• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokemon Trainer (Red!) Discussion

Fawriel

Smash Master
It would be so awesome if PT's real special gimmick ability turned out to be the ability to taunt and battle at the same time!

*Charizard uses his Flamethrower against a row of enemies*
PT, waving his arms in the background: "Ha-hah! How does THAT feel, you ****ers! Who's ya daddy! WHO'S YA DADDY!"

SonicMario

Smash Master
Too bad it would be the Pokemon taunting. If PT was taunting, people should use lame lines from Ash from the Anime. See how much THAT annoys your foe.

RoxasXIII

Smash Journeyman
geez, pt brings up a lotta problems. first of all, isn't weird that the pt throws out squirtle, but then squirtle can pick up and throw a pokball?! that defies the laws of nature! is there a neverending chain of pokemon throwing pokeballs!?!?!?!

if he loses during stock mode, i dont think he could throw his pokeball at whoever is out to return it, cuz what if they were knocked off the stage? i guess he could hold his pokeball out and have that red laser light animation at what ever direction the pokemon went. and that box thing at the bottom could show up and it would say something like "PKMN Trainer whited out!".
or they could do something from battle revolution where the trainer says some cheesy default line.
another thing, after he calls his pokemon back or whatever, the screen will fade black fro like, half a second and the trainer will be gone, like they do in the games when you white out.

also, the pt is the red from firered and leafgreen. different from the ones in the original red,blue, and yellow. also in yellow version, when professor oak asks for your name in the beginning, ash is a default name.

RoxasXIII

Smash Journeyman
i think i saw a vid where charizard grabbed somone, and he could jump around and glide with them! but i probably dreamt that. yeah, probably scratches and headbutts. his smash attacks probably make use of his tail like mewtwo did.

RoxasXIII

Smash Journeyman
I wonder what Charizard's A moves and throws will be like. Anyone have any ideas?
charizard's? what about ivysaur's? he's on all four of his limbs. and i'd imagine it must be hard to grab someone and pick them up like that.

:ohwell: doh! never mind. i'm an idiot. :urg:

vine whip

ShoTTa

Smash Cadet
Pokemon Trainer is going to be a very ******** character. He's going to ruin Brawl. I hope they have all 400-something (4?? whatever the number is) pokemon in all the pokeball items though.

bigman40

Smash Master
Pokemon Trainer is going to be a very ******** character. He's going to ruin Brawl. I hope they have all 400-something (4?? whatever the number is) pokemon in all the pokeball items though.
OOOkay. We ALL know that all 400 pokemon WON'T be in the pokeballs, and I think that most people like how PT has to be played (opens up many strats). Don't down the series because of a statement you can't back up, or because you don't like the character.

ShoTTa

Smash Cadet
explain why please
I guess ******** is kind of an overstatement. He's actually not that bad, it's just weird that he is in Smash bros. For instance, it's obvious that there may be pauses between switching pokemon which isn't fair to other characters, it's also obvious that changing can create massive stalling for levels such as Norfair, and what if you ARE off the map? Can you just press Down + B to switch out and automatically be back on the map? If so that would be straight up unfair. The pokemon Trainer himself does nothing back post up in the background. If Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard where to be added, they might as well be added as there own individual characters. Everyone is entitled to an opinion and that was mine.

ShoTTa

Smash Cadet
OOOkay. We ALL know that all 400 pokemon WON'T be in the pokeballs, and I think that most people like how PT has to be played (opens up many strats). Don't down the series because of a statement you can't back up, or because you don't like the character.
I'm not really downing the series although I did say "it's going to ruin brawl". The entire Smash Bros series has been my reason for gaming for a while now. Melee has always been my favorite game of all time. But I guess you're right, he does open up a lot of strategies, but truly, I dislike the idea of pokemon trainer's stalling. It's going to be cheap. I hope I'm wrong about how down + B will create massive stalling. If not, Pkmn Trainer just justifies how much of a cheap character he can be.

bigman40

Smash Master
Most likely that was going to be noticed. Remember that you could hit Zelda when she was transforming? It's most likely going to be the same thing, and the off the map thing. I doubt that the pokemon will pause in the air to switch out. They will gradually fall as they switch out. So I don't see it bad.

tirkaro

Smash Champion
I guess ******** is kind of an overstatement. He's actually not that bad, it's just weird that he is in Smash bros. For instance, it's obvious that there may be pauses between switching pokemon which isn't fair to other characters, it's also obvious that changing can create massive stalling for levels such as Norfair, and what if you ARE off the map? Can you just press Down + B to switch out and automatically be back on the map? If so that would be straight up unfair. The pokemon Trainer himself does nothing back post up in the background. If Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard where to be added, they might as well be added as there own individual characters. Everyone is entitled to an opinion and that was mine.
in case you haven't noticed, thats not at all how pkmn trainer (seems) to work. When he switches pokemon, he switches in real time. notice this screenshot:

see, that little cloud of light seems to be the remains of pokemon that got returned. Note how red throws the ball AT THE SAME TIME when it's returned, meaning that the change has very little to no invincibility frames (or pausing, whatever you meant) since the change is instant.

and its pretty darn obvious that red throws the ball to the exact same location where the last pokemon was. meaning the next pokemon wont retun back on stage. Thats pretty obvious game design logic.

