• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Please make the competitive Smash 3DS subforum easier to find.

Status
Not open for further replies.

WastingPenguins

Smash Ace
So this subforum isn't exactly easy to find. I've been on Smashboards since 2006 and I generally know how the layout works, and it still took me a week to realize that it was sitting there at the top of the Smash 3DS General Discussion subforum. And if I didn't notice it, I guarantee that tons of new Smashboards users won't either. Why isn't this subforum simply listed on the Super Smash Bros. for 3DS and Wii U topics, alongside 3DS General Discussion? I understand that competitive play could be viewed as a sub-topic that's encompassed by General Discussion, but for people like me who generally ignore all the stickied threads up top anyway, it's just not easy to locate. If it were moved, I think there would be a lot more discussion and posting happening in here.

AttackstorM

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2122-8193-6919
100% agree. I would say don't make it a sub-forum its importance is too great to be a sub-forum. If space is needed I personally would rather the general discussion be the sub forum.
So this subforum isn't exactly easy to find. I've been on Smashboards since 2006 and I generally know how the layout works, and it still took me a week to realize that it was sitting there at the top of the Smash 3DS General Discussion subforum. And if I didn't notice it, I guarantee that tons of new Smashboards users won't either. Why isn't this subforum simply listed on the Super Smash Bros. for 3DS and Wii U topics, alongside 3DS General Discussion? I understand that competitive play could be viewed as a sub-topic that's encompassed by General Discussion, but for people like me who generally ignore all the stickied threads up top anyway, it's just not easy to locate. If it were moved, I think there would be a lot more discussion and posting happening in here.

WastingPenguins

Smash Ace
Yes! To me it makes zero sense for Smashboards, a site supposedly dedicated to competitive Smash discussion, to bury the competitive subforum in a place where most users won't even notice it. I was honestly baffled by the lack of competitive play discussion until I actively searched and noticed it stickied at the top of General Discussion.

Last edited:

WastingPenguins

Smash Ace
That still doesn't excuse burying it in such a weird spot. I guarantee that tons of people who want to discuss the demo don't realize this subforum exists, as the people already commenting in this thread demonstrate.

Untouch

Smash Master
I think smash 4 should be it's own subforum, I really don't see why 3DS and WiiU need to be split up when there's only really minor differences.

Mgs LaLiLuLeLo

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
5343-9814-2031
I think smash 4 should be it's own subforum, I really don't see why 3DS and WiiU need to be split up when there's only really minor differences.
If people, for example, find a bug on a console, it might not be on the other, that's also why both games have separate release dates, since Sakurai said that was because they both needed separate debugging periods.
Also, the stages are not MINOR differences to me, neither the different modes. And since the multiplayer gameplay will not be cross-platform is much more comfortable to find people to play with or enter tournaments of the system you play on. There are a lot more differences, but this are just to show the convenience of having two separate subforums.

WastingPenguins

Smash Ace
It's no harder to find than any other subforum and it doesn't warrant a higher status right now.
Actually it IS harder to find than other subforums. For example, if you click the Smash 4 Characters page under the main Super Smash Bros. for 3DS and Wii U page, you're taken to a huge long list of character subforums for each character. Sure, there's stickies and topics for general character discussion under that, but the character-specific subforums are utterly OBVIOUS. Plus, you would EXPECT to find character subforums separated under that link. Now let's compare that to the competitive discussion subforum. First of all, not everyone is going to EXPECT to find it hidden away as a subforum inside the "General Discussion" forum, so they might not even think to look there. I didn't at first, I just assumed there WASN'T a subforum dedicated to competitive discussion yet. And then there's the issue of visibility once you're inside the General Discussion page. Competitive Discussion isn't part of a big, obvious list of subforums, like the character pages. Instead, it's sitting right at the top all by its lonesome. It looks basically like one of the stickied threads. And who would expect to find the whole competitive subforum essentially stickied at the top another subforum? Maybe you would, but a LOT OF PEOPLE won't.

Also, what do you mean that it "doesn't warrant a higher status now"? Literally the FULL GAME is released already. More than a million copies have been sold, and there are TONS of English-speaking gamers playing the Japanese version. Not to mention the thousands playing the demo, with MANY more than that ready to join this weekend when the demo debuts to everyone. Are you implying that the subforum is intentionally hidden for now, and should be promoted to a more visible spot when the English release hits? How in the world do you justify that?

Last edited:

Mgs LaLiLuLeLo

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
5343-9814-2031
Actually it IS harder to find than other subforums. For example, if you click the Smash 4 Characters page under the main Super Smash Bros. for 3DS and Wii U page, you're taken to a huge long list of character subforums for each character. Sure, there's stickies and topics for general character discussion under that, but the character-specific subforums are utterly OBVIOUS. Plus, you would EXPECT to find character subforums separated under that link. Now let's compare that to the competitive discussion subforum. First of all, not everyone is going to EXPECT to find it hidden away as a subforum inside the "General Discussion" forum, so they might not even think to look there. I didn't at first, I just assumed there WASN'T a subforum dedicated to competitive discussion yet. And then there's the issue of visibility once you're inside the General Discussion page. Competitive Discussion isn't part of a big, obvious list of subforums, like the character pages. Instead, it's sitting right at the top all by its lonesome. It looks basically like one of the stickied threads. And who would expect to find the whole competitive subforum essentially stickied at the top another subforum? Maybe you would, but a LOT OF PEOPLE won't.

Also, what do you mean that it "doesn't warrant a higher status now"? Literally the FULL GAME is released already. More than a million copies have been sold, and there are TONS of English-speaking gamers playing the Japanese version. Not to mention the thousands playing the demo, with MANY more than that ready to join this weekend when the demo debuts to everyone. Are you implying that the subforum is intentionally hidden for now, and should be promoted to a more visible spot when the English release hits? How in the world do you justify that?
And there are also starting to discuss the competitive rules for the game (this thread right here: http://smashboards.com/threads/competitive-smash-ruleset-discussion.368605/#post-17595539 )

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Hi.

We started with a subforum rather than a main one just due to the volatile nature of the game "competitively" right now. We also have different standards to this board than any other we've done before.

We don't want it spammed.
We don't want it full of people new to the game stifling the discussion for people who know what they're talking about (as elitist or whatever as that sounds, I'd rather there be a platform of smashboards that exists for high level players in an open environment rather than forcing them off here to go to facebook to avoid the general populace like they have in the past).

It would probably get "promoted" in a short period of time, but we're still working on how we're going to structure the competitive side of Smash 4, so for the interim this current scenario for the board seemed the fairest.

Thank you for your thoughts though.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom