• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Players that roll a lot.

JamietheAuraUser

Smash Lord
In other words... you play the game, not camp like a douchenozzle.
No, I still definitely camp, just slightly less like a douchenozzle. I think it can still be summarized as rolls, dash attacks, projectiles, and aerial projectiles. Mii Brawler is the character I actually play properly, if not professionally.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
While healthy debate is all fine and dandy, please keep any personal insults or "noob/scrubs" comments out of the topic that it doesn't add anything to the discussion.

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
Mmm... I probably roll more than I should... but I'm not one of those you'll meet online, as I don't play online, so no worries.:p I will say though, playing against computers kinda forces that habit, as they do it ALOT at higher levels. That and countering, if they have one. I swear, I have never seen CPUs in smash counter so much before... Lucario at 9 will pretty much do nothing but spam roll and counter over and over. Now THAT is annoying...

JamietheAuraUser

Smash Lord
Mmm... I probably roll more than I should... but I'm not one of those you'll meet online, as I don't play online, so no worries.:p I will say though, playing against computers kinda forces that habit, as they do it ALOT at higher levels. That and countering, if they have one. I swear, I have never seen CPUs in smash counter so much before... Lucario at 9 will pretty much do nothing but spam roll and counter over and over. Now THAT is annoying...
It's funny if you're playing a character with a command dash that activates an attack on contact, such as the Mii Brawler's Onslaught. Protip: Onslaught doesn't trigger Double Team unless Lucario times it perfectly, since the Brawler just dashes straight through Lucario while he's intangible.

Captain Norris

Smash Lord
NNID
ZeldaFan3280
Honestly, rolls are pretty darn good with some characters. Some, such as Palutena and Rosaluma, give a huge asset in mind games. And little Mac's roll is extremely quick. It is good from a defensive standpoint if you know what to do.

LinkNIvy

Smash Apprentice
If they're rolling towards you to get closer then they can be punished more easily. A lot of down smashes are good at deciding brief roll battles. Characters with lasting dash attacks like Yoshi or Fox's have an easier time with closing the distance to punish, too. Lasting projectiles like boomerangs or charged shots (Wii Fit, Samus and Mega Man, Shiek's charged needles) can catch distant rollers as well.

Last edited:

Shiliski

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4570-7099-6924
It's one thing to use Rolling as a legit move for positioning and trying to avoid a telegraphed (or read) move.

It's another thing entirely to do this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70THZk-HGk0

As you can see, this is not really an optimal strategy. I only had so much trouble with it because it was the first time I've ever seen it. It did stall the game for a long time, but in the end it was all for nothing.

Last edited:

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
there are people in for glory that literally do nothing but roll just to move around stage lol

Uffe

Smash Hero
I've found myself rolling a lot, too. You'll either learn to adapt to these types of players, or you'll be doomed to have them roll you out. Sadly, there are only a number of characters that can punish rollers. Samus, Falcon, Gdorf, Ness, Marth, etc. Of course, for me, my smashes turn into tilts online, really depending on how laggy it is. :(

KurashiDragon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KurashiDragon
3DS FC
3952-7603-8923
Switch FC
7836 7746 6189
I'll be the first to admit that I roll alot. It's a bad habit that I cant seem to shake but even I have my limits. One of the worst moments I've ever had on For Glory was the Legendary ROLLING BOWSER! I can't remember who the player was but I do remember what they did. They spent the WHOLE game rolling. Unfortunately for me, I still haven't gotten spacing and punishing rolls down so I lost that battle. Then they left after the first battle which did not help at all. That was also during a really bad time on For Glory (I had 5 losses before that time.... at the end, I had 15) I haven't gotten on For Glory sense then.

Last edited:

Uffe

Smash Hero
It's one thing to use Rolling as a legit move for positioning and trying to avoid a telegraphed (or read) move.

It's another thing entirely to do this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70THZk-HGk0

As you can see, this is not really an optimal strategy. I only had so much trouble with it because it was the first time I've ever seen it. It did stall the game for a long time, but in the end it was all for nothing.
That dude uses more roll outs than a Miltank. Sucks for Zelda. Did you get the person's name? I'd like to not deal with them in the long run. Fortunately, I use Ness, so I'd just spam the hell out of PK Thunder if someone went ahead and ran to the far ends of earth with me. Even then, if they have a lot more percent than you, then surely the rules apply the same as they do in tournaments, with there being no Sudden Death, do they not? Someone might want to look into that. If this is all For Glory is going to come down to, then I may as well just not play other players online.

Last edited:

Shiliski

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4570-7099-6924
there are people in for glory that literally do nothing but roll just to move around stage lol
To be fair, he was actually trying at first, but then I did this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtLiRxd-EzI

After that he took a single one of my stocks and the rest of the match was a silly chase.

I don't really think it's unstoppable, but if you're resorting to this then you ought to just admit that you've completely given up.

That dude uses more roll outs than a Miltank. Sucks for Zelda. Did you get the person's name? I'd like to not deal with them in the long run. Fortunately, I use Ness, so I'd just spam the hell out of PK Thunder if someone went ahead and ran to the far ends of earth with me. Even then, if they have a lot more percent than you, then surely the rules apply the same as they do in tournaments, with there being no Sudden Death, do they not? Someone might want to look into that. If this is all For Glory is going to come down to, then I may as well just not play other players online.
I left it out of the video on purpose, but if you must know... nicholas was his name. All lowercase just like that.

To be fair, this is the exception and not the rule, but it's something that people will probably run across eventually.

Last edited:

Super Writer

Smash Apprentice
Rolling's my bread to my positioning's butter.

I spam rolls only to quickly get into the right positions, and capitalize on everything going on. Got me a victory with like 6 kills with Marth (while playing on Random online, I don't even play Marth normally) in one match because I just went between everyone and got them with his neutral B. It was a walk off stage, which helped in that regard. It's also how I play Ganondorf.

Sure roll spamming is obnoxious, but it has it's place if used wisely.

Also in defense of the angry grab game, it's fun, a quick match to see who can get who, like two players at once deciding to put their rolling/grabbing skills to the test. I don't know maybe it's a non-competitive thing...

Uffe

Smash Hero
Then they left after the first battle which did not help at all. That was also during a really bad time on For Glory (I had 5 losses before that time.... at the end, I had 15) I haven't gotten on For Glory sense then.
You should not only save the matches you've won, but also the ones you've lost, that way you can see where you went wrong and how you could fix the issues you're dealing with at the moment. From the looks of it, you use Palutina. I don't know if she has projectile or not, but if she does, and assuming it's good, as in, won't leave you open, then use that to your advantage. Especially against someone like Bowser. And if you're feeling bad that you lost against a rather slow character, don't. He's a powerhouse, so his strength makes up for his speed. Right now, I'm having trouble facing off against Little Mac because of his speed and strength, and his constant rolling. I was fortunate enough to defeat my opponent, and I saved my replays to see where I was messing up.

Sometimes you've got to tell yourself to stop doing stupid things while going against another player. For example, a few days ago I purposely did a down air on my opponent while coming back from his up-smash against me, and what did he do? He hit me. I did it again, got the same punishment, and thought, "I deserved that. Why am I doing this?" I had to take a different approach. As for spacing, I don't know what Palutina is like, so maybe you can get some help from those parts on the Character Discussions. To put it in simple terms, attack and pull back, but don't make it predictable.

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
It's not really all that effective if you know how to punish it. I always just raptor boost them when they roll.

Clemente

Smash Journeyman
It's not really all that effective if you know how to punish it. I always just raptor boost them when they roll.
Not everyone mains Captain Falcon and can chase people down like that.

PCHU

Smash Lord
You should not only save the matches you've won, but also the ones you've lost, that way you can see where you went wrong and how you could fix the issues you're dealing with at the moment. From the looks of it, you use Palutina. I don't know if she has projectile or not, but if she does, and assuming it's good, as in, won't leave you open, then use that to your advantage. Especially against someone like Bowser. And if you're feeling bad that you lost against a rather slow character, don't. He's a powerhouse, so his strength makes up for his speed. Right now, I'm having trouble facing off against Little Mac because of his speed and strength, and his constant rolling. I was fortunate enough to defeat my opponent, and I saved my replays to see where I was messing up.

Sometimes you've got to tell yourself to stop doing stupid things while going against another player. For example, a few days ago I purposely did a down air on my opponent while coming back from his up-smash against me, and what did he do? He hit me. I did it again, got the same punishment, and thought, "I deserved that. Why am I doing this?" I had to take a different approach. As for spacing, I don't know what Palutina is like, so maybe you can get some help from those parts on the Character Discussions. To put it in simple terms, attack and pull back, but don't make it predictable.
Duuude, I haven't seen you in forever!

And you're right; fundamentals play a very huge part in this game since hitboxes in general are way more specific and rolls are slightly more difficult to punish.
In general, characters don't have as great of an air game (aside from a select few that are able to get away with a bit too much), so there's either a forced approach or an obstacle course of projectiles.
Spacing is very important, but more specifically in the form of positioning, finding the optimal spot to "hang around" rather than pressure with attacks (most characters [at least my favorites] just absolutely cannot land with aerials because of the cooldown, and even pressuring with them is tough considering people don't really favor the air anymore after the airdodge nerf).
If you can hang around a spot and understand what you can intercept with or approach with semi-reliably, you're in a good spot.

And sometimes, matches still take too long, even with all of that good stuff.
This is where the hard reads come in, and generally, it isn't hard to make them since the engine allows for some stupidity.
If I dash towards someone, the optimal strategy (sometimes) is for them to shieldgrab, but I choose to run past them often because I expect a roll; sometimes I get it, sometimes I don't, but if they remain in shield and you recognize this fast enough, chances are that you can do a turnaround grab and basically get a free throw for just dashing past them.
Rolls are good in this game, but don't get locked down in them -- find that optimal range to hang out in until you've got a plan, then roll out and away if things don't pan out.

It sounds simple, but it actually requires a lot of thought and practice.

Uffe

Smash Hero
Duuude, I haven't seen you in forever!

And you're right; fundamentals play a very huge part in this game since hitboxes in general are way more specific and rolls are slightly more difficult to punish.
In general, characters don't have as great of an air game (aside from a select few that are able to get away with a bit too much), so there's either a forced approach or an obstacle course of projectiles.
Spacing is very important, but more specifically in the form of positioning, finding the optimal spot to "hang around" rather than pressure with attacks (most characters [at least my favorites] just absolutely cannot land with aerials because of the cooldown, and even pressuring with them is tough considering people don't really favor the air anymore after the airdodge nerf).
If you can hang around a spot and understand what you can intercept with or approach with semi-reliably, you're in a good spot.

And sometimes, matches still take too long, even with all of that good stuff.
This is where the hard reads come in, and generally, it isn't hard to make them since the engine allows for some stupidity.
If I dash towards someone, the optimal strategy (sometimes) is for them to shieldgrab, but I choose to run past them often because I expect a roll; sometimes I get it, sometimes I don't, but if they remain in shield and you recognize this fast enough, chances are that you can do a turnaround grab and basically get a free throw for just dashing past them.
Rolls are good in this game, but don't get locked down in them -- find that optimal range to hang out in until you've got a plan, then roll out and away if things don't pan out.

It sounds simple, but it actually requires a lot of thought and practice.
I've been around from time to time, but mostly viewing the Pic of the Day topics. What are you talking about with the airdodge nerf? What's that about? As for the rollers, there have been times I'd dash away from them to see what they do next. You'll notice instantly that they roll one or two more times when you leave them. Rolling, as annoying as it is, is not only a bad habit, but a bad habit I find myself picking up. Normally, it's not something I do.

~Infinity~

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4441-8710-6567
Bunny! I figure you probably don't remember me (was that annoying kid named bmasterr15). You don't understanding how excited I am to see you!

Also (on a more relevant note):
Rolling is really funny. I love punishing my friends :)

Jerodak

Smash Lord
NNID
Jerodak
3DS FC
1633-5601-9085
A pretty simple way to punish rolls that everyone can do, is just knowing the spacing for rolls, Stand near or in where you know they will end up if they roll into you and have your punish ready when you see it happen. If you know they are going to roll away, then running into them as if trying to go for a grounded cross-up then doing a late dash attack tends to work pretty well also.

Roll towards tends to happen a lot more often when cornered at the ledge, I've seen quite a few players handle this with run up pivot grabs where they run past the area where your roll will put you instead of running past you to do it as if they were punishing a spot dodge.

Anyone could do either of these but the first option of being near or at point b of the roll is less risky, though they may decide to just not roll at all if they realize what you're doing, but shutting down the roll or limiting it's potency are both also good because that means you're removing their options.

If you just feel like you're not great at roll punishing then try a character that's naturally good at it at least till you get the hang of it, Link, C.Falcon, Charizard, and Diddy Kong are a few decent choices in that regard.

PCHU

Smash Lord
I've been around from time to time, but mostly viewing the Pic of the Day topics. What are you talking about with the airdodge nerf? What's that about? As for the rollers, there have been times I'd dash away from them to see what they do next. You'll notice instantly that they roll one or two more times when you leave them. Rolling, as annoying as it is, is not only a bad habit, but a bad habit I find myself picking up. Normally, it's not something I do.
I meant that airdodging into the ground now has landing lag.
Even so, I still don't feel comfortable punishing much because Ninetendo's wifi ain't the best; I frequently get put in okay connections that get worse with every consecutive match.
I feel bad because I've met some really cool people (including a Jigglypuff player I pretty much could not beat because I had no idea she has that much priority and range on her attacks), only to have the connection just take a continual dump on us as the games go by.

KurashiDragon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KurashiDragon
3DS FC
3952-7603-8923
Switch FC
7836 7746 6189

I used Megaman (my secondary.) Truth be told I should've just played the projectile game but hindsight is a *****. Also this guy didn't roll and then attack, he just rolled around like a maniac until he could find and opening...... and EVERY OTHER TIME TOO!

S2

Smash Lord
I think the issue with rolls right now is that something about the spacing or timing feels slightly different than previous games. Sometimes I'll use a down smash or something that feels like it would have punished them in Brawl, but not in this game. That's just something that will change with time and experience with this game (and a Gamecube controller in their hands for Wii U). Rolls are definitely punishable, they're just buffed here. And once people get more playtime under their belt, that roll spamming is going to get punished a lot harder.

lijero13ss

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lijero13ss
3DS FC
3024-5912-8660
I didn't realize that rolling was for "noobs." Well i used to roll 24/7 in every match until i found the former out. Since i've been trying to become a competitive player, ive been trying not to roll. Buts its so hard! Its just out of instinct that ive been rolling. Luckily, ive been able to do a better job now and find myself rolling far less.

Shen_Jehuty

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2423-3102-6095
I use rolling as a way to evade and confuse my opponent, as well as lure them into attacking me and use their vulnerability to land an attack on them. I find it very effective, hence why I use it a lot.

Raggnarok

Smash Rookie
I use Rolling to evade, but there are people who just take a Stock and start rolling across the stage and thrown weak projectiles like the Sheik's needles for the rest of the match trying to get a time out win or a Sudden Death, and that's just ****ing annoying.

The Original Zeph

Smash Cadet
NNID
Ryanime
3DS FC
0516-7265-4386
Gotta love people. Roll roll roll projectile roll roll roll bait attack roll grab throw roll projectile roll roll roll repeat. Dashing is overrated. Rolling and camping is the new meta.
Smash 4 online in a nutshell just stall the game and steal the win on sudden death.

Kamo.

Smash Apprentice
I bet excessive rolling could come from people being too unfamiliar with the physics and feel of Smash 4 to move around the stage as fluidly and intelligently as they would in previous Smash games, so they choose to roll since it's an easy way to reposition yourself despite how predictable it can be. Combine this with playing Smash on a handheld for the first time and it's not a good mix.

Then again, I haven't touched Smash 4 yet, so I don't know how much more effective or ineffective rolling is compared to 64/Melee/Brawl, but even if it is more effective I don't see competitive players abusing rolls 1-2 years down the road especially on the Wii U version.

Hayzie

Smash Lord
NNID
Hayzie
3DS FC
5000-3322-4068
Players that roll at you to attack.
Players that try to roll behind you and grab you.
Players that desperately try to grab you after you grabbed them, as if they are super mad or something.
Players that roll and then charge a smash attack.
Players that charge a smash attack and wait for you to walk in.
None of these are impractical tactics, though. ;)

Uffe

Smash Hero
I used Megaman (my secondary.) Truth be told I should've just played the projectile game but hindsight is a *****. Also this guy didn't roll and then attack, he just rolled around like a maniac until he could find and opening...... and EVERY OTHER TIME TOO!
That's a bummer. Well, Mega Man has a good down smash because it covers both sides. You may have used that, though, and still got the same results.

SaiPrime

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2294-4638-8843
You've all seen this online! The worst I've seen is players climbing up the ledge, and rolling all the way across the stage. I wish Smash had a chat so I could tell the guy to relax and that I wasn't going to hurt him.

Other things I see a lot:

Players that roll at you to attack.
Players that try to roll behind you and grab you.
Players that desperately try to grab you after you grabbed them, as if they are super mad or something.
Players that roll and then charge a smash attack.
Players that charge a smash attack and wait for you to walk in.
I main Little Mac, and I have a technique that usually works well for me. I actually balance rolling with dashing to make my approach hard to predict. I kinda pull a fakeout by doing things like dashing foward then rolling back, and I psych my opponents out by erratically rolling forward, back, back, forward, forward, back, etc., and then go in for the attack. It works pretty well for me.

KurashiDragon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KurashiDragon
3DS FC
3952-7603-8923
Switch FC
7836 7746 6189
A quick update. I went on for glory again and found another LEGENDARY ROLLING BOWSER! I used megaman for this time too except this time I projectiled a little more and spaced properly so I managed to win. Then they went with their less legedary rolling and SPAMMING SIDEB DARK PIT! I switched to lucario because I felt Lucario can punish rolls a little more. I won that time too. Now I feel less bad about For Glory though I'm sure that wont last long.

Last edited:

LoveGame

Master of the Disco Stick
NNID
HanabiKawai
3DS FC
5129-1774-2334
I tried to incorporate a lot of rolling into my Samus playstyle, but it seems like a lot of other characters' grabs have priority over hers, and I got punished a lot for it, so I stopped more or less.

On an unrelated note, I have a buddy who used to think rolling was the same thing as wavedashing.

Mizzy Moe

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3883-6486-6414
I do roll a lot but I'll run up on someon an if I think they will try to attack I'll roll back maybe once or twice and punish when they think I'll roll again but of course it's not fool proof :p

Ps Sonic players that roll all over the stage instead of dashing, approaching and all, take this L and you all make me a sad panda

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
People who roll spam are just a waste of my time. I roll just to evade attacks, not across the stage like a dumbass.

★Malik★™

Smash Ace
Yeah, I'm not a fan of those players. You're only gonna make me mad, lol. I roll, but only when I need to, not when I want to.

If one can't simply walk, I think you're a bit overly paranoid.

Top Bottom