• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Player Icon Customisation?

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
So as many people have already noticed, during the Smash Direct, Diddy and Lucario used their Brawl renders for their character icons, despite the fact that they clearly have Smash 4 renders on the Smash 4 website.

Many people have attributed these being as place holders, but it strikes me as odd that only these two characters had this, even though Lucario in particular has been revealed for a while. The renders for Smash 4 have probably been done for a long time too. Why would these two characters be the only ones to not have their new renders?

Well, this is pure speculation, but what if your character's icon is customisable? Like, using artwork from previous Smash entries, artwork from the games the character originates from, or even specially made artwork by artists who created the characters?

A similar concept existed in Tekken Tag Tournament 2, which is developed by Bandai Namco too.

Of course, these may very well be place holders, but I just find it odd that they haven't updated the portraits of these two specific characters. And regardless, this is a feature I would like to see, and one that isn't to far fetched considering the customisation options we are getting.

If this were to be a thing, what kind of portraits would you like for your favourite characters?

Here are some examples of ones I would like to see:

Last edited:

Goten21

Smash Journeyman
They either thought they are perfect as they are, or some of the videos were pre-small detail addons, like this

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I think you guys miss my point. I'm aware they could be placeholders, this topic is more for discussion on the possibility of custom player icons being a thing, specifically ones made by particular artists specifically for the game.

Goten21

Smash Journeyman
I think you guys miss my point. I'm aware they could be placeholders, this topic is more for discussion on the possibility of custom player icons being a thing, specifically ones made by particular artists specifically for the game.
With the detailed music options, this could very well be an option! I mean, 2 years of development went into this game
Who knows what might have been added.

Last edited:

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
Personally I think having varying character portraits contrast with each other too much. It's like looking at a MUGEN build of smash bros.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Hmm.. that IS interesting. Maybe we can use the bad melee art too?

Tornado_Man

Smash Lord
NNID
FireMegaBuster
Cool idea, though I don't know if they'd do all this because I can imagine not many people would use it.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I'm sure plenty of people would. Everyone used in Tekken. If they would in that, they will in Smash.

For reference, here's what it was like in TTT2. They essentially had various Japanese artists create artwork for the different characters, as alternatives to the CGI renders, if players preferred to use them. In Smash Bros, this could translate to the artists who created the characters create illustrations for the player cards. We could even see some crossover art (for example, the Mario character designer designing a Sonic portrait).

boss_man_sippy

Smash Rookie
Cool idea, though I don't know if they'd do all this because I can imagine not many people would use it.
I was thinking the same thing. Cool concept, but pretty much impractical... I have never pay attention to the character icon when playing.. I'm more concerned about keeping the other player from bashing my face in. Haha

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
They wouldn't just show up in the match though, they'd show up on loading screens and what not, like in the above shot.

To give an example of the whole "crossover" idea, look at the Mega Man and Greninja promotional posters. We get to see all of these different characters drawn by the Mega Man and Pokémon character designer respectively. This could be incorporated into player cards.

They wouldn't just show up in the match though, they'd show up on loading screens and what not, like in the above shot.

To give an example of the whole "crossover" idea, look at the Mega Man and Greninja promotional posters. We get to see all of these different characters drawn by the Mega Man and Pokémon character designer respectively. This could be incorporated into player cards.
You might be on to something here.

I'm liking this Namco Bandai influence on Smash Bros.!

boss_man_sippy

Smash Rookie
Ohhhhh, okay. I kinda see where you're going with this now. Yeah.. that would be interesting, but it would mean that the programmers would be adding extra content that doesn't particularly pertain to fighting. It would be cool to see this integrated into the game though. I would pay attention to the icons if they were presented in the way you're explaining.

Ohhhhh, okay. I kinda see where you're going with this now. Yeah.. that would be interesting, but it would mean that the programmers would be adding extra content that doesn't particularly pertain to fighting. It would be cool to see this integrated into the game though. I would pay attention to the icons if they were presented in the way you're explaining.
Like Target Run and Home Run Contest? Extra artwork would be fine! :smirk:

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I think some of you guys might be overestimating the complexity of this. At the least, I think alternative renders from past games would be a cool option.

If they can make hundreds of trophies, they can do this.

Heck, the stickers in Brawl already half serve this purpose.

boss_man_sippy

Smash Rookie
But this isn't stupid. Smash has hundreds of trophies and stickers in the game! Yet awesome artwork is bad? :glare:
I think you misinterpreted my post. I meant that artwork is good! Haha. I would seriously sit and analyze the trophies in Melee and Brawl! I used to read all the little bio's they had for them too!

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I'm attempting to make some mock ups to emphasise my idea, I'll post them when they are ready.

EDIT:

Just did this quickly, but yeah, this is what I mean. This artwork is from the Mega Man poster.

Last edited:

Ove

Smash Journeyman
Interesting idea. Customisable icons are not that unlikely, considering Sakurai has talked about a more personalised experience.

My bet is that we will see the SSB4 pictures, just like we did in Brawl.

Personally, I prefer the icons that the characters had in SSB64 and Melee.

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
I'm attempting to make some mock ups to emphasise my idea, I'll post them when they are ready.

EDIT:

Just did this quickly, but yeah, this is what I mean. This artwork is from the Mega Man poster.

Awesome. I assume it would be smaller scale so as to not obstruct the actual game. The star seems to stick out a little to far and would be better IMO if it overlapped behind Kirby.

Make a Bowser one pl0x :]

Top Bottom