• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PlayStation

Dapenda

Smash Champion
I'll probably end up buying one, when the price finally drops someday, but will still buy a Revolution. What a great plan for Nintendo, buy a Revolution while waiting a price drop for the other 2 systems or supplement a Revolution after the customer has already bought one of the other 2 systems.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
Mud Buddha said:
You can bet that it's speculation. Terrible, terrible speculation.
It was confirmed to be untrue.

Sony has set the NA release date for Blu-Ray players and DVD for March 23. A few weeks ago before the whole 'Hollywood thing' Sony said a delay for the PS3 would be caused by Blu-Ray. Was the piracy issue holding them up? We won't know for sure but seeing a new release date for Blu-Ray players coupled with the good news on the PS3s other parts could mean that the Spring release is a possibility.

In Japan of course.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
And according to GameSpot, the first Blu-Ray player being released on May 23rd will cost around $999. Movies will be $30 and $40.

solidsnake2234

Smash Journeyman
PSM magazine said that there wont be any memory cards,but hte PS3 is still backwards compatible but in order to save your PS1 and PS2 games you have to resave onto the system itself which will be using memory very much like the PSP

BACH

BRoomer
BRoomer
Omnigamer said:
Where are the conferences being streamed? I'd like to watch them myself.
i watch them on GameSpot.com - i think you need to be a GameSpot Complete member, i have been since they first had it/

Destiny Smasher

BRoomer
BRoomer
OK, I'm just going to completely ignore all the Playstation haters.
I love me my Nintendo to death--they've rarely let me down, and all of my most fav. games ever have always been Nintendo. So yea, I'm a Nintebdo fan, hardcore, have been for 10 years.

But I still like me some Playstation. Games like God of War and Shadow of the Colossus made me buy PS2 games when I didn't own a PS2 because I wanted to play them that badly.

And yea, Sony is all high and mighty right now, but I can't help but feel a weird feeling in my gut...
Something just doesn't seem right. The PS3 seems to look less and less enticing with every passing week.
Do they seriously think they're going to seel millions of $500 consoles when they are estimated to cost 800-900 dollars to MAKE? That's crazy.
I dunno. And all of this 'Spring release' crap?
Bull. It's all bull, if you ask me. No way they're releasing it this spring--nobody knows anything about it.
At least Nintendo is letting developers in on things, but it seems that people are developing games for the PS3 while Sony is leaving them in the dark.
Well, isn't THAT a good way to do things? >_>

I just get this feeling that Nintendo (who has been around for 20 years and basically started consol gaming as we know it) might know what they're talking about, and we may, in fact, be seeing a revolution in gaming very soon.
But revolutions are easy to start and hard to organize. If Nintendo can organize this well and fit all of their pieces into place, good things can happen.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
I was reading an article in a gaming magazine about consoles that never came out in Australia. Atari Jaguar, Neo Geo...and the 3DO. Why it failed was because of 2 things. First, Price tag. No one was going to pay the $700 (US) price tag for it, despite it being touted as "a multimedia system" and not as a game console. Second was, despite it being backed by Time Warner and EA, it had very mediocre games. It had need for speed, John Madden and Road Rash, but that was about it.

Anyone notice any similarities? Because they rather suprised me.

Zink

Smash Champion
sounds like a PS3-high price, multimedia system tag, dunno about sponsorship. But the 3DO didn't have blu-ray. We will have to wait and see.

Zink

Smash Champion
I think it was just a matter of time until it was official. But now it will be even better. Any guesses on how this might affect the price at launch?

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Something interesting. Well, rather lame, imo.

An official PSOne emulator will also be released for the PSP, but you'll require a PlayStation 3 to get this working officially.
I don't get how though, it's supposed to be able to. The CD's are alot bigger than the UMD discs, correct? Perhaps it's a feature of the PSP2? Or like Animal Crossing's NES games and the GBA, sending the game (though wirelessly this time) to the handheld, except needing the actual PS1 disc?

Chill

Red
BRoomer
Does anyone know how much data the memory card on the PSP can hold? Maybe when the game is in the PS3 you wirelessly send the game to the PSP where it is saved to the memory card. I don't how much information it can hold or how much the average PS game is comprised of.

EDIT: Sony has revealed tons of new information. It's too much for me to even list it all and I haven't gone through everything yet. Worldwide launch, Online info etc. Click Here.

Looks like E3 will be just about the games.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
Sony has revealed quite a bit of stuff. One thing being games will require a harddrive. Last E3 Sony said the PS3 wouldn't ship with a harddrive, so we'll have to see if that's changed. It looks like the smallest harddrive size offered will be 60GB as well.

The "Playstation Network Platform" will feature:
  • User registration
  • Login ID
  • Friends List
  • Voice and Video Chat
  • Messaging
  • Lobbies
  • Matchmaking
  • Score Ranking
  • Content download
  • Data upload-download
  • Online Shopping
  • Micro-payment
So it seems to offer everything Xbox Live does, minus downloadable arcade games. No price was announced, though Kutaragi said there will be a free version of the service available, not saying what will be left out for the free level. GameSpy will be helping Sony out with online.

Kutaragi went on to say that the PS3 concept is "4D" and games will finally be "live." The Xbox Live team's blog was quick to get a response to Kutaragi saying "Kutaragi-san, games have been "Live" since 2002. Please find your own buzzword, kthx."

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Sony has a good shot at being competition with XBox Live. That should push Live even harder now that they have competition.

I hope Sony can use this delay to boost alot of their stuff. Delays rarely mean anything bad, unless with games.

Zink

Smash Champion
noobish post alert!

I love all this online stuff. I mean, it's just really cool. look at 2000 games-no online stuff at all. Now look and we are going to have, let's see, messaging, downloadables, real-time play, voice chat, even VIDEO CHAT for crying out loud. Even if the PS3 bombs, which is unlikely, this will possibly be the coolest generation for online stuff ever- by next gen, the PS4 and all, things will probably be so different the online experience will be unlike anything we would recognize.

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
anyone as happy as me that the PS3 was delayed? my friend yelled "WHAT?!" when he heard about this. I am so happy this was delayed.:)

Chill

Red
BRoomer
commonyoshi said:
anyone as happy as me that the PS3 was delayed?
Yep. Japanese developers.

From Gamespot:
Konami: "It's very good that the release period has been clarified. It's important to release [a console] at the right timing when everything is prepared. We hope that the PS3 will expand progressively [through the market]. In terms of our development schedule, we think that the delay will give us enough time to make sure we deliver better quality in our games."

Square Enix: "It's being reported as a 'delay,' but the [PS3's] previously unknown release period has finally become clear, and we are very glad to hear it."

Capcom: "The hardware's release period has been set, so we will be throwing in our full effort to develop good games for it."

Koei: "It will be a major delay, but now that the release date has been decided, we can target it and make work on further quality improvements. We would like to polish up our products so that they will take full advantage of the PS3."

Bandai: "We are fundamentally receiving [the PS3's delay announcement] with a favorable view. Titles for the PS3 are currently in development."

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
I guess now people can have games ready for it's release.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
It's been confirmed now.

from IGN: an a QA session following the platform keynote address at GDC 2006 this morning, Sony Computer Entertainment Worldwide Studios President Phil Harrison confirmed what was heavily demanded for import gamers all over the world and yet previously thought unthinkable for a major corporation: the PS3 will be region-free for gaming.

The move was not unexpected, as SCE had previously mentioned considering the possibility of opening up the region structure for PS3 games recently (the newly-released PSP system has but does not use a region code system for games, but that's more a standard for portable games than a new development for region-free gaming.) The system is, amongst other things, hoped to help combat piracy - many import fans "chip" their consoles with region-free mod chips to play import games, and while that desire has some legitimacy, it also opens the doors for pirates to release illegal copies of games... Region-free gaming also allows game publishers to release games across the globe simultaneously, either through e-distribution or on disc. The capacity of Blu-Ray had previously been mentioned to allow for multiple languages of a game to be encoded onto the same massive-capacity disc.
Also, the release date has been changed ever so slightly to early November.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Woah, region free? That'll be interesting.

eDIT: Something that no one picked up on....

One piece of GDC news that temporarily flew under the PALGN radar involved an admission from Sony Worldwide Studios head Phil Harrison that gamers could expect to see a great deal more in-game advertising in PlayStation 3 games.

To underline his point, Harrison showed off an F1 game in which players can download extra tracks (at a price, presumably) from within the game. These extra tracks will be advertised in the game, something Harrison labelled as “product-to-service evolution.” Theoretically speaking then, it sounds as if software producers will also be able to "rent out" in-game space to companies interested in bandying their name about, with adverts streamed over the PlayStation Network Platform.

“We’re moving from a disc-based business to a network-based business, with more complex revenue streams,” proclaimed Harrison, before adding that “PlayStation Network Platform can augment the current business model with content downloads and episodic content. Games can have the same social currency as a great TV show, like Lost or 24.” He then went on to point out that "in-game advertising will play a significant role in PlayStation 3’s future."
Won't be so bad if it means cheaper games...but what's the bet they'll cost the same as 360 games?

Chill

Red
BRoomer
If it's only in racing games and the like, I'm fine with it. It feels real there. As long as there isn't a McDonalds in Ivalice it doesn't bother me. Like 360 games I think the price will be up to the makers of the game. Microsoft sells games for $50.

Here's an in-game screenshot from Lair which is currently set as a launch title for the PS3.

The shot from TGS for comparison.

In-game screenshot.

Looks like godzilla. :/

Zink

Smash Champion
^on steroids.
Ads? Noooo, I see where this is going. Every loading screen will have at least one ad. This was proclaimed by Decline of Video Games 2.

Paranoid_Android

Smash Lord
Am I missing something here, or will all next gen games be playing in second person view, looking from the best cinimatic standpoint rather than where it would be useful to the player. Or, more logically, this is a cinimatic screenshot?

Chill

Red
BRoomer
Remember those "Welcome Chang3" ads from last year? Well, Sony has some new ones now.

Hard to belive it's been a year already.

Aruun

BRoomer
BRoomer
I preferred the Welcome Chang3 posters.

Although they were a bit stupid for the PS3, seeing as nothing changed besides better graphics and a few added hardware functionalities. Whatever.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
Anybody else going to be watching Sony's Conference at 4pm (Pacific)? I'm curious as to how much they'll be talking about the PS3. Everywhere is saying "Don't expect a price or release date!" (same with the Wii), but I'm curious to see the new controller, perhaps a final console design (The current dev kit: http://media.ps3.ign.com/articles/705/705349/imgs_1.html makes it look like the console will be much bigger than the previous design shown), and of course, I want to see some real games.

Top Bottom