• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PM 3.5....better than Smash Wii U?

Which do you think is going to be better? (Overall)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Smearglangelo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
UltraKoopaTroopa
3DS FC
4124-5097-9262
....is it safe to come out yet?

Because my friends won't play PM single player was a must have for me. Now that version 3.5 is out I can play through Subspace and events like in Brawl! But is that enough to make it an overall better experience than Smash 4?

Maybe.

I already have experience with Adventure mode and Event Matches from playing Brawl/Melee so I'm familiar with how enjoyable those modes can be, but Smash 4 has a whole lot of new content in the Wii U version I haven't tried yet. 8-player matches, board games, Master/Crazy challenges, it's all unfamiliar to me and I would like to try them out for myself before making early judgments.

The only thing I can say on the matter is that we should wait until PM 3.5 and Smash 4 are officially released before we compare them and this thread might have been made a bit too early.

Quillion

Smash Hero
In terms of content, Smash 4.

In terms of competitive (which I'm still getting into)... Melee SD Remix. Hopefully Melee hacking will progress to the point that it can match Brawl hacking.

Kankato

Smash Journeyman
In terms of content, Smash 4.

In terms of competitive (which I'm still getting into)... Melee SD Remix. Hopefully Melee hacking will progress to the point that it can match Brawl hacking.
I don't think it ever will. PM's convenience for the average lazy pleb is a huge selling point, & if the PMDT perfectly replicate the melee engine in brawl why would you want to backport the characters from PM to Melee SD remix?

Unless you just want to play melee, which I totally understand.

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
You posted this in the PM board where there's an obvious preference for it. I don't see the point.
*sigh*, well where else would I put this thread? The Smash Wii U thread? everyone would have a preference towards the Wii U version. It's not like there's a General Smash Thread for every smash game at once, right?
I feel that Project M is the definitive smash game. I've actually decided NOT to pick up the new Smash because of this. I personally trust the PM DT more than Nintendo themselves. They KNOW the problems, they FIX the problems, and then ADD. Smash games made by Nintendo are anything but balanced, they add, remove, and create a mixture of good things and bad things. It's odd.

Also, because I don't want to play as a half-***ed (Dr.)Mario ._.
Well actually, I believe Smash 4 is WAY more definitive than Project M. 2 things: 1. Project M is a fan-made game, therefore, they decide to add fan-made things to add to the Melee engine that wern't in any normal Smash game like Bowser's jump cancel (hoping that PM 3.5 doesn't take that away BTW), Olimar's exploding white pikmin, how broken they made Lucas in 3.0, etc.), and 2. Smash 4's engine doesn't rely on exploits and what not to create a fast engine, Smash 4 is what it was when the first trailer came out.

For any non Melee enthuiests out there, the exploits are not cheating. Never have they been banned by the community (D1 XD), and they have added more skill to both Melee and PM. Just sayin'.

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
....is it safe to come out yet?

Because my friends won't play PM single player was a must have for me. Now that version 3.5 is out I can play through Subspace and events like in Brawl! But is that enough to make it an overall better experience than Smash 4?

Maybe.

I already have experience with Adventure mode and Event Matches from playing Brawl/Melee so I'm familiar with how enjoyable those modes can be, but Smash 4 has a whole lot of new content in the Wii U version I haven't tried yet. 8-player matches, board games, Master/Crazy challenges, it's all unfamiliar to me and I would like to try them out for myself before making early judgments.

The only thing I can say on the matter is that we should wait until PM 3.5 and Smash 4 are officially released before we compare them and this thread might have been made a bit too early.
Well this thread was made so you could take a PREDICTION on which Smash game / mod would you think is better. Be psychic! Take a nice guess on which Smash game people like more.
Yes.

10yes
10yes to what exactly? Just wondering?

Quillion

Smash Hero
I don't think it ever will. PM's convenience for the average lazy pleb is a huge selling point, & if the PMDT perfectly replicate the melee engine in brawl why would you want to backport the characters from PM to Melee SD remix?

Unless you just want to play melee, which I totally understand.
Yeah, I'd rather play a Balanced Melee and a Balanced Brawl, not Brawl with Melee physics.

But the main reason why I want Melee hacking to progress as far as Brawl hacking is so that SDR won't keep being so unknown when people are still playing the unbalanced vMelee.

Last edited:

Ganreizu

Smash Ace
Threads like this are made and people still wonder why nintendo has issues with P:M lol.

MLGF

Smash Lord
I mean, competition promotes quality. Ninty never had to compete for the platform fighter thing ever, so PM is a really good thing if one thinks about it.

MekaDragon

Smash Rookie
Project M is waaay better than Brawl or WiiU, because it's done by players, for players.

Maybe WiiU and Brawl are more casual friendly, party game-esque, but... I can play party game too with Project M! And I prefer it, hands down.

Quillion

Smash Hero
because it's done by players, for players.
Yeah... that was one of the selling points of PlayStation All Stars, being made by a collection of high-level fighting game players.

Unfortunately, the game turned out to be a backwards-thinking version of not only Smash, but fighting games in general.

ICYoshi

Smash Rookie
While at the moment I am more hyped for 3.5, I'll be playing both the Wii U Smash and 3.5 once they are out. I'm just happy I have friends that will play both.

King Bee

Smash Cadet
Yeah... that was one of the selling points of PlayStation All Stars, being made by a collection of high-level fighting game players.

Unfortunately, the game turned out to be a backwards-thinking version of not only Smash, but fighting games in general.
I will never understand how they arrived at the baffling decision to make everything but super moves totally irrelevant to the outcome of the match (because Final Smashes were everyone's favorite competitive game mechanic, right?) That combined with the star power-less roster of mostly angry white dudes pretty much guaranteed nobody was going to take it seriously. It's a shame, really, because a Smash-type game where you can play as PaRappa and Sir Daniel Fortesque sounds like it should be the greatest thing since toast. But I digress.

Smearglangelo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
UltraKoopaTroopa
3DS FC
4124-5097-9262
While at the moment I am more hyped for 3.5, I'll be playing both the Wii U Smash and 3.5 once they are out. I'm just happy I have friends that will play both.
You're so lucky man, my friends have forsaken P:M. The only Smash games they'll play is Brawl, Smash 4, and sometimes Melee. Poor Smash 64 is collecting dust in the corner...

Edit:
Well this thread was made so you could take a PREDICTION on which Smash game / mod would you think is better. Be psychic! Take a nice guess on which Smash game people like more.
Oh! It's so clear to me now that you've used caps lock!

But making a prediction on two games I haven't played yet calls for me to make an extremely biased decision without much evidence...

Since my friends seem to hate P:M with a passion I'm going to have to side with Smash 4. P:M seems to focus on a smaller (yet extremely dedicated;)) group of people while Smash 4 seems like it was made to be a game that anyone could enjoy.

Last edited:

Smearglangelo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
UltraKoopaTroopa
3DS FC
4124-5097-9262
Oh no! Double post.:facepalm:

Last edited:

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
You're so lucky man, my friends have forsaken P:M. The only Smash games they'll play is Brawl, Smash 4, and sometimes Melee. Poor Smash 64 is collecting dust in the corner...

Edit:
Oh! It's so clear to me now that you've used caps lock!

But making a prediction on two games I haven't played yet calls for me to make an extremely biased decision without much evidence...

Since my friends seem to hate P:M with a passion I'm going to have to side with Smash 4. P:M seems to focus on a smaller (yet extremely dedicated;)) group of people while Smash 4 seems like it was made to be a game that anyone could enjoy.
Well I mean you shouldn't really change your opinion based on what your friends say, right? Why do they hate PM? Let me take a guess: "The game is built around exploits.", "This game is too complicated", "PM has a lot of random things that are stupid". Something along those lines? If that were the case I should relate to you. It's not that my friends hate PM, it's that they don't know it and if they do, they don't bother. My local friends are all casuals that like free-for-alls and never really do 1v1s. Ugh, what the hell does it take to get a competitive player around here in high school years!?
Both are going to be equally great bad.

/shotsfired
XD

Last edited:

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I feel that Project M is the definitive smash game. I've actually decided NOT to pick up the new Smash because of this. I personally trust the PM DT more than Nintendo themselves. They KNOW the problems, they FIX the problems, and then ADD. Smash games made by Nintendo are anything but balanced, they add, remove, and create a mixture of good things and bad things. It's odd.

