• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PM Arts and Alts Thread

Thank you PMDT!

• :)

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • :')

Votes: 10 52.6%
  • ;-;

Votes: 9 47.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
Classic Sonic will not work. If we shorten the spines, then there goes the hitbox rule. Also, he's a lot fatter than Brawl Sonic. This will cause MANY animations to clip through the body, which will just be annoying and aesthetically displeasing, as well as affect the hurtboxes a tiny bit.

Also, having them the same height just wouldn't feel right.

Eh, if the Sonic Adventure concept art in Sonic Generations is anything to go by, I'm sure they could work something out.

This is my third time posing this picture in this thread, by the way. =D

Shin F.

Smash Master

Eh, if the Sonic Adventure concept art in Sonic Generations is anything to go by, I'm sure they could work something out.

This is my third time posing this picture in this thread, by the way. =D
The "they" that you said could work something out is the guy who just said it won't work. Nanobuds is one of the best modelers PMBR has. Even in that picture, their bodies do not match up enough to be up to PMBR's standards. Let's analyze it more closely, shall we? I'm going to overlay the Classic Sonic on top of the outlined Sonic so that the places their feet are touching in the center line up.

Okay, clearly their bodies don't match up at all. Now I'm going to increase Classic Sonic's height so that at least matches and we'll see how that works.

This is better, but notice that even so there are still hurtboxes that don't match, notably the spikes. PMBR could potentially work with this, HOWEVER, I would like to point out that editing Classic Sonic's spikes to match Modern Sonic's would make him look exactly the same anyways. And leaving them alone would leave us with bad, unmatching hurtboxes and hitboxes. But even if PMBR did find a workaround, let's assume that one person picked Sonic and another picked Classic Sonic. We would be treated to this pleasant imagery:

Which not only looks terrible, but would have horribly unmatching hurtboxes, which PMBR has already said they won't even consider doing. In short, Nanobuds knows what he's talking about and you really should listen to him.

Edited the list to add Peach costume ideas, Alm recolor for Marth and Wind Waker Ganon (as a recolor, since the hurtboxes for his actual model wouldn't match)
Luigi: Dr. Luigi, Dreamy Luigi
Peach: Nurse Peach (with extended dress for hitboxes), SMB1 Peach / Retro Peach, Pauline Recolor, Melee Daisy Alt,
Bowser: Dark Bowser, Strikers Bowser, Wedding Bowser, Bowletta, Meowser, SMB1 Box Art Bowser, King Koopa (Super Show)
Donkey Kong - Funky Kong's Clothes, Strikers DK, Donkey Kong Jr., Swanky Kong's Clothes
Diddy Kong - Strikers Diddy, DK Jr's Clothes, Kiddy's PJs, Funky Kong's Clothes, Lanky Kong's Clothes
Yoshi: Pirate Yoshi, Brown Yoshi
Link - SS, SS Manga Link, Hyrule Warriors Link, NES Art Link, Hero's Shade (either as a skeleton or as OoT Link wearing his armor)
Zelda - OoT, SS
Sheik - OoT, SS
Ganondorf - OoT, OoT3D, Wind Waker Recolor,
Toon Link - ALttP Link / Classic Link, Conductor Link, Young Link's Clothes
Samus - UAM 1, MP2 recolors, true Fusion Suit, true Dark Suit, true Gravity Suit, Phazon Suit, Light Suit, PED Suit, Dark Samus cosplay
ZSS - Zero Mission Ending, Super Metroid Ending, Civvies, Military Suit, Justin Bailey, 'Corrupted' Samus
Pit - Sacred Treasures, Classic/Melee Pit
Ice Climbers - Real Ice Climbers, Hoods Down, Summertime Ice Climbers, Autumn Ice Climbers, Spring Ice Climbers, Classic Ice Climbers
ROB - SNES ROB, Gamecube ROB, Wii ROB, N64 ROB, DS ROB
Kirby - Grape, Charcoal, Orange, Snow... just recolors in general.
Meta Knight - Quickdraw Meta Knight, Meta Knight unmasked, Super Star Ultra Meta Knight (different hat? someone find this.), NES Meta Knight, Draw Meta Knight, Dark Meta Knight Cosplay, Galactica Knight Cosplay
King Dedede - Quickdraw Dedede, Penguin colored, Masked Dedede, Classic Dedede, Draw Dedede, N64 Dedede, Toy Dedede (Kirby's Toybox)
Olimar - Alph, Brittany and Charlie-like recolors, Bad Ending Pikmin Olimar
Captain Falcon - Classic Captain Falcon, Pikmin Suit, Famicom Disguise, Super Falcon Suit, GX Captain Falcon
Pikachu - Christmas Hat, Sparky Hair, Classic Shiny Pikachu, Raichu recolor, Team Rocket Hat, Pichu Backpack, Melee Fedora, Ninja Mask
Squirtle - Clone Squirtle
Ivysaur - Clone Ivysaur
Charizard - Clone Charizard, Ridley colored, Dragonite colored, Dry Charizard, Gen II Shiny Charizard
Lucario - Sir Aaron's Clothes, Lucaryu, Evil Lucario
Mewtwo - Shiny Mewtwo in Armor
Jigglypuff - Christmas Hat, Nurse Joy Hat, Officer Jenny Hat, Melee Focus Sash, El Globo, Bigglypuff
Marth - Awakening Marth, Classic (Pantless) Marth, Shadow Dragon Marth, Mystery of the Emblem Marth, Great Lord Lucina Cosplay, Lucina Mask, Alm Recolor
Ike - Lord Ike, Vanguard Ike, Hero Ike, Awakening Ike
Roy - Awakening Roy, Eliwood recolor
Ness - Robot Ness, Jeff's school uniform, Poo's martial arts gi, Ninten's clothes, Ghost Ness, Project M shirt
Lucas - DCMC shirt, Pajamas Lucas, Kumatora Recolor, Duster's clothes / recolor, Project M shirt
Mr. Game and Watch - Orange, Purple, White, Silver, Gold, and other recolors
Snake - Big Boss, Naked Snake, Old Snake, Liquid Snake, Tuxedo Snake
Sonic - Silver-Colored Sonic, Orange-Colored Sonic, Monochrome Sonic, Legacy Sonic, Excalibur Sonic, Race Gear Sonic, Sonic Boom Sonic

Last edited:

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
@ Shin F. Shin F.

Your post is too long, so I'm not quoting it. And I'm well aware of who Nano is. ¦D

Anywho, by "work something out" I meant make something similar that could work, not exactly the same. There's a reason I took a picture of Classic Sonic in a different style that's much more similar to Modern's versus the Generations version of Classic which is obviously really tiny.

You're being way too nitpicky here.

Last edited:

Shin F.

Smash Master
I'm not being too nitpicky, you're just not being nitpicky enough XD

If this were any old mod, I'd say go for it, but the thing is, PMBR is very picky about their quality, so any discussion about what happens with the mod should face the same level of scrutiny.

And about picking a Classic Sonic much more similar to Modern Sonic, that poses a problem in and of itself - they're so similar, that tweaking them to fit each other would give you nearly identical costumes anyways.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
I'm not being too nitpicky, you're just not being nitpicky enough XD

If this were any old mod, I'd say go for it, but the thing is, PMBR is very picky about their quality, so any discussion about what happens with the mod should face the same level of scrutiny.

And about picking a Classic Sonic much more similar to Modern Sonic, that poses a problem in and of itself - they're so similar, that tweaking them to fit each other would give you nearly identical costumes anyways.
That's the same thing most people thought about OoT Link and how a lot of people reacted to Virtual Boy R.O.B. (who still just looks like a palette swap without zooming in) and there was no problem there. Besides, this would still look different compared to those.

I don't want Classic Sonic as an alt, myself but I simply believe that anyone who argues against it isn't using their imagination enough and lacks vision.

I'd rather have that Excalibur Sonic, Legacy Sonic or most of all, "Sonic Boom" Sonic over Classic any day, personally.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
That's the same thing most people thought about OoT Link and how a lot of people reacted to Virtual Boy R.O.B. (who still just looks like a palette swap without zooming in) and there was no problem there. Besides, this would still look different compared to those.

I don't want Classic Sonic as an alt, myself but I simply believe that anyone who argues against it isn't using their imagination enough and lacks vision.

I'd rather have that Excalibur Sonic, Legacy Sonic or most of all, "Sonic Boom" Sonic over Classic any day, personally.
But, like, I don't like having OoT Link in Project M. It and Melee Foxco are too simple looking, and in the former's case the voice and weapons aren't consistent with his new look anyway.

Just because the PMBR did it doesn't necessarily mean it's gonna turn out perfect.

Now if OoT Link at least had his weapons resembling the designs from OoT instead of TP when you switched to him, I'd be more okay with them. As it stands, the concept feels unfinished and rushed.

Last edited:

Shin F.

Smash Master
Not using their imagination? Lacks vision? So, the guy who actually makes a number of the Alt Costumes lacks the imagination and vision for this to make an Alt Costume? Sounds legit.

It's not any of us lacking imagination or vision. No one is arguing that it can't be done. We've seen it done, even, with size mods. What we're saying is that it can't be done at a sufficiently high standard that PMBR will be pleased with. It's not just about making an alt costume, it's about making one that's functionally identical, with identical hit and hurtboxes, but also true to the costume.

OoT Link is different from TP Link in his appearance in numerous cosmetic ways that don't interfere with his functionality - the lack of chainmail, the brighter coloration, the different face, more subtle things like that. Virtual Boy ROB is different enough primarily because of his coloration. The different model is just extra icing. But if you take away the size differences between Classic and Modern Sonic so their hurtboxes match up, there's virtually no difference between them. At best, he'd just look like a slightly fat recolor. He wouldn't truly look like Classic Sonic.

I'm not even a Sonic fan. I could care less what Alts he gets, and I have absolutely nothing against Classic Sonic. But he doesn't match up to PMBR's standards.

Last edited:

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
Not using their imagination? Lacks vision? So, the guy who actually makes a number of the Alt Costumes lacks the imagination and vision for this to make an Alt Costume? Sounds legit.
Actually, I was talking about people like you. Not him. ¦D

Anyway, my mindset is still "Not with THAT attitude, he doesn't!" but again, I don't particularly care since he's not the alt I want anyway, which I just stated. I disagree that it can't be done to the same standards of the other outfits, but I'd still rather see something else myself.

There's not much more of a point in continuing, so I'd say that ends the discussion. :3

Last edited:

Shin F.

Smash Master
Oh, my. Someone on the internet thinks he knows me!

#Assumptions

I'll have you know I am 7 weeks from having my Bachelor's Degree in Graphic Design. If I didn't have imagination or vision, I wouldn't have made it through my first semester of classes. I would've quit or failed like over three quarters of my class has.

Last edited:

LeeYawshee

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2621-3044-6895
If there's anything I love is imagining the impossible, but this isn't a matter of imagination, this is a matter of logic. And logic states that it can't be done. If you really think it can be done then please, tell me how, if it gets counter argued it won't count.

But, like, I don't like having OoT Link in Project M. It and Melee Foxco are too simple looking, and in the former's case the voice and weapons aren't consistent with his new look anyway.

Just because the PMBR did it doesn't necessarily mean it's gonna turn out perfect.

Now if OoT Link at least had his weapons resembling the designs from OoT instead of TP when you switched to him, I'd be more okay with them. As it stands, the concept feels unfinished and rushed.
It's the best OoT in the whole Brawl community, most are model imports of Melee or something similar. Also, it's impossible to do that UNLESS you change ALL of the weapons. They're like Luigi's fireballs, they can't be changed unless some super programming is put and even then we're not sure if it's possible.

Nanobuds

Smash Ace
If there's anything I love is imagining the impossible, but this isn't a matter of imagination, this is a matter of logic. And logic states that it can't be done. If you really think it can be done then please, tell me how, if it gets counter argued it won't count.
I was about to say the same thing.

It's the best OoT in the whole Brawl community, most are model imports of Melee or something similar. Also, it's impossible to do that UNLESS you change ALL of the weapons. They're like Luigi's fireballs, they can't be changed unless some super programming is put and even then we're not sure if it's possible.
Each Link model has their own sword.

OoT Link was having problems being imported, so at the time of 3.0, we were just trying to get him to work (Which still didn't work 100% perfectly, with his facial expressions non-existent).
His model wasn't "finalized" until the night before release... so yeah. We focused on the large, important parts of the model, rather than the small details.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
I was about to say the same thing.

Each Link model has their own sword.

OoT Link was having problems being imported, so at the time of 3.0, we were just trying to get him to work (Which still didn't work 100% perfectly, with his facial expressions non-existent).
His model wasn't "finalized" until the night before release... so yeah. We focused on the large, important parts of the model, rather than the small details.
Mmm, I understand. I'm not being unappreciative, I was just saying it didn't feel totally complete. I know a lot of work went into all the different costumes and models, but it felt strange to see OoT Link using the Clawshot, for example.

