• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PlayStation

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
I'm grabbing one of those cables this weekend for my Wii since I moved it to my living room and playing SD on an HD TV isn't pretty.

Also, great news: http://kotaku.com/5032712/pal-regions-get-uncharted-trophy-patch

This means that for any North American users, we should be getting it soon. I got this game on Ebay for about $30, but when I heard it would have trophies, I decided to wait for the trophies since they wouldn't be applied retroactively.

Also, anyone heard rumors of the FF7 for PS3? Evidently, Best Buy is advertising it as coming out on August 16, which no doubt is a gross misprint, but still the rumors seem to be getting stronger. Anyone have an interest in this remake?

Also, Final Fantasy XIII shows how odd multi-platforming gaming will be. Square-Enix is PORTING FF13 to the 360, and according to Kotaku, Square-Enix told the developers to focus on the PS3 first. Here is the problem, the PS3 game cannot be released in the US until the 360 version is ready; however, Japan is not getting the 360 version, so there is a chance they can get it way before NA does. Very odd situation.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
With the gross fanbase that FFVII has, making a remake would move so many consoles, its not even funny. I'm surprised they haven't done it yet. They could even make it suck, and it'd still sell.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Likely, Square-Enix doesn't want their biggest claim to fame to be FF7. Of course, with all the throwback to older games such as Mega Man 9, Bonic Commando: Rearmed, and whatever Konami rereleases, it could happen.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
It would be multi-platform
Of course, it would; however, that will not affect sales at all because look at FF13. It will be just PS3 in Japan per an agreement. The 360 has no presence in Japan, so likely, they wouldn't waste resources. The Wii won't get it because the graphics wouldn't be much better than PS2 level, and people who want a remake want pretty graphics since the gameplay was already there.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2008...ted-drake’s-fortune-trophy-patch-is-released/

This is really great! Looks like I'll be starting Unchartered tonight.

EC_Joey

Smash Lord
I bought a 60gb PS3 off Ebay three weeks ago. As most people who own a PS3 know, the 60gb model has the Emotion Engine CPU to run PS2 games without software emulation. Unfortunately, the seller sent me an 80gb model. I sent it back to exchange for the correct model. I received a second 80gb model. After contacting them again, I sent back the second PS3 and I'm now currently waiting for the right PS3 to come in the mail. In the meantime, I've done a bit of research online as to the advantages of the Emotion Engine compared to software emulation that the 80gb has.

While the backwards compatibility of the EE hardware allows for more games to be played than with software emulation, a friend told me that his friend said that software emulation allows for "better graphics" through allowing for higher resolution. I was certain that it was complete bull**** but I looked for answers anyway. I found this thread.

"The emotion engine chip only renders what it was meant to render and then the ps3 upconverts the image produced. I am talking about native rendering of the polygons at 720 or 1080. Textures would look the same just more defined lines."

It seems to me that there is little difference in video quality between the two methods because both are limited by how detailed the textures of the game are. Apart from that it seems like the only possible improvement from upconverting PS2 games would be "more defined lines".

By the way, this friend of my friend works at a GameStop and claims to be knowledgeable on all things concerning videogames and computers, as well as being very informed on topics and issues in the gaming community. Too bad I think he's full of it. Working at GameStop doesn't make you an expert, and while he does seem more informed than the average person, I'm under the impression that he has a habit of making bogus claims that he can't back up.

derek.haines

Smash Ace
One of the oddest things I've found about the PS3 so far is that it can play Playstation 3 and Playstation games with no problem, yet Playstation 2 games just got crapped on (despite all of the save functionality still being present). Not an issue, since I have a PS2 sitting right next to the PS3, but that it still played the originals threw me for a loop.

I imagine they could re-add the function through downloaded software emulation, but I doubt that they will. Still cool that I can randomly toss in the original GTA then GTA IV in succession.

fsdfsdgsgdf

Smash Champion
I bought a 60gb PS3 off Ebay three weeks ago. As most people who own a PS3 know, the 60gb model has the Emotion Engine CPU to run PS2 games without software emulation. Unfortunately, the seller sent me an 80gb model. I sent it back to exchange for the correct model. I received a second 80gb model. After contacting them again, I sent back the second PS3 and I'm now currently waiting for the right PS3 to come in the mail. In the meantime, I've done a bit of research online as to the advantages of the Emotion Engine compared to software emulation that the 80gb has.

While the backwards compatibility of the EE hardware allows for more games to be played than with software emulation, a friend told me that his friend said that software emulation allows for "better graphics" through allowing for higher resolution. I was certain that it was complete bull**** but I looked for answers anyway. I found this thread.

"The emotion engine chip only renders what it was meant to render and then the ps3 upconverts the image produced. I am talking about native rendering of the polygons at 720 or 1080. Textures would look the same just more defined lines."

It seems to me that there is little difference in video quality between the two methods because both are limited by how detailed the textures of the game are. Apart from that it seems like the only possible improvement from upconverting PS2 games would be "more defined lines".

By the way, this friend of my friend works at a GameStop and claims to be knowledgeable on all things concerning videogames and computers, as well as being very informed on topics and issues in the gaming community. Too bad I think he's full of it. Working at GameStop doesn't make you an expert, and while he does seem more informed than the average person, I'm under the impression that he has a habit of making bogus claims that he can't back up.
never trust ebay. I bet your gonna get another 80 gig back. He put 60 gig to make more money.

10chars or watever just so i dont get modded again -_-

EC_Joey

Smash Lord
never trust ebay. I bet your gonna get another 80 gig back. He put 60 gig to make more money.
That's what I thought at first, but this seller is a small company that deals in videogames and consoles, not a single person. Apparently the people responsible for packaging the items failed to check if the model # was correct. The packers probably assumed that all PS3s are the same.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I heard that Sony discontinued the 60g and that there's a bug that permanently shuts it down after a firmware update. I'm not 100% because I heard it from a friend that was desperate for a 60g around the beginning of summer.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
I heard that Sony discontinued the 60g and that there's a bug that permanently shuts it down after a firmware update. I'm not 100% because I heard it from a friend that was desperate for a 60g around the beginning of summer.
I've had mine since last March. I have never had an issue with any firmware updates. Even the one that had major issues.

EC_Joey

Smash Lord
Yeah that rumor sounds like crap. My PS3 should be delivered today... praying for a 60 this time.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Well like I said I heard it from a friend who seemed to be pretty desperate for a 60g so I thought he'd be more thorough in his research but then again he was the same guy that told me Crytek was going to release a Crysis for the Wii [there's actually an article about it but it's old and probably fake].

EC_Joey

Smash Lord
I got my 60gb PS3 today, updated the firmware to 2.42 first thing. No problems.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Again, post your PSN names and the PSN games (or online games you play), so we can get some type of community growing.

Uncharted is pretty much the best $30 you can spend right now. (If it's not greatest hits, get it on Ebay)

The game added trophies, and they are a blast to collect and the game play is so fun and crisp.

Ashamedly, I have not touched Metal Gear Solid 4 since I bought it. I will probably beat Uncharted, GTA 4, and Siren before returning to MGS4 because I have a feeling they are going to add trophies to it sooner or later, and I don't want to have to start over half way through.

primusfan

Smash Ace
Alrighty then.

My PSN name is AguyNamedBrad.

The game I play more than any other online is Call of Duty 4, but I also occasionly play Metal Gear Online. And my name for MGO is demented_brad.

Add me up and lets play some CoD!

EC_Joey

Smash Lord
My PSN name is Var5028.

I'm currently playing Drake's Fortune, trying to get those trophies.

Edit: CK is there something we can do to have a dedicated thread as a list of people's PSN information?

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
The trophies are a blast in Uncharted. I think I am only at 14%. The treasure ones I had to use a guide because they are so random.

Uh, I'd rather not. If someone could collect all the PSN ids, I can put it in the first page.

derek.haines

Smash Ace
The trophies are a blast in Uncharted. I think I am only at 14%. The treasure ones I had to use a guide because they are so random.

Uh, I'd rather not. If someone could collect all the PSN ids, I can put it in the first page.
I'm downloading the Uncharted demo right now, as I've been dying to give that game a shot of any sort since I picked up a PS3. Trophies have sweetened the deal considerably, but I'd still like to try before I buy.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
Edit: CK is there something we can do to have a dedicated thread as a list of people's PSN information?
Let me answer this for you as well. No. If we did that then we'd need a Wii Friend Code topic. Then we'd need a DS Friend Code topic. Then we'd need an Xbox Live Gamertag topic. Then we'd need a Steam ID topic. And so on. We've got the Smashboards Connected thread, which serves the purpose of all of those, but bundled into one lovely package!

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
As Variola pointed out to me, I do not have internet on my PS3 (no trophies I earned were saved to the server yet). Couldn't come at worse time because Qore issue 3 came out with the Resistance 2 beta and if you download the Home theme, you get a chance at an invite to the Home beta.

So, hopefully I'll have it up tomorrow.

EC_Joey

Smash Lord
I downloaded the Home theme earlier today, hopefully I'll get in on the beta. Supposedly they're supposed to be picking people to get in on the Home beta based on some kind of loyalty measurement, probably PSN activity.

derek.haines

Smash Ace
I downloaded the Home theme earlier today, hopefully I'll get in on the beta. Supposedly they're supposed to be picking people to get in on the Home beta based on some kind of loyalty measurement, probably PSN activity.
Guess I'm out then, having had the PS3 for all of a week and everything.

EC_Joey

Smash Lord
Taken from the Playstation Blog about the Playstation Home Beta:

"We will be using a variety of criteria including activity on the PlayStation Network to determine eligibility for the Beta community.

In Europe, SCEE is also beginning their expanded closed beta, directly targeting consumers who have been most active on PLAYSTATION Network and PLAYSTATION Store. SCEE will be in email contact with their PSN audience very shortly."

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Woo, I got $30 for Brawl, and I put it on LittleBigPlanet and Rock Band 2.

I am fighting every urge to get StarDust HD.

EC_Joey

Smash Lord
Preorders suck, but I'm doing it anyways for LittleBigPlanet for those goodies.

bored

Smash Ace
I didn't know Uncharted got trophies, I might have to check that out.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
47 normal + 1 platinum.

Variola, why would you hate pre-orders? All you are doing is paying for a game you were going to buy anyway and getting extra stuff sometimes. I usually pre-order when I have extra cash so either I don't feel it at all when I finish paying for the game, or I pick up the game without paying, and it feels free. I see nothing bad about them.

bored

Smash Ace
All the trophies seem to be the medals that you originally unlocked in the game. However, I do find unlocking trophies to be a bit more satisfying than achievements, sort of.

BentoBox

Smash Master
Bought myself a PS3/MGS4 :D. Bought Uncharted, God of War and MGS:Essentials so far and am currently going through MGS2 as it dawned upon me that I'd miss out on a lot if I didn't go through the first 3 iterations before playing the fourth. I can say I'm far from disappointed so far with my purchase. I'm thinking of picking up Warhawk or something later on, does anybody here play regularly on PSN?

EC_Joey

Smash Lord
47 normal + 1 platinum.

Variola, why would you hate pre-orders? All you are doing is paying for a game you were going to buy anyway and getting extra stuff sometimes. I usually pre-order when I have extra cash so either I don't feel it at all when I finish paying for the game, or I pick up the game without paying, and it feels free. I see nothing bad about them.
Pre-orders have turned the gaming retail industry into a dirty wh*re. Employees are required to get a certain number of pre-orders in a certain length of time. Apart from giving the store an idea of how many of a certain item they will need, pre-orders are a way for the industry to sneakily make money, because there are many people who don't follow up and purchase the game afterwards, like forgetful relatives who are buying the game as a gift for someone. The store basically gets a free $5 whenever someone doesn't follow up on a pre-order.

The fact that the gaming retail industry is aware of this free money they're getting, and that they are aggressively pressuring employees and customers to get pre-orders says something.

Top Bottom