Also, because I don't want to play as a half-***ed (Dr.)Mario ._.
Based on what they removed and changed with the WiiU version and what Sakurai said about Lil'Mac having the lowest winrate online I think they clearly have an idea of what is going on with Smash 4 and patches.

Prince Longstrok

Taker of lives, defiler of daughters.

Dont remind me :\

*cries*

Toon612Link

Smash Journeyman
I don't see why it would... They didn't add anything too spectacular, Smash 4 has more things you can do. As well as new characters. P.M will be fun... But I won't play it as much as I do Smash 4.

Szion

Smash Journeyman
Smash 4 is essentially a faster brawl. All of the other problems that brawl had, including but not limited to

Landing lag not cancelable
Combos limited to certain characters.
Deaths/matches taking forever
coming out of hitstun too early at later percents, gimping the combos..
Defensive campy play is rewarded.

For these reasons I will state that 3.5 is better than smash 4. Additionally, even though they have characters i like such as Rosalina and Greninja, they're roster includes far too many people no one likes/wanted it seems. Apparently everyone but the spammy camp players hated the idea of duck hunt, even before the game release.. I wont even get started on some of the other characters..

Here in PM, they've built everyone in an awesome manner so even the characters that were questionable for brawl entry look nicer. AND gee idk a harder attempt at balancing 'em! AND we can just BUILD CHARACTERS. we've got like 5 slots left? they wont touch the sm4sh characters buuut the missed oppurtunities like Lyn, Krystal, Tails, Dixie Kong (?), The wind guy from zelda 4 swords( vaati??)..all of these awesome and relevant (not to mention unique flavor adding)characters have a shot here. Even more, if you look at the dang thread on it. none of these outta the blue characters like duck hunt n wii fit trainer. I NEVER see them on wifi, NOT EVEN IN FOR FUN. e.e
sm4sh: what people occaisionally wanted, alot of what people didnt want..but its What people got
Project M: What people WANTED AND NEEDED AND got.

Honestly, I want smash 4 for the 8 player. That's it. I'll still be playing PM

Last edited:

DraconisMarch

Smash Apprentice
I'm not dropping the cash for a Wii U just for Smash 4 because I know I'd get it only for new characters/modes, and then end up dropping it for its inferior gameplay and never touching it again, and go back to PM instead.

Smash 4 is too slow. Camping is rewarded. Offensive play isn't rewarded enough. There's hardly any interesting mechanics and tech skills. Recoveries are ridiculous. People often live forever.

Sure, Smash 4 will have a ****ton of content, but it doesn't matter if the gameplay is incredibly lacking. The gameplay is what keeps you coming back for more. Why do you think Melee is still so huge? (Hint: It's not because of content or GRAPHIX.)

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
I'm not dropping the cash for a Wii U just for Smash 4 because I know I'd get it only for new characters/modes, and then end up dropping it for its inferior gameplay and never touching it again, and go back to PM instead.

Smash 4 is too slow. Camping is rewarded. Offensive play isn't rewarded enough. There's hardly any interesting mechanics and tech skills. Recoveries are ridiculous. People often live forever.

Sure, Smash 4 will have a ****ton of content, but it doesn't matter if the gameplay is incredibly lacking. The gameplay is what keeps you coming back for more. Why do you think Melee is still so huge? (Hint: It's not because of content or GRAPHIX.)

ZeRo would like to have a word with you...

D

Deleted member

Based on what they removed and changed with the WiiU version and what Sakurai said about Lil'Mac having the lowest winrate online I think they clearly have an idea of what is going on with Smash 4 and patches.
Is that so? I'm really surprised, since I can never play an online match without running into Little Mac players. I'm sick of them.

Engage

Smash Journeyman
NNID
WeegeeUser
Is that so? I'm really surprised, since I can never play an online match without running into Little Mac players. I'm sick of them.
Little Mac having the lowest Win Rate in Smash 4 online matches (1 v 1) mode...

that's proof that no matter how overly used a character is, finding a GOOD one is rare.

D

Deleted member

Little Mac having the lowest Win Rate in Smash 4 online matches (1 v 1) mode...

that's proof that no matter how overly used a character is, finding a GOOD one is rare.
That's an interesting way to put it. I wonder how good he'd do against an aerial ace like Luigi.
:troll:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom