• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PM3.6 | Static / glitchy music on vanilla build (no customs)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BasuKun

Smash Rookie
Title of the bug: PM3.6 | Static / glitchy music on vanilla build (no customs)
Version found in:
3.6b Homebrew
Hardware you are running:
Dolphin 4.0-6215
Loading Method:
Gecko 1.9.3.1
Details: Some musics of the game (menu music, some victory musics, Yoshi Island...) have this static / glitchy issue where it plays all messed up, sped up, and sometimes switch to another track mid-song. While this usually occurs because of custom songs added in, I have redownloaded everything, reinstalled on a brand new SD card, defragmented it for the heck of it (because this usually fixes the issue when it happens because of customs), and booted up PM: the same issue occured.
Tried these steps a few times to make sure I didn't have fragments of custom music somewhere that would mess everything up, and the issue would still occur.
Attachments: Pictures won't be useful to this, and I don't have the required material to take a video :/
Custom Content:
Nope.

Hey guys!

So while I know that this usually occurs because of custom musics (and I know that a defragment of your SD card will fix it), this currently occurs from a fresh download of homebrew version and installed on a virtual SD card that was just created (no fragment of previous version is on it). As said in the details, I re-did the steps a few times to make sure and the issue would still occur. I can 100% confirm there is no remains of any custom content at all.

Sorry for not having attachment video, I am not sure which software could work for this. If you pinpoint an easy-to-use software for video recording I would glady try and take a video of the menu music that messes up big time.

Thanks!

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
This is not something to be reported as a bug as the issue is still user dependent and not exclusive to P:M. P:M is custom content and utilizes its own BRSTMs which are subject to the corruption issue.

BasuKun

Smash Rookie
This is not something to be reported as a bug as the issue is still user dependent and not exclusive to P:M. P:M is custom content and utilizes its own BRSTMs which are subject to the corruption issue.
I am not sure I understand this logic. If the entirety of PM is viewed as custom content and this section says to not post issues related to custom content, then this entire section should not exist at all?
My issue occurs with vanilla build, freshly downloaded and installed on a brand new SD card. The issue would not occur with 3.5, and suddenly occurs with 3.6. Where else can I post this issue than in bug reporting section related to PM?

Try deleting the all brstms at projectm/pf/sound/strm and see what happens.
Save a backup just in case.
I will try this out and get back to you, however that would mean I will not be able to use custom songs in the future? I am deeply waiting on a fix for this so I can import back my custom build when it will be fixed, as currently any custom song I try to import will automatically have the static issue, and no amount of defragmenting will fix it, compared to 3.5...

EDIT: So removing all brstms from the folder stops static and glitchy noises, but I still feel like this is an issue to be fixed by the PMDT since the brstms from their vanilla build causes the issue, and any other new custom songs won't work anymore while it used to in 3.5.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
You don't report the issue here because it isn't a bug that relates to the current build of the game, it's something that occurs launching homebrew for brawl in general.
Posting an actual issue or bug with the game isn't the same as posting an error with audio when it occurs universally.

BasuKun

Smash Rookie
So what can I do on my side to fix this issue, if it is not something to be fixed by PMDT?
As I said, custom songs used to work with 3.5, and suddenly even the vanilla PM songs (from a fresh download) don't work anymore, no matter how many reinstalls and new SD cards I do.

I feel like I can't just go "whatever I'll just play with this issue until 3.7 drops in, hoping for it to resolve the issue that 3.6 caused".

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
It's user-side. You can't just hope for it to fix, you make it fix. If defragmenting isn't working, then reformat the card and reinstall the files. If you use a defragmentation tool, then try manually defragmenting the card by dragging off all the files at once and then placing them back on at the same time.
You can also try deleting the BRSTMs entirely and re-transfer them back on the card.

Either way, it isn't something exclusive to P:M to be reported as a bug that they can fix.

BasuKun

Smash Rookie
I had already tried all of this many times (said it in my original post) but nothing fixes it.

Anyway, thanks for your help and explanations. I will submit a new thread under Customized Content so I can have a discussion under the appropriate section.

Sorry for the bother!

Narpas_sword

The main problem here @ BasuKun BasuKun is that there's nothing that the PMDT can do to fix your problem.

Music corruption is something that happens on individuals SD cards, and afaik, no one knows the exact reason.
The defraging / reformatting is a possible solution. if that's not working for you, id suggest trying a different SD card.

BasuKun

Smash Rookie
Yeah I understand a bit more why PMDT can,t do much on their side, I just thought that this would have been the case since it occurs with the default build.

As for your suggestion, as stated in my original post I had already tried defraging / reformatting, as well as using a brand new SD card. Re-did these steps a bit more today in case luck may have been on my side, but nothing works. For now I have to delete everything in the brstms folder, even the PM default songs, to avoid these static / glitchy issues...

reportingsfnoobs

Smash Apprentice
Did you try running the game first before adding anything? I remember when I extracted 3.5 into my SD card - I first added the custom BRSTM song files, then ran the game using the Brawl stage launcher. For some unknown reason, I was able to multishine like crazy. I was able to do around 6-10, but I knew I was only able to do 2-4 back on 3.2. I re-copied the 3.5 contents and ran it, then added my own songs later. It all worked out. I did have a weird song switch for like 5 seconds on Final Destination, though. I fixed it by just re-adding the specific song file.

Try running the game without adding anything first, then add your songs later. Ignore this if you didn't do what I did.

qwertz143

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
QWER#215
Switch FC
3943-7485-4011
Yeah I understand a bit more why PMDT can,t do much on their side, I just thought that this would have been the case since it occurs with the default build.

As for your suggestion, as stated in my original post I had already tried defraging / reformatting, as well as using a brand new SD card. Re-did these steps a bit more today in case luck may have been on my side, but nothing works. For now I have to delete everything in the brstms folder, even the PM default songs, to avoid these static / glitchy issues...
Alright so if you notice, there's a file in the 'strm' folder called SONGS REPLACED
Here it says
N12 - K.K. Condor -> Removed from Smashville and used as Bowser's Victory Theme
As K.K. Condor is a hidden song in the game which was replaced for a victory theme, I can see where your problem lies. I told you to backup your songs beforehand so I hope you did that. So now only delete the file called N12.brstm and tell me whether it works correctly. If it's still glitchy then do a trial and error method of deleting certain files until all the staticness. I used to have the same problem as you, but mine was on the wii, so when I changed most of the music in the game, it turned out fine. So if none of the stuff that I said worked, pm me and I will give you my custom music set. That works and has no glitchiness for me atleast :kirby:

Last edited:

BasuKun

Smash Rookie
Hey guys!

Just to close up this thread, Dos efes found the solution under the Customizable Content thread: here!
Extract and open the gameconfig.txt and find the line that reads hooktype. Then change the value to 1. Save and inject it back. That's it!

Thanks for the help guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom