• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

pokemon trainer rule

TrevynThOt

Smash Apprentice
I thought about a rule like this for awhile, lets be honest all 3 character PT has are just plain different characters(and should be ranked on different parts of the tier list kinda like Zelda in melee there was no sheik character btw).

so with that i think there should be a rule where when you pick pokemon trainer and you have the option of calling out your character before the match begins and lets say you call charizard, now when you die instead of startin off with invincibility from the platform you just transform into charizard and waste your invincibilty on turning back into charizard you know? thats seems fair i think I mean i enjoy playing charizard but i don't enojy playing ivysaur so I am forced to learn character thats not to fun for me to play a character i really enojy. it's just a thought so please save your ******** flames

Yukiwarashi

Smash Champion
You told me to save my ******** flames, so I'm not going to flame you. However, that doesn't stop me from saying I find that to be a very stupid idea.

It's your decision whether you want to play as Charizard alone when picking Pokemon Trainer, but there is no reason to seperate the Pokemon on the tier list, especially with fatigue and stock loss coming into play. Playing with all three Pokemon effectively is what Pokemon Trainer is all about. I suppose, you could also use 2 of the 3 if you want but if he's a main I'd definitely go with mastering all 3.

Anyhow, I highly doubt this rule will have many fans.

forward

Smash Champion
seperate them on a tier list is wrong? how in melee there was no character on the selection screen called sheik yet she had her own tier list because it was another characters transformation, and there is no Zero suit samus character, the only difference in this situation is that when you die you auto transform into one of the pokemon and you have no control, which is totally fine but unfair to some people who enojy using one of the pokemon and don't enojy the others. and they all have there own move sets their own straighties their own ways to recover none of it is the same therefore they are each different, therefore should be ranked different right?

you say you highly doubt this rule won't have many fans.
well my response to that is enjoy watching pokemon trainer staying bottom tier cause with my straighty will obviously change him on the tier list and all those character won't be as low as he is now.

it's really just a thought i wanna here what others think of it

Yukiwarashi

Smash Champion
seperate them on a tier list is wrong? how in melee there was no character on the selection screen called sheik yet she had her own tier list because it was another characters transformation, and there is no Zero suit samus character, the only difference in this situation is that when you die you auto transform into one of the pokemon and you have no control, which is totally fine but unfair to some people who enojy using one of the pokemon and don't enojy the others. and they all have there own move sets their own straighties their own ways to recover none of it is the same therefore they are each different, therefore should be ranked different right?

you say you highly doubt this rule won't have many fans.
well my response to that is enjoy watching pokemon trainer staying bottom tier cause with my straighty will obviously change him on the tier list and all those character won't be as low as he is now.

it's really just a thought i wanna here what others think of it
What did Sheik have to lose by turning into Zelda though? You don't *have* to turn into Sheik. When you lose a stock, you are still Zelda. Same with Zero Suit Samus. You don't have to transform into them and you aren't punished for your decision.

The three Pokemon may have their own movesets, but you still have fatigue to worry about. You want to main Squirtle? Tough luck when after 2 minutes he's panting for breath and you can't seem to KO the opponent. There are similar problems with Ivysaur and Charizard. Fatigue really screws you over, and it's not like when you lose a stock you can just go run back to them, because they'll become tired even faster because they've had no time to rest.

You're right, they are three different characters. But why bother ranking them when after 2 minutes, their damage and knockback die, in addition to stale move reduction? I just can't see it working out. You can go wild and attempt to main a single Pokemon of the three, but I'm certain it'll be a bigger uphill battle than using the three in their respective roles.

Magus-Cie

Smash Journeyman
What did Sheik have to lose by turning into Zelda though? You don't *have* to turn into Sheik. When you lose a stock, you are still Zelda. Same with Zero Suit Samus. You don't have to transform into them and you aren't punished for your decision.

The three Pokemon may have their own movesets, but you still have fatigue to worry about. You want to main Squirtle? Tough luck when after 2 minutes he's panting for breath and you can't seem to KO the opponent. There are similar problems with Ivysaur and Charizard. Fatigue really screws you over, and it's not like when you lose a stock you can just go run back to them, because they'll become tired even faster because they've had no time to rest.

You're right, they are three different characters. But why bother ranking them when after 2 minutes, their damage and knockback die, in addition to stale move reduction? I just can't see it working out. You can go wild and attempt to main a single Pokemon of the three, but I'm certain it'll be a bigger uphill battle than using the three in their respective roles.

