• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Playtime's over, Mini Kangaroo Hops on into Smash!

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I'm thinking about drawing a redesign of Mini Kangaroo but in modern Mario style. Maybe I should use the 3d world art as a reference?

The 3D World art is actually more of a throwback to the old style of Mario art, but it looks really great so I think you should use it as a reference.

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
Just made a Mini Kangaroo roster icon for the roster maker. When I finish the redesign drawing I'll make an icon for it too.

Crawful

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4983-5238-2711
I love me some super obscure characters, and if Mini Kangaroo gets in, I will be pleased.
I'm still hoping for Diskun or Sukapon, though.

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
Do you all think Mini-Kangaroo would fight like Roger Jr.?
Maybe for a few tilt attacks and her pummel. We already have an actual boxer and I think she would be better suited if she used as much Nintendo toys as possible for her move set. A Roger & Roger Jr color palette for her and the joey would be awesome though.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Maybe for a few tilt attacks and her pummel. We already have an actual boxer and I think she would be better suited if she used as much Nintendo toys as possible for her move set. A Roger & Roger Jr color palette for her and the joey would be awesome though.
Yeah, that could work too. Personally, I can see her as maybe Nintendo's answer to Namco's Roger (and Roger Jr., of course.) and a Roger and Roger Jr. palette swap would be hilarious!:laugh:

Last edited:

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
So I was looking to gather any info on kangaroo characters in Mario games or spin offs so I could use that character as a reference so I can make a redesign for Mini Kangaroo and I stumbled upon this....

Then I've found an Atari game called Kangaroo that was a Donkey Kong clone. Some monkey's kidnapped The mother kangaroo's baby and you have to rescue him/her.

Of course all of this can be unrelated to Mini Kangaroo, especially the Atari Kangaroo. I'm just brainstorming before I draw anything. Seriously though, that Kangaroo from Yoshi's Island DS....look at that giant pouch. Yoshi also replaces the joey that was originally in the pouch when you ride in there.

Last edited:

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
Sorry for double post.

Here's what I did so far. Just a simple pose of a redesign of Mini Kangaroo. I cleaned the sketch up a bit. I'll draw the line art next and I'll draw some more sketches after. I'm open for suggestions for her look. I added boxing gloves as the only clothing she wears that are basically blue versions of Mac's boxing gloves. Maybe she should wear white gloves or no gloves at all?

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Sorry for double post.

Here's what I did so far. Just a simple pose of a redesign of Mini Kangaroo. I cleaned the sketch up a bit. I'll draw the line art next and I'll draw some more sketches after. I'm open for suggestions for her look. I added boxing gloves as the only clothing she wears that are basically blue versions of Mac's boxing gloves. Maybe she should wear white gloves or no gloves at all?

Please.:p Keep the boxing gloves.:laugh:

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
I was thinking more in something like this:

No wheels of course :p (maybe).
That looks cute. I'll try drawing a mini kangaroo version of this next.

It's so adorable!:love:
Thanks.:wario:

Here's a roster icon I made for the redesign I did.

I'll do the same for the other one I'm doing from the pic Sobreviviente posted.

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
@ Brickbuild101 Brickbuild101 you can thank me for reviving this thread and I can say that I wholeheartedly support this character. It's the best and last option of a hardware character that I feel Sakurai would think about for the future.

And I'm currently nominating her in the Rate Their Chances thread at the moment.

Last edited:

Magikarpow

Smash Journeyman
I would really enjoy her, it would be a very cool throwback.

Here's a moveset! :smirk: Took a lot of research!

Speed: Quite Slow
Air Speed: Medium Fast
First Jump: Low
Second: High

Overview: A lot of Mini Kangaroo moves aren't very fast, and Mini Kangaroo isn't fast either. So, she must rely on stage control to defeat her opponents. Because of her projectiles, Chibitori's, and mines, she can force her opponents into situations they don't want to be in. She has some quirky moves up her sleeve.
In the animations her Joey hands her the items extremely quickly as she uses them. He gets them from her pouch.

Jab: Mini Kangaroo punches forward twice, then the Joey keeps punching, which can be chained infinitely. 3% 4% 1% per hit
F-Tilt: Mini Kangaroo does a quick uppercut swipe with the Picture Cutter. 8%
U-Tilt: Mini Kangaroo squeezes an airpump from Dynamic Soccer, putting a powerful windbox upwards. Does do melee damage. 7%
D-Tilt: Mini Kangaroo swipes forward with one of the hammers from the Bee Game. 9%
Dash: Mini Kangaroo dashes forward and does a belly flop. 13% Strong, but end lag as Mini Kangaroo gets up.

Fair: Mini Kangaroo launches a small plastic triangle forward. It acts somewhat like villagers slingshot, however does considerable more damage. It also flies farther, but it flies in a slight arch rather than a straight line. 8% (This move is from "Hopping Game")
Bair: Mini Kangaroo swings around and slams the staff from Space Ball into the opponent. 14%
Dair: Mini Kangaroo tosses down a large piece of honeycomb from the Bee Game. It doesn't travel very far, and works as a weak meteor smash. 11%
Uair: Mini Kangaroo pulls out the Challenge Dice and holds it above her head. 10%

Up Smash: Mini Kangaroo sets up a Jumping Bottle. When the button is released half of the bottle is shot upwards. It flies higher depending on how long you hold down the button. 14-20% (Works similarly to Snake's Up Smash)
Side Smash: Mini Kangaroo swings the bat from the Ultra Machine. It reflects projectiles. Unlike Ness's Bat, it does more damage at the base, rather than the tip.
Head: 18-25%
Base: 24-30%
Down Smash: Mini Kangaroo slams down the two pendulums from the Love Tester on either side of her. They deal electricity damage.
16-22%

Grab: Mini Kangaroo extends the Ultra Hand forward, pulling the opponent to you quickly. This can be used as a tether recovery, like Link and Samus's grab. It does 7% damage as a Zair.

Pummel: While the Mother holds the opponent the Joey slaps them. 3%
Up Throw: The Power Lift lifts the opponent up and then flings them away . 7%
F-Throw: Mini Kangaroo slaps the person forward with a flipper from Hockey Game. 5% - It doesn't do much damage, but it can KO at around 135%.
B-Throw: Mini Kangaroo spins around once and throws her opponent. 6%
D-Throw: Mini Kangaroo slams the opponents into the ground. She then grinds gears from Gear Grind all over the opponent, doing some serious damage and then flinging them away. 10%

Neutral B - Ultra Machine - Mini Kangaroo prepares the Ultra Machine and fires baseballs at the opponent. You can slightly adjust the trajectory depending on where you move the control stick. 10%
Up B- Hopping Launch -Mini Kangaroo is launched upwards by the launch pads from the "Hopping Game". It launches Mini Kangaroo in a diagonal angle, and does a slight damage to whomever she touches. It can be held down to shoot Mini Kangaroo farther. 3%
Down B- Time Bomb -Mini Kangaroo sets down a small disk object on the floor. Whenever a person nears it, it explodes into a bunch of small orange pieces. (From Time Shock) After a while it will explode nonetheless. It's great for controlling the stage, however only one can be out at a time. It will not explode when Mini Kangaroo walks by, but the explosion can still damage her if it does happen to explode near her. 13%
Side B- Chiritorie - Mini Kanagaroo sets down a Chiritorie, a small red robot. It patrols the stage, doing slight damage to the touch. Since the Chiritorie is a vacuum, it will suck in any items or projectiles it encounters, including Ultra Machine baseballs. If the Chiritorie comes across a mine it will not destroy it or cause it to explode. It disappears after a short patrol. 4%

Final Smash: Bee Hive Game - Mini Kangaroo teleports any characters directly in front of her into a cutscene where they are on a small platform made out of honeycomb. The opponent(s) are now tiny, and Mini Kangaroo and her Joey take hammers and began smacking different blocks on the Honey Comb. After the cutscene ends the opponents are launched away. It deals 42% damage.

Taunt 1: The Joey starts playing Space Ball. After a second, he puts it away.
Taunt 2: Mini Kangaroo quickly makes herself a cotton candy, then eats it.
Taunt 3: The Joey takes out the Challenge Dice and stares at it confused for a moment.

Win 1: Joey hops out of his mom's pouch and they dance happily.
Win 2: Mini Kangaroo laughs uncontrollably as the Chitori cleans her.
Win 3: Joey pulls tons of random toys out of her pouch, then look at the camera.

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I would really enjoy her, it would be a very cool throwback.

Here's a moveset! :smirk: Took a lot of research!

Speed: Quite Slow
Air Speed: Medium Fast
First Jump: Low
Second: High

Overview: A lot of Mini Kangaroo moves aren't very fast, and Mini Kangaroo isn't fast either. So, she must rely on stage control to defeat her opponents. Because of her projectiles, Chibitori's, and mines, she can force her opponents into situations they don't want to be in. She has some quirky moves up her sleeve.
In the animations her Joey hands her the items extremely quickly as she uses them. He gets them from her pouch.

Jab: Mini Kangaroo punches forward twice, then the Joey keeps punching, which can be chained infinitely. 3% 4% 1% per hit
F-Tilt: Mini Kangaroo does a quick uppercut swipe with the Picture Cutter. 8%
U-Tilt: Mini Kangaroo squeezes an airpump from Dynamic Soccer, putting a powerful windbox upwards. Does do melee damage. 7%
D-Tilt: Mini Kangaroo swipes forward with one of the hammers from the Bee Game. 9%
Dash: Mini Kangaroo dashes forward and does a belly flop. 13% Strong, but end lag as Mini Kangaroo gets up.

Fair: Mini Kangaroo launches a small plastic triangle forward. It acts somewhat like villagers slingshot, however does considerable more damage. It also flies farther, but it flies in a slight arch rather than a straight line. 8% (This move is from "Hopping Game")
Bair: Mini Kangaroo swings around and slams the staff from Space Ball into the opponent. 14%
Dair: Mini Kangaroo tosses down a large piece of honeycomb from the Bee Game. It doesn't travel very far, and works as a weak meteor smash. 11%
Uair: Mini Kangaroo pulls out the Challenge Dice and holds it above her head. 10%

Up Smash: Mini Kangaroo sets up a Jumping Bottle. When the button is released half of the bottle is shot upwards. It flies higher depending on how long you hold down the button. 14-20% (Works similarly to Snake's Up Smash)
Side Smash: Mini Kangaroo swings the bat from the Ultra Machine. It reflects projectiles. Unlike Ness's Bat, it does more damage at the base, rather than the tip.
Head: 18-25%
Base: 24-30%
Down Smash: Mini Kangaroo slams down the two pendulums from the Love Tester on either side of her. They deal electricity damage.
16-22%

Grab: Mini Kangaroo extends the Ultra Hand forward, pulling the opponent to you quickly. This can be used as a tether recovery, like Link and Samus's grab. It does 7% damage as a Zair.

Pummel: While the Mother holds the opponent the Joey slaps them. 3%
Up Throw: The Power Lift lifts the opponent up and then flings them away . 7%
F-Throw: Mini Kangaroo slaps the person forward with a flipper from Hockey Game. 5% - It doesn't do much damage, but it can KO at around 135%.
B-Throw: Mini Kangaroo spins around once and throws her opponent. 6%
D-Throw: Mini Kangaroo slams the opponents into the ground. She then grinds gears from Gear Grind all over the opponent, doing some serious damage and then flinging them away. 10%

Neutral B - Ultra Machine - Mini Kangaroo prepares the Ultra Machine and fires baseballs at the opponent. You can slightly adjust the trajectory depending on where you move the control stick. 10%
Up B- Hopping Launch -Mini Kangaroo is launched by the launch pads from the "Hopping Game". It launches Mini Kangaroo in a diagonal angle, do slight damage to whomever she touches. It can be held down to shoot Mini Kangaroo farther. 3%
Down B- Time Bomb -Mini Kangaroo sets down a small disk object on the floor. Whenever a person nears it, it explodes into a bunch of small orange pieces. (From Time Shock) After a while it will explode nonetheless. It's great for controlling the stage, however only one can be out at a time. It will not explode when Mini Kangaroo walks by, but the explosion can still damage her if it does happen to explode near her. 13%
Side B- Chiritorie - Mini Kanagaroo sets down a Chiritorie, a small red robot. It patrols the stage, doing slight damage to the touch. Since the Chiritorie is a vacuum, it will suck in any items or projectiles it encounters, including Ultra Machine baseballs. If the Chiritorie comes across a mine it will not destroy it or cause it to explode. It disappears after a short patrol. 4%

Final Smash: Bee Hive Game - Mini Kangaroo teleports any characters directly in front of her into a cutscene where they are on a small platform made out of honeycomb. The opponent(s) are now tiny, and Mini Kangaroo and her Joey take hammers and began smacking different blocks on the Honey Comb. After the cutscene ends the opponents are launched away. It deals 42% damage.

Taunt 1: The Joey starts playing Space Ball. After a second, he puts it away.
Taunt 2: Mini Kangaroo quickly makes herself a cotton candy, then eats it.
Taunt 3: The Joey takes out the Challenge Dice and stares at it confused for a moment.

Win 1: Joey hops out of his mom's pouch and they dance happily.
Win 2: Mini Kangaroo laughs uncontrollably as the Chitori cleans her.
Win 3: Joey pulls tons of random toys out of her pouch, then look at the camera.
Sakurai seriously needs to take some notes of this moveset. Has a great balance of minigames/tous and kangaroo badassery in one package. I actually was thinking of the Chitori Special a while ago since it would be a great way of simply disarming any projectiles, making her the average Pac-Man player's worst nightmare.

Magikarpow

Smash Journeyman
Sakurai seriously needs to take some notes of this moveset. Has a great balance of minigames/tous and kangaroo badassery in one package. I actually was thinking of the Chitori Special a while ago since it would be a great way of simply disarming any projectiles, making her the average Pac-Man player's worst nightmare.
Thanks! I thought he would be a unique character design to have someone who is lacking in strength but can practically control the stage. I feel as it could use adjustments but I appreciate the support.

Whenever I'm bored I make movesets for obscure characters, and I took Mini Kangaroo as a personal challenge lol

smashkirby

Smash Hero
@ Brickbuild101 Brickbuild101 you can thank me for reviving this thread and I can say that I wholeheartedly support this character. It's the best and last option of a hardware character that I feel Sakurai would think about for the future.

And I'm currently nominating her in the Rate Their Chances thread at the moment.
I feel the same way. MAYBE except for Daitoryo, who I feel could be a summoning-type character. Think of Yugi in the JUMP Stars games. Aside from him, I feel that Mini-Kangaroo is the only other option for a pre-video game character. She could basically be Smash's answer to Tekken's Roger Jr. I've said this in the past, specifically pre-Smash 4's release, but she and her son could have the delicious irony of having a Roger Jr.-style pallette swap.

Thanks! I thought he would be a unique character design to have someone who is lacking in strength but can practically control the stage. I feel as it could use adjustments but I appreciate the support.

Whenever I'm bored I make movesets for obscure characters, and I took Mini Kangaroo as a personal challenge lol
This moveset is awesome! Though I'd add a few more "physical" attacks for them. Maybe like those cartoon gags you'd see on Looney Tunes with Hippety Hopper.

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
This is probably the best choice for a new "retro character" now that pretty much all the bases are covered. The only retro choice I'd like to see more than this is Diskun, and I don't see him (her?) working. I'd be elated to see Mini Kangaroo make it!

That being said, I'd want the character to keep as basic a design as possible. All these realistic kangaroo designs or the ones with weird prominent eyes and boxing gloves just throw me off. Would much rather see the original logo just be 'updated', like keeping the dead, soulless, Ness-like eyes, and not adding too many (if any) extras all the while keeping the same blander color scheme to keep with the retro feel.

Last edited:

Magikarpow

Smash Journeyman
" This moveset is awesome! Though I'd add a few more "physical" attacks for them. Maybe like those cartoon gags you'd see on Looney Tunes with Hippety Hopper.

Thanks! I wasn't really focusing on physical attacks though, I was mostly trying to fit in as many Nintendo toys as possible into the character. I imagined her kinda like Villager or Game & Watch - pulling out particular items when she needs them.

Last edited:

Freduardo

Smash Champion
That would be a good stage though, for it's shoutout to Smash bros 64. (Could have the original 12 character plushies in the background too)
An actual multiplayer stage with Master Hand as the stage boss? I'm in.

Brickbuild101

Smash Lord
NNID
YouSeemFRAZZLED
Woah, I forgot I made this. Thanks for the revival.

I'm pretty sure I once read that the box for the Ultra-Hand in Australia featured it being used by a yellow kangaroo, so, that would be another cute and funny reason for it to be her grab.

Last edited:

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Maybe so. I just didn't know which gender to use, since I did not hear of her before. I still support, nonetheless.
I think it's technically a mother kangaroo and her joey. So it could be both.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Looks like I'll be adding this to my Roster Maker for the night. Currently redesigning my roster and this will be the perfect replacement for that Teleroboxer guy who I've lost interest in.

Mini Kangaroo for Smash! :awesome:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
And I thought I knew every Nintendo character. :L
And that's why she's the perfect hardware WTF choice for Smash. Everyone thinks of having a card mascot for Hanafuda representation or a Virtual Boy/VB character, but no one thought about the idea of a kangaroo mascot for Nintendo's early toys/inventions.

Brickbuild101

Smash Lord
NNID
YouSeemFRAZZLED
I imagine her sound effects and animations being very playful and childish, and that's obviously very cute. There's also the likeliness of her Ballot votes standing out and catching the attention of Sakurai or whoever goes through them.

And I thought I knew every Nintendo character. :L
I thought I did too before finding out about these kangaroos and Dion, Max, and Jack from Marvelous: Another Treasure Island. She's also kind of one of Nintendo's first characters.

Yeah this was the first one to make me got WTF in awhile.
Thank you. :smirk:

I thought it was a girl...:p
Male kangaroos don't have pouches, since the pouch is basically a womb on the outside of the kangaroo's body. So, it would be a she, then.

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Looks like I'll be adding this to my Roster Maker for the night. Currently redesigning my roster and this will be the perfect replacement for that Teleroboxer guy who I've lost interest in.

Mini Kangaroo for Smash! :awesome:
But...I like Harry...:c

Last edited:

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
The lack of "kangaroo kickboxing" in the movesets is slightly disappointing. I also think the joey could be used in puppeteering ways like Luma.

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
The lack of "kangaroo kickboxing" in the movesets is slightly disappointing. I also think the joey could be used in puppeteering ways like Luma.
Yeah, I thought the same thing. There should be more of that, and more of the joey helping out as well.

Top Bottom