• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Playstation All-Stars Beta Response

DEHF

Smash Champion
NNID
larrlurr
Found a glitch on Sweet Tooth's level 1. I used Parappa's neutral O to hit Sweet Tooth when he activated his level 1. When he got pulled in I got killed as though his level 1 hit me, Sweet Tooth still had his meter as though his level 1 was never activated. The game was lagging pretty bad after that happened until the match ended.

Also, I think Sly is the best in the ffa right now, but I think he will be a lot worse in 1v1 play.

I think Radec will be the best in 1v1, Parappa will be second, and I think Kratos is the overall worse character in the game.

Something caused me to not be able to use any of my O moves with Fat Princess in one of my matches. I tried turning on and off my controller to see if that would fix it, but it didn't. I even went into the PS menu during match and was able to use my O button, so I doubt my controller had anything to do with it.

Jinkwai

Smash Apprentice
I think it's way too early to start making tier lists. And as of right now I still maintain that the characters seem too balanced for it to mean much.But yeah, I can't wait for tournys as well. We should setup a tourny for like a week or so after this game comes out.

I think this game rather deserves its own section on this site.

I'm curious. Why do you like this game more than Brawl?

Some things PSASBR already has over Brawl at least for me:

1. No tripping
2. Doesn't reward overtly defensive play.
3. No planking.
4. Fluid combo system.
5. Characters feel relatively balanced. Only a few Supers are arguably overpowered.
6. Representation of several franchises. Most of Brawl's cast has 2-4 characters from the same franchise.
7. Wifi is approximately a million times better already.
Oh I agree. Even though I ranked the characters, the balance among them is very good. Probably the best ever in a game like this.

To avoid listing a bunch of things, I just want to say that this game feels so much more viable for a competitive scene than any other smash game. They definitely looked at what was holding the smash series back and addressed those issues. The number of outside rules we need to make have been minimized. If things work out the way they seem, anybody could start a tournament with the game straight out of the box (with the exception of unlocked characters, of course.)

On another note, they need to update this beta quick, because reviewers are crucifying them due to the glitches.

zmx

Smash Lord
I'm curious. DEHF, Jink, what are you PSNs?

I want to see if I played you guys or not.

zmx

Smash Lord
Hmm that definitely rings a bell. I might have played you like 2 days ago. Mine is blaze19_0x.

For a moment I thought you might have been redskinrocks. That guy is insane with Sly Cooper. It's hard to punish what he does when people keep hitting you from behind.

DEHF

Smash Champion
NNID
larrlurr
Hmm that definitely rings a bell. I might have played you like 2 days ago. Mine is blaze19_0x.

For a moment I thought you might have been redskinrocks. That guy is insane with Sly Cooper. It's hard to punish what he does when people keep hitting you from behind.
There's no way, I started playing it yesterday LOL.

That's why I think he's the best ffa player, he can just run away and sneak attack. I think he'll be worse in 1v1 because he can't block or roll, unless I'm missing something about him.

Link360

Smash Cadet
I'm Elitezer, I think I played you a few matches ago DEHF. I normally only play Parappa and seem to lose only to Slys and FPs who use their Level 1s only.

zmx

Smash Lord
Oh I agree. Even though I ranked the characters, the balance among them is very good. Probably the best ever in a game like this.

To avoid listing a bunch of things, I just want to say that this game feels so much more viable for a competitive scene than any other smash game. They definitely looked at what was holding the smash series back and addressed those issues. The number of outside rules we need to make have been minimized. If things work out the way they seem, anybody could start a tournament with the game straight out of the box (with the exception of unlocked characters, of course.)

On another note, they need to update this beta quick, because reviewers are crucifying them due to the glitches.
I agree. Not only have they confirmed you can turn off items, but you can turn off stage hazards as well, something the next Smash game definitely needs.

-------------------------

There's no way, I started playing it yesterday LOL.

That's why I think he's the best ffa player, he can just run away and sneak attack. I think he'll be worse in 1v1 because he can't block or roll, unless I'm missing something about him.
Nope you are correct. He can't block, roll or even air dodge from what I've tested so far.

ATT: Jink

Superbot have already stated this is a very early build (same one from E3) which they only gave out to test out wifi. I'm sure most of these glitches are already fixed. It is just a beta after all even if it's the funnest beta I've played by far.

I.T.P

Smash Ace
Yes! I got a beta code from Sony by mail!

only played a few matches, but I practically decimated everyone there with 10-15 points, just as I expected, the key to winning in this game is playing hit and run, and catching as many players as you can with your level 1.

I tried Kratos, Sly, Fat Princess and Parappa. I really didn't like kratos, he was sloppy and sluggish, and builds meter really slowly. his level 1 was ok, but I really didn't have any chance to try and build more than that.

Fat Princess was really cute, she's quicker than I expected and has a lot of combo potential with her O moves, she's definitely on my site.

Sly was what I had expected him to be, minus the fluidity in combos, but I guess that comes over time. his invisibility is amazingly useful, and saved me from a lot of deaths.

Parappa has really short range and really akward movements, but I like the large hitbox on his Level 1, and his level 2 was pretty good as well.

hmmm...

Killer Instinct

Smash Rookie
Yes! I got a beta code from Sony by mail!

only played a few matches, but I practically decimated everyone there with 10-15 points, just as I expected, the key to winning in this game is playing hit and run, and catching as many players as you can with your level 1.

I tried Kratos, Sly, Fat Princess and Parappa. I really didn't like kratos, he was sloppy and sluggish, and builds meter really slowly. his level 1 was ok, but I really didn't have any chance to try and build more than that.

Fat Princess was really cute, she's quicker than I expected and has a lot of combo potential with her O moves, she's definitely on my site.

Sly was what I had expected him to be, minus the fluidity in combos, but I guess that comes over time. his invisibility is amazingly useful, and saved me from a lot of deaths.

Parappa has really short range and really akward movements, but I like the large hitbox on his Level 1, and his level 2 was pretty good as well.

hmmm...
What yours got a code? Some people (including me) got the email but received no code. your lucky you got the beta, you better play the hell out of the beta to make the people who didn't get it proud.

PDOT

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4871-5506-0357
So the general consensus is this is better than Brawl?

I didnt really like brawl though anyway

Link360

Smash Cadet
There needs to be a way to keep inactive players out of games, nothing ruins a 4 player FFA like an AP punching bag that sits there and does nothing.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Not gonna say this is better than Brawl until the full game comes out. If anything, one might say this is the competition to Smash 4, despite the fact Smash 4 will come out in 2-3 years time.

Link360

Smash Cadet
Radec's sticky grenades feel a little too easy to spam, maybe they'd be more balanced if they worked a bit more like Snake's grenades in Brawl, having to pull them out and lob them. Also, maybe this is me speaking too much from the perspective of a Parappa player but in relation to the durations of level 2 supers used by other characters, Parappa's feels pretty short for how hard to control and finicky it feels, especially compared to that of the Fat Princess, which lasts much longer and it much easier to control/use.

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
The fire on Sweet Tooth's head when it shows the ranking at the end of each match is always slightly to the left of his scalp, making it look like it isn't on fire. How far to the left it is varies, though it's always noticable.

Also, how do people feel about Fat Princess's O-moves? I find them way to sluggish to use during combos, so I usually just end up throwing neutral Os out there in hopes of hitting someone who isn't paying attention. lol

Jinkwai

Smash Apprentice
Not gonna say this is better than Brawl until the full game comes out. If anything, one might say this is the competition to Smash 4, despite the fact Smash 4 will come out in 2-3 years time.
Pretty much agreed, but let's face it. Smash 4 will likely be a better product, but less of a game.

Radec's sticky grenades feel a little too easy to spam, maybe they'd be more balanced if they worked a bit more like Snake's grenades in Brawl, having to pull them out and lob them. Also, maybe this is me speaking too much from the perspective of a Parappa player but in relation to the durations of level 2 supers used by other characters, Parappa's feels pretty short for how hard to control and finicky it feels, especially compared to that of the Fat Princess, which lasts much longer and it much easier to control/use.
Radec's stickies are very good, but I can't see them being too good outside of a FFA match. Also, I think there is a trick to controlling Parappa's lv 2, sort of like how you needed to learn the nuances of Pikachu's final smash.

The fire on Sweet Tooth's head when it shows the ranking at the end of each match is always slightly to the left of his scalp, making it look like it isn't on fire. How far to the left it is varies, though it's always noticable.

Also, how do people feel about Fat Princess's O-moves? I find them way to sluggish to use during combos, so I usually just end up throwing neutral Os out there in hopes of hitting someone who isn't paying attention. lol
I think they are okay. I play her sort-of rush down, so I tend to forget about them. Forward may be the one I should use the most. I think up and down are too slow and awkward and I totally forgot what the neutral one did. lol.

DEHF

Smash Champion
NNID
larrlurr
Triangle moves build AP faster than the other moves and I think square is the worst for building AP.

DEHF

Smash Champion
NNID
larrlurr
I don't think anyone gains meter from throws, AP orbs just fly out.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
I really don't like needing to use a super attack to kill. At Comic-Con I played against 3 staff members (you had to play FFAs). I literally ran and used ranged attacks with Sly Cooper. If someone approached me, I became invisible and dipped to the other side of the stage. With 10 seconds left, I ran visibly to the middle of the stage thinking everyone would be mad at me for camping for the whole match and would rush me. Then when they all got close, I killed them with my super and won by a landslide at the buzzer.

:phone:

ThatGuyYouMightKnow

Smash Champion
That's multiple (more than 2) player fighting for you. Hit them, get a lead and run. It just differs a little in each game.

But anyway. I think people need to go look at TMNT Smash Up and then look at this. It's much more similar to that game than Brawl or Melee.

zmx

Smash Lord
I really don't like needing to use a super attack to kill. At Comic-Con I played against 3 staff members (you had to play FFAs). I literally ran and used ranged attacks with Sly Cooper. If someone approached me, I became invisible and dipped to the other side of the stage. With 10 seconds left, I ran visibly to the middle of the stage thinking everyone would be mad at me for camping for the whole match and would rush me. Then when they all got close, I killed them with my super and won by a landslide at the buzzer.

Sorry, but if you won by landslide despite only getting 6 points, the players you were playing against weren't very good at all.

In the beta the average score for the winning person tends to be 8-14 with players getting scores like 7, 6 etc. just behind them.

Also, how well Sly can run away is largely stage dependant. I'm guessing you were playing on Sandover village.

Plus, this is an old build. Superbot have already stated they are constantly testing and tweaking the game for balance. Lastly, I see Sly Cooper being severely nerfed in 1 vs 1 as going invisible wouldn't be nearly as effective.

zmx

Smash Lord
I don't think anyone gains meter from throws, AP orbs just fly out.
This. So basically the person being thrown loses meter. This could be live saving when used on someone who's about to get a cinematic Level 3.

Jinkwai

Smash Apprentice
Parappa attempted his level 3. Instead, all of the other players froze. I could turn side to side, but could not move or anything else. Parappa was not able to activate his super again. The white stuff would happen, but no movie. The time also froze.

zmx

Smash Lord
That's a very common glitch. I've had that happen/seen it happen at least 6 times now.

Edit:

At this point I'll have to agree that at least in a FFA Sly is OP.

T1000416

Smash Cadet
I played the BETA over at a friends last night. I only got one match in but I was really impressed with how unique it felt and how it easy the controls were to get a hang of. Practice will of course be needed but I was quite happy with it.

I did notice a few errors/glitches that have been frequently messaged. Namely those involving the Super Moves. When a friend used Sly's Super 3, the camera view never went away until somebody else used a Super 3. Also at the end of friends match I saw that the winning player's character also groaned in defeat.

Outside of that I didn't notice anything else in particular. If it isn't too late I'd love to get a BETA key for myself and try the game out more.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I've been trying to hypothetically think of how these characters we have now would fair in 1v1 or 2v2. It occurred to me that Kratos might actually struggle in 1v1.

From the looks of it, you can't really string any combos with Kratos' LV1. His first super takes way too long to execute and is easily avoidable. In high competitions of play, I don't see this move viable, and it may hurt him on the tier list.

His LV2 is clearly meant to be an anti-aerial. I'm not sure if you can combo into it, but it does seem to have potential. I figure, a combo that pops the opponent into the air followed by a LV2 would = great success.

But yeah, LV1 seems viable in doubles to some standard, but in 1v1 play...it looks pretty useless.

Jinkwai

Smash Apprentice
I've been trying to hypothetically think of how these characters we have now would fair in 1v1 or 2v2. It occurred to me that Kratos might actually struggle in 1v1.

From the looks of it, you can't really string any combos with Kratos' LV1. His first super takes way too long to execute and is easily avoidable. In high competitions of play, I don't see this move viable, and it may hurt him on the tier list.

His LV2 is clearly meant to be an anti-aerial. I'm not sure if you can combo into it, but it does seem to have potential. I figure, a combo that pops the opponent into the air followed by a LV2 would = great success.

But yeah, LV1 seems viable in doubles to some standard, but in 1v1 play...it looks pretty useless.
While his combos are crazy good, his meter building has definitely been held back to keep him from being too good, which is fine by me. However, I can't see him going beyond midtier. I barely consider him the 3rd or 4th best character in the game so far. His ease of use is what's keeping up there for me, though.

On a 1v1 basis, I see Kratos catching people in tech chases with his level 1. I've been comboed into a spike, which forced a tech into a another combo. I can see that happening for a full bar of meter and getting caught with a level 1 at a bad part of the stage. You can't make too many bad decisions against a Kratos that knows what he's doing. His level 2 can be comboed into, I think. Either way, I think he's got a very good balance that I can't complain about.

zmx

Smash Lord
While his combos are crazy good, his meter building has definitely been held back to keep him from being too good, which is fine by me. However, I can't see him going beyond midtier. I barely consider him the 3rd or 4th best character in the game so far. His ease of use is what's keeping up there for me, though.

On a 1v1 basis, I see Kratos catching people in tech chases with his level 1. I've been comboed into a spike, which forced a tech into a another combo. I can see that happening for a full bar of meter and getting caught with a level 1 at a bad part of the stage. You can't make too many bad decisions against a Kratos that knows what he's doing. His level 2 can be comboed into, I think. Either way, I think he's got a very good balance that I can't complain about.
I was just going to post this. Kratos definitely has a ton of ways to get his level 1 to hit in a 1 vs 1.

His down square and down triangle both result in tech chases. And of course, every down throw in this game results in a tech chase.

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
So far, I'm not a fan. The pace of the game is laborious, the movesets are pretty boring and it's overall a pretty unrewarding experience. I honestly can't see much room for skill progression or dimensions for predictive play. It's just too slow, and the emphasis on supers centralizes the game to a point where you can do as much damage as you want, but it all comes down to that one hit, and if you miss it, well, that's too bad. Equate to getting someone to 200% in Smash, missing a Smash, then having their percent reset.

The stages and the characters also don't seem to interact in a meaningful way. They're mostly just a series of flat grounds without the appropriate physics to be used in an intelligent way. Above all else, the entire rock-paper-scissors aspect seems largely absent from the game. Combined with the viscous pacing, it literally turns into a mindless FFA.

Aside from these already-seen problems, I can name at least 1,000 other potential problems. In my opinion, the game is doomed to failure. The bugs/glitches are forgivable, of course, but the issues I'm noticing by and large are errors in the infrastructure of the game itself. Unless they plan on changing the game so much that it's barely comparable to the beta, I think one would have to pay me to play it. That's honestly how bad I found it to be lol.

There's something viscerally satisfying about hitting someone in a fighter. Each fighter has something uniquely satisfying about it. The vertebrae-splitting crunch of Ganon's DAir; the wallop of Seth's FP; each one has something unique that just soothes the soul. PSAS, to me, however, can have no better analogy for how it feels than that Hitmontop mini-game from PS2 LOL. Slow, clunky when you hit someone, and frankly aimless. When I played as Fat Princess, I found it damn near impossible to make any kind of meaningful reads or approaches, considering her best approach was a painfully predictable dash forward, and aside from that, my options were relegated to fatly (no other made-up adverb so adequately describes how she plays with such terse grace) waddling up to my opponent, and hoping he was either too busy picking his nose and flicking his boogers, or had a reaction time of 5 seconds.

Jinkwai

Smash Apprentice
So far, I'm not a fan. The pace of the game is laborious, the movesets are pretty boring and it's overall a pretty unrewarding experience. I honestly can't see much room for skill progression or dimensions for predictive play. It's just too slow, and the emphasis on supers centralizes the game to a point where you can do as much damage as you want, but it all comes down to that one hit, and if you miss it, well, that's too bad. Equate to getting someone to 200% in Smash, missing a Smash, then having their percent reset.

The stages and the characters also don't seem to interact in a meaningful way. They're mostly just a series of flat grounds without the appropriate physics to be used in an intelligent way. Above all else, the entire rock-paper-scissors aspect seems largely absent from the game. Combined with the viscous pacing, it literally turns into a mindless FFA.

Aside from these already-seen problems, I can name at least 1,000 other potential problems. In my opinion, the game is doomed to failure. The bugs/glitches are forgivable, of course, but the issues I'm noticing by and large are errors in the infrastructure of the game itself. Unless they plan on changing the game so much that it's barely comparable to the beta, I think one would have to pay me to play it. That's honestly how bad I found it to be lol.

