• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PLAY SSBM ONLINE!!! ~Tutorial updates, & vid of my first online match!!~

Red Exodus

Smash Master
This is cool but I'd have to spend like $100 [ for a cube and then PSO] and I don't have that kinda money, and I still have to get a Wii.

biolizard89

Smash Apprentice
From what I've heard there is NO LAG, but something else called "Rubberbanding". I aplogise, but can someone explain to me what the difference is?
Rubber-banding occurs when on your Cube, you hit your opponent with a smash, but on your opponent's Cube, you missed (this discrepancy is usually caused by lag). Because the XY coords of your opponent are being synced from their Cube to yours, and they're staying still on their Cube but have a high velocity on yours, they keep flying away and then reappearing where they were originally standing (this occurs every 16-100 milliseconds, depending on your settings). It appears like they're attached to a rubber band, hence the name.

Now, here's the deal. From what I've heard from script testers, rubber-banding is virtually non-existent if you're using the latest scripts (which are NOT preincluded in the most recent GCARS-CS release, because that release hasn't been updated in a while). You'll need to update the scripts yourself. There is a VERY nice tutorial on doing this (it's not hard, it takes less than 15 minutes) on Fuzziqer's forums (look in the GCARS-CS subforum for the SSBM script thread, started by Glook). Once you have the updated scripts, rubber-banding shouldn't be a problem for the most part.

As for Mario Kart, it's not supported by GCARS-CS yet, and it's very laggy with Xlink Kai and Warp Pipe because the MKDD network protocol wasn't designed to handle network latency well (it was designed for LAN's, in which your ping is usually less than 1ms; on the Internet, it can be above 100-200ms). Once Mario Kart is supported by GCARS-CS, it will probably run quite well.

The_Famous_SK

Smash Apprentice
So how good is this right now? How different is it compared to the video at the beginning? And most importantly, how do you find other people to play with?

snazzypadgett

Smash Rookie
So how do we plug in these "straight-thru network cables?" I am still unsure on how the physical setup should look. Can someone shed some light on this?

Does this mean I have to have the cube next to the computer wired into the cable, with the router? No wireless connections will work?

biolizard89

Smash Apprentice
So how do we plug in these "straight-thru network cables?" I am still unsure on how the physical setup should look. Can someone shed some light on this?

Does this mean I have to have the cube next to the computer wired into the cable, with the router? No wireless connections will work?
Wireless connections between the Cube and the router will usually work, but will introduce extra lag (I am told around 5-10ms). This normally isn't a big deal on GCARS-CS, but if you're planning to use LAN tunnelers like Xlink Kai or Warp Pipe, you'll want wired for the best gameplay. As for how to wire it, I just have the GameCube's Broadband Adapter wired to my router. You should also be able to wire it to your computer with a crossover cable, but that's somewhat more complicated and really is pointless, since a router will cost you less than $20.

Kevvviiinnn

Smash Lord
i haven't tried ssbm online in the longest time. when i had tried it out, there was a large amount of rubber banding/lag. has it gotten better lately? if so, i might just try it out again.

Top Bottom