• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Play Defensively" What does that mean?

East

Crappy Imitation
Doing Tricks in a Mansion Location: Tokyo, JP
I'm relatively new to the competitive gaming scene, and ever since brawl has come out, among the slew of false "Advanced Techniques" I'ver heard many people say that the best way to play in brawl is defensively. My question is how exactly do I play defensively? I can't win if I don't use offensive moves.

The word is thrown around a lot, but I don't understand the deeper meaning behind it.

Can anyone enlighten me?

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
Instead of being the one constantly attacking your opponent, you let your opponent attack and then try to exploit any openings you find in their playing style.

A good example of defensive play is "camping" or running away and abusing projectiles to try and bait the opponent into making rash movements that can be punished.

rofa

Smash Journeyman
basically, when people say "play defensively" they are really saying "play smart." obviously, you need to attack to win, the thing is, that in brawl it is often much easier to counter attack your opponent when they miss an attack than to just flat out attack. this can be done through shield grabbing, dash grabbing, or just flat out hitting them when they miss a move.

think of smash as a game of trying to make your opponent look stupid by punishing his mistakes. here's an extreme example:

Player A is mindlessly offensive. he just attacks every chance he gets, plays no defense
Player B never initiates an attack, he always waits for Player A to try and attack before attacking back.

Let's say player A approaches player B with a dash attack. Player B can shield grab the dash attack, dodge the dash attack and then punish him, jump over the dash attack and land on him with an aerial, move out of the way of the dash attack and then punish him by dash grabbing or just hitting him.

So, as you can see, when you are playing defensively you give yourself lots of options to punish your opponent. In that example, player A had many choices to punish player B, all while player B was stuck doing his dash attack. Obviously, you need to find a middle ground between defense and offense that suits your play style, but the point of "play defensively" is basically to play off what your opponent is doing, rather than letting your opponent play off what you are doing.

Hope that made some sense?

UltraKyu

Smash Cadet
Use your Shield...

You can grab out of your Shield or Attack if your opponents attack has a "long" recovery.

Its just all about Mindgames these Days and being defensive and use your shield can be pretty annoying and confusing for your opponent.

cya

DiasFlac

Smash Journeyman
Just remember that playing defensively and camping are two different things. Defensive playing is mainly staying close enough to your opponent that he can't right out attack you while you wait for him to make the first move or using certain attacks with little lag to make your opponent make the first move so you can recover from that attack then punish your opponent.

Camping is flat out running and spamming projectiles till your opponent gets close enough for you to either run some more or use a strong attack to knock him back so you can continue spamming projectiles. (mostly seen done with Pit,ToonLink,Link,Falco,Wolf and Dedede)

Neither tactic is bad and both can be very difficult to defeat. Defensive playing and camping can easily tie in one but they are different for the most part.

shadydentist

Smash Lord
basically, when people say "play defensively" they are really saying "play smart."
Not necessarily true. Things like dash dancing and shield pressuring are offensively oriented, but also work to force your opponent to make a mistake. But yea, playing defensively dominates in brawl.

Tin

Smash Journeyman
IMO, defensive and campy are different.

When someone camps, they run around and be a stupid ho THEN use their kill move. When you play defensively, you react to what your opponent does and punish. Be reactionary.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Not necessarily true. Things like dash dancing and shield pressuring are offensively oriented, but also work to force your opponent to make a mistake. But yea, playing defensively dominates in brawl.
There are some characters however that can punish people effectively for playing defensively. Characters like Metaknight, Diddy, and G&W are amazingly good because of that. Simple examples include how Metaknight uses D-tilt, Diddy has Bananas and a great Dash attack, and G&W has the best B-air in the game.

renshai117

Smash Cadet
Is there any way for a character with no projectiles to truly be defensive against say Pit or a space animal? You are kind of at their mercy when it comes to the pace of the match, if you dont stay on them, they get gay with projectiles. Also, where does shining fit into this?

shadydentist

Smash Lord
There are some characters however that can punish people effectively for playing defensively. Characters like Metaknight, Diddy, and G&W are amazingly good because of that. Simple examples include how Metaknight uses D-tilt, Diddy has Bananas and a great Dash attack, and G&W has the best B-air in the game.
Agreed. Those characters that you named have excellent approaches, and can punish campers fairly well.

DragonBlade

Smash Journeyman
Go watch some good Melee tournament videos and compare the style to Brawl games, and you will understand.

Greenpoe

Smash Ace
Playing defensively is using low commitment, highly unpunishable moves: Primarily your moves that are fast, or have a large hitbox so you won't be punished until you can shield/attack again.

One common mistake Ike players make is spamming Ike's punishable moves (Like his smashes and special moves). Those players should play more defensively, such as by using his A-A-A combo and dash attack move.

ThaDirtyG

Smash Apprentice
Pick pit and press B.
HAHA! So true! Basically, I agree with Rofa. Defensive play is based around reacting to your opponent. Ideally you'd like to control the pace of the game - force your opponent to come to you - which opens up the many defensive options within brawl. You can then punish them.

Twin Dreams

Smash Ace
Defensive = a reactionary strategy

Camping = Using long range attacks from a specific part of the map

So, I suppose that Camping is a Defensive strategy.

S2

Smash Lord
I think we should redefine "playing defensive" as running away and throwing Din's fires.

Playing defensive means making the opponent come to you. If your character lacks good approaches in a matchup and you don't have to be aggressive (your not being laser spammed as a non-projectile character, etc)... its simply forcing the opponent to be the aggressive one.

Usually because it gives you an advantage. Some characters excel at playing defensively, which leads to a lot of camping characters.

Sweetical

Smash Rookie
defense

Basically what everyone else has said haha.

Heres another example. As Link, one of my strategies is to stand in the middle of the stage (Final Destination) and throw bombs and boomerangs. (mostly bombs) since these moves are easier to dodge than, say, spamming Pit's arrows, opponents can get close without getting too frustrated. However, say I throw a boomerang and the roll dodge and come up next to me. There is a little lag between the time they finish the roll and put their shield up. I see this, and start charging a spin attack, and release a little bit before they come up. Since the spin attack is continuous (if you come up into it you pretty much get hit no matter what) it should deal a small amount of damage and a little knock back. I then take advatage by either:

a. if he is too far away to start a combo or reveal an oppening, pull a bomb out and go wherever from that point.

b. if he is close enough with high damage, go in for the kill

c. if he is close enough with low damage, combo

(you can do this with toon link as well, witch is useful because toon link's boomerang is better and he can combo more easily)

if you do this too much, though, you'll get killed. So you need more than one way to play defensively to win

-shield grabbing
-attack out of shield (you can UpB immediatly out of shield with little lag by tapping up while shielding and then b. it has to be somewhat fast or you'll jump.
-just dodge an attack and attack back, (run at opponent, stop, they might have started an attack when they saw you coming. dodge attack, punish)

there are many ways to play defensively, and you can discover which ones fit your style the best

Andromeda

Smash Lord
Wait for your opponent to make a mistake so you can punish him. Pretty much that. It's a real pain when playing with Dedede, if you miss, you will always get punished.

Top Bottom