There's something viscerally satisfying about hitting someone in a fighter. Each fighter has something uniquely satisfying about it. The vertebrae-splitting crunch of Ganon's DAir; the wallop of Seth's FP; each one has something unique that just soothes the soul. PSAS, to me, however, can have no better analogy for how it feels than that Hitmontop mini-game from PS2 LOL. Slow, clunky when you hit someone, and frankly aimless. When I played as Fat Princess, I found it damn near impossible to make any kind of meaningful reads or approaches, considering her best approach was a painfully predictable dash forward, and aside from that, my options were relegated to fatly (no other made-up adverb so adequately describes how she plays with such terse grace) waddling up to my opponent, and hoping he was either too busy picking his nose and flicking his boogers, or had a reaction time of 5 seconds.
It seems like more of your concerns have to do with the fact that this is a FFA beta. I'm sure more potential will also be shown when the beta updates. Ideally, the better player will have more opportunities to perform supers. Feel free to elaborate on other issues, though.

Also, I don't know what Fat Princess your playing, but mine can get in on people.

ThatGuyYouMightKnow

Smash Champion
It would be helpful if we had videos that try to show competitive aspects. Until then this is just going to go the same way, theory fighting and debating. Which isn't bad, but right now we don't have much hard footage to go on. We've seen combos; no actual tech or advanced movement.

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
It seems like more of your concerns have to do with the fact that this is a FFA beta. I'm sure more potential will also be shown when the beta updates. Ideally, the better player will have more opportunities to perform supers. Feel free to elaborate on other issues, though.

Also, I don't know what Fat Princess your playing, but mine can get in on people.
Nah, I wouldn't judge it based on the FFA. My concerns are based entirely on a 1v1 setting. As far as patches, glitches and balance issues are completely forgivable and reversible, but the problems I'm sure are in the very foundation of the game. Its pace, dynamics and integration are all very, very off to me.

Jinkwai

Smash Apprentice
Nah, I wouldn't judge it based on the FFA. My concerns are based entirely on a 1v1 setting. As far as patches, glitches and balance issues are completely forgivable and reversible, but the problems I'm sure are in the very foundation of the game. Its pace, dynamics and integration are all very, very off to me.
I can understand that. The pace of this game is much different than any other game I have played.

Link360

Smash Cadet
A glitch I often encounter is not being able to respawn after being killed by a Super, particularly level 3 supers. Also, in a match I was playing a Sweet Tooth on Hades appeared to be completely inactive and doing nothing but when the match ended it was the winner, as if it was actually playing and I just couldn't see.

MrEh

Smash Hero
-Totally agree on Sly's level 1 being a bit too good right now.

-Sweet Tooth's level 2 seems really lackluster. Explosion is rather small, and the missile moves kinda slow in my opinion.

-On the plus side, Sweet Tooth's side square is totally bonkers. It's huge.

-Radec is pretty annoying to play against. Seems a bit too safe at times, especially with the mines and junk.

Jinkwai

Smash Apprentice
-Totally agree on Sly's level 1 being a bit too good right now.

-Sweet Tooth's level 2 seems really lackluster. Explosion is rather small, and the missile moves kinda slow in my opinion.

-On the plus side, Sweet Tooth's side square is totally bonkers. It's huge.

-Radec is pretty annoying to play against. Seems a bit too safe at times, especially with the mines and junk.
I don't use Sweet Tooth's level 2 at all. I manage to do tech chased level 1's into multikills. Works out well in Metropolis.

By the way, they need to figure out how they want his level 1 to work against walls. I would love the wall bounce to actually work but it doesn't. The body goes one way while the visual effect goes the other.

zmx

Smash Lord

-I've already found a lot of meaningful ways the stages can be used. Look harder.

-The game pace is not slower than Brawl. Lol. The movement speed overall (on the ground) is a bit slower (and even that seems that way moreso because the stages are so huge, wait till we get some smaller stages to play on). But the overall floatiness of the characters is less and the horizontal air speed seems to be more.

-If you think FP's best approach is the dash forward attack, you need to play her a lot more and use her 0 moves and short hop/full hop aerials.

-I hate people being rewarded for fishing and spamming for kills and that's the way it is a lot of the time in Smash because there's little to no risk even at high level play. At least here you always need a solid read instead of just sometimes.

-This isn't Smash. You need to get over it. If you go in thinking you'll dominate because you're good at Smash you will be dissapointed. A lot of stuff from Smash CAN be applied to this game but you need to learn about this game FIRST.

-The movesets are boring......lolwut?

-The hitstun is the only thing I agree about. However, I feel the vibration on your controller kind of makes up for this. It's really responsive and satisfying whenever you score a hit/super.

Top Bottom