

Holy ****, she did!

Brb placing her as my secondary main after Gengar

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
According to serebii, a new character and support mon will be announced on the tenth. I'm hype.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
According to serebii, a new character and support mon will be announced on the tenth. I'm hype.
YYup and thanks to a clue we narrowed down a list... of about 180 or so pokemon.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
YYup and thanks to a clue we narrowed down a list... of about 180 or so pokemon.
Yeah I have no clue which pokemon have that character in its name.

It still is exciting though.

EDIT: Sceptile and Tyranitar are on the list. Either of those could be likely.

Last edited:

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Well that's interesting. Since there's a Pokemon with the letter "n" in their name, it narrows it down quite well. Nidoking, Rhydon, and Nidoqueen would make great fighters from them right off the bat

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well that's interesting. Since there's a Pokemon with the letter "n" in their name, it narrows it down quite well. Nidoking, Rhydon, and Nidoqueen would make great fighters from them right off the bat
Remember they got different names in Japan. Especially the poor Legendary birds who got stuck with plain English words.

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
ン is the character that they hinted correct...unless Google betrays me.....it's the letter 'N' in english...

So which Pokemon has this character in their japanese name?

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
ン is the character that they hinted correct...unless Google betrays me.....it's the letter 'N' in english...

So which Pokemon has this character in their japanese name?
To answer your question, here are two links:
  • Link#1 will take you to a Pastebin list that lists every Pokemon with ン in its Japanese name.
  • Link #2 will take you to a post in the NintenZone Social Thread that narrowed down the list by removing all the pre-evolutions and most of the Pokemon that already appear as background or support Pokemon.
Changing the subject, I thought I'd give my thoughts what I think are the most likely candidates for the fighter reveal on the 10th in light of that hint. I copied and pasted it from original post in the NintenZone Social Thread..

Generation 1:

Jigglypuff - I personally don't think Jigglypuff is that likely, but considering Smash Bros is why she is still largely recognized to this day, I won't be too surprised if she's the next reveal.

Arcanine - Popular Pokemon who could use very animalistic attacks to stand out from the other Fire-types currently on the roster, but there is another Pokemon that serves as competition for it. Keep on reading to find out.

Alakazam - Pretty strong candidate as it is viewed as the original Psychic type Pokemon. Combine that with its popularity and the fact it has a Mega Evolution and it seems that Alakazam has a pretty good shot. One major problem that I see with Alakazam is that Gardevoir could already be seen as the special-based Psychic-type attacker in the roster (at least that's what most of her moves are like), and now with Mewtwo in the fray, I can't say Alakazam has a supremely high chance.

Snorlax - Another memorable and popular Pokemon that is a decent candidate (not to mention we still don't have a Normal-type on the roster yet). I could see it being the primary heavy hitter in the current roster - quite slow but can attack with very strong attacks through moves like Body Slam.

Generation 2:

Ampharos - One of the first Electric types Pokemon to receive a Mega Evolution, and a pretty popular and memorable generation II Pokemon. Pikachu might already be the primary Electric type attacker, but I think that doesn't necessarily mean we won't get another Electric type.

Donphan - We still do not have a Ground-type fighter on the current roster, and with the recent hint, I think Donphan is a decent candidate. It's another popular and memorable generation II Pokemon who could stand out with its ramming-style attack, rollouts, and ground moves like Earthquake. While Pokemon like Terrakion, Mamoswine, Tyranitar could serve as competition for sharing some of the moveset possibilities Donphan is capable of, my gut instincts keep telling me Donphan is a strong possibility.

Entei - With Suicune already in the game, I won't be surprised if the other Legendary Beasts will appear as fighters. Remember how I previously said Arcanine would stand out from other the other Fire-type Pokemon currently on the roster through an animalistic like moveset? Well, I think Entei is another candidate for this kind of fighter. Hopefully, if Entei joins the fray, then we should see Raikou join along at some point.

Tyranitar - The big pseudo-legendary of generation II, Tyranitar could really stand out with a quake-style moveset combined with Rock moves, ability to summon a sandstorm, and a Godzilla-like attacks involving biting, scratching, and stomping. Its popularity and fame, further proven with the fact it was one of the first Pokemon to get a Mega, does give it a strong edge in its competition, not to mention we don't have any major Rock-type attackers on the roster currently.