Although, given the new boomerang and fight entrance you guys gave Link, I should've seen this decision coming :p

So is there any way you'd be able to improve the model to more closely resemble OoT Link in the future, or is that asking for too much?

Last edited:

Nanobuds

Smash Ace
We do plan to fix the sword, and add other aesthetic tweaks to the model, but we can't change the articles like the hookshot or bombs.

When it comes to one-slot edits, we can change GFX like fire and stuff, but not articles.

Articles are outside models like Snake's weapons, or Samus's missles

LeeYawshee

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2621-3044-6895
We do plan to fix the sword, and add other aesthetic tweaks to the model, but we can't change the articles like the hookshot or bombs.

When it comes to one-slot edits, we can change GFX like fire and stuff, but not articles.

Out of curiosity, are there any projectiles that are changeable?

Shin F.

Smash Master
Out of curiosity, are there any projectiles that are changeable?
As a general rule, I believe that anything that's stored in the individual costume files (and not the Moveset or MotionEtc files) can be changed on a costume-to-costume basis. So yeah, ROB's Gyro is one of them like andalsoandy said as well as all swords. Link, TL and Pit's shields can be changed as well, but other than those I'm not sure. I know that FLUDD was able to be changed on each costume in vBrawl, and I suspect that's how they got either the Doc's Pills or his Super Sheet to be different all the time, since it's not used and doesn't show up in their files any more.

Last edited:

Darkmask

Smash Journeyman
Not sure if anyone posted Pikachu ideas for alt costume, I mean yeah there's the Pirate Hat Pikachu, but I don't think that's really at the same level as some of the alts already available.

First option is the "Red Orb Pikachu" from the anime.

This is of course from the anime, in the episodes where Pikachu is possessed by the Red Orb used to call Groudon, it messes with Pikachu's mind and makes him very violent and aggressive, therefore this alt could be considered an 'Evil Costume' like Shadow Queen Peach and Dry Bowser. Plus, because there are two legendaries, Groudon and Kyogre, there could be a second alt of the glowing runes Pikachu with the runes in blue instead of red. I think this would be a simple but awesome alt, with the glowing runes and glowing, evil eyes.

Second option I was thinking of was of Pikachu as it's evolution, Raichu:

This one would require a bit more work, but all in all I don't see as being that difficult to accomplish. The body is mostly just a recolor of sorts, the only new aspects that would have to be added would be the ears and a new tail, both of which I don't think would actually effect how Pikachu plays normally (and I guess larger feet maybe?). Size wouldn't need to change either, cause let's face it, Smash Pikachu is already sized up in comparison to his actual Pokedex size. And again, a Raichu alt costume gives an option for a second alt in the form of Shiny Raichu! The only issue I see is whether the Raichu skin would retain Pikachu's voice or would a new Raichu voice need to be added, even if it's just replacing "Pi" and "Pika" with "Rai"

So there are my two suggestions, anyone have any feedback on "Red Orb Pikachu" (and "Blue Orb Pikachu") or "Raichu" (and "Shiny Raichu")? Or even another suggestion altogether for Pikachu's alternative costume?

Last edited:

Toxicroaker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4184-2367-6702
Not sure if anyone posted Pikachu ideas for alt costume, I mean yeah there's the Pirate Hat Pikachu, but I don't think that's really at the same level as some of the alts already available.

First option is the "Red Orb Pikachu" from the anime.

This is of course from the anime, in the episodes where Pikachu is possessed by the Red Orb used to call Groudon, it messes with Pikachu's mind and makes him very violent and aggressive, therefore this alt could be considered an 'Evil Costume' like Shadow Queen Peach and Dry Bowser. Plus, because there are two legendaries, Groudon and Kyogre, there could be a second alt of the glowing runes Pikachu with the runes in blue instead of red. I think this would be a simple but awesome alt, with the glowing runes and glowing, evil eyes.

