• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokemon rpg with grid based combat set in koei's feudal Japan (Pokémon + Nobunaga)

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
If it sounds awesome, that's because it is.

http://www.pokemon.co.jp/ex/ranse/

While information on the game is currently scarce, it is known that it will be a crossover between Pokémon and Nobunaga's Ambition. The game is set to be released in 2012.
Screenshots have been posted on Twitter, which show that some sort of partnership between human and Pokémon is present, very much like the main series of games. Like in previous games, there is a choice between male and female protagonists. Pokémon from all five generations have been shown so far.

Nobunaga's Ambition is a game series that started in 1983, with the latest game being released in 2009. They are turn-based strategy games in which the player attempts to conquer Japan.
~Bulbapedia

About time they went and did something new with Pokemon.

EDIT: Oh yeah, it's also gonna be on the DS :D

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
So it will only be released in Japan?

I'm guessing it'll be released on the 3DS, not the regular one.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Odd move. The game is just announced while the system is on its deathbed.

Oh well, it's not like I can't play it on my 3DS.

Spire

III
BRoomer
This is the coolest thing to ever happen to Pokémon. I've longed for a Pokémon game set in an older time period. This is just so, so awesome.

I'm really hoping it makes it to other shores because I want this to change the way we see the series. I am very interested in seeing where this goes.

Thanks for the news Mic!

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Honestly, even if this doesn't make it to the US, the original DS isn't region-locked...I'll import it and find a translation FAQ or something, or just charge headlong into it. This is too cool of an idea.

Overload

Smash Lord
Buying this regardless of whether or not it sees a North American release, but come on... it's freaking Pokemon. Of course we're getting it. This is the first Pokemon game that isn't part of the main series that I'm even considering playing. Here's hoping for wifi functionality. Maybe tournaments will start popping up for this too.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Pokémon have become contemporary mythological creatures in Japan. Makes sense to transpose them into a more fitting era of history.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Buying this regardless of whether or not it sees a North American release, but come on... it's freaking Pokemon. Of course we're getting it.
The thing that makes me worry that it won't come to North America is the fact that it's a crossover between Pokémon and a series that has mostly been released in Japan, although they could take the Melee route and include it anyway (Fire Emblem wasn't released in the US when Roy and Marth were put in Melee) and have the series gain more attention over here. There have also been a few (very few, granted, but a few) Pokémon titles that didn't make it outside of Japan, so you never know. Companies decide not to release games outside of Japan far too often.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
The thing that makes me worry that it won't come to North America is the fact that it's a crossover between Pokémon and a series that has mostly been released in Japan, although they could take the Melee route and include it anyway (Fire Emblem wasn't released in the US when Roy and Marth were put in Melee) and have the series gain more attention over here. There have also been a few (very few, granted, but a few) Pokémon titles that didn't make it outside of Japan, so you never know. Companies decide not to release games outside of Japan far too often.
I hope they do, too. This game deserves outside relationships due to it being the first Cross-Over for Pokemon (SSB doesn't count, because it's a game that's made of 100% cross over.)

If you ask me, if they do sell it outside of Japan, they'll gain what we all strive for: Money. Obviously, alot of non-japanese folks will want this game. Therefore, selling it outside of Japan will raise the sales, and bring about the money.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Jigglypuff is a playable character what is this I don't even.

My body was not ready for this.
Jigglypuff for SSB4! (had too)

On topic:

We now get to do something we always wanted to do as kids in the first pokemon games.. Take over the world country!

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
The thing that makes me worry that it won't come to North America is the fact that it's a crossover between Pokémon and a series that has mostly been released in Japan
Wasn't the Mystery Dungeon series never released outside of Japan before the Pokemon versions?

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Wasn't the Mystery Dungeon series never released outside of Japan before the Pokemon versions?
A couple of them made it here, but yeah, for the most part.

I would imagine they'll make it here, I'm just being cautious, because some awesome games get kept in Japan for seemingly no reason. (See: Ace Attorney Investigations 2)

Wave-Guiding Hero

Smash Apprentice
Oh my god if Lucario is playable somehow this will be the only video game I will play for the rest of my life.

Even of he isn't I'm going to buy this. I don't even know the series they're crossing over with (LOL).

:phone:

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
A couple of them made it here, but yeah, for the most part.

I would imagine they'll make it here, I'm just being cautious, because some awesome games get kept in Japan for seemingly no reason. (See: Ace Attorney Investigations 2)
Pretty sure that's just capcom jerking around their fans, ie megaman

Ronike

Smash Ace
Am I the only one wondering how Mewtwo even ended up in Feudal Japan, seeing as how he was, y'know, created by modern science and what not?

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Am I the only one wondering how Mewtwo even ended up in Feudal Japan, seeing as how he was, y'know, created by modern science and what not?
You probably are, because this is Pokémon and therefore logic isn't to be too heavily applied.

But if you're really looking for an answer, there's always Celebi's time-traveling skills. Maybe they'll give us an explanation in the game.

Wave-Guiding Hero

Smash Apprentice
He was in Mystery Dungeon too, where it was also sorta impossible for him to exist. Same with Porygon.

This is clearly an unacceptable contradiction of the game's canon. :troll:

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
PMD clearly exists in a world of modern humans. Those mons existed long before PMD series happened.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
Oh sure Nintendo, just ignore how much I've petitioned for Pokemon x Romance of the Three Kingdoms, stomp on all my dreams why dont you.

/wrists

In other news, I will buy this, and tourneyfag it up. Main Metagross, acquire currency

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
Oh why the **** do they have to release this game AFTER I decided to not play video games anymore?

I may just have to make an exception if it ends up in the US.

Also to anyone saying anything about Mewtwo, we're talking about a series where there's a time-traveling Pokemon and a group of people who have proven that they can mess with a Pokemon's DNA to end up with their own results. Pokemon can pretty much get as ****ed up as Nintendo wants in terms of place and time and everything would still fit into canon somehow.

Spire

III
BRoomer
I knew these characters looked familiar! Everyone I've shown this game to is hyped. This is pretty awesome and hell, it better make it over here.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
I hope they release it here... If they want money, they will Lol
(At least we don't have to worry like this about Sm4sh O.O')

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
I honestly don't understand why people are so into this.

What am I missing.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I honestly don't understand why people are so into this.

What am I missing.
Just a matter of opinion. Personally I enjoy games of this style, and the idea of having Pokémon to use in such a setting seems awesome to me. If you don't like this style of game and you don't really think it would be that much more interesting with Pokémon in it, then that's probably why you don't really care.

It's the same reason half the world jumps up and down over Call of Duty and I'd rather shoot myself than play any of them. Different things appeal to different people.

Top Bottom