• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PlaynTrade is terrible at tourneys

takeurlife2

Smash Ace
get this, upcoming tourney, 10$ entrance fee.

its free for all with 8 stock, which means, yes, it could be 1v1 with 3 stock and still consume the same amount of time, but noooo, they much prefer to leave the possibility for secret teams and a camper or 2.

all items are ON, which is crap because someone who cant even play the game can get an insta-kill item, and beat someone who is much more skilled.

they said "no moving stages," which theres no telling what classifies as "moving" with them.

and the worst part is, if i dont enter this casual crap, i might not get sponsored by the better game store that knows how to run tourneys.

pnt is for squares...

its free for all with 8 stock, which means, yes, it could be 1v1 with 3 stock and still consume the same amount of time, but noooo, they much prefer to leave the possibility for secret teams and a camper or 2.
Looks like you should brush up on your secret team skills. Figure out how to win and do it, or ask. Don't just complain that you're not on your home turf. I'm sure you can figure out something.

tc1

Smash Lord
Umm my advice is use.. some 1 who has heavy Ko power.. and run ..grab items and run lol u'll win

Fuego

Smash Cadet
Haha, I went to a couple Melee tournaments at Play 'N Trade. Yeah...They thought wavedashing made you invincible, so it was banned in the first three rounds of play. And they thought Rainbow Cruise was a neutral stage. It was a joke.

Spyda

Smash Journeyman
IKE for KO power... sonic for grabbing items and chucking them at people... gogogo =)

i used fox at the Gs tourny and just grabbed items and reflected crap back at people... i got 2nd lol i didnt do anything else the whole match but run away... laser... reflect and throw stuff... seriously lol

takeurlife2

Smash Ace
ya... im gonna be cheap as hell just cause i dont wanna waste 10$.

at least there might be a REAL tourney the next day at a different game store, where i can win legit.

Jimiisama

Smash Apprentice
You might be better off not going to a game store for tournaments. I tried to get my local PNT to follow, at least somewhat, what is accepted as general tournament rules. They still didn't ban Mushroom Kingfom 1,2, either Melee DK stage, or Venom... They insisted it wasn't on some site they were looking at in MLG; I insisted that must be an old link, but at least it wasn't FFA with items or something like that (but yeah they still have Rainbow Cruise as neutral). They're going to have a Brawl tournament eventually, but I think I might just give up on trying to get them to do anything right.

skaterbaj

Smash Lord
well i remember when a Pnt first opened where i lived..they had a huge smash tourney and there were some smashers in the area that told the owner the rules for tourney play cause they all were kind dumb lol... the tourney played out well with 1st place gettin a Wii and second place a hat!! rofl...o well i was out first round but it was decent

C.Y.

Smash Rookie

all items are ON, which is crap because someone who cant even play the game can get an insta-kill item, and beat someone who is much more skilled.

they said "no moving stages," which theres no telling what classifies as "moving" with them.

and the worst part is, if i dont enter this casual crap, i might not get sponsored by the better game store that knows how to run tourneys.

pnt is for squares...
heh, you're from beaumont? if you were one of the kids that was playing brawl at gamecove this past friday, i was the kid who came and played with you guys.

but yea, pnt tourney looks dumb, i probably won't even go. ;\

EazyP

Smash Ace
Try talking to your play n trade

Our play n trade over here actually listens to what we have to say and gives us tournament rules and the likes for our tournaments, you can't expect people who don't know anything about the tournament scene of the game to have good rules

Mega-Japan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shonendo
3DS FC
0791-4753-3390
Well, is pretty much whoever gets a Golden Hammer/Smash Ball wins, specially if the final smash is something like the landmaster xD.

Popertop

Smash Champion
There are ACTUAL smashers from Beaumont?
Wow.
I'll have to play you guys some time.
What part of Beaumont are y'all in?

I stay in the dorms at Lamar.

CY

Smash Ace
Wow.

wow, another beaumont smasher that posts on SWF. -_-

well me, i live off walden in willow creek. i mostly just play with those two guys at gamecove or play n trade.

takeurlife2

Smash Ace
Wow.

we could plan a mini-tourney/smashtilldawn this weekend, should be pretty awesome.

what do you think? 5 or 10$ entrance- we split the prize 70% for winner, 20% for second, 10% for third, no profit for anyone who doesn't win. after the tourney and such we can just chill and smash.

i know a store that said they wouldnt mind if we used their facility for mini-tourneys and we could always just have it at a good house.

so what do you think fellas?

S2

Smash Lord
Do the FFA tournament anyways.

Pick a character who's quick and has good recovery (Try Pit or ROB) and simply run away the whole time. Throw projectles and go for items.

IF the ruleset is stupid, then play abusing them. Win and then complain its stupid, maybe they'll change the rules next time if the winner said they stupid.

takeurlife2

Smash Ace
Do the FFA tournament anyways.

Pick a character who's quick and has good recovery (Try Pit or ROB) and simply run away the whole time. Throw projectles and go for items.

IF the ruleset is stupid, then play abusing them. Win and then complain its stupid, maybe they'll change the rules next time if the winner said they stupid.
well, the tourney has already passed, i was blatantly teamed for both my eliminations(got in rounds with people who were related...)

but the good news is i was obviously one of the three best players there(the other two being my competitive friends who i play with often--back and forth wins there.) so now pnt, or at least the one in my town, has learned a bit about the flawed FFA format for competition and says they will have 1v1 tourneys for now on.

DJ_Sessum

Smash Rookie
@ takeurlife2
Hey, which Play N Trade are you referring to? I own a PNT and we are having an up coming Smash tourney. (Also, you all should check out my topic on tourneys I recently posted!)

KosukeKGA

Smash Champion
*Looks at thread title*

Yes, they are. I had to tell them the correct tourney standard rules at one I went to.

Generalvivi

Smash Rookie
The PlaynTrade in madison, Wi did it right I think .

-3 lives
-best out of 3
-double elimination
-stage picks
-1st random (battlefield, final destination , smashville, yoshi island, delfino plaza )
-Loser picks
-Loser picks

It was a lot of fun and the top two players were Game & Watch and Wario. Even tho I placed 5th (toon link) I still had a lot of fun and I'm looking forward to the next one. Hopefully I find more people in madison that want to duke it out.

Popertop

Smash Champion
Wow, didn't realize you guys replied to me.
I've been busy...
But anyways.
Yeah, that sounds awesome, we just have to pick a date and work around conflicts.

Junior376

Smash Rookie
Hmm I garuntee not all Play And Trade's are like them. Remember, play and trade sells franchises. So anyone (even ppl with no knoledge of a game) can buy the name, rent a spot, and run the store however the feel it should be run.

My uncle owns the Play N Trade in Miami, Fl . and this weekend we actually have a Brawl tourny.

2v2
team hits
3 stock
No Items
best 2 out of 3
(Couldnt find good input on stages so we are leaving it just FD and Battle field) Coin toss decides stage for first match in the best 2 out of 3. (heads = BF tails =FD)
Loser picks next.
Winners change characters first then losers (If they want to change characters.)
10$ Per team
5$ for late ragistrations

Saturday 1:00 PM

Just incase anyone was interested.

KingCold va

Smash Rookie
i think every turny should be played by nintendo guide lines rule and nothing short of it.

Junior376

Smash Rookie
Nintendo guidelines? Can you explain those guidelines to us please? I have the feeling that I'd much rather play tournies by the Brawl communities guidelines.

iconicSLEAZOID

Smash Cadet
yeah, most of the play n trade franchisees (the owners of each store) actually come to the store I work at for "in-store training." most of them really aren't into video games and don't know a DS from a PSP....literally. So you should seriously consider talking to the owner of the store and let him know what's up. Just try not to be so hard on them, they're trying to get you guys to have fun and compete, they're just misguided because they don't know the Smash community too well. Let them know how the community feels or hell, even introduce them to smashboards and show them what the community is like. But please don't associate all play n trades the same as they're all individually owned, otherwise you could miss some really good tournaments.

Top Bottom