Generation 3

Sceptile - I personally think Sceptile is one of the strongest candidates for the next reveal. It's basically the forerunner for the first Grass-type to become a full-fledged playable fighter thanks to all that it has going for it (starter Pokemon, Mega Evolution, and the fact it's soon going to have major importance in the Pokemon anime as Sawyer's, Ash's main Kalos rival, signature Pokemon). With raptor-style attacks added to the mix, no doubt it would be unique. It is debatable if we will actually see more than one from a regional starter trio be represented on the roster though. Well, if Sceptile does make it in, then I hope Swampert will eventually join in since it would be quite unfair to have two of the trio represented while excluding only one.

Salamence - One of the strongest candidates for the first true Dragon-type rep right now. I'd say Dragonite has a better since its more iconic for being the original Dragon-type, but with the recent hint, Dragonite can be scratched out for the next reveal. Salamence is an iconic and popular generation III Pokemon known for being one of Hoenn's pseudo-legendaries, and he also got a Mega in the most recent games. He would definitely have a very Dragon-esque moveset and perhaps take advantage of his diverse move pool as well.

Generation 4

Luxray - I'll admit this is more of a hopeful candidate for me, but Luxray is popular and has a relatively major role in the anime ( arguably Clemont's main Pokemon). He would basically be the Electric-type version of Arcanine or Entei where he would use very animalistic attacks, but instead of fire, he would use electricity.

Mamoswine - Another decent candidate for the first Ground-type rep. In addition to using lots of ice attacks, I can see many of its attacks involving ramming and quake-style moves similar to Donphan.

Generation 5

Galvantula - One of the first Generation 5 Pokemon revealed, with some solid popularity and support on its back along with the fact no Bug-types currently represented on the roster, I can't help but think Galvantula is one of the best candidates for the first Bug-type to be revealed next Thursday. It would make for a really unique fighter with its bug attacks combined with spider attacks and electricity (Electroweb anyone?).

Bisharp - I'll admit this is another hopeful candidate, but he's fairly popular, has a Steel-typing that isn't represented on the roster at the moment, and has unique potential with a dual-yielding moveset along with the possibility of an added Assist moveset where it could summon Pawniards to attack at will. Gallade is definitely his biggest competition due to a relatively similar design, similar moveset potential, higher popularity, and the fact Gallade has a Mega Evolution while Bisharp doesn't, but now that Gallade is ruled out with the hint, Bisharp could (not entirely) have a chance to make it in before Gallade.

Hydreigon - This is another candidate for the true Dragon type rep at the moment. Hydreigon would definitely attack as a true Dragon terror, attacking with ferocious bites and special-based attacks like Dragon Pulse, Dark Pulse, and Flamethrower (perhaps even executing these attacks three times at once thanks to its three heads). Dragonite and Salamence are competitors since they can be similar in moveset potential, but Hydreigon does have the advantage of being a Generation V Pokemon, so there's that.

Terrakion - Another strong candidate for the ramming kind of fighter, not to mention he could also use Rock-type attacks and a quake-style moveset. Some Pokemon already mentioned do serve as competition for similar moveset potential though.

Generation 6

Noivern - One of the first generation 6 Pokemon revealed, has solid popularity, and unique moveset potential with a sound-based moveset, I think Noivern has a decent shot for the first generation 6 Pokemon to become a full-fledged fighter at this point in light of the recent hint. It does have to compete with Exploud, Jigglypuff, and Wigglytuff with the sound-based moveset though, not to mention even Pokemon like Goodra or Hyreigon could serve as competition for the possibility of special-based Dragon-type moveset.

These are the Pokemon that I feel the most confident about in regards to who will be revealed on December 10. It's also possible that none of the Pokemon that I listed will be revealed on that day, but hey, I'm just speculating. What do you think are the strongest candidates for the December 10th reveal at this point?
I guess you could say the question I'm leaving at the very end is a new discussion starter. I'm curious to hear what others think are the most likely candidates for the next fighter reveal coming soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom