• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Playing under the influence

~rh

Smash Lord
I've watched people play while drunk, it was very funny. I've never done it myself, though.

Patsie

Smash Journeyman
I don't think I've ever drank with the intention of playing Smash. I've had a few to get a buzz before going out and played the occasional game, but the real drunken Smash comes from when I'm completely incoherent after a late night. It's probably fun in my mind, but I honestly never remember it.

Playing when ripped though has happened so often that it's not really a special event anymore. It's almost a mandatory event after a sesh to play a bunch of games.

I'm not saying people should smoke or anything, it's a personal decision (one that I was against for the longest time) overall. But don't make silly assumptions about it, just say you haven't wanted to.

As to how it affects you: it really depends on how much you had.

When you're just getting there, it's hit or miss whether it helps me. I've developed a bunch of creative new approaches when I've smoked a little, which helps a lot in Brawl especially. Sometimes, I start playing ludicrously well without even realizing how or why I'm doing it. It's as if I've known all the combinations and the proper reactions, but the wall that prevented me from doing it dissolved and my muscle memory just starts to dominate. I know that sounds stupid, but that's the only way I can describe it. I certainly wouldn't try it for a tournament, though, because, as I said, it's very hit or miss.

When you're completely baked, though, it basically defines Smash as a party game. You can toss the items on and have just a ton of fun. You're not worried about playing seriously or even winning; you just have straight-up fun. You're basically laughing the whole time. Part of it, I think, is because Brawl is a ridiculous game from the get-go. It doesn't take itself seriously at all, like the majority of other video games. When you see a massive simian sporting a necktie battling a pink puffball, you realize that and start laughing. It's clearly not good for competitive aspects, but it puts things in perspective from time to time.

hXd

Smash Cadet
I remember I was playing Melee drunk once and the guy I was playing taunt killed me with Luigi. I'll never forget that cursed night.

Star Ryan

Smash Cadet
I don't have brawl yet, but drunken melee ended with the following;

FD, Sudden Death, 2.0 Damage Ratio, Red shells on very high.

Bad times.

Dav657

Smash Apprentice
When I play high am in the zone! Its kinda weird i make less mistakes then i normally would. Also has anyone ever heard of ralphie may? The reason we have drugs is because we all want to be ********. Your always happy and everything becomes funny! Whats not to like about being happy?

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
The reason we have drugs is because we all want to be ********. Your always happy and everything becomes funny! Whats not to like about being happy?
I've been around it enough to know I don't want to purposely make myself act like that.

Mario_ 101

Smash Ace
Playing Brawl isn't healthy, you stare at a tv screen, posting on forums isn't healthy, you stare at a computer screen, but you do it anyway, watch your health...
Well, ask anyone, but playing video games is better than drugs. Drugs MAKE you addicted. Smoking gives bad mouth/lung cancer, and alcohol you can die from if you drink too much. Video games aren't the healthiest, I agree, but they don't give any of the above. Besides, video games enhance your reflexes.

Falco (MOP)

Smash Journeyman
My friends and I have smoked before playing smash / mario party, all of us seemed to play worse, except for one of our less advanced friends who played much better, yes with Kirby...

That's all I got for you, I'm not really hardcore, we just did it once, don't drink very often.

--The MOP

Patsie

Smash Journeyman
Well, ask anyone, but playing video games is better than drugs. Drugs MAKE you addicted. Smoking gives bad mouth/lung cancer, and alcohol you can die from if you drink too much. Video games aren't the healthiest, I agree, but they don't give any of the above. Besides, video games enhance your reflexes.
There is nothing in weed that makes you physically addicted to the drug.

I agree that there is such a thing as mental addiction. But the same thing applies to, say, World of Warcraft or food.

You've gotta do some balanced research on it, DARE doesn't tell you everything you should know.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
except for the fact that Video games are addicting because I sure am, plus I can probably tell I'm not the only one who probably feels the sames, but yea, it's true that video games due enhance reflexes such as eye coordination as well as fingers exercise

Leprechaun_Drunk

Smash Journeyman
Being Irish, I prefer the drink to the green, but Smash is still more enjoyable stoned rather than drunk.

Also, if tempted, I could compile a list of ten reasons why Marijuana is less harmful than video games.

Vicious Delicious

tetigit destruens
Switch FC
SW 0141 8170 9257
I admit that I was a bit high once when I was playing Brawl.

Unfortunately, I wasn't really...doing anything. Kind of just jumping and running around and doing "cool" attacks like Aura Sphere and PK Freeze/Flash and Ike's Eruption because I remembered liking what my friend said I said: "how they did."

Randofu

Smash Journeyman
Is it just me or are there more incoherent posts in this topic than in most?

In any case, back when spectator mode was announced I posted that it sounded like the perfect drinking game. I don't drink often, so I haven't really tried it. I'm going to a party tonight, so maybe I'll try it there.

Esoteric

Smash Apprentice
Hey hey hey, smoke weed everyday.

I haven't played drunken Brawl yet, but I have many times while high. Sometimes I get really focused and start doing better, or sometimes I won't even be paying attention and off in la la land. Maybe I'll pick up a 6 pack this weekend and play some drunken wifi Brawl. :D

hippochinfat!!

Smash Lord
Wario is just plain ugly with his tubby body and ridiculous face. He also stinks to high heaven with his garlic gas. He's still funny though.

Peach on the other hand, is beautiful and smells sweet. The complete opposite of Wario. Of course, she too is pretty funny at times.
Now this made me laugh because you act like you know them IRL.

Yomi

Smash Cadet
I always get high before tournaments. I don't get better, but its more fun. I tend to be free from my usual habits and I do stuff that I never think to do otherwise. That being said, I'm not as precise and I mess up on my tech skill more. Playing brawl high is easier than melee.

hippochinfat!!

Smash Lord
yoshi playing drunk looks something like this

:)
Dude, we get it. You have a hard on for that picture. You've already posted it in that SSB4 thread and probaly a few others.

For the sake of the entire Smash community, please, PLEASE have your name changed. I know mine isn't much better but every time I see it I want to gouge my eyes out with a fpoon. Thats a mix between a Spoon and a Fork.
It's called a spork.

Leprechaun_Drunk

Smash Journeyman
i get the feeling some (or maybe most) of the posters who claim to drink/smoke actually do. I was happy when this thread died, i was quite inebriated when I made it...

Leprechaun_Drunk

Smash Journeyman
I'm sober. Already overweight, can't afford to further increase my risk of heart disease and cancer...
marijuana use doesn't increase risk of heart disease or cancer (i should have been clearer, when i said smoking i was refering to marijuana use, not cigarette consumption. Cigarettes are evil...)

edit: i also don't encourage use of any substance, drinking and/or smoking doesn't make you cooler, so don't say you do it if you don't. another point, if you DON'T enjoy alcohol, marijuana use, ect. don't put yourself on a pedestal, especially if you are uneducated in the subject matter (which it seems quite a few people are). Alcohol is much more destructive than marijuana, anyhow, but that's beside the point, and a whole different argument beyond smash. Please, mods, lock this thread...

Top Bottom