• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokémon - The 5th Generation

freetyme

Smash Cadet
I just wish HM's were not mandatory! Perhaps they could really just be machines, or tools, you get as your progress through the game. Then moves like Surf, Rock Climb etc would just turn into TM attacks while there would be Surf, Cut, Rock Climb etc tools. That way you don't take up your precious move slots.

I agree with the OP on many points. A overhaul would be nice. Personally though I don't know if I'm ready for new Pokemon. 493 is hard enough to keep track off. Maybe they could just make a game where you can travel to all four regions. Maybe you have to leave your old Pokemon at each region until you beat all 16 gym leaders. In other words you start over each region, until you beat the game, to ensure you won't need to battle a level 90 wild pokemon once you get to the fourth region. They could make some stupid rule to make it work.

Ilex

Smash Ace
Spire III said:
Also, I would like to see in the 5th Gen, the starter families of the last four generations become wild Pokemon. Not only would it liven up the wild encounters, but it would put an end to the all-mighty enigma, "where exactly DO these Pokemon actually come from?" The professors have them, and various trainers do, so why can they not be found anywhere?
I like this idea. Of course, I wouldn't want them to be found on regular routes, but rather in hidden places you have to discover, like the place where Smeargle was found in Gold/Silver.

Also, moar fire types!

Silverline

Smash Apprentice
I know I haven't really been following up on the thread (Nor do I want to go through 10+ pages of discussion to add in my own thoughts.) but I've got a correction and a statement of my own to add to the thread.

First, the correction. I made a mistake in my original post on how 4th gen hadn't added anything to the core gameplay like the previous ones had. Really, I forgot to count the Physical/Special Attack split, which gave some Pokemon a huge boost (Such as Medicham getting a Physical Psychic attack in Psycho Cut.) while it killed others (Bannet's lost of a Strong Ghost STAB).

Now, the statement. One thing I think needs to be done is that several Pokemon need their stats changed. Since G/S/C where we had the Special split, stats have remained static. All of them have retained the same overall stat point total since that time. Now, while I'm not say to completely change them, but I do think that it would make more Pokemon readily available to some. For example, a speed increase might just be what the doctor ordered for Machamp.

Also, PLEASE, PLEASE, redo the type weaknesses. I want Golem to not die to a single water gun from something 5 levels lower then him.

Spire

III
BRoomer
What if, once you release your Pokemon from the PC, you may actually have a [very small] chance of encountering it again in the wild? Furthermore, what if trainers were given a "brain" and were able to travel around, catching other Pokemon, training them, releasing them, and even battling one another. Essentially, they could catch a Pokemon that you release. And even further than that - what if you released a really high level Pokemon and it went on to become a "Legendary Charizard". Nothing so special about it other than the fact that it's so much more powerful than most other Pokemon. The game could record what Pokemon you release, and if enough trainers end up battling this Charizard of yours in the wild and lose to it, then you might see on TV a news report on a "Legendary Charizard" last seen on so-and-so Route.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
What if, once you release your Pokemon from the PC, you may actually have a [very small] chance of encountering it again in the wild? Furthermore, what if trainers were given a "brain" and were able to travel around, catching other Pokemon, training them, releasing them, and even battling one another. Essentially, they could catch a Pokemon that you release. And even further than that - what if you released a really high level Pokemon and it went on to become a "Legendary Charizard". Nothing so special about it other than the fact that it's so much more powerful than most other Pokemon. The game could record what Pokemon you release, and if enough trainers end up battling this Charizard of yours in the wild and lose to it, then you might see on TV a news report on a "Legendary Charizard" last seen on so-and-so Route.
That would be completely epic. Not only would that add a great extra to things, but that'd be so awesome. I'd probably never release any Pokemon powerful enough to go on to be that, but...that'd be great. And trainers battling one another, getting experience, etc. would be awesome. Maybe you could even run into a battle, like in the beginning of Gold/Silver/Crystal, only it wouldn't block your path. It'd be really cool if, when you run into two trainers battling, you can press 'A' while facing either trainer and it could go into the battle, and you could see what's happening. There could be a button to press to exit the screen.

Perhaps it could even be like G/S/C, and with the phone calls they can tell you, perhaps, that they encountered some really powerful Charizard, which you'd know would be the "Legendary Charizard". And if they catch different Pokemon, they could do phone calls again and instead of hearing "I almost caught this really tough Caterpie the other day. Man, it was sooooo close, too!" every time, they might tell you that they caught another Pokemon so as to let you know to come battle them. And since they'd be moving around, registering phone numbers could be more. If you register a trainer's phone number, perhaps you could see their location at any time or call them, and there could be options like "Request a battle" or "Ask about location".
Another idea is, with them able to catch other Pokemon, perhaps they could give away their old ones. If they fill up their party, they have to do something with the old ones, right? A trade would be more logical, but it keeps the amount of Pokemon owned the same, so they'd have to give one away to you.

Maybe they could enhance the record exchanging, and not only Secret Bases could come back, but perhaps if you mix records, a Pokemon the person you mixed records with released could be encountered on your game. Then again, that could possibly end up as a cheap way to clone a Pokemon, even with a rare chance. But perhaps mixing records would simply transfer the Pokemon over to the other game instead of duplicating the data?

In any case, those are some great ideas, Spire.

zrky

Smash Lol'd
I've been thinking of new concepts for Pokemon, ever since the werewolf idea popped up in the shop. Castform had an awesome concept, but unfortunately, there are only a few Pokemon who are special like so, and are singled out immensely. I always instinctively separate Pokemon into the following categories: starter families, special-concept Pokemon, (like Castform), legendaries, and everyone else is filler. Seriously, we need more of these "special" Pokemon, who have certain powers unique only to them that yield dramatic effects. Perhaps some slime-like Pokemon (perhaps a new ability for Grimer and Muk) that if used too often in a hot environment, its skin bakes and cracks, lowering its health, but raising its defense. If you used it in a cold environment, then its skin would freeze, and while its defense would rise, its speed would fall.

Branching off of the Grimer and Muk concept, perhaps they should totally revitalize Pokemon so certain special transformations or alterations could ensue given the circumstances. Recently, I was watching the History Channel on the history of swarms and plagues, and they spoke a lot about locusts. Ninjask is the only Pokemon to shed, with Shedinja being a "special" Pokemon. However, on this TV show, they mentioned that with certain types of locusts, if they live within close-quarters of many, many other locusts of the same type, they suddenly transform completely from a dull-brown/gray locust to a yellow and black patterned locust. It's really strange. So, perhaps a Pokemon like I dunno... Beedrill, if it fights too many other of its kind (this suggests that Beedrill can be found in the wild) in a relatively consecutive order, that perhaps it would change (not evolve) into an alternate Beedrill form, just as we've seen several Pokemon change forms before (well actually, it's "forme" with an e). These "formes" are catching on in the Pokemon world, and it seems as if the developers are taking interest in this concept. I think it should definitely be implemented much more to new and old Pokemon in the next generation, bringing a new life to Pokemon we've grown to love.
YAY, someone else watches History Channel:)

Well anyway, that is IMO, a much better idea than the type change thing on the OP. and also if you dont want to keep your pokemon that way, then just take it to the pokecenter.
Great idea

I have actully thought of the same thing so many times! The "legendary" thing sounds great. I really think someone should send these ideas to nintendo, maybe theyll put some in:)

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
But then, nobody would want to release it because it was a really powerful pokemon. Maybe if you release it and re-capture it, it would have leveled up a few times and would have gotten bonus stat increases.

Like, another way of EV training.

Spire

III
BRoomer
But then, nobody would want to release it because it was a really powerful pokemon. Maybe if you release it and re-capture it, it would have leveled up a few times and would have gotten bonus stat increases.

Like, another way of EV training.
Yeah, exactly. I implied that, but I suppose I forgot to write it (I promise it was in my head while writing that paragraph). Not only can the Pokemon level up, but it can also gather items, or in some rare cases, team up with other Pokemon. Which brings up two points:

One, I think you should be able to attach more than one item to a Pokemon, maybe up to three - but there should still be limitations. For instance, you should only be able to equip one plate, but you can equip up to three berries. This would yield much more strategy in preparation for battle and would make battling your friends even more worthwhile.

Two, you should be able to battle Pokemon in groups now. No longer will you always battle wild Pokemon as singles, but sometimes as doubles, and on rare occasions, as triples. The game would read how many Pokemon you have in your party (either conscious or KO'd) and determine the odds for multiple Pokemon battles from that. The more you have in your party, the higher a chance you'll have against multiple Pokemon (the level of your Pokemon should also contribute to these odds). Pokemon will not necessarily group with just any other Pokemon, but rather with relative Pokemon, such as an Oddish with a Bellsprout, not an Oddish with a Slugma.

Lady McSnugglemuch

Smash Rookie
i herd that japan has a pokeman amuthist cumin out that has mor new dudes in it plus pikachu of course so good ill be ble to watch the bouncing tale lol ny1 else here bout dat?

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
i herd that japan has a pokeman amuthist cumin out that has mor new dudes in it plus pikachu of course so good ill be ble to watch the bouncing tale lol ny1 else here bout dat?
Look, I don't know where the hell you came from, but STOP spamming up threads with this unreadable crap. This is a respectable thread for respectable discussion, if you want to spam go elsewhere. I've seen a few of your other posts, and quite frankly I'm not impressed.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Look, I don't know where the hell you came from, but STOP spamming up threads with this unreadable crap. This is a respectable thread for respectable discussion, if you want to spam go elsewhere. I've seen a few of your other posts, and quite frankly I'm not impressed.
The person's a troll. Don't make him/her a successful one by paying attention.

Yaya

Smash Champion
I'm Pretty sure the 5 people trolling are the same guy.

Please do not make an attack on out forums as we prefer it peaceful here.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
The person's a troll. Don't make him/her a successful one by paying attention.
That's why I ignored their thread. But I won't tolerate an attack on this thread.

I'm Pretty sure the 5 people trolling are the same guy.

Please do not make an attack on out forums as we prefer it peaceful here.
Yeah, I can't tell for sure whether it's the same moron somehow owning 3 accounts or if it's three friends trolling together. Probably the same person though. And no doubt, some 10 year-old who thought it would be funny to spam the Pokemon forums because they think Pokemon is stupid.

Spire

III
BRoomer
There has been an excessive amount of trolling and spamming today. I wouldn't be surprised if it's all jakeadactyl.

Silverline

Smash Apprentice
Why do I get the feeling if the system was implemented that you can grab someone else's released Pokemon it would be like the Pal Park? I don't know why I get that feeling, but it does bode about me.

As for the whole slightly different color ideas for pokemon, I say if they did it with Shellos, and they Did it (To an extent) With Spinda, there is no reason why they can't do it with all the pokemon. And it would also inspire them to make pokemon whose color scheme is DRASTICLY different from their original colors (BLACK PERSIAN PLEASE!)

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
SPAM= Stupid, pointless, annoying messages. Acronyms :p

Why not just stop them in the first place? I saw there thread right when the opened it, I went in and reported then left. I really dont want them wrecking the whole pokecenter with thier spam. Just report them....

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
No doubt that that thread is still open and the people aren't banned.

Seriously, is the Poke Center immune from moderation?

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
No doubt that that thread is still open and the people aren't banned.

Seriously, is the Poke Center immune from moderation?
It seems the mods aren't very active all that often. Last time I checked, Hero of Time hadn't been on since April 1st.

Also, after hearing discussion about a black Persian I did one just to see how it looks. It does look pretty awesome.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Hero of Time hasn't been on since April 1st and I'm pretty sure Chill is to busy doing other stuff (this means BRooming) than to pay attention here.

I nominate Spire III as the new mod for the Poke Center!

Silverline

Smash Apprentice
It seems the mods aren't very active all that often. Last time I checked, Hero of Time hadn't been on since April 1st.

Also, after hearing discussion about a black Persian I did one just to see how it looks. It does look pretty awesome.

MINE!

*Huggles the Black Persian* THANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOU!

Alright, now that I'm done going bonkers, Sounds like we do need a new Mod if both of the current ones are too busy to actually do anything here.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
MINE!

*Huggles the Black Persian* THANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOU!

Alright, now that I'm done going bonkers, Sounds like we do need a new Mod if both of the current ones are too busy to actually do anything here.
Haha, no problem. Glad you like it.

But yeah, we definitely need a new mod.

Overload

Smash Lord
I really like the idea of combining types like that drakizard. I would like to see less crappy pokemon in the next game. I want it to be great like first gen

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
We should probably give the heads up to one of the mods that are almost always about, Like Youko and Samurai Panda.
Yeah, definitely. I doubt the matter will be brought to their attention otherwise.
I could PM someone about it if you guys want me to do it.

Also, while playing through Pearl, I realized a few things that definitely should change in 5th gen.

First of all, weather. In snowy areas, an automatic snow that goes away in other routes is a little different. But it's just stupid for it to be "You entered Route X! It started raining! You exited Route X! It stopped raining!" It should at least slowly fade in and out if they're going to do that. It shouldn't go from really rough rain to...nothing, in 5 seconds flat.

Also, (and this is really stupid) the trainers that hang around in pairs should always fight you. Since, while I'm playing through Pearl, I want to use only Shaymin, I only have Shaymin with me. But the two trainers, when I walk in front of them do...nothing. I talk to them and they say act like it's physically impossible for a double battle to occur unless you have two Pokemon. Now, I want my Shaymin to get as much exp. as possible, so I want to fight them alone so it doesn't get split. What I end up having to do is bring one other Pokemon (it's a low level), and attack it with Shaymin so it faints immediately and I can give all the experience to Shaymin. It's stupid. If I have a Pokemon, I should be able to battle. Maybe I'd feel different about this in another situation where I'm not slapping all of my experience on Shaymin, but still...it's obnoxious.

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
Yeah, definitely. I doubt the matter will be brought to their attention otherwise.

Also, while playing through Pearl, I realized a few things that definitely should change in 5th gen.

First of all, weather. In snowy areas, an automatic snow that goes away in other routes is a little different. But it's just stupid for it to be "You entered Route X! It started raining! You exited Route X! It stopped raining!" It should at least slowly fade in and out if they're going to do that. It shouldn't go from really rough rain to...nothing, in 5 seconds flat.

Also, (and this is really stupid) the trainers that hang around in pairs should always fight you. Since, while I'm playing through Pearl, I want to use only Shaymin, I only have Shaymin with me. But the two trainers, when I walk in front of them do...nothing. I talk to them and they say act like it's physically impossible for a double battle to occur unless you have two Pokemon. Now, I want my Shaymin to get as much exp. as possible, so I want to fight them alone so it doesn't get split. What I end up having to do is bring one other Pokemon (it's a low level), and attack it with Shaymin so it faints immediately and I can give all the experience to Shaymin. It's stupid. If I have a Pokemon, I should be able to battle. Maybe I'd feel different about this in another situation where I'm not slapping all of my experience on Shaymin, but still...it's obnoxious.
lol, pokemon sacrifice :p

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
lol, pokemon sacrifice :p
Haha, yeah. I'm probably the only person in the entire world who has purposely attacked their partner Pokemon multiple times on purpose (not including moves like Earthquake or Surf).

The legions of the Poke Center must amass and nominate a new moderator for us! (or at least get somebody assigned to us!)
Nomonations? I think the mods vote on a new mod. I don't think it's our choice.
You're correct, Bowser. The mods will pick a new mod if we get one.

In any case, I've PM'd Kirby King about the situation.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Nomonations? I think the mods vote on a new mod. I don't think it's our choice.
I will make it our choice!

*goes onto a rant about how obviously the mods haven't cared about this room so far, so we're going to have to do it ourselves*

and I was being sarcastic before. I know it isn't our choice. It would be pretty awesome if we became smashboards revolutionaries.

Silverline

Smash Apprentice
If it was our choice to make someone a Mod, I'd personally vote you, Firus, in part because you've been here a while apparently and also you being able to see what exactly shouldn't be tolerated. Skyler would probably be a close second if you couldn't do it.

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
I will make it our choice!

*goes onto a rant about how obviously the mods haven't cared about this room so far, so we're going to have to do it ourselves*

and I was being sarcastic before. I know it isn't our choice. It would be pretty awesome if we became smashboards revolutionaries.
It's sorta hard to sense sarcasm on the Internet ;)

Smashboard revo. would be halarious :laugh:

:smash: We wont take it anymore! We want independence and more rights! :estatic:

Spire

III
BRoomer
I urgently want a Zelda board. I have countless topics to speak of in regards to Zelda; I could talk about that series forever.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
I urgently want a Zelda board. I have countless topics to speak of in regards to Zelda; I could talk about that series forever.
Yeh. PM a mod about it.

And if all else fails, we'll always have the zelda thread.

LUVTOY77-ROGUE WIREFRAME

Smash Champion

I think weather should be possible in ALL areas.. as in it could snow one day in pallet town, and be sprinkling in celadon..

They could jst make weather clouds on the map couldn't they? That drift about very slowly and randomly? And maybe certain pokemon only come out during downpoors or some hide during them--like grass-types would be more common when it's raining, or along rivers, certain pokemon like poliwag and poliwhirl would be found out of water...? Maybe certain types of pokemon 'chase' the storms, as in snowy pokeon are always found under the snow cloud?

and this is great potential for legendaries like Zapdos (maybe only zapdos..?) imagien--during a storm, if you use fly in the'eye' of the storm or somehting, instead of going to your destinaiton, it shows your pokemon fly away, but then it enters a battle and
"wild Zapdos appears!"

Wouldn't that be awesome?
I think so...

Top Bottom