• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Play a Real Game 2 Results- Irving, TX

D

Deleted member

Yo luck took out denti in winners of pm?
Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeah LETS GO LUCK
<3

Oracle

Smash Master
A lot of what you just wrote is completely baseless, so I'm not gonna bother responding to most of it. Just a few points
A helpful TO would aid this by providing entrants a basic verbal description of what their opponent looks like if they don't know, or point to where they are in the venue assuming they're even present.
Literally every time I called a match, if one opponent was there and the other wasn't, I told the guy there his opponent's tag, where I thought they would be if I knew, and what they looked like if I knew, and/or pointed out where they were if I could find them with my 6'6" vantage point. If that didn't work, then i HAD to rely on the player to find their own opponent, because the only alternative of me taking you around the venue looking for someone neither of us knows wastes a MASSIVE amount of time, because
a. I need to be at the TO desk calling matches, which I cannot do if I'm running around looking for somebody
b. If I did that for EVERY SINGLE MATCH where this happened, it would take 5+ minutes PER MATCH just to get started! We would have been there EVEN LONGER!
Me walking around the venue shouting someone's tag is no more or less effective than a player doing the same thing. (and again, this would have been almost a non issue if the microphone was actually working)
This is at least partially because you seemed to care more about winning your events than hosting a tournament, and I'm sure this is actually a bigger part of why the tournament was so far behind schedule than you might care to admit. I don't think it's unfair to suspect that you hosted the amount of events you did because it potentially meant more money that you could put in your pocket after winning some of them.
Is that some kind of stupid troll attempt? I literally DID NOT ENTER PM SINGLES, MY STRONGEST EVENT, WHERE I WOULD HAVE LIKELY GOTTEN 2ND OR 1ST AND WON $200+. I only entered doubles with austin because I had agreed to team with him months ago, and singles for melee to mess around, as I haven't seriously played that game in a long time. In the events that I did enter, I played zero friendlies and zero warmup matches the entire day, and did my best to ensure that other people were playing before I started all my matches. That is blatantly a false, unwarranted personal attack. Did I say something rude to you or something at the tournament or something?

As for the kicking people off of friendlies or w/e: It isn't that hard to tell people playing friendlies "gtfo we have a tournament" or at the least coming to get me if they refuse to get off. I didn't think that needed to be said, but apparently I was wrong, which is understandable given the newer players, so I apologize. But for everyone reading this, for future reference, if someone's friendlies are impeding your tournament match, then you have the right to do whatever you want, including resetting consoles or turning off tvs, to get them off the setup (unless its a dedicated friendly setup or something lol). Sizzle already handled most of the actual criticisms, which I explained and apologized for. At this point it seems like you're just whining and attributing the tournament not going well to me being some kind of lazy, greedy ****-up, which is just hilarious.

In the end it came down to 114 people being in that small ish venue for 4 different events. That many smashers in one place tends to make people want to not spend all day in there, which is why so many people left. I take responsibility because I did not implement the sign out sheet like I thought I would. Also, there were just not enough setups, which is mostly because there was not enough room to put the setups. Something had to be sacrificed to run the tournament at a reasonable pace, and melee pool rounds just happened to be the most reasonable thing to lose, which really sucks and I wholeheartedly apologize to all the melee players for.

From now on, Parg will be a project M only series, but I will be running melee only tournaments at epik as a separate series so the players in irving still have tournaments to go to. After Epik moves to their larger area, then we might try to host both simultaneously again, but for now its clear that can't happen.

G-Rabbit

Smash Journeyman
I had a great time at this tournament.

Thank you Oracle for hosting such a large tournament in an efficient manner. I see there's some criticism, but I thought you did a great job, and I've definitely seen worse TOing skills for smaller events.

Shoutouts to the DFW crew and their mastery of Project M. It's always a pleasure playing you guys, and I'm glad to see that I'm moving up the latter in terms of stacking up.

Shoutouts to my crew (College Station). Many of you guys are brand new and this was your first tournament. I think you all did great!

Big shoutouts to my doubles partner, Tyler, for helping us be the ONLY TEAM to take a game off of Oracle and Awestin (the highlight of my tourney experience).

Problem0: It was fun to finally play you since Forte didn't end up happening. Good games. I look forward to our next encounter.

BIG SHOUTOUT to Kirby for being the conductor of the Jank Train. We're gonna go far kid.

&Y_

Smash Cadet
Didn't do as well as I hoped, but there's always next time.

Shoutouts to Magmios, that set was so much fun! I can't wait to play your ZSS again.

&Y - Thanks for teaching me DACUS and all that, I'm getting it down. Hopefully we'll play so more at a UTD fest.
Awesome. Lucas's Dacus is really fun.

D

Deleted member

Every single time G rabbit goes to something we can never meet up
noooooooooooooooooooo my only other toonlink...
WE WILL REVIVE THE MASTER RACE

tripp6313

Smash Apprentice
Here lets do some shout outs...

First person... ORACLE dude i don't care what I'm reading in other posts dude. You're still my fav T.O. that I've had host a tourney. I always have a blast coming out to your tourney's and the Dallas crew in general has a lot of class and that i respect a lot. This was behind schedule but that is just how it is man. schedules are a ***** and you gotta do what you gotta do. host as much as you want. Enter if you want because why not right? and hell dude you even sacrificed yourself this tourney from playing just so you could speed up the tourney... ain't no reason on why I should be ******** about how late it was... Honestly i was glad it went that late. I friggin play the same person every day and this was my once a month chance to play with people who are a HUGE challenge and walk away with new skills to improve myself. So yea man thanks for running this for us... I loved this tourney. I'll plan for PaRG 3 and go to LTC 2... because that's just how it is man.

GGER- sorry man i was the dead weight in Team ****** Bro

GRAND- dude gotta give you a few points evidently you did better than I expected and that's awesome man. I guess who needs practice right haha?

DarkGun- FRIGGIN SICK BRO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Dude you did it you got over those nerves and you busted out that Lu I've been getting my butt kicked by for two months and it was awesome! You're definitely the star of S Ville and just think we've gotten this good in one year worth of play. wait till we hit 2 years :)

G RABBIT- Dude that Kirby man... just dat Kirby. You're busting out some sick stuff there and i can't wait to play ya again! I'm kinda bummed that i couldn't see your bracket matches because i bet they were AWESOME!!! You're a solid player and a really chill guy man. Hope we get to play again soon!

BEC- ALL THE TRASH TALK!!!!!!! and shade's battle, and our confusion on how diddy is related to DK (btw just googled it he's the nephew)... And honesty dude you're Lu is pretty good... A LOT better than it was in forte and that is saying something because that wasn't that long ago for you to get that polish. So big props. I did watch you're double matches with whit and that was pretty awesome you're quite a leader in a match and look like you knew what to do in doubles so big props there too. Ever need a teammate i'd be down! Oh... and P.S. I totally went back on the Lucario boards to read more ;) (I'm in your club house reading your posts :p)

QQQQQQQ7777777-Best tag name ever bro hahaha... not bad for your first tourney man.. you're a pretty cool kid and i hope to see ya again

ABSOLUTE BLACK- dude... I really liked playing against ya... I dreaded seeing that you played roy though because I'm so mix on how to play that match up.. but dude you rocked that Roy like he was you're main boy!... I hope to play you again

NOXD... dude sorry i didn't do dinner with ya... I kinda was preoccupied trying to find everyone in my group to find out what was up :/ but your ness and Lucius were pretty legit man.

LUCK- Dude you're os friggin good man... like a thousand times better than at Forte...I'm terrified of that monkey magic you got going. I hope you spent those two dollars wisely :p

LK- dude you're peach is really good man. thanks for putting P:M first and finishing it out with us and also not being one of those guys it was great getting to play ya... I hope you'll give P:M another go

BLANK- Dude... i've been there... LTC literally made me put down my controller for 3 months and say I shouldn't play this game because I was so pissed off... It takes time bro and it'll happen. You're not bad at all and did a lot better coming out of casual play than i did... I just had the match up experience and It was fun playing you regardless

TUCUS-BAH... DUDE THAT MATCH!... I haven't had to bust out the terrified keep my last stock or else i loose match in so long... it was AMAZING...><

ANT- that was pretty much the most solid Mario i have ever played in my life man... I don't usually die at 80% and that blew me away.. thanks for kicking my butt

DISAFTER- Man dude your Lucius is really friggin polished... I didn't know what to do with anything there man... Great match and hope i can get a round 2

MUMBLE- I love seeing other squirtle players... I LOVE it more whenever they are really good. keep on repping Billy's Squirtle Academy man haha. I hope to get to see more of you're badassitude getting there.

BWETT- Thanks for Billy's Squirtle Academy... I've been practicing faithfully the stuffy you were showing us for hrs at a night... I'm going to get better man.

KEYS- Dude you're Zelda is still awesome to see play... and thanks for the compliment... i've been playing a lot trying to get to that next level.

BLINK- I saw that wolf... HOLY CRAP man.

CORY- It's always a blast getting to hang out with ya man haha.... And congrats on being the first Ganondorf to ever beat my squirtle :p.... From the biggest smasher with the smallest character you've ever seen.

2 BIT- keep being cool kid... you've got all the respect from me

SOUTHERN GENT- Dude your Ness looked so much better this time... and so glad to see that your still here man... I hope we get to play next time

SETHLON- Keep being that awesome guy you are!

TWERKING LIKE MILEY- Best name ever dude... just gotta say BEST name EVER

APATHETIC TOASTER AND D MAN- Hope we get to play again guys... that was so much fun

TY
- Thanks for the Falco vs Squirtle match... I needed that warm up... it was a lot of fun and I hope to play ya again

College station crew- guys y'all are still my fav. crew to hang out with! (aside from mine cuz ya know... ya know ;))

Dallas Crew
- keep being badasses!

S-Ville Crew- its time to go back to the drawing board we just got or vid card which means its game reviewing time :)

xoRi

Smash Rookie
Literally every time I called a match, if one opponent was there and the other wasn't, I told the guy there his opponent's tag, where I thought they would be if I knew, and what they looked like if I knew, and/or pointed out where they were if I could find them with my 6'6" vantage point. If that didn't work, then i HAD to rely on the player to find their own opponent, because the only alternative of me taking you around the venue looking for someone neither of us knows wastes a MASSIVE amount of time, because
a. I need to be at the TO desk calling matches, which I cannot do if I'm running around looking for somebody
b. If I did that for EVERY SINGLE MATCH where this happened, it would take 5+ minutes PER MATCH just to get started! We would have been there EVEN LONGER!
Me walking around the venue shouting someone's tag is no more or less effective than a player doing the same thing. (and again, this would have been almost a non issue if the microphone was actually working)
I'll take your word for it that you did this for the other events, but for melee singles, I don't think I saw you at the computer very much, probably because you were participating. I only participated in melee singles, so whenever I needed information from a TO, except for I think one or two times, I think someone other than you gave/received information from me. And whenever it was someone else, they couldn't give me the information that I needed that you probably would have been able to provide, had you been at the desk. It just seems to me like whenever TO's participate in events at big tournaments, that's basically asking for everything to slow down.

Is that some kind of stupid troll attempt? I literally DID NOT ENTER PM SINGLES, MY STRONGEST EVENT, WHERE I WOULD HAVE LIKELY GOTTEN 2ND OR 1ST AND WON $200+. I only entered doubles with austin because I had agreed to team with him months ago, and singles for melee to mess around, as I haven't seriously played that game in a long time. In the events that I did enter, I played zero friendlies and zero warmup matches the entire day, and did my best to ensure that other people were playing before I started all my matches. That is blatantly a false, unwarranted personal attack. Did I say something rude to you or something at the tournament or something?
None of this was meant to troll you or anything like that, I'm trying to be as real as I can here, but unfortunately there's some information that I didn't know about your situation that definitely would have been valuable for me to know before saying what I said. The suspicion I mentioned about you hosting more events that you could enter and potentially win was not intended to be a personal attack, it's just something that made sense in my mind. However, I did fail to consider information that was already out there (you not entering in PM), and I apologize for that, that was my mistake completely. You weren't rude to me at the venue at all, my objective here isn't to make you feel bad or grill you for the sake of it, it's just to offer my thoughts.

I guess I didn't emphasize enough that this is just ME. This is all just coming from my perspective alone, all right? I probably could have done a better job of making my post not sound so personal, but that's just a problem with my writing skills, as well as me just being somewhat of an impulsive decision maker when it comes to giving feedback whenever I feel kind of strongly about something; like there's a lot that's worth saying. Please forgive me for that.