ShoTTa

Smash Cadet
in case you haven't noticed, thats not at all how pkmn trainer (seems) to work. When he switches pokemon, he switches in real time. notice this screenshot:

see, that little cloud of light seems to be the remains of pokemon that got returned. Note how red throws the ball AT THE SAME TIME when it's returned, meaning that the change has very little to no invincibility frames (or pausing, whatever you meant) since the change is instant.

and its pretty darn obvious that red throws the ball to the exact same location where the last pokemon was. meaning the next pokemon wont retun back on stage. Thats pretty obvious game design logic.
Well, you're right about being switched in the same spot but there is still a definite pause which looks like it ranges from 1/2 a sec to 2 secs. And you said it your self that the changing is instant, meaning that anyone could just rapidly change to stall on hazardous maps as I said before, like on Norfair. BUT, if there are pauses between CHANGING and RETURNING pokemon such as, each time you press down+b you have to wait a minimum of 2 seconds to press down+b again, then I guess PKMN Trainer won't be as cheap as I thought. Well hey thanks for acknowledging my thoughts about this character :) . I wasn't really open minded to him. But hey I gotta say f u c k you for insinuating that I am stupid in your recent post.

sonic smash down

Smash Lord
true that it will have invincibility frames but think of bowser's down b which gives him a couple of frames himself and since the pokemon are in order and you can't really swich to the one you want out who says its cheap when you could be bringing out a pokemon thats going to die if you swich him out. Im also betting there is a time frame from which you can swich out the pokemon again so it doesnt count as cheap. Wonder how he's going to fit with the story??

::FalcoFTW::

Smash Apprentice
geez, pt brings up a lotta problems. first of all, isn't weird that the pt throws out squirtle, but then squirtle can pick up and throw a pokball?! that defies the laws of nature! is there a neverending chain of pokemon throwing pokeballs!?!?!?!

if he loses during stock mode, i dont think he could throw his pokeball at whoever is out to return it, cuz what if they were knocked off the stage? i guess he could hold his pokeball out and have that red laser light animation at what ever direction the pokemon went. and that box thing at the bottom could show up and it would say something like "PKMN Trainer whited out!".
or they could do something from battle revolution where the trainer says some cheesy default line.
another thing, after he calls his pokemon back or whatever, the screen will fade black fro like, half a second and the trainer will be gone, like they do in the games when you white out.

also, the pt is the red from firered and leafgreen. different from the ones in the original red,blue, and yellow. also in yellow version, when professor oak asks for your name in the beginning, ash is a default name.
If the pokemon looses on the last stock, it doesn't comeback like any other characater, Pokemon Trainer doesn't really need to return the pokemon to it's pokeball, seems like that'd be awkward. And I imagine when pokemon trainer looses all his stock, he'll take a defeated, kneeling down pose. Likely with his hand over his face and nods and then fade out like a Nana that lost Popo.

ripman3

Smash Journeyman
quick question,

Can we assume that ivysaur's B^ has the same effects on the ground to enemies above him as Zero Suit Samus's B^ does? Or do you think that it will do more of an actual whip attack?

Knyaguy

Smash Lord
quick question,

Can we assume that ivysaur's B^ has the same effects on the ground to enemies above him as Zero Suit Samus's B^ does? Or do you think that it will do more of an actual whip attack?
Maybe more of Zamus B> because ivysaur's regular B is like Zamus B^.

Pluvia's other account

Smash Master
I have been deciding, and Squirtle's B Move really needs to be Bubble(Beam). It could do damage, and would look really cool striking an opponent. And Water Gun wouldn't do any damage, just knockback, so it would basically be a F.L.U.D.D. clone.

So that's why I really want Bubble(Beam) instead of Water Gun.

PSIguy89

Smash Ace
NNID
PSIguy89
3DS FC
3222-5969-7044
i just call PT Red....thats pretty much who he is anyway......Sakurai must have his reasons for calling him "Pokemon Trainer"

PSIguy89

Smash Ace
NNID
PSIguy89
3DS FC
3222-5969-7044
The only reason i can find is that in all the games it was important that YOU named the trainer....most of them didn't have pre-set names, like in all the ones after red/blue/yellow (to my knowledge anyway)

wagnerelli

Smash Apprentice
sonic smash- It's pretty obvious that PT will not be able to switch out Pokemon in mid-air. They are likely to have to be on the ground when you switch. In the air, it's the Pokemon's job to get back on the stage.

Lawrencelot

Smash Lord
sonic smash- It's pretty obvious that PT will not be able to switch out Pokemon in mid-air. They are likely to have to be on the ground when you switch. In the air, it's the Pokemon's job to get back on the stage.
I pictured it it this way: you can switch out pokemon everywhere, both on the ground and in the air, but the new pokemon just appears on the same spot where the previous one was, whether it was in the air or not. So it might be good to use downB for recovery, but not if the move has some endlag.

Top Bottom