• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokemon puzzle league!!!!

sanchaz

Smash Lord
Hey those pokeomon puzzle league players, if you guys still exist!

This will be be the discussion place where we discuss one of our favorite old school games, aka, ppl.

Some of you may remember this game being very similar to tetris attack for the snes, such as I, only to discover that there has been a remake made the n64.

Let's unite and discuss strats on how to break crazy scores like 60k!!!

Post videos, who's your favorite to use in the game like electron with pokemon trainer Lt. Surge, or is it magmar with Blaine, "when your hot, your hot"

This was one of favorite games of all time, and still is top 5 in my list.

azen gameplay:

http://www.youtube.com/user/AzenZagenite#p/u/0/2YpAGMu0pmQ

Me and metroid beat this score, and it was pretty funny, I think it's recorded on my copy on ppl, and what's even funnier is that I still lost, WTF, lol.

Does anyone know the OFFICIAL single and vs player world records?

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
You've broken 60k? I've seen a 72k before, but the best I've ever done was 48.

sanchaz

Smash Lord
You've broken 60k? I've seen a 72k before, but the best I've ever done was 48.
lol, almost, I wish I had just a half a second as I had a 12 plus chain, good times.

72k just sounds so godlike, wow, he must of been lucky as well. lol, but, getting 72k must also require a riduculous amount of of skill

metroid1117

Smash Master
PPL is my favorite puzzle game of all time; it's a perfect blend of pattern recognition and technical skill. I wish I still had my N64 copy, the only way I can play now is via my emulator.

I've broken 60k before but don't have it recorded... but I have a video of me getting 56k: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1D6s4LM-OOI

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I thought everyone knew by now that Azen is just really good at video games in general.

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
He's a big puzzle game fan in particular. Extremely good at all of them, as far as I know. Meteos and tetris attack in particular.

on topic: i like tetris attack,but i'm awful at it. plain tetris is more up my alley

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
This game is still amazing.

And it's a clone of Tetris Attack, so of course Azen would be good at it.

Meteos is amazing too.

sanchaz

Smash Lord
does anyone know if there are ANY differences between tetris attack and ppl? lag, different physics?

and yes azen is a tool assisted monster, :D

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
PPL doesn't suffer the frame slowdown that TA does on a real SNES, and has subtle differences in physics that don't really come into play unless you start doing super multi chains on the level of Tsumori, or play VS mode much. Its 1P TT mode also defaults at five colors, rather than the six seen in TA's 1P TT mode. As far as scoring goes, it continues scoring and counting past x13 chains, as opposed to TA giving 0 points for chains of greater than x13. Combos give slightly more points in PPL than they did in TA.

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
PPL doesn't suffer the frame slowdown that TA does on a real SNES, and has subtle differences in physics that don't really come into play unless you start doing super multi chains on the level of Tsumori, or play VS mode much. Its 1P TT mode also defaults at five colors, rather than the six seen in TA's 1P TT mode. As far as scoring goes, it continues scoring and counting past x13 chains, as opposed to TA giving 0 points for chains of greater than x13. Combos give slightly more points in PPL than they did in TA.
I've seen frame slowdown in PPL, though there are two possible conditions for it:
1. In a 2-player game, both players clear garbage blocks at the same time.
2. Play 3D mode.

But the basic gameplay is the same, which is what I was getting at.

sanchaz

Smash Lord
almost broke 60 k today but I keep dropping my last combo. soooooooooo frustrating

Quaz

Smash Master
I love Puzzle league, but I can't seem to improve my scores on it anymore. I can barely average 8K as it is =(. I think it has to do with how I look at patterns, and have too much of a habit of looking at one specific pattern and can't seem to shake myself out of that one to look for others.

joeplicate

Smash Master
amazing game

i used to play it a lot back in the day, got up to like 45k high score on easy time mode
it always bugged me that i could never play on medium/hard difficulties though

my buddy nick aka shriek, semi-famous warcraft 3 player, is really ****ing good at this/tetris attack

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
I've only seen screenshots of the game, and it just looked like tetris. I couldn't see what it had to do with pokemon.

:phone:

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I've only seen screenshots of the game, and it just looked like tetris. I couldn't see what it had to do with pokemon.

:phone:
It has plot points taken from the show/movies, and you play as Pokémon trainers and use Pokémon for each "battle" (even though the Pokémon you choose is fairly irrelevant).

The gameplay is pretty much identical to Tetris Attack, yeah. I don't really see why the gameplay would have much to do with Pokémon, though, as spin-off titles usually don't have terribly much to do with the original concept.

dookdigity

Smash Journeyman
Hell yes I am glad this topic exists! I still play this game. Been working a lot lately so I haven't had much time to play. I am mediocre at best. Anyone going to Apex? I am bringing a 64 with a copy of Pokemon Puzzle League.

PS: Sight, do you want to play IRL? Erad also lives in Vegas and is good at this game. Do you live near UNLV?

In my opinion Pokemon Puzzle League has the best controller and gameplay. My personal favorite to play is Panel de Pon for the Japanese Gamecube. It has the best artwork and music. Plus 4 players is always awesome!

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
I love this game, but I still can't beat Very Hard Mewtwo. What do?

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
@ W Wschl

I know we don't get a whole lot of thread traffic so it can be hard to tell, but please check the last post date before you make a post like that responding to somebody.

Wschl

Smash Apprentice
wanted to revive the thread anyway, since i play this game on a daily basis and just wondered why ppl (people, not pokemon puzzle league lol) would play on level 5. Theres no other PPL Thread anyway, is there?

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
wanted to revive the thread anyway, since i play this game on a daily basis and just wondered why ppl (people, not pokemon puzzle league lol) would play on level 5. Theres no other PPL Thread anyway, is there?
There are no other threads, but if the past thread is this old you can just make a new one. (Though now that you've bumped it, just stick with this one.) And if you are going to bump the old thread, it's generally better to have a post of more substance to do so.

Top Bottom