Pffft, what are you talking about? Everyone knows pro squirtle players can still win when their fair does 3% and has no knockback
/sarcasm

infernovia

Smash Ace
If this rule can come into effect, I want a rule that says I can pause in between transformation so that brawl can load up the character model.

Edit: Another thing, you can't transform when you have invincibility frames.

Retro Gaming

Black and White Thinking
it's not like when you lose a stock you can just go run back to them, because they'll become tired even faster because they've had no time to rest.
To be fair to both sides, this is actually possible. If a Pokemon is knocked out they are returned to full stamina. That's about as far as I'll go to support this side, however.

It is completely true that it will be more difficult than having mastery of all three Pokemon to play this way. The unique ability of the Pokemon Trainer is both his largest advantage and his disadvantage. It's the point of the character.

TheLake

Smash Master
Eh im not a big fan of the idea but I wont say its bad.

Do what you want, I like a challenge (;

imdavid

Smash Journeyman
if you don't know how to use all three then obviously you didn't train your pokemon well enough and you shouldn't be considered a pokemon trainer

/sarcasm

WITH

Smash Apprentice
If u dont wanna play all 3, find another character. That's the whole point in this unique character, its for people who enjoy playing many styles.

Charizard92

Smash Champion
If tournaments are going to use one or two stock matches, this can be practical. Any larger, and it turns into a stupid Idea. P. Trainer must use all three (or at least two) in order to reach his full Potential. All three Pokemon cannot be put individually on the Tier list, for more reasons than one.

TrevynThOt

Smash Apprentice
fatigue is the only thing that really makes sense, saying that you need to master all to be a true pokemon trainer player just sounds ridiculous(and pretty noobish)

but i seen some chillindude matches where he plays squirtle just fine for the 3 stocks he would use him with, saw no real flaw in his game so fatigue doesn't hurt that much unless your that bad were those kinds of thing matter to you to do decent.

seperating them all on the tier list doesn't sound wrong at all they are all different characters would you say squirtle is as equal in any match as ivysaur if your answer is no then obviously he's a higher tier if your answer is yes then your just an idiot thats just trying to be defiant, and thats fine cause your input means nothing. so yeah they can be ranked on different parts of the tierlist

Remember this is a forum where we discuss and debate things so don't look at this as a pointless thread that needs to be locked cause thinking like that only proves that every thread might as well be locked

PkTrainerCris

Smash Ace
I think there should be four places on the tier list, one for PT and other for each pokemon, that way every pokemon gets his own analisis and PT is trated as a character, because normally people main pokemon trainer, not one pokemon, and yes, it can have his sense, but only in one stock matches

NoobCake

Smash Apprentice
Wait...are people honestly arguing about whether or not each Pokemon deserves its own spot on the tier list? *facepalm*

Seriously, what.

Edit: For clarification, I mean that PT should be one tier-list position, since you are forced to change pokemon whenever you die, and maining a single pokemon is not such a good idea anyways.

Also the OP's idea is lame. Deal with the changing, everyone else can, why can't you?

Charoo

Smash Champion
wow trevyn stop copying my chars haha

fox, link, and now charizard? Falcon next?

Fearmy

Smash Ace
fatigue is the only thing that really makes sense, saying that you need to master all to be a true pokemon trainer player just sounds ridiculous(and pretty noobish)

but i seen some chillindude matches where he plays squirtle just fine for the 3 stocks he would use him with, saw no real flaw in his game so fatigue doesn't hurt that much unless your that bad were those kinds of thing matter to you to do decent.

seperating them all on the tier list doesn't sound wrong at all they are all different characters would you say squirtle is as equal in any match as ivysaur if your answer is no then obviously he's a higher tier if your answer is yes then your just an idiot thats just trying to be defiant, and thats fine cause your input means nothing. so yeah they can be ranked on different parts of the tierlist

Remember this is a forum where we discuss and debate things so don't look at this as a pointless thread that needs to be locked cause thinking like that only proves that every thread might as well be locked
pt is one character, just because you see a guy who does fine with squirtle 3 stocks means that the person is stupid, honestley it's like saying you can own with wolf without dying the same happened here, plus squirtle vs ivysaur, fatiuge plus squirtle being weak to grass and extremley light i think could die to ivysaur's U smash at 0%. they put in fatiuge so YOU DO SWITCH. the 3 pokemon are lovers, they can't become one without the other (if anyone says threesome i will kill them) seriously PT, that's why the pokemon don't even have their own trophy. The only reason why zelda and Sheik aren't ranked on the same is because you aren't forced to switch with fatiuge or when you die you don't automatically switch, PT is one Character, and if you don't think of it as one character then you arent going to do good, if you do master all 3 you can eaisly kick someone really hard, they need to start to adjust to a different play-style a lot,

Charoo

Smash Champion
What? Elaborate!
me and trevyn r from socal. He uses fox and link before an so do I. I also use falcon, charizard, and sheik too. Now he's using charizard too. So he's probably going to use falcon or sheik next.

