• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PM CPUs?

GangsterPuff

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gpuff
3DS FC
1289-9497-1235
Allright, this might sound like a stupid topic, and I might be called a noob for this. I'm been playing PM for a month, and I have trouble against a level 3 G&W, funny thing is, I consider him tougher than most level 9s, also I lost one stock with my main against him, and I was able to beat level 9s with characters I barely play without any problem. Also, if there is something PM need to fix from brawl, it's the CPU taunting, you thought people on BB are annoying huh? Well you've never played a brawl/PM CPU before.

JakieWinks

Smash Apprentice
Maybe G&W is your weakness. The way the cpu G&W plays and moves could possibly be the absolute worst for whatever your playstyle is. I know I had A LOT of trouble with cpu Zelda for the longest time. She didn't do anything really different or better than the others, I just couldn't beat her.

JustTheTip

Smash Rookie
I don't know how to say this politely, but I have no problem beating him and I am not very good at Smash games.
I haven't heard anyone else mentioning certain characters having vastly superior AIs than others.

GangsterPuff

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gpuff
3DS FC
1289-9497-1235
Maybe G&W is your weakness. The way the cpu G&W plays and moves could possibly be the absolute worst for whatever your playstyle is. I know I had A LOT of trouble with cpu Zelda for the longest time. She didn't do anything really different or better than the others, I just couldn't beat her.
Nah, it's just I can't get past his stupid jabs, he can literally combo jab into anything, and I can't crouch cancel, punish, or do anything about it, and he just abuses jabs, it's annoying, if this is brawl, I could easily just sheild grabbed him, I also have trouble getting past other CPU that spam jabs, but G&W is the worst.

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
Which characters are your mains? Maybe it's the playstyle. Or maybe you just can't seem to finish him properly? A solid hit is all your really need, really.

shairn

Your favorite anime is bad.
3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
Out-space his jab, find a way to trade and come out on top, or, if you have fast enough moves, bait it out and punish when he whiffs.

Also PM CPU taunts are the best. Try dying to Falco.

Tugnus

Smash Cadet
You should just work on your tech skill and not worry about who you can or cannot beat. CPU's are fun and the improved PM AI is awesome, but "winning" doesn't test anything. You can beat any CPU by just spamming projectiles and waiting for them->Cstick. Since you are still having a little trouble with basic approaches and you only have CPU's to practice against, I would just work on your tech fundamentals/movement. Then work on your punish game. Then CPU's will be laughable.

Something I think is important when practicing against CPU's, try not to fall into the habit of gimmicky approaches. CPU's work by reacting to their "threat zone." You can get easy free hits by doing gimmicky things that would only work on a CPU that never adapts. Some examples are double jump knees/anything. Dashdance grab screws with their reactions. Ledge stalling=free hits. They almost always tech inwards off hits, semi random off grabs but still mostly inward. When they are getting up, if you run up and shield, they will ALWAYS get up attack. Same with when they get up from the ledge. They SUCK vs full hop attacks. And so much more...

Don't worry about "beating" CPU's. All you are learning is how to "outplay" a computer who will always do the same thing in the same situations. It only took me a couple days to notice all the annoying CPU "habits." The only thing you should really care about when practicing against a CPU is your punish game.

Last edited:

Brim

Smash Ace
NNID
Bitterbub
I don't know how to say this politely, but I have no problem beating him and I am not very good at Smash games.
I haven't heard anyone else mentioning certain characters having vastly superior AIs than others.
Just to point out bots like Luigi, and Lucas are just godly CPUs. They're like ****ing terrifying if they were actually as good as a Lvl 9 bot should be (in my opinion).

JakieWinks

Smash Apprentice
Just to point out bots like Luigi, and Lucas are just godly CPUs. They're like ****ing terrifying if they were actually as good as a Lvl 9 bot should be (in my opinion).
I second this, Lucas is such a good cpu, as well as Mario. Mario is so well rounded and uses just about everything, he's pretty good to practice against.

Top Bottom