• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Pokemon Stadium - Mewtwo General Matchup Thread

ShadowLBlue

Smash Apprentice
I enjoy him more than Melee, but that could just be the nostalgia talking.
BTW, is it just me or does Mewtwo's teleport fall much slower than Palutena and Zelda's if it ends in air?

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
I enjoy him more than Melee, but that could just be the nostalgia talking.
BTW, is it just me or does Mewtwo's teleport fall much slower than Palutena and Zelda's if it ends in air?
Mewtwo falls really slowly in general. He's really floaty. That's probably why.

DrXenoPootis

Smash Cadet
NNID
DrXenoPootis
3DS FC
3969-6817-9705
Mewtwo may look slow, but start up aerial combos and he's just like a Ness but more stronger. Overall I think he's best against heavy characters (which is obvious) and characters that aren't as fast, but are unique. He has a lot of potential, maybe could even land a spot in A or B+ tiers.

micahclay

Smash Rookie
I think Mewtwo will struggle with aggressive characters (CF, Sonic, etc.) and campy characters the most

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
I got my shield broken playing against a Falcon, then got inverted-Falcon-Punched.

It's not a good MU for Mewtwo...
Maybe not "good", but not terrible either. Captain Falcon wants to rush in, break zones, start shenanigans. Between Shadow Ball, Disable, and decent range however, Mewtwo can make Falcon's usual tactics pretty difficult. Now once Falcon does land a hit and start juggling, yeah it's gonna be trouble for Mewtwo's large floaty self. Otherwise I'd say Mewtwo's capable of making Falcon really work for it.

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727
I think Mewtwo will struggle with aggressive characters (CF, Sonic, etc.) and campy characters the most
Fighting Villagers on FG got me angry. Until I figured out Confusion (especially against that darn bowling ball and slingshot) and air dodge/ledge cancel mind games works wonders against em.

Maybe not "good", but not terrible either. Captain Falcon wants to rush in, break zones, start shenanigans. Between Shadow Ball, Disable, and decent range however, Mewtwo can make Falcon's usual tactics pretty difficult. Now once Falcon does land a hit and start juggling, yeah it's gonna be trouble for Mewtwo's large floaty self. Otherwise I'd say Mewtwo's capable of making Falcon really work for it.
Definitely true, fought some good Falcons today, but a carefully planned fast fall NAir/DAir usually interrupts the juggling. As usual speedy characters are susceptible to Confusion and dash attacks. It's not that bad, as long as you're not too confrontational but instead more into keep away.

Last edited:

MoveMan1

Smash Journeyman
It should be noted that if you try to play reflector tennis with Mewtwo's shadow balls and confusion, Mewtwo wins every time thanks to lingering hitboxes. Saw a video earlier where he broke Palutena's reflect.

Sparky15

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Elec-Wolf
3DS FC
2578-3364-0347
It should be noted that if you try to play reflector tennis with Mewtwo's shadow balls and confusion, Mewtwo wins every time thanks to lingering hitboxes. Saw a video earlier where he broke Palutena's reflect.
In Mewtwo dittos on FG, I fired my fully charged Shadow Ball, then the opposing Mewtwo reflected it, then I reflected it back, and when the opposing Mewtwo tried to use Confusion again, it didn't work. It just passed right through it and KO'd him at 20%, and dealing 56%. Very odd... I don't know if this is a bug or not...

Sparky15

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Elec-Wolf
3DS FC
2578-3364-0347
I feel like Mewtwo has trouble with sword wielders, but not all of them. Mewtwo does have priority in his tail attacks, and the range to match their own. I have yet to fight passive aggresive characters like Captain Falcon and Sonic, but I feel optimistic.

Did anyone mention how horrific Mewtwo can wreck light characters? Particularly Jigglypuff and Kirby. All of Mewtwo's KO moves are so strong against them, ESPECIALLY up-throw and back-throw. He doesn't do that bad against heavyweights either. All of you long ranged attacks can clip them and n-air follow-ups are pretty easy to perform. Mr. Game & Watch and R.O.B. could possibly give Mewtwo a rough ride, I fear.

Sirgabite

Smash Cadet
currently from what i know/think/feel like

best matchup for mewtwo: ZSS (he has so many tools to shut down ZSS)
worst matchup for mewtwo: Fox (he seriously reks mewtwo and punishes mewtwo hard for his weight and size)

Last edited:

warionumbah2

Smash Master
My thoughts on MUs he potentially struggles with.
:4fox::4gaw::4metaknight::4falcon::4olimar::4greninja::4pikachu::4miibrawl::rosalina::4rob::4marth::4myfriends::4sheik::4shulk::4yoshi:

I dont think he struggles with sword users that much, but he definitely doesn't struggle with Lucina who's rewards in terms of damage is pitiful compared to Mewtwo. He plays footsies well against marcina but marth has the tippers and safer moves on block.

Fast characters or characters that causes Mew2 moves to whiff gives him trouble, MK can deal a 30% combo before Mew2 hits 40% which is incrediblly silly, G&W can go low enough to make Mew2s dash attack whiff him, Olimars pikman can stop a fully charged shadow ball, Rosalina walls him out hard dash attack is a good luma killer but Rosalina can punish.

