• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Please help me not suck so much T.T (Video)

Viking Ness

Smash Journeyman
Lol, those are the loudest controllers I've ever heard.

Anyways, the first thing I notice is that you have pretty sloppy wavedashes. You can do them somewhat consistently, but they are consistently sloppy. Work on dodging quicker so it will look like a smooth wavedash.

The next thing is that you dash attack too much. Now this seemed to work against your friend but most decent players will realize what you're doing and sheild grab you or wavedash backwards and punish your lag. So try not to make a habit of doing it so much.

The last thing I noticed is that you should probably fair more. It's a really useful move and is practically spammable. (I think?)

But you have needle camping down pretty solid. Thats pretty useful to have.

And also send your friend to the falco boards. I'm sorry but he needs lots and lots of improvements.

Tadgh

Smash Rookie
Ok, by sloppy do you mean that I don't air-dodge fast enough? Because if that is the problem i'm sure I can practice it away. And yeah, I know what you mean about the dash attacks, I just don't know how to position myself for any tilts, I just can't find ways to get into position without getting smashed. Also I'm not really much of a short-hopper, so its hard to get aerials in.

Yeah I also normally tend to sex kick too much when i should be f-airing.

Thanks for the needle-camping thing though. My brother hates that >.>

Anything else that I could do to improve?

Guess it dosent help that I don't really know many combos at all.

Thanks for the reply.

Viking Ness

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, airdodge quicker. Watch some of the skilled players' videos and see what their WDs look like. (Drephen, Marcus, Captain Jack... etc.) It should look like sheik crouches and slides, not moving up then down. You'll see what I mean after watching some vids.

And against space animals, I like to use L canceled down airs as combo starters. Depending on the amount of damage and their DI, you can either get them into some nice tilt combos (Utilt, Utilt, Ftilt, Fair) or go right to an aerial. Stuff like that.

Shorthopping is definately useful but its hard with sheik to master. But you should be able to fast fall aerials quick enough, at least against your brother. A fun mind game is to single jump some fast fall fairs, then jump at him like you're going to do it again, but double jump and fast fall into a fair. Little things like that can work as mindgames

NeighborhoodP

Smash Hero
Short hop. Seriously. Short hop to needles, short hop to lcanceled fair to punch.

Spacing.

That Falco is absolutely horrendous.

Your approach is non-existent. This ties in with short hopping. Learn the distance when Falco can't get the edge and ledge hog. Edge guard better. Tilt more. Punch more. Short hop more.

Wtf, short hop.

Tadgh

Smash Rookie
Ok, well I've been incorporating that mind game, and it works wonders. I've also been practicing my wavedash, and yeah i can notice the difference now. Thanks alot. Still problems with short-hopping though, eungh. also, I always thought the Dair was useless, but its actually not bad at all against falco/fox.

One problem i'm having is ledge hopping to back airs. do you just press back, do the aerial, then jump again? or press back, jump, and then aerial, then Up + B back to stage. Because I watch videos of people going way far off the edge, kicking, and still managing to return, and i dont understand how it's done. The furthest I can go is not far at all. I feel like theres a big lag after i Bair. Any tips?

Mcscruff

Smash Ace
The falco is disgusting. Now that I got that out of the way, this is what you should improve on:
Learn to wavedash better, your wavedashes do seem rather sloppy.

Space better.

GRAB. GRAB A LOT.
From grab, tech chase. To tech chase you can down throw (or up throw) then follow his techs. From there you can grab again, or down smash.

Needle more, a lot more.

Edgeguard better. Once you get falco off the edge, he shouldn't come back. you can needle his firefox (or whatever its called). you can fair or b-air him when he comes to the stage or towards the edge. you nair his phantasm. Or you could even use the chain (not a good choice, highly risky. Only use when you feel spicy.) And one of the best choices in edgeguarding falco, is too simply edgehog.

Thats pretty much all you need to work on (against falco). And above all, please get a better falco to train with. The better the opponent you train with, the faster you shall progress.

Tadgh

Smash Rookie
What exactly does space better mean? Control the space between me and him better?

Oh, and he's the only person I have to practice with >_<. Noone really plays where I live.

Yeah, I've started to tech chase too. Its just hard to predict where it's going. Is there any way of being able to follow it if you guess the wrong direction? I've tried dashdancing but I'm not that good at it.

dyeout

Smash Cadet
No offence but i have to agree with Mcscruff about the falco,i think a lv 9 plays better.{He needs work}

Now onto you,don't think am a bad person or anything but i couldn't bear watching that video.

Firstly you approach really sucks{Am going to be hasrh,sorry but i really wanna help} If that was a decent falco you would be 4 stocked.

Good approach consist of good to great shorthopping,wavedashing and l cancelling with a few needles in there.
Tech. like shffl fair then grab are all good approachs,are risk sometimes but with a needle to break the guard first will work great.

Think of some more am too lazy

WAvedashing is very important especially in combo point of view.You should practise it alot.You only use it to slide allow the stage.

Grabbing,you don't do much .Sheik has like one of the best grabbs in the game."Use it"

Jump cancelling grab: Used to chain throw,though sheik can chain throw the space animal she can tech case grab using jump cancel grap"this punishes alot"

D.I You don't D.I at all.

ecstatic

Smash Journeyman
Within 8,000 miles of you, unless you're in space.
I agree (for the most part) with the above posters, but I REALLY want to stress the grabbing. Sheik's grabs are exetremely uber. In fact, as long as you don't get predicable, you can go grab-happy if you want. They're perfect combo set ups. After the chain-throwing, you can start following up a dthrow pretty much any way imaginable. Dsmash, aerials, tilt combos, etc.

Viking Ness

Smash Journeyman
Ok, well I've been incorporating that mind game, and it works wonders. I've also been practicing my wavedash, and yeah i can notice the difference now. Thanks alot. Still problems with short-hopping though, eungh. also, I always thought the Dair was useless, but its actually not bad at all against falco/fox.

One problem i'm having is ledge hopping to back airs. do you just press back, do the aerial, then jump again? or press back, jump, and then aerial, then Up + B back to stage. Because I watch videos of people going way far off the edge, kicking, and still managing to return, and i dont understand how it's done. The furthest I can go is not far at all. I feel like theres a big lag after i Bair. Any tips?
Which mindgame? The empty jumping? (empty jumping means jumping w/out using an attack during it) If thats what you mean, than I'm glad it's working for you. Keep it up because if you can do it well enough, you should be able to carry it through to competitive play against more skilled players.

And short hopping is one of the hardest things to master with sheik I think. I've been playing her for a month or so and I still don't have it down 100%. Just keep at it.

L-Cancelled Dairs can be extremely useful as a combo starter, especially against space animals. (Shffl'd dair, to up tilt, up tilt, f tilt, f tilt... etc. This can be incredible against your brother if he doesn't DI very well, or at all.) Just make sure you're not spamming it and becoming predictable.

And the ledgehopped Bair is extremely useful too once you get the hang of it. In most situations you're going to press away from the ledge to let go, jump and do the aerial as fast as you can after jumping. If you time the jump fast enough after letting go, you should jump almost directly out from the ledge, and not fall very far at all. DI out from the stage until you reach the peak of the jump then start DIing back towards the stage. If you timed the jump fast enough, you should have jumped high enough to return to the ledge without having to up B recover. If not, then try to recover with the up B and grab before the explosion.

Again, you won't get these techniques on the first try. NeighborhoodP says it best by saying that you shouldn't just practice a move until you get it right, practice until you can't get it wrong.

Tadgh

Smash Rookie
Ok, well I'm gonna get to work and post another video within a couple of weeks or so. We'll see if I've improved or not :p

Thanks guys.

Any more criticisms are appreciated

Top Bottom