As for the kicking people off of friendlies or w/e: It isn't that hard to tell people playing friendlies "gtfo we have a tournament" or at the least coming to get me if they refuse to get off. I didn't think that needed to be said, but apparently I was wrong, which is understandable given the newer players, so I apologize. At this point it seems like you're just whining and attributing the tournament not going well to me being some kind of lazy, greedy ****-up, which is just hilarious.
I had a couple problems with people not getting off of their friendlies so I could play a bracket match, but these problems were pretty minor. I might have made it seem like these were very large problems, but they're not, I said a lot because I wanted to be clear, but I guess I wasn't. This is more of a reflection on the players rather than you as a TO, actually, because this is only really speaking to a very small minority of stubborn people that I happened to run into this situation with, so I suppose I probably should have directed this more specifically at the people I was having problems with than you, so I apologize for that. In my shoutouts post I plan to address specific people.

In the end it came down to 114 people being in that small ish venue for 4 different events. That many smashers in one place tends to make people want to not spend all day in there, which is why so many people left. I take responsibility because I did not implement the sign out sheet like I thought I would. Also, there were just not enough setups, which is mostly because there was not enough room to put the setups. Something had to be sacrificed to run the tournament at a reasonable pace, and melee pool rounds just happened to be the most reasonable thing to lose, which really sucks and I wholeheartedly apologize to all the melee players for.
Honestly, I'm still finding it kind of hard to believe that you didn't expect more people to show up than you did, especially when you're hosting 4 different events split between 2 games that appeal to different people with some rollover interest, and especially considering that the scenes for both games are kind of exploding everywhere. I can't fault you for that very much though, because like you said, the venue couldn't accommodate the number of setups that people brought.

From now on, Parg will be a project M only series, but I will be running melee only tournaments at epik as a separate series so the players in irving still have tournaments to go to. After Epik moves to their larger area, then we might try to host both simultaneously again, but for now its clear that can't happen.
This is pretty obviously for the best and I'm glad to hear this, I'd be interested in coming to an Irving melee-only tournament in the future. (That is if I'm not banned from coming or something, I kinda made you mad without wanting to so I'd understand if you wouldn't want to see me around)

At the same time though, TO'ing means you're putting yourself in a position where you're subject to be scrutinized more often than someone else. And though you've partially accepted this, I think you'd probably owe it to yourself to hold up to this kind of scrutiny a little better, even if some of it is kind of unreasonable, based on misinformation, or comes off as emotionally charged. A lot of the way you responded came across as kind of overreactive to me. I realize you were just defending yourself, but at the same time I'm sure you could agree that you could've responded better to this.

I'll wholeheartedly acknowledge that I could've phrased my post in such a way to make it more helpful than hurtful, because it actually did devolve into stuff that was probably better left unsaid towards the end now that I'm seeing how you're reacting to it.

Are we cool after all this? Is there anything else you want to clarify or let me clarify? I don't want to be treated differently just because I made an attempt to give constructive criticism to someone who gives more to this community than I do. Sure it was a flawed attempt, but not completely flawed.

Zydrah

Smash Rookie
Yeah honestly half of the set ups were being used for friendlies at one point so swiss could have been done, but it's whatever. Good thing PaRG is being made into a Project M tourney because that's what it kind of turned out to be.

xoRi

Smash Rookie
The main thing I want you to acknowledge is that even though you did sacrifice a lot for making the tournament run better, there was still more initiative you could've taken that I didn't see, and maybe you didn't see where you could've taken it either, but evidently it was pretty obvious to me and a lot of other people where additional initiative could've been taken.

As long as you make it apparent that you're trying your best I don't have a problem, but it wasn't apparent to me or a lot of others, so naturally they have problems.

-=Untamed-Beast=-

Smash Journeyman
Edit: The above post probably negates the point of this post. Nice timing. @_@

Well I did better than I thought even though I was entered as soap lol
I could have sworn that at DIME 8, my memory card had the tags SOUP (or was S0UP?) and SOAP entered one after the other in my name list (can't check now; data overwritten). If those aren't two different players, then the fact that you unintentionally entered as soap confuses me.
Such a non-issue, and yet I'm wondering about that.

Last edited:

Oracle

Smash Master
Yeah honestly half of the set ups were being used for friendlies at one point so swiss could have been done, but it's whatever. Good thing PaRG is being made into a Project M tourney because that's what it kind of turned out to be.
If we had like 4 more melee setups swiss would have been perfect :(

D

Deleted member

If we had like 4 more melee setups swiss would have been perfect :(
I would have brought my bigger CRT TV and Cube stuff but I carpooled and I didn't have a guarantee I could bring my bigger Melee SetUp TV home. D:

AeroLink_the_SoulMaster

Let's rock, baby!
@ Oracle Oracle

I'm not going to try to change your opinion on the responsibilities of TO's and tournament entrants, but I am going to offer you some perspective on how I, an entrant, felt about this specific tournament and about your style of TO'ing.

I completely agree with you that entrants ought to feel obligated to keep a tournament running as smooth as possible. Entrants are spending their money so they can compete with other entrants who paid, so they should be motivated to keep themselves informed about where they need to be and what they need to do. This is what should happen ideally.

Key word: ideally. As you're obviously aware, this doesn't always happen in reality.

In reality, your average entrant doesn't know how to enter their name and winning/losing status into whatever program you're using, and even if they were able to figure it out, some of them might assume that, as an entrant and not a TO, they don't even have the authority to attempt doing this in the first place, that it's a responsibility of the TO or his chosen assistants to take care of this. At least, that's what I assumed. I know if I were running a tournament or something, I probably wouldn't want a bunch of strangers messing with my laptop.

In reality, it's kind of a struggle to search for somebody you need to play with when all you know is their tag, and you don't even know what they look like. This is especially a struggle when people leave the venue pretty freely. A helpful TO would aid this by providing entrants a basic verbal description of what their opponent looks like if they don't know, or point to where they are in the venue assuming they're even present.

In reality, there are a lot of people that get so engaged in their friendlies in other rooms that they don't even know that they're supposed to be playing somebody in bracket. I know this is kind of a struggle, but for the sake of everybody participating in the tournament, a good TO would try his hardest to make sure that EVERYONE knows what they're supposed to be doing, you can't just assume that everyone knows just because they're SUPPOSED to know.

In reality, there are a lot of people that get so engaged in their friendlies that they don't even care to be where they're supposed to be, even if they DO know. I would think that an appropriate responsibility of a TO would be to ensure that every entrant is on-task. This is worth doing for the sake of the entrants who actually DO make it a priority to be informed and on-task, but are only able to do what they're supposed to be as fast as the tournament environment is letting them. (which was not very fast for this tournament. Melee singles started several hours behind schedule because of too many people using setups for friendlies and not enough bracket matches happening at any given time).

In reality, there are a lot of people that get so engaged in their friendlies that whenever another entrant tells them to hurry up or tries to pull them off the setup so they can play a bracket match, the people playing friendlies don't move. They care more about staying in their own game than recognizing bracket matches as a higher priority, even though they SHOULD be able to make this distinction on their own, and let the people who paid to compete play the game. A good TO would realize this inevitability and make sure that the people who are SUPPOSED to be playing actually ARE playing by pulling more friendlies. After all, the TO is the arbiter of all disputes; entrants don't have this type of authority. TO's ought to use this power more accordingly than it was at ParG 2.

Those are the main things I wanted to get across to you. I realize I'm harping on you kind of a lot, but I'm not super angry at you or 100% dissatisfied with the way this tournament went. I'm trying my best to be fair, as well as give you some perspective that I know I would probably appreciate if I were a TO myself. As a person who's only been involved with the community for 4 months, this weekend overall, including the tournament, was a lot of fun for me. However, considering how ParG2 went, I probably won't be coming down to future pargs. There were several people at the UTD smashfest the previous night who had gone to ParG 1 that shared this attitude with me.

Oh, and before I forget, I also want to talk about how I think Gabe or WaterlessFishie stacks up to you in terms of TO'ing based on going to DIME's 5, 6, 7, hosted by Gabe, and ParG 2, hosted by you.

Long story short, Gabe carries out all the responsibilities and obligations of a TO I mentioned above that I (and surely a lot of other people) appreciate a whole lot. However, you don't do these things all the time.

Unlike you, from what I've seen, Gabe doesn't always assume or expect that everyone's doing what they're supposed to be. Assumptions like those are what slow down progress for the very real reasons I mentioned above. Gabe will readily make sacrifices and accommodations to make sure everything goes how it's supposed to, even if it means that he has to open up his house up from 9PM-3AM to like, 30 strangers to make sure that the tournament runs as he said it would. Yeah, of course doing that isn't the ideal situation for everybody involved, but it was an accommodation he made for the sake of preserving the integrity and fairness of the tournament as best as he could at the time. And you know what? I'm pretty sure a lot of people appreciated that he did that. I know I did. I was one of the people who made it out of pools and into bracket but definitely wasn't going to win, but I came to Gabe's house and stayed as long as I could even after playing my 2 sets in bracket because I wanted to show that I had as much respect for what was originally planned as Gabe did.

Now you on the other hand, you made the choice to host like 5 different events that each attracted a lot of entrants. 40 more people were present than you expected, and while I think it's pretty reasonable to accept that things will run behind schedule by virtue of that alone, that's not the actual problem that I have with how the situation was handled at ParG2. There are more reasons (the ones I mentioned above) than just "more people showed up" as to why the tournament ran behind schedule. With the amount of people that showed up, sure, it's pretty obvious that the tournament wouldn't have proceeded according to schedule anyways, but it fell further behind schedule than it had to, and instead of doing everything in your power to at least somewhat alleviate this, you left more of it up to everyone else than you probably should have.

This is at least partially because you seemed to care more about winning your events than hosting a tournament, and I'm sure this is actually a bigger part of why the tournament was so far behind schedule than you might care to admit. I don't think it's unfair to suspect that you hosted the amount of events you did because it potentially meant more money that you could put in your pocket after winning some of them.

I realize that probably comes off as a pretty harsh criticism, and it is, but it's a fair one, and that's what I'm trying to emphasize more than anything else with this wall of text directed at you: fairness.

I think if you try your best to be fair and accommodating to people, people will recognize it and appreciate you a whole lot more as a result than if you don't consider fairness as important.

That's something I think Gabe understands and acts on, and you don't.

I would greatly appreciate if you read this feedback and responded, but don't feel obligated to respond if you don't want to.
I was originally going to do my shoutouts on this post, but it turns out that I actually had a lot more to say than I thought I did, so I'll do them on another post lol.
Ok dude, I'm going to put it like this: You make Oracle seem like this douche that only cares about winning money when he really isn't that way, while putting Gabe on this esteemed pedestal, pretty much sounding like Gabe is so much better as a TO and he's so fair, and so good, and Oracle is the exact opposite, unfair, only cares about the money, etc (for someone that only cares about pocketing money from his own tournaments, he sure didn't win as much of what was possible to win, apparently). That's what I get from reading all of your post, and it's very biased. You're just vilifying Oracle (you probably hardly know him) and to me that's not really fair, as you so seem to advocate. In the end, the tournament ran fine; yes it could have been ran better, but the fact that there was a tournament in the first place for all these players to come out and compete plus the fact that Oracle gave up his spot in the Project M singles bracket to focus more on running the tournament, that's enough to show that he cared as a TO. It also didn't help that players left without notice, which is something the TO can't do anything about other than just disqualification if the players take too long. I've had experience being a TO myself; playing in a tournament while being the TO is not an easy task, especially a tournament with over 100 players. My advice to you is to really think about what you say about people, and really be appreciative for there being a tournament in the first place.

/my2rupees :link2:

mydadsacop123

Smash Apprentice
Considering there were over 100 people there and less room i think rob did a great job. The main problem was how difficult it was to get from the front to the back (to report matches) and also that the mic died. I have been to alot of tournaments in the last 6 years and this was run very well considering the size. The dimes also only have melee. Everytime i saw rob he was either yelling matches or working on the computer. He was busting his ass. U have to take into account how huge this tournament was and it was only a local. Ive been to much smaller tournaments that started earlier and ended at the same time. All u have to do is listen for your pools and matches and ask if u arent sure. Parg had alot of new players and saying u wouldnt come to the next one is strange to me. This tournament is helping melee stay alive while making the pm scene grow. To be a successful player u have to also be a successful entrant

mydadsacop123

Smash Apprentice
Also i was in winners finals in melee and no one was watching no one watched grand finals i think everyone just left when they lost because there wasnt alot o melee hype

xoRi

Smash Rookie
Ok dude, I'm going to put it like this: You make Oracle seem like this douche that only cares about winning money when he really isn't that way, while putting Gabe on this esteemed pedestal, pretty much sounding like Gabe is so much better as a TO and he's so fair, and so good, and Oracle is the exact opposite, unfair, only cares about the money, etc (for someone that only cares about pocketing money from his own tournaments, he sure didn't win as much of what was possible to win, apparently). That's what I get from reading all of your post, and it's very biased. You're just vilifying Oracle (you probably hardly know him) and to me that's not really fair, as you so seem to advocate. In the end, the tournament ran fine; yes it could have been ran better, but the fact that there was a tournament in the first place for all these players to come out and compete plus the fact that Oracle gave up his spot in the Project M singles bracket to focus more on running the tournament, that's enough to show that he cared as a TO. It also didn't help that players left without notice, which is something the TO can't do anything about other than just disqualification if the players take too long. I've had experience being a TO myself; playing in a tournament while being the TO is not an easy task, especially a tournament with over 100 players. My advice to you is to really think about what you say about people, and really be appreciative for there being a tournament in the first place.

/my2rupees :link2:
I don't think I ever spoke in absolutes, and I know I definitely didn't say that Oracle "only cares about the money," I just said that the real possibility of winning some probably factored into his decision making process more than he'd like to admit. It may not be the case at all, that's why I said "probably."

It's obvious that, as a whole, he cares more about contributing to the community by hosting these tournaments than what he might be able to get out of it by competing in them himself.

Yeah of course I'm biased. ParG 2 wasn't run as effectively as it could have been, so that reflects poorly on Oracle as a TO. When I think of all of Gabe's tournaments that I've been to, they've all been run pretty much as efficiently as possible, including the one that lasted till 3 AM, because it was apparent that he was trying his best to run the tournament the whole time, and that's really cool.

The fact that Oracle gave up his strongest event doesn't actually mean very much when he was still participating in 2 others, one of them I could sorta understand because he'd apparently planned it with a team mate months in advance, but entering melee singles just for funsies when you've got 40 more people in the venue than you expected to be there isn't the most appropriate course of action, at least not in my mind. Depending on the circumstances with his team mate, he probably could have canceled his plans with him once it became apparent that he was going to have to put in some extra effort to accommodate the extra 40 people that showed up. But again, that all depends on the circumstances.

I don't post this type of stuff willy nilly because whatever lol maybe it'll make a bunch of people mad hahaha wouldn't that be cool

No, my intention is to make sure Oracle's aware of what people thought of how he handled things, or at least what I thought.

Sure he didn't ask for feedback, nobody asked me to see how well he holds up under scrutiny, but I'll do it anyways because if you're a TO you ought to be able to not only hold up to scrutiny well, but embrace it when there are valid points to take away from it that could potentially help in the future.

I'm not an Oracle hater nor a Gabe disciple or whatever, rofl. Plainly put, Gabe handles a lot of things consistently right that I saw Oracle get wrong at ParG 2. I'm pretty sure if ParG 2 only had like 2 events and less people Oracle would've done fine. All I'm taking away from ParG 2 about Oracle is that I'm probably not going to show up to any more big tournaments he hosts because obviously he doesn't have the resources to handle it appropriately. However this shouldn't be an issue for him in the future since he's splitting up PM and Melee into 2 separate Irving tournaments, which is clearly a good choice on his part.

As for being appreciative goes, I'm super appreciative that people like Oracle exist in the smash community. He's not perfect and he doesn't try his best when it's clearly being asked of him (maybe he thinks he does, most people think they do), but he makes a pretty good impact on the community anyways for hosting these things. I'd like to think that that all goes without saying, but I guess I didn't do a good enough job of voicing that.

xoRi

Smash Rookie
Parg had alot of new players and saying u wouldnt come to the next one is strange to me. This tournament is helping melee stay alive while making the pm scene grow. To be a successful player u have to also be a successful entrant
I said I probably wouldn't come to the next one if the schedule resembled anything close to ParG 2, but since they're being split up, that gives me incentive again.

LeevisKG

Smash Rookie
My placing in singles is fraudulent. Sethlon and his partner dodged a bullet that day.

Dr Drew the Dragon

BRoomer
BRoomer
Also i was in winners finals in melee and no one was watching no one watched grand finals i think everyone just left when they lost because there wasnt alot o melee hype
Probably because every game in top 3 except one involved Jigglypuff lol.

On the melee bracket:
Rob tried to seed it real quick then had me look it over. He had Bluezaft in a bad spot because he didn't realize he had entered under a different name. I told him to move him up so JF/Blue/Dojo were in one half of the bracket while Me/Sizzle/Zac were in the other half, at the very least splitting up the top 3 teams. However either I didn't tell Rob to move Bluezaft high enough up or Zac pulling himself out of the bracket shifted some stuff around, because I ended up in the same half as him anyways...

Then pretty deep into the tournament I read the bracket wrong and think I have to play the winner of JF sizzle in losers. In fact, LK was supposed to play