Elixar

Smash Cadet
NNID
Zer0Requiem
Can we get some confirmation on Shadowball's reflection. When testing between a friend, we managed to reflect it somewhere between 4-6 times, but the timing absolutely becomes stricter, especially since confusion doesn't come out anywhere near as fast as other reflectors.
It's an excellent doubles combination though. Double reflected kills a decent majority of the cast at 50-75% and mewtwo dies at the edge @0%

Sparky15

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Elec-Wolf
3DS FC
2578-3364-0347
My thoughts on MUs he potentially struggles with.
:4fox::4gaw::4metaknight::4falcon::4olimar::4greninja::4pikachu::4miibrawl::rosalina::4rob::4marth::4myfriends::4sheik::4shulk::4yoshi:

I dont think he struggles with sword users that much, but he definitely doesn't struggle with Lucina who's rewards in terms of damage is pitiful compared to Mewtwo. He plays footsies well against marcina but marth has the tippers and safer moves on block.

Fast characters or characters that causes Mew2 moves to whiff gives him trouble, MK can deal a 30% combo before Mew2 hits 40% which is incrediblly silly, G&W can go low enough to make Mew2s dash attack whiff him, Olimars pikman can stop a fully charged shadow ball, Rosalina walls him out hard dash attack is a good luma killer but Rosalina can punish.
What about Mario, Luigi, and Peach? Mario has options for nearly every situation he's in and generally excels at everything, Luigi's combo, edge guard, and punish game are frightening against Mewtwo for his size and weight, and Peach is kind of annoying to fight because of her float and f-air. Those are also matchups Mewtwo could struggle with.

warionumbah2

Smash Master
What about Mario, Luigi, and Peach? Mario has options for nearly every situation he's in and generally excels at everything, Luigi's combo, edge guard, and punish game are frightening against Mewtwo for his size and weight, and Peach is kind of annoying to fight because of her float and f-air. Those are also matchups Mewtwo could struggle with.
Well im not gonna name every single character, in my post those are MUs i've played outside FD i don't like making stuff up like a theorycraft person. But then again this is day 1 Mew2 against people who's used those characters for months.

How does Luigi edgeguard Mew2?

Sparky15

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Elec-Wolf
3DS FC
2578-3364-0347
Well im not gonna name every single character, in my post those are MUs i've played outside FD i don't like making stuff up like a theorycraft person. But then again this is day 1 Mew2 against people who's used those characters for months.

How does Luigi edgeguard Mew2?
Err... good point lol. I'm just not that good with Teleport atm, to be frank. But if you're serious, then Luigi could just b-air or f-air juggle Mewtwo at lower percents. It's mainly how much damage Luigi can inflict on Mewtwo from combos and Mewtwo's weight to Luigi's powerful moves like f-smash, up-smash, back d-smash, back-throw, n-air, b-air, and Fire Jump Punch.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
:4diddy: will also still wreck him no worries.

Am thinking of :4mewtwo: as a bit of a light weight :4dk: with a projectile and good recovery.

Toph_87

Smash Apprentice
Day 1 Impression. Went on 4 Glory and played against a variety of characters. For the most part, I played well with Mewtwo, but every single encounter I had with a sword user was a struggle. Maybe I don't know the MU well, but I couldn't beat any FE character as Mewtwo. On a positive note, Mewtwo/Villager is a great team because Villager can pocket shadowballs and can also pocket disable allowing for interesting 2v1 situations in a team battle....

2m2m

Smash Rookie
NNID
2m2m_NoClown
i don't have him yet, but i was able to consistently beat him with marth once i got a down throw in. his footsies on point tho

Wolfen McGunz

Smash Cadet
Then maybe he should change his name.. I love this Mewtwo. No offense M2K :p
I don't give two ****s about M2K's opinion. I'm was fan of Mewtwo in Melee and am liking Mewtwo now, but he definitely takes some getting used to. Smash attacks are very powerful!

Sonsa

Smash Champion
It's pretty early, day 2, but it's already kinda clear that Mewtwo is a high-risk high-reward character. Crazy up-smash, a kill throw, a reflector/command grab, disable has always been awesome, spike, great projectile, but floaty, light, and tall. Somewhat of a...more consistent Rosalina? No need to worry about a Luma. And instead of absorbing projectiles like her he reflects them, which is: high-risk high-reward.

I think he's going to struggle with characters that have pretty safe tools that can slowly rack up damage like R.O.B. and Villager. He has tools to deal with this like his reflector, but both those characters have a reflector and pocket respectively. High-risk, high-reward. Really feel these MU's will be Mewtwo's most demanding.

Mewtwo should have a pretty easy time with characters that need to approach like DK, Falcon, and Sanic. Those characters don't have projectiles or responses to projectiles and are pretty much just melee, up-close fighters. Mewtwo should be careful, but with enough awareness should easily have enough control to win the match. Mewtwo just sorta has all the tools he needs there with much less risk.

speedguy20

Smash Cadet
NNID
speedguy20
Watch out for Robins. Mewtwo is tall and floaty, which already gives Robins an advantage pressure-wise. Once you get caught in a single Arcfire/Arcthunder, you can kiss your butt god bye as you will get combo'd (or Nosferatsu'd by the pros) into oblivion.
You can actually Side B Arc fire back at him, but only when it has no hitboxes. The timing is very precise but I think you could get it after a while.

Some good strings are
Dtilt->Utilt->Uair->Fair->(maybe) Dair
Disable->Smash attack
Confusion->Utilt/Dtilt
(Higher %) Dthrow->Nair->Dtilt

Match up wise I think we have a disadvantage against Sword characters, and an advantage against everyone else.

Last edited:

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
:4yoshi::4metaknight:

Are imo Mewtwo's worst matchups.

There are definitely more matchups he'll be bound to struggle in, but from what I've played him I think MK and Yoshi are gonna make life hardest for him in this game.

I would also put
:4sheik: as one of his worst.

But she's a bad MU for nearly every character.

Last edited:

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
I haven't even played Smash 4, but I know me some M2.

I'm hearing a lot of people concerned over swords, and this is nothing new for Mewtwo. Marth is one of the harder matchups in melee, although I don't think it's actually terribly in Marth's favor once you know what you have to do (6.5 Marth - 3.5 M2). You have to really respect the sword, and make sure that you don't just aimlessly run in. You have to play a very strong neutral game, poking with dtilts and in general bait Marth into the air. You can also bait with charging shadowball, as it forces them to come in or risk you being fully charged.

If M2 is actually faster and hits harder than melee though... things should be much better for him in Sm4sh. Not saying that he'd have the advantage against sword users, but it probably wouldn't be to bad. Just be sure to space like a champ.

Oreoc1

Smash Rookie
I personally feel mewtwo ranks up nicely against Villager and other characters that have projectiles. Once you get used to his reflect then you can almost time it perfectly every time. Also his reflect, since it works on characters, makes nice to get opponents off the ground. He also seems to have priority against some down sword attacks and up sword attacks as well. Will test some things later today about him though.

Toph_87

Smash Apprentice
Anybody else having trouble trying to connect with neutral air? I can't see to land it, but had no problem with it in Melee.

Johnny Clocks

Smash Rookie
While I don't have MT, I've ran a good few matchups against him with Link and Ness; Link seems to be relatively walled due to Mewtwo's attack patterns, while Ness has been borderline wrecking him on speed and the challenge of other players adapting to a Ness moveset.

ForteX

Smash Journeyman
Because of how long the reflection on sideB lasts, Mewtwo has options to stop MegaMan's approach. I can't say he's a hard matchup for MegaMan, but he can make it hard to close out a stock, just the limited experience I've had so far.

Perris6

Smash Journeyman
I think we should consider talking about the Captain Falcon match up, he is just too much to handle for Mewtwo. He speed overwhelms us and he has great power on top of that. Being that Mewtwo is VERY light and a VERY BIG target, makes this matchup almost unwinnable

David Galanos

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Apost1e
I feel like Greninja will be a bit hard for Mewtwo, but can't say for sure.

I can see luigi opening mewtwo up lol

Toph_87

Smash Apprentice
I think we should consider talking about the Captain Falcon match up, he is just too much to handle for Mewtwo. He speed overwhelms us and he has great power on top of that. Being that Mewtwo is VERY light and a VERY BIG target, makes this matchup almost unwinnable
On BF, you can side-b Falcon and he will go through the platform allowing for follow up. Doesn't work on every character though. Looks like a good counterpick stage when facing a falcon.

DrRiceBoy

Smash Lord
NNID
ricesenpai
3DS FC
4699-6411-5910
Jigglypuff is a really good matchup for Mewtwo IMO. Mewtwo can just space her out with his disjoints and u-throw kills at ~100% with rage. Can probably kill even lower.

godogod

Smash Ace
Comparing some stats to the 5 other pokemon. Rating from 1-6. 1 being the best(first in the category), and 6 being the worst(last) out of all the pokemon.

Power 2
Air Speed 2
Attack Speed 5
Dash Speed 4
Weight 5
Grab 1
Projectiles 1
Recovery 1
Roll 2

Attack Priority ?
Air game 2
Ground game

Power - Only second to charizard in power. His smash attacks come out faster than Lucario's.
Air Speed - He's easy to control in the air. 2nd after Jigglypuff.
Attack Speed - Faster than Charizard. Possibly tied with lucario for overall attack speed.
Dash Speed - Slower than Greninja, Pikachu, Charizard, but faster than Lucario and Jiggly.
Weight - Only heavier than Jigglypuff
Grab - Doesn't have the largest grab frames, but he has the highest knockback and it can hit multiple enemies.
Priority - how much of his moves take priority, with disjointed hitboxes taken into account.
Projectiels - how many projectiles and their power. Mewtwo has two. Disable and Psychic.
Roll - Lucario's rolls are significantly faster and cover near the same diatance
Recovery - Arguably the best out of the pokemon bunch. While Jiggly has multiple jmps.. He has a lot of recovery options, and his floatiness only helps. Two good double jumps, teleport, confusion, and shadowball as a last resort.

Top Bottom