• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Please close this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ereki

Smash Cadet
Your best bet is to actually think of how you would like to play. No, I don't mean 'I want to win' as that. If you're the type of player who likes using a Sweeper, like Sonic, then your best bet is sticking with him, or finding another character like him.

If you like playing where you have an All-Round aspect to your character, then perhaps you should look elsewhere. I could suggest Lucario, since he has an alright game in regards to offense and having a decent, yet somewhat punishable counter.

And of course, the powerhouse can just go without saying.

Even still, I would suggest your main be Sonic, or a secondary, at least. He can be good, despite the lack of priority, but it's still too early to give up when there's still so much being discovered.

popo12

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nucleotyde
3DS FC
1977-0411-3918
I wouldn't stop maining him, but it wouldn't hurt to pick up a better character as a secondary. I think that a lot of the melee pros that used low tier characters always had a Marth or somebody for tournaments.

pyrblaze

Smash Rookie
although I started out using sonic as my main; I would definitely pick up someone else, maybe not as a main...I would say stick with Sonic, but just as Ereki suggested, take a step back and contemplate on how you want to play. I'll give a nice big Kudos for anyone who can master the blue blur.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
my main will always be sonic but if the guy tries to counter pick, i have luc, wolf, D3 and kirby to fall back on. its always good to play different chars. the losing gets to me sometimes and sometimes i just get tired of playing the same char. no matter how cool he is. thats when i cycle through all of my alts. than im good for another hour of straight sonic play

darkNES386

Smash Lord
Boxob, I really think we're starting to see Sonic's potential more and more everyday. I know that sounds silly after watching a bunch of sonic dittos... but I don't think you should throw in the towel yet.

I really want to start branching out and playing more people who don't use sonic and see how much my sonic has improved.

^^^^^^^^^^^^
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=4205243#post4205243

Uncle Fitzy

Smash Journeyman
You don't need to abandon him. I've realized that Sonic isn't the best character either but it doesn't stop me from playing him. Just pick up subs or another main and you should do fine. I'm maining Sonic, Meta Knight, Diddy Kong and Falco. I have a couple subs too.

Seventh Sword

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1951-0055-5151
Sonic happens to be the character I have most trouble fighting >_> Once you fight somebody who can actually use him, you'll start to see how good he can become.

Fat Otaku

Smash Apprentice
There is nothing more that makes me happy, then getting a kill with Sonic. Why? Because it is HARD. However I still use DDD and Wolf. Namely because Wolf has a very well rounded game. Sonic will eat it hard from time to time. Pikachu and Ice Climbers give me more trouble then I would ever like. Play around with Sonic when you get bored of your other character, and go back to that character when you get bored of Sonic.

BananaNut

Smash Journeyman
I know what ya mean man. When I play the speeding garbage (sonic) against my buddies (who main pit and lucas. Argh) The match often ends up very close, but I seem to loose because I misjudge priority.

It really doesn't annoy me that much, because my freinds realize that's it is an uphill battle for me, and they also realize how GOOD of a sonic player I acctually am since I put up such a fight.

Adamated

Smash Apprentice
That's a good song man..."should i stay or should I go"......

ummm....

I am considering the same but not a seriously, from my game battles experience, sonic has a hard time doing much of anything against a lot of characters....I got beat by a wario >.>....... Definately consider it but never give sonic up completely.

Lord_Naomasa

Smash Apprentice
I am an Ike player (very skilled with Ike) and I have trouble with sonic if they play him well. He's extremely fast and can control a match well. I have also fought sonic noobs who just roll dash at me and I counter or smash attack them. Its about combos and staying on your opponent and you can own a match with sonic. I may not play sonic but this is what I have seen when I've played against him.

R4ZE

Smash Ace
listen man, this is a war. Sonic vs the world! just which side are you on?

cuzz i mean, u can gtfo if your with them.

haha

But srsly... sonic is way to cool compared to the other characters. It's not like roy is still in the game..

"when life gives you pies, You whip yourself up a nice tall glass of Pie-mo-nade"

Ace55

Smash Lord
That's a good song man..."should i stay or should I go"......

I got beat by a wario >.>.......QUOTE]

Of course you got beat by Wario. In my experience (only been playing since Saturday)Wario's best matchup would be against Sonic.

But it still seems that Sonic has a lot of potential. It's just that you have to play him in a completely different way than any other character out there. And that's what makes him so difficult to master.

Probably never gonna main him (W.A.R.I.O!!!) but I'll try to at least develope some skills with him (just because he's so cool).

SketchHurricane

Smash Ace
But it still seems that Sonic has a lot of potential. It's just that you have to play him in a completely different way than any other character out there. And that's what makes him so difficult to master.
This is the exact reason Sonic is my secondary at the moment. He plays so differently that he is a good character to switch styles on the opponent. D3 is my main, imagine going from fighting him, to Sonic, back to him - totally different games right there. Actually, at the next tourney I plan to main Sonic as long as I win and fall back on D3, and that will give me an indication if I should stick with Sonic or not.

But my advice to the poster is the same as everyone else: Dont give up on Sonic, just get a secondary or make him your secondary and see who that works out for you.

Shoop70

Smash Apprentice
I still think it is difficult to judge just what Sonic will be able to do...I'd stick with him if you find him fun. If not, I'd just use him as a secondary or something and find a character you actually enjoy playing as.

ithrowthings

Smash Lord
NNID
ithrowthings
Sonic is still good in tournaments, he just takes more practice. Not to mention we don't know much about the actual dynamics of brawl yet. There are new crazy techniques and tactics being found every day. I'm going to 1 or 2 tournaments a week and pulling in decent prizes with sonic.

Browny

Smash Hater
This is the exact reason Sonic is my secondary at the moment. He plays so differently that he is a good character to switch styles on the opponent. D3 is my main, imagine going from fighting him, to Sonic, back to him - totally different games right there. Actually, at the next tourney I plan to main Sonic as long as I win and fall back on D3, and that will give me an indication if I should stick with Sonic or not.

But my advice to the poster is the same as everyone else: Dont give up on Sonic, just get a secondary or make him your secondary and see who that works out for you.
lol i main ness whos probably equal slowness as dedede, after playing sonic for so long it made brawl feel like a different game altogether. suddenly running grabs, combos and short-hop tactics are all gone in favour of camping, spam (MORE PK fire) and the occasional PKT2 for instant KO. Makes the game feel far less skillful and rewarding imo

Station

Smash Cadet
I used to main Sonic, i moved on to Toon Link though and i'm doing MUCH better. I'd suggest using Sonic against people you know you can beat otherwise use a character you're good with. I love Sonic as a character, but not a character in Brawl, his movesets are too bland for me and don't offer enough variety. I used to get pwnt by a friend all the time when i mained Sonic, i switched to Toon Link and practiced for a while and all of a sudden i'm winning half our matches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom