• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PLaying with music/headphones/earphones vs Playing with the game audio

Benny P

Smash Journeyman
So, even though i am quite new in this community and have a lot of growing to do, i have noticed in different scenes and different players, you have so many variables of preferences eg: rumble on/off, their character choices/stage bans

But the one i want to focus on is the element of using music. Some players use music while others do not.

Questions i am asking are probably:

What are the benefits of using music?

What are the negatives of using music?

What are the benefits of not using music?

What are the negatives of not using music?

If anyone has any info/evidence or even opinions on this i would love it. this will be edited later in the future also.

This was inspired by this video by Omni https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0d164vvqmeE

Flippy Flippersen

Smash Journeyman
The most common benefit people using headphones get from their headphones is that they can drown out the crowd, for people who live of the hype/antihype this is also the biggest negative.
Music also helps certain people relax making them capable of more focused play than if they don't use the music.
Music also stops you from hearing the game so if you use sounds ques you might not want to use it.

I think those are the most common benefits and downsides to using music.

Silent J

Smash Rookie
Another benefit to it is also that depending on the tempo of the music itself (and the person's preferences on tempo) it can help your flow and rhythm while actively playing and be definitely great for focus. Crowd stuff is pretty common too.

A downside though might be having to play without music and you forgot your headphones or something - or for some reason you can't listen to music - when you're so used to doing it during sets. I don't do it in tournament for that reason, but I do like practicing with music occasionally to try and imprint focus that way. It's weird and hard to explain.

But like any preferences like you mentioned, there's tons of idiosyncrasies that people have, so it depends on the player whether it's beneficial or not - I'd gander that if you're super nervous while playing in tournament, then give it a shot. I feel like people often forget how huge the mental sides of fighting games are; it's such a huge aspect and even seemingly neutral things like music can be that missing link in someone's ability to improve their game.

Sutekh

Smash Apprentice
Personally I don't like listening to music while I play. I just seem to have a hard time concentrating with it, and I draw energy from being able to hear the people watching too. Some people are the opposite though, they find the crowd distracting and they like using music to help them focus. I use a lot of audio cues for different things too, like jabbing a spacie out of their side-b and such, so that's just what works best for me. It's really just personal preference.

Benny P

Smash Journeyman
Personally I don't like listening to music while I play. I just seem to have a hard time concentrating with it, and I draw energy from being able to hear the people watching too. Some people are the opposite though, they find the crowd distracting and they like using music to help them focus. I use a lot of audio cues for different things too, like jabbing a spacie out of their side-b and such, so that's just what works best for me. It's really just personal preference.

nightshade and the claws of SUTEKH

Kadano

Magical Express
"Playing with music/headphones/earphones vs Playing with the game audio"

Implying these are mutually exclusive. Playing with game audio through earphones is clearly the best – auditory reaction times, but no crowd disturbances.

Benny P

Smash Journeyman
"Playing with music/headphones/earphones vs Playing with the game audio"

Implying these are mutually exclusive. Playing with game audio through earphones is clearly the best – auditory reaction times, but no crowd disturbances.

yeah sorry about the vagueness. If that was always an option, i'd be playing with game audio through headphones (not earphones, as higher volumes on these are more likely to damage your hearing) all the time.

Last edited:

GenNyan

Smash Ace
yeah sorry about the vagueness. If that was always an option, i'd be playing with game audio through headphones (not earphones, as higher volumes on these are more likely to damage your hearing) all the time.
It can be an option all the time if you use a splitter box or something. I'm not a tech guy but I'd bet you can find instructions on google easily enough.

Benny P

Smash Journeyman
It can be an option all the time if you use a splitter box or something. I'm not a tech guy but I'd bet you can find instructions on google easily enough.

yeah possibly, but that would be pretty unviable to **** around with the TV before playing your tourney match.

GenNyan

Smash Ace
yeah possibly, but that would be pretty unviable to **** around with the TV before playing your tourney match.
You can probably just set it up beforehand and then just plug it into the TV. Carry it around in a backpack if you have to, lots of smashers bring bags/backpacks to tournaments.

Benny P

Smash Journeyman
You can probably just set it up beforehand and then just plug it into the TV. Carry it around in a backpack if you have to, lots of smashers bring bags/backpacks to tournaments.

IF it has a headphone jack. unless you mean getting some wierd av splitter i can put headphones into

Top Bottom