Second option I was thinking of was of Pikachu as it's evolution, Raichu:

This one would require a bit more work, but all in all I don't see as being that difficult to accomplish. The body is mostly just a recolor of sorts, the only new aspects that would have to be added would be the ears and a new tail, both of which I don't think would actually effect how Pikachu plays normally (and I guess larger feet maybe?). Size wouldn't need to change either, cause let's face it, Smash Pikachu is already sized up in comparison to his actual Pokedex size. And again, a Raichu alt costume gives an option for a second alt in the form of Shiny Raichu! The only issue I see is whether the Raichu skin would retain Pikachu's voice or would a new Raichu voice need to be added, even if it's just replacing "Pi" and "Pika" with "Rai"

So there are my two suggestions, anyone have any feedback on "Red Orb Pikachu" (and "Blue Orb Pikachu") or "Raichu" (and "Shiny Raichu")? Or even another suggestion altogether for Pikachu's alternative costume?
riachu won't work. It isn't the same pokemon.

andalsoandy

Smash Lord
I don't see how Raichu would be any different than Pikachu in gameplay, but fair enough.

So what about my second suggestion? Red/Blue Orb Pikachu?
Raichu is actually against the PMBR's rules for being a separate Pokemon.

And then there's this again:
*Raichu wins*
"And the winner is..."
"Pikachu!"

That'd be pretty awkward if you ask me.

Darkmask

Smash Journeyman
Raichu is actually against the PMBR's rules for being a separate Pokemon.

And then there's this again:
*Raichu wins*
"And the winner is..."
"Pikachu!"

That'd be pretty awkward if you ask me.
Alright, you have a pretty good point there! I suppose Raichu wouldn't really work well at all as Pikachu's official alt costume for that exact reason. But then if that is the case I am pulling more for Orb Pikachu from the anime!

It's somewhat simple, just glowing red runes and evil, glowing red eyes. Also, like Mewtwo, there can easily be a second version as well with glowing blue runes instead of red, to represent both the blue orb and red orb (Groudon and Kyogre), also, as I mentioned, people love evil costumes, and this could really be considered a canon 'Evil Pikachu' since he goes aggressively crazy while possessed by the orb!

andalsoandy

Smash Lord
Alright, you have a pretty good point there! I suppose Raichu wouldn't really work well at all as Pikachu's official alt costume for that exact reason. But then if that is the case I am pulling more for Orb Pikachu from the anime!

It's somewhat simple, just glowing red runes and evil, glowing red eyes. Also, like Mewtwo, there can easily be a second version as well with glowing blue runes instead of red, to represent both the blue orb and red orb (Groudon and Kyogre), also, as I mentioned, people love evil costumes, and this could really be considered a canon 'Evil Pikachu' since he goes aggressively crazy while possessed by the orb!
I guess it works.

It's ****ing terrifying though.

Prince Longstrok

Taker of lives, defiler of daughters.
Kinda wish PMBR would throw us a bone to let us know whats in the loop :c

Sometimes I think they are just having naked pillow fights and making fun of the fans. D:

Or maybe just the first one..

hmm..

Darkmask

Smash Journeyman
Jigglypuff Alt Costume ideas!

First one is obvious! Bigglypuff from the series!

Jigglypuff's final smash is already based on this partly, so why not give Bigglypuff the inclusion it deserves and make it Jiggly's official alt? Plus it's a rather simple recolor, just having to add the tribal markings.

My second suggestion is more of a joke ... but I could see a demand for it! Derpy Eye Jiggly based on her original Green/Red Gameboy Sprite!

It's already hilarious when you get your butt kicked by Jigglypuff, as you never expect it, what could add insult to injury than not only being KOed by Jigglypuff, but a badly drawn, derpy-eyed version! Puuuuu ...

ElGoombaswag

Hououin Kyoma
NNID
cdoggfuentes

My question is this: can each alternate costume have different sound effects? I have seen somebody use melee link's SFX for link's alternate costume, while still using brawl link's SFX at the same time.

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
May sound crazy, but it's me, or Roy's cape of his Awakening design isn't attached to nothing?
I mean in his official art he's just grabbing the cape, same with most of the fanart impressions.
And this could be good since they could just attach his bandana to his cape bones.

Last edited:

FireBall Stars

Smash Ace
Kinda wish PMBR would throw us a bone to let us know whats in the loop :c

Sometimes I think they are just having naked pillow fights and making fun of the fans. D:

Or maybe just the first one..

hmm..
Who told you about the pill.. erm... I mean, we definitely would love to give some details on what is going on right now. However building hype is very valuable for us so we can't give many clues of what we're doing.

I can at least say that some suggestions that are present on this thread are being considered or even have concept art done, waiting for decisions from the art team to come to fruition. There are few new models done but I can't talk about them.

Although I can talk about my reaction when I saw them. What was it? Oh yes, like this.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom