• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Playing Like a Zen Buddhist

thespymachine

Smash Ace
[Ramblings of my own perspective on Zen Buddhism and how it applies to competitive Melee]

Part 1 - Jan. 8th, 2014
[A random thought process that built into this quick post]

Zen Buddhism is an Indian Mahayana Buddhism translated through the language and thought of Chinese Taoism. The most you need to know about its history is that its Buddhist half emphasizes Mindfulness and that its Taoist half emphasizes Naturalness.

Contradictory to what a lot of smashers and competitive methodologies suggest, a Zen Buddhist competitive-mindset (ZBM) encourages a type of "autopilot" playstyle.

For ZBM, the goal is to play as natural as possible, as long as possible. By doing so - by relying on habit - one reserves their willpower and mental energy for later, when most needed. By playing completely by habit - naturally - you can keep your mind more prepared for later (in the game, set, or tournament) and put your focus onto other things (like your physical limits for the day, or exploring potential options). This is the sort of thing that HugS posits and something that he would apply to his pre-EVO training (this blog post is lost). But this isn't just a mindset to perpetuate the same style of play throughout one's smash career; a mindless style that is predictable from all angles.
When you're young, I'm sure you got burnt by something, since the sensation was so strong you couldn't help to be mindful of what was happening to you, and you've learned since.
The trick is to form habits worth having in a game that has very subtle situations.

To get to this type of "autopilot," one must be mindful.

Mindfulness is the practice of being aware of your sensations (or, in general, what is happening to/around you) - and it is generally used in meditation, typically to form a 'non-judgmental,' or a 'non-narrative,' perspective on ones thoughts and sensations. In Smash the goal is to be mindful of what is or isn't working in your or your opponent's play; it takes two to tango - you must take into account the abilities of yourself AND your opponent.

Naturalness without Mindfulness is to be a sphex - varying inputs, always one output.
Mindfulness without Naturalness is to clap with only one hand - by attempting to 'control' everything, one loses control. Or, how HugS puts it: "You cannot possibly be cognizant of every single millisecond input you perform during a match, so why do some of you try to play your matches this way? Why are you all demanding this of your brain? It's only gonna slow you down, mess you up, and have you wondering why nothing is working."

Essentially, we all think on these lines. When we first start learning tech we have to 'intentionally' do the inputs, being mindful of what to do and if you're doing it right. The goal is to be natural at techskill so we can apply our mindfulness to more important matters like reacting to, reading, and adapting with your opponent.

A great example of this type of mindset is in Bruce Lee and his Jeet Kune Do. He takes a very Taoist approach to martial arts to create a "style without style" - borrowing from fencing methods of defending and attacking in the same move.

Both JKD and ZBM put strong emphasis on playing naturally, and from that put a focus on physical ability to improve the strength of your foundation - you can do the right thing, but if you don't do that right thing faster and better than your opponent can to the less right thing, what's the point?

Part 2 - Jan. 9th, 2014
[More thoughts that spawned from above stuff]
This, all of it, is what Mango is talking about when he talks about listening to or following his heart (he probably mentions it a few times in this).

It's no surprise the (currently voted) best player in the world is 1) one of, if not THE, most technically consistent players, 2) mindful of all the little intricacies of play, and 3) plays naturally, from the heart.
These are the three foundations of ZBM: Physicality (techskill and physical strength/health), mindfulness, and naturalness. And these three form the groundwork for the core in-game skills: techskill, appraisal, and adaptability.
Techskill is simple: your physical ability controlling what interactions you have in the game. Like I mentioned earlier, you must be able to do your 'right' action faster/better than your opponents' 'right/wrong' action. Clearly physicality is important here.
Appraisal is the awareness and understanding of the (meta)game and its intricacies. "I can crouch-cancel [this move] until [this percentage]." "At this distance, [character] can hit me with only [this attack]." "[Character] can counter with [move] when I [move]" etc etc. Mindfulness plays an obvious role here, but not the whole time. With enough experience most of this will become natural, and, once at high level play, it'll only be the metagame pushers that will give you something to be mindful about.
Adaptability is the ability to grasp and participate in Yomi, mindgames, whatever you want to call it. This is pure mindfulness.
["Core in-game skills" borrowed and adapted from Sirlin's chapter "What Makes the Best Player?" from his book "Playing to Win"]

Part 3 - Jan 10th, 2014
[quick thoughts after reading @Cheeri-Oats ' comments and blogs]

One must understand the differences and relationship between vision and attitude - between one's goals and one's mindset.

I'll start with a simple, cogent, and powerful request:
Try to win "the game"

Keep trying.

Difficult, isn't it.

And, yet, this is the type of task a lot of players will put on themselves when they play.
They - we - will see on the map that the location (vision/goal) is directly north and will choose to follow a path (attitude/mindset) that stays a complete straight line. The focus is so strong on the map that they fail to realize there is a mountain between them and their destination. They become frustrated because it's taking them longer than what the map is telling them, without realizing that the map doesn't have physical data of the area or, in the very least, that they are currently scaling a mountain.
From a limited interpretation of the area, going straight seemed like a great idea - and if that's the only info you have at the moment, it's perfectly fine to make that judgement. But, to be so focused on that specific path that you don't see other possibilities hinders yourself and your journey-fellows.

So, ZBM is a path of non-pathness. A mindset of non-mindsetness. There is no set axioms from the start that establish the rest of the mindset - only the goal (playing the best you can play) and the game you play limit what ZBM discovers.

It's like those moments where a word is on the tip of your tongue but you just can't think of it? It's because your current thought process is so close to finding the word that it's looping around it, and all it takes is a little time not focused on finding it that the word comes to mind.

The only way to win "the game" is to not play it.

Don't be stubborn, like an ice cube unable to fit in your bottle.
"Warm up" to the environment, and you'll easily - no, naturally - be able to become more productive.
Don't 'make' your mindset. 'Find' it.
Be like water, my friend.

Part 4 - Jan. 14th, 2014
[a short discussion on non-duality]

I'm sure some of you have gone over what I've posted above and have come to the realization that I may be talking in circles or being self-contradicting. And I understand.

Zen Buddhism, and practically all Eastern philosophy traditions, speak with contradiction to escape duality. Because, in the end, there is no cold without hot, there is no brightness without shadow; perceptions are relative truths ("hot" is a relative understanding: what is hot to me is not hot to the bacteria that live by the steam vents on the bottom of the ocean).
So, I speak in subtle or strong contradictions, to focus on the 'middle ground' - the non-dualness.

Wu-wei - non-action: doing without trying to act (like doing an l-cancel without giving it a second thought, since you've practiced it so much). And so, ZBM - non-mindsetness: mindfully being natural, naturally being mindful.

Pikachu's jab isn't good or bad, in itself - it's bad if used to punish a wiffed smash, but good when used in rapid succession on a Fox off the edge to possibly eat their jump and force them to drop below the ledge and get Axe-Effect'd. Falcon kick isn't good or bad - it's bad when used as a combo finisher, but it's pretty good at escaping certain situations and recovering.

The mere desire to be Buddha destroys your ability to.
The simple attempt to win "the game" makes you lose it.
Trying to be natural evades naturalness.

Step 1: Practice mindfulness meditation.
Step 2: Practice your techskill. Stay healthy.
Step 3: Play, play, play, play.
Step 4: [coming soon]

This stuff interest you? Check these out:

- Bruce Lee's "Tao of Jeet Kune Do"
- W. Timothy Gallwey's "The Inner Game of Tennis"

[I know I'm missing references and stuff in the post, but I wanted to get all my thoughts out.]

Last edited:

SAUS

Smash Ace
This is pretty cool. Right now, being back in the smash scene and being one of the top players in my area, I often find people asking me for help, and I have many many troubles trying to teach people how this game works. There's just too much to say and nowhere to start. I think this view on things could help me with a few of the people I am trying to teach.

thespymachine

Smash Ace
This is pretty cool. Right now, being back in the smash scene and being one of the top players in my area, I often find people asking me for help, and I have many many troubles trying to teach people how this game works. There's just too much to say and nowhere to start. I think this view on things could help me with a few of the people I am trying to teach.
The best way to teach is to show.
I am a horrible verbal teacher, but I'm pretty good at thinking in metaphor, so if I do say what I'm trying to teach it'll be in the vein of something they understand already.
But, in the end, showing specific things is the best. And mindset is (nearly) everything - people need to know that, and when you're teaching, let them know your mindset when training, playing friendlies, or in tournament (if you're unable to point these out, you have work to do, lol).

xCardiac

Smash Apprentice
This is an interesting concept. I'm down to give an autopilot session a try. Although, I'm afraid that i'll just glaze over and think about random things.

thespymachine

Smash Ace
This is an interesting concept. I'm down to give an autopilot session a try. Although, I'm afraid that i'll just glaze over and think about random things.
Ah, yes. It would be incredibly wise to understand and have a little practice in Minfulness Meditation (there's a link in the OP).

That's probably something I'll have to add to the post.

shadrach kabango

Banned via Warnings
this works. the more ensconced i am in yoga and meditation the better i play, even while not being in practice. i haven't been in practice in years, actually, but i still rarely drop games to non-ranked players if for no other reason than i am relaxed and confident while they are tense and anxious

thespymachine

Smash Ace
this works. the more ensconced i am in yoga and meditation the better i play, even while not being in practice. i haven't been in practice in years, actually, but i still rarely drop games to non-ranked players if for no other reason than i am relaxed and confident while they are tense and anxious
Not surprised at all that someone with "Namaste" as their sig and has Thich Quang Duc (had to look up his name) as their avatar would like this post and have a similar mindset.

Namaste. :)

SAUS

Smash Ace
The best way to teach is to show.
I am a horrible verbal teacher, but I'm pretty good at thinking in metaphor, so if I do say what I'm trying to teach it'll be in the vein of something they understand already.
But, in the end, showing specific things is the best. And mindset is (nearly) everything - people need to know that, and when you're teaching, let them know your mindset when training, playing friendlies, or in tournament (if you're unable to point these out, you have work to do, lol).
Ya I think the main thing I want to teach them is that tech skill and the ability to control my character is so natural, that I just do what I want to do when I want to. I don't have to think "Y, R, Angle the stick" to wavedash, I just think "wavedash" or even "I want to be over there".

One huge thing I've noticed when people watch me is that they'll ask "what did you do there?" and honestly, I have no ****ing clue what I did. It just happened. The response was so natural I didn't even think of it. I think that these things happen most in places where the opponent made a bad move and basically my mind and hands auto-punished them for me :D Unfortunately this hurts my ability to teach even further, since I can't explain to them how I am beating them (or their friends of similar skill level). I think they'd understand if I explained it to them like this (basically your whole OP) and, while it wouldn't immediately impact their gameplay, it may immediately impact their mindset. Hopefully it would change to something like "I understand now, I have to master control of my character to the point where everything I do with it is natural".

I also do like part 3. I think it is exactly what one of my friends is doing. Basically, he thinks that he should train to beat me. Since I am highly ranked in my area, he thinks beating me means that he would also be good at the game. This is most likely true, but I think he stunts his growth, or at least growth rate, by only focusing on beating me.

♡ⓛⓞⓥⓔ♡

Anti-Illuminati
Fantastic read! :) When I play I'm on a type of "auto-pilot" most of the time, this conserves my mental energy. As I play I'm thinking about the game, scenarios, and just trying to be absorbed by the experience as fully as possible. This "auto-pilot" mode hinders my perforrnance and I react slower to the game, but it keeps me calm and I'm able to play much longer without getting frustrated or angry.

SAUS

Smash Ace
@ SAUS SAUS Mindfulness training will help you tremendously.
Ya this is what I work on most of the time now, but if my automatic response is what I need it to be, then I don't need to train that or really focus on it. I know where my problems are, so I focus on those and on the enemy.

Is it possible to increase how much mental energy you have? What I mean is, there is kind of a limit on how much I can focus in a day or maybe just as long as I have a sufficient break between things. Can I increase the amount of time I can focus? I play best when I am well-rested and all my tech-skill works as intended (always does when I'm well rests) and I focus on how to beat my opponent, and how to break my own bad habits.

thespymachine

Smash Ace
Is it possible to increase how much mental energy you have? What I mean is, there is kind of a limit on how much I can focus in a day or maybe just as long as I have a sufficient break between things. Can I increase the amount of time I can focus? I play best when I am well-rested and all my tech-skill works as intended (always does when I'm well rests) and I focus on how to beat my opponent, and how to break my own bad habits.
I'm glad you brought this up, because this something I'm going to write about in the future.
Simple answer: strengthen your mind, and rest it accordingly.
For example, before EVO, since I really didn't have the means to practice with anyone, after I would get my hand warmups in, I would play against cpus but not in 4-stock matches; I would to 15 stock, 20 stock, 20 minutes, etc. My goal was to force complete mindfulness - total 'mind energy' - to work my mind like a muscle. Whenever I felt my focus dwindle, I would stop playing - sometimes I would just do pushups or go juggle or browse the internet. I think this really helped me (that and my techskill practice), because I went from being an 0-2 at locals to a 3-2 at EVO.

So, my advice would be to have you and your training partner play longer, intense matches. And, on the side when you're not playing Melee, do (logic) puzzles or whatever to exercise your brain. After smashfests or tournaments, when you do TONS of playing, try not to play the day after - just write down reasons why you want to play, try out something, whatever, and get to those things the next time you play. A little extra rest from playing will help internalize everything that happened during the smashfest/tournament.

[use this as notes for part 5, me]

shadrach kabango

Banned via Warnings
Synchronistically enough, Phil Jackson's recent book, Eleven Rings, is almost all about how he utilizes mindfulness and Buddhist techniques to become a great leader.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
I don't like this idea of defining a 'Zen Buddhist' playstyle with such specificity

There are lots of ways you can incorporate eastern philosophy into your mindset; peeps should just experiment and keep asking questions.

thespymachine

Smash Ace
In parts 1 & 2, I definitely bring specificity to the table, but the other two parts aren't very specific (non-mindsetness?).
Though, I should put a disclaimer at the top. Thank you.

Papapaint

Just your average kind of Luigi.
I don't like this idea of defining a 'Zen Buddhist' playstyle with such specificity

There are lots of ways you can incorporate eastern philosophy into your mindset; peeps should just experiment and keep asking questions.
This. Your description of Zen is historically accurate, and all you're doing is throwing around Eastern-sounding words to justify a specific method that you think people should use while they play melee. All you're suggesting is that people need to be physically and mentally fit to do well while playing melee, which isn't exactly new information...

BonaparteZ

Smash Rookie
The only way to win "the game" is to not play it.
I couldn't agree more. You can't win at Melee, no matter how good you are. This is why people like M2K will never be satisfied. But maybe winning shouldn't be your goal anyway. How about self-improvement? Find your inner Mang0, become a true 20xx Fox monk. Win with style, but lose with grace. Like ebb and flow. Failing becomes a lot harder when losing is part of your goal. Most importantly, if losing is part of your plan, there'll be no Johns in your heart and you'll be able to see your matches for what they really are. If you don't embrace your losses, you'll become imbalanced and blind on one eye, out of sync with reality with a distorted self-image. How can self-improvement be achieved if you cripple yourself by never wanting to make mistakes? It becomes very hard, mistakes and losing should be part of your plan.

Sorry for the out of context quote, I did it on purpose. Also, my take on it might not be related to Zen Buddhism, which I understand nothing about, and thus off topic.

itsbme

Game on!
Slippi.gg
BME#828
Win with style, but lose with grace. Like ebb and flow. Failing becomes a lot harder when losing is part of your goal. Most importantly, if losing is part of your plan, there'll be no Johns in your heart and you'll be able to see your matches for what they really are. If you don't embrace your losses, you'll become imbalanced and blind on one eye, out of sync with reality with a distorted self-image. How can self-improvement be achieved if you cripple yourself by never wanting to make mistakes? It becomes very hard, mistakes and losing should be part of your plan..
This is seriously the best thing I have ever read on these boards.

thespymachine

Smash Ace
I have a tournament tonight.
I think I'll post some more stuff tomorrow regarding my thoughts going into my first tournament in a while.

thespymachine

Smash Ace
Mental splurge I wrote down today - making myself vulnerable for you guys:

"We cannot choose whether we engage with our opponent, only how to."

Four Noble Truths of Melee
1. Melee is full of people trying to KO you
2. Mitigating those KOs would make winning easier
3. We can mitigate KOs
4. To do so we follow Isai practice

Haven't been very mindful lately. Haven't been playing to my potential, it feels. See large mistakes I've made, can't wait to apply my learning next.
Biggest hurdle is to stay mindful during matches where I feel the hype/nerves. In friendlies, especially vs players near my skill level, I'm constantly mixing it up; however, in tournament, against everybody, I become very sphex like - doing the same things over and over, thinking it's all going to work when it doesn't/isn't.
A major problem is that I'm just getting back to having tournament experience again after 2 years. I can build an immunity by continuing to play new people, which is a struggle in itself, due to my social sensibilities. However, I must push myself to do so - especially vs better players. I can't keep getting that feeling of pre-embarassment everytime I want to play vs someone.
Play more Cameron.

I believe once I create that immunity, I can start building my game. Just need to get back into meditation as well.

Once mindfulness becomes a thing, I'll be able to apply many things.
- mindgames
- understanding my current limits
- perceiving and understanding why things are happening
- adapting

My tech is there. More experience in tournament will get me used to the nerves, as well as attacking moving/shielding opponents, will get my tech even better. That isn't my problem anymore. Just gotta play now.
Play all the time.

And meditate.

_ __ _ __ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Feel free to discuss.
I like the noble truths thing, and implementing an 8-fold path (Isai practice) that starts with "Don't get hit." lol

Namaste.

SAUS

Smash Ace
Mental splurge I wrote down today - making myself vulnerable for you guys:

"We cannot choose whether we engage with our opponent, only how to."

Four Noble Truths of Melee
1. Melee is full of people trying to KO you
2. Mitigating those KOs would make winning easier
3. We can mitigate KOs
4. To do so we follow Isai practice

Haven't been very mindful lately. Haven't been playing to my potential, it feels. See large mistakes I've made, can't wait to apply my learning next.
Biggest hurdle is to stay mindful during matches where I feel the hype/nerves. In friendlies, especially vs players near my skill level, I'm constantly mixing it up; however, in tournament, against everybody, I become very sphex like - doing the same things over and over, thinking it's all going to work when it doesn't/isn't.
A major problem is that I'm just getting back to having tournament experience again after 2 years. I can build an immunity by continuing to play new people, which is a struggle in itself, due to my social sensibilities. However, I must push myself to do so - especially vs better players. I can't keep getting that feeling of pre-embarassment everytime I want to play vs someone.
Play more Cameron.

I believe once I create that immunity, I can start building my game. Just need to get back into meditation as well.

Once mindfulness becomes a thing, I'll be able to apply many things.
- mindgames
- understanding my current limits
- perceiving and understanding why things are happening
- adapting

My tech is there. More experience in tournament will get me used to the nerves, as well as attacking moving/shielding opponents, will get my tech even better. That isn't my problem anymore. Just gotta play now.
Play all the time.

And meditate.

_ __ _ __ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Feel free to discuss.
I like the noble truths thing, and implementing an 8-fold path (Isai practice) that starts with "Don't get hit." lol

Namaste.
For me, it is backwards. I play much better in tournaments because I am focused and I pay much more attention to everything that is happening. Similarly, I play better against people I've never played before, since I am looking for their patterns/habits/style.

When I play people I know, I tend to start playing auto-pilot. It also doesn't help that I work on the days I have smash fests because I also tend to be tired. Maybe I should work on my diet and physical fitness. I'm sure it will improve my energy for those days.

My biggest hurdle to overcome right now is to play in friendlies like I play in tournaments - super focused and thoughtful. I think it will allow me to learn more quickly outside of tournaments.

thespymachine

Smash Ace
Perhaps, you can force yourself to play after work on non-tournament days to get your mind and body practiced in that context.

Why else do you think you're more focused vs different players than against people you know?
Also, why do you think you don't focus in friendlies?

SAUS

Smash Ace
Perhaps, you can force yourself to play after work on non-tournament days to get your mind and body practiced in that context.

Why else do you think you're more focused vs different players than against people you know?
Also, why do you think you don't focus in friendlies?
Tournaments are usually on the weekend, so I am usually well-rested. I'm also usually in a good mood. Smash fests have been on thursday nights and friday nights mostly, and I work 9-5 on all weekdays, so sometimes I go to them kinda worn out. I'm not sure if I could fix this by practicing on my own at home after work because practicing some tech skill is not demanding enough for me.

Against new opponents:
1) Due to unknown skill level, I am playing at my best (at least for the first bunch of games).
2) I want to leave an impression.

In friendlies, I feel like I get stuck on some dumb things:
1) Thinking things like "I should be able to beat this player more easily", which leads down a long path of negative thoughts.
2) Playing well enough to win because I know their skill level, so I don't explore much.

thespymachine

Smash Ace
Tournaments are usually on the weekend, so I am usually well-rested. I'm also usually in a good mood. Smash fests have been on thursday nights and friday nights mostly, and I work 9-5 on all weekdays, so sometimes I go to them kinda worn out. I'm not sure if I could fix this by practicing on my own at home after work because practicing some tech skill is not demanding enough for me.
Oh, yeah, sorry. Got confused a bit.

Against new opponents:
1) Due to unknown skill level, I am playing at my best (at least for the first bunch of games).
2) I want to leave an impression.

In friendlies, I feel like I get stuck on some dumb things:
1) Thinking things like "I should be able to beat this player more easily", which leads down a long path of negative thoughts.
2) Playing well enough to win because I know their skill level, so I don't explore much.
The goal should be to try to play your best always, yeah? Unless you're in a 'learning' mindset, where you're exploring and experimenting with things instead of implementing what you already know.

Some of my problem, I suppose, is that I find myself in a playful or learning mindset all the time - where I try to style or do something new all the time. lol
I think I can mitigate that by using handwarmers/friendlies as a way to see what I can do techskill-wise that day, so I don't push myself. Creating a mental primer.

SAUS

Smash Ace
The goal should be to try to play your best always, yeah? Unless you're in a 'learning' mindset, where you're exploring and experimenting with things instead of implementing what you already know.

Some of my problem, I suppose, is that I find myself in a playful or learning mindset all the time - where I try to style or do something new all the time. lol
I think I can mitigate that by using handwarmers/friendlies as a way to see what I can do techskill-wise that day, so I don't push myself. Creating a mental primer.
Ya, I want to play my best always, but I constantly drift back into auto-pilot. I'll sometimes play the first half of a game quite well and then the second half is auto-pilot.

One thing that tends to get me going is actually trash talk/things that annoy me. One thing is when people have to exclaim to the room that they beat me (I am #1 in my area, so I don't blame them). At one point, I thought it was better to ignore these things and to play "with no emotion", but I've found that the desire to win here helps me focus. Sometimes I've even found that it snaps me back out of auto-pilot for the night. I think it comes from wanting to prove something - similar to when I play against a new opponent.

thespymachine

Smash Ace
One thing that tends to get me going is actually trash talk/things that annoy me. One thing is when people have to exclaim to the room that they beat me (I am #1 in my area, so I don't blame them). At one point, I thought it was better to ignore these things and to play "with no emotion", but I've found that the desire to win here helps me focus. Sometimes I've even found that it snaps me back out of auto-pilot for the night. I think it comes from wanting to prove something - similar to when I play against a new opponent.
I tend to be put off by this kind of stuff, simply because it's something I wouldn't do and I think it's rude. It gets me in a mindset that doesn't really want to try anymore.
But, then, after a horrible performance in a MM recently, the person who beat me has been talking themselves up, and it's actually been driving me to improve and beat them.

What about positive feedback? Like, "You got this!" or "Ohhhh!" when you do something cool.
I know that 'encouragement' stuff doesn't really do much, but reactions to the cool stuff I do is awesome.

SAUS

Smash Ace
I tend to be put off by this kind of stuff, simply because it's something I wouldn't do and I think it's rude. It gets me in a mindset that doesn't really want to try anymore.
But, then, after a horrible performance in a MM recently, the person who beat me has been talking themselves up, and it's actually been driving me to improve and beat them.
That's why I tend to play better :p "I got 2 stocks off him!" makes me try to make it 0 the next game.

What about positive feedback? Like, "You got this!" or "Ohhhh!" when you do something cool.
I know that 'encouragement' stuff doesn't really do much, but reactions to the cool stuff I do is awesome.
I also don't find the encouragement to be too important, but it still helps. The main this is that it only does anything if I am in a tough match where nerves are present (such as in tourney - where I don't have problems playing my best). Sometimes it's what you need to snap back into a good attitude, though, so I always appreciate it.

I do really like the reactions to the cool things though :p To me, it's a confidence booster and confidence removes nervousness.

thatspoetry

Smash Cadet
training your thought process to condition certain stimuli for the proper response. it would be best to be aware while being void of thought. it's like a martial artist to heed to their physiological reaction. when it comes to video games you simply have the surroundings and whatever is included.
it's not too complicated. if you try to build these terms into the field of psychology then it becomes more obvious how to do it and what becomes as you go.
this article can get some things right. I'm honestly interested where it's going.

Top Bottom