Charizard92

Smash Champion
me and trevyn r from socal. He uses fox and link before an so do I. I also use falcon, charizard, and sheik too. Now he's using charizard too. So he's probably going to use falcon or sheik next.
Try the rest of P Trainer's team, that part is a bit easier.

PraKirJaq

Smash Journeyman
I honestly doubt Chillin's stupid.

Though I do support knowing all three, sometimes, it can be okay to use only one of the three for a match; there's no point in using a pokemon that is bad against said character when you have another that counters it.

Charoo

Smash Champion
Try the rest of P Trainer's team, that part is a bit easier.
i don't feel like getting into a long argument about this cause I argue this before but I'll just summarize.

I only use a char that is fun. Charizard is very fun for me and one of my fav. character. I don't like ivysaur defensive play or how squirtle play. I just go around doing well time rock smashes. So I just use charizard.

of course I know the pro and cons but I'm really in it for the fun of the game. So I only use charizard. u can level up all ur pokemon together but i prefer ****** the elite 4 with my level 100 charizard just like the old days.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
You don't need to master all 3 to be a Pokemon Trainer player. You need to master all 3 to be a POKEMON MASTER!

After all, everybody wants to be a master. Everybody wants to show their skill. Everybody wants to get there fa-

The only problem with maining Squirtle on his own (I'm going to humor you about fatigue) is that he's too incredibly light and his recovery is sub-par despite his excellent aerial game. It is possible that if Chillindude swapped to Charizard when his % began getting pretty high, he might've lasted longer and may even have been able to 2 or 3-stock his opponents instead of just "doing fine for 3 stocks"

Just because they have different movesets doesn't mean that they should be classified separately. Also, your logic is flawed. You're saying that if Ivysaur can be equal to Squirtle in terms of effectiveness in any match up, then we are simply trying to be defiant, yet we have an entire thread concerning these matchups. According to the thread, Ivysaur has many matchups in which he does just much better than Squirtle would against certain characters, and quite a few they perform equally good or bad. . Also, while I'm at it, just because Squirtle and Ivysaur perform differently in a given matchup does not automatically mean that Squirtle is better than Ivysaur, or vice versa. Now, while it IS true that theoretically depending on playstyles, Squirtle and Ivysaur may perform differently on many matchups, the characters are just too intertwined to be classified separately.

In b4 lok lol

I think there should be four places on the tier list, one for PT and other for each pokemon, that way every pokemon gets his own analisis and PT is trated as a character, because normally people main pokemon trainer, not one pokemon, and yes, it can have his sense, but only in one stock matches
Too much space. Much easier to just have one placement, as to main one pokemon is just begging punishment from a defensive player or one who stalls the match.
Seriously, no Pokemon should be on their own.
Lucario, Pikachu, and Jigglypuff say hi! :D
pt is one character, just because you see a guy who does fine with squirtle 3 stocks means that the person is stupid,
Or maybe they just like Squirtle and can use Squirtle well, and are trying to concentrate on their strengths in a serious tourneymatch rather than risking their weaker options. It doesn't necessarily mean the person is stupid rather than that they don't have confidence in their ability to play the other two, which is perfectly fine. They're just risking things a bit with the Fatigue system and will run into trouble if they fight an opponent who can stall well.

honestley it's like saying you can own with wolf without dying the same happened here,
Hey, if you can, that's just the sign of a great player depending on who you can beat without dying...
plus squirtle vs ivysaur, fatiuge plus squirtle being weak to grass and extremley light i think could die to ivysaur's U smash at 0%.
He wasn't talking about Squirtle vs. Ivysaur specifically, but rather how they perform in a given matchup. And an uncharged Ivy Usmash KO's Squirtle around ~38% or so if I remember right. Also, if you really want to get into the matchup, Squirtle's edgeguards could spell lots of trouble for our favorite quadrupedal flowerchild.

they put in fatiuge so YOU DO SWITCH. the 3 pokemon are lovers, they can't become one without the other (if anyone says threesome i will kill them) seriously PT, that's why the pokemon don't even have their own trophy.
ACTUALLY, they do! You have to beat Classic mode 3 times to get each trophy, which I really think was a stupid idea. D: Also, you really did walk into the threesome comment. You can't just go around talking about a love triangle without someone recommending a threesome. And you can do fine with maining just 2 of them most of the time.

The only reason why zelda and Sheik aren't ranked on the same is because you aren't forced to switch with fatiuge or when you die you don't automatically switch, PT is one Character, and if you don't think of it as one character then you arent going to do good,
Actually, thinking of PT as a single character is a hazardous thought process. If I start playing Ivysaur like I do Squirtle or Charizard, I'm not gonna last very long off the edge. ;-; The idea is to RECOGNIZE that the three are completely different and to UTILIZE those differences to turn the tables and behave DIFFERENTLY and appropriately when you switch.

if you do master all 3 you can eaisly kick someone really hard, they need to start to adjust to a different play-style a lot,
Actually, adjusting and adapting at high-end play really isn't too difficult and is really overestimated as a tactic. If I play my friend's sheik over and over again and learn to counter his every move, I'm not suddenly going to get 3-stocked because he tries DK. I'm just going to adapt to his DK and fight like normal. But yeah, it does have a slight effect at the beginning of the match.
i don't feel like getting into a long argument about this cause I argue this before but I'll just summarize.

I only use a char that is fun. Charizard is very fun for me and one of my fav. character. I don't like ivysaur defensive play or how squirtle play. I just go around doing well time rock smashes. So I just use charizard.

of course I know the pro and cons but I'm really in it for the fun of the game. So I only use charizard. u can level up all ur pokemon together but i prefer ****** the elite 4 with my level 100 charizard just like the old days.
That's a perfectly fine way to play. Personally, I love spamming Falcon Punch, but I'd never try it in a serious money match or tourney or something. Just don't expect to be winning any tourneys with that logic.

Criosphere

Smash Rookie
The pokemon should be ranked seperately on the tiers just for the sake of simplicity. Otherwise it would just be ranked poorly/innacurately.

deeds1

Smash Rookie
I thought about a rule like this for awhile, lets be honest all 3 character PT has are just plain different characters(and should be ranked on different parts of the tier list kinda like Zelda in melee there was no sheik character btw).

so with that i think there should be a rule where when you pick pokemon trainer and you have the option of calling out your character before the match begins and lets say you call charizard, now when you die instead of startin off with invincibility from the platform you just transform into charizard and waste your invincibilty on turning back into charizard you know? thats seems fair i think I mean i enjoy playing charizard but i don't enojy playing ivysaur so I am forced to learn character thats not to fun for me to play a character i really enojy. it's just a thought so please save your ******** flames
Uhh, if I were you're opponent I wouldn't let you switch twice without getting smacked around a bit.

PopeOfChiliTown

Smash Ace
Man, the whole "you HAVE to learn all three pokemon" crap is starting to sound like the anti-wavedash argument from melee.

You know, the "playing the way the developers intended" nonsense? People can play whichever way the want, and whether what they do maximizes their competitive potential is up to tournament placings to decide. All of you high on your presumptuous pedestals boosted by a false belief that the way you play is backed by sheer fact should shut the **** up.

I'll admit I have taken the time to learn all three characters, although I do wish Ivysaur was a separate character sometimes. Nevertheless, I realize many people do not enjoy it that way, and there's no reason to obligate them to.

PT will be a ***** to place on the tier list though. It will be hard to keep track of which of the three pokemon is used most by the people placing high in tourneys with PT, but ultimately that would be the most accurate way to go about it. Ranking PT as one character for now is fine, but in the long run, such a move reeks of lazy bookkeeping and obscene indifference.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
Man, the whole "you HAVE to learn all three pokemon" crap is starting to sound like the anti-wavedash argument from melee.

You know, the "playing the way the developers intended" nonsense? People can play whichever way the want, and whether what they do maximizes their competitive potential is up to tournament placings to decide. All of you high on your presumptuous pedestals boosted by a false belief that the way you play is backed by sheer fact should shut the **** up.

I'll admit I have taken the time to learn all three characters, although I do wish Ivysaur was a separate character sometimes. Nevertheless, I realize many people do not enjoy it that way, and there's no reason to obligate them to.

PT will be a ***** to place on the tier list though. It will be hard to keep track of which of the three pokemon is used most by the people placing high in tourneys with PT, but ultimately that would be the most accurate way to go about it. Ranking PT as one character for now is fine, but in the long run, such a move reeks of lazy bookkeeping and obscene indifference.
We're not saying that's how you MUST play, but rather how you should play if you want to win. If you don't really care about that, then why are you visiting this place in the first place? Granted, it's possible to play with only one or two, but it's somewhat ineffective compared to someone who's mastered all three and switches accordingly.

Retro Gaming

Black and White Thinking
I actually thought of a problem with this rule: what happens when two people attempt to "single" the PT? The person who isn't switching is going to probably have a fit considering his stamina is still diminishing as the other switches go on. How would you enforce placement of the characters? It seems like a huge hassle. :ohwell:

Intercept

Smash Journeyman
I think all 3 pokemon and PT as one character should be placed on the tier list.

On to the idea of sticking to one, and having to stick to one if you choose to in a tournament match is stupid. Any good defensive player would absolutely crush you.

PopeOfChiliTown

Smash Ace
We're not saying that's how you MUST play, but rather how you should play if you want to win. If you don't really care about that, then why are you visiting this place in the first place? Granted, it's possible to play with only one or two, but it's somewhat ineffective compared to someone who's mastered all three and switches accordingly.
First of all, I rarely see people claiming it's the way to win with PT. What's more common though, is "to be a 'real' trainer, you MUST use all three".

And again, you're being presumptuous. How do you know that is the way one should play if they want to win? It's unjustifiably overconfident yet misguided statements like that attempt to make premature impressions of the competitive worth of a character type completely new to the series into fact, and that is what bothers me.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
First of all, I rarely see people claiming it's the way to win with PT. What's more common though, is "to be a 'real' trainer, you MUST use all three".

And again, you're being presumptuous. How do you know that is the way one should play if they want to win? It's unjustifiably overconfident yet misguided statements like that attempt to make premature impressions of the competitive worth of a character type completely new to the series into fact, and that is what bothers me.
Well, in all honesty, I'm personally not completely sure that it's the way to win, but rather it seems like it so far, as the Pokemon normally cannot fight to the best of their ability alone, and by switching quickly and intelligently, you can continue the punishment if Squirtle becomes fatigued with Ivy but for some reason they're not high enough to kill, and most likely live longer percent wise by swapping to Charizard, who is really a great stock tank, and will maybe even set up for some gimp KO's at low percents if he lives long enough after the KO.

AND there's the whole concept of stalling for time while the stamina runs out...

Onxy

Smash Lord

But it is wise to learn all three - which everybody knows. So why am I posting this if everyone knows - or should know. I have no clue :laugh:

Ryazan

Smash Ace
All the Pokemon are separate characters and thus need seperate tier spots. You might as well put Sheik and Zelda together while you're at it. I'm not saying you shouldn't play all three. That would just be stupid. But the dumbest idea I've ever heard is putting all the Pokemon seperately and THEN putting PT alone. What is the point of that? No PT player uses only one Pokemon! Basically what I'm saying is that all PT players should use all Pokemon, but the Pokemon should be seperate on the tier list. It's just like how Sheik and Zelda are seperate, but people do much better if they play as both.

Stroupes

Smash Lord
That's when you learn to play as all the Pokemon, because there's something that each Pokemon can offer, not just Charizard.

Yukiwarashi

Smash Champion
All the Pokemon are separate characters and thus need seperate tier spots. You might as well put Sheik and Zelda together while you're at it. I'm not saying you shouldn't play all three. That would just be stupid. But they're not the same character. GROUP THEM SEPERATELY.
Because Zelda HAS to turn into Sheik, right?

Yes, they are three seperate characters. But what's the point in even ranking them if they're tied together by a forced concept known as switching? You can't use one for too long or their damage and knockback are shot. With that logic, they may as well be low tier for that alone.

Ryazan

Smash Ace
They're still pretty good when fatigued. The power reduction isn't that large. And yes, if you want to be a good Zelda or Sheik player, you have to switch. Mindgames, my friend. Get the opponent to adapt to your fighting style as one character, then switch to the other and psyche them out. This is the strategy of many good PTs. But I am arguing that seperate characters should be grouped seperately because they are entirely different from one another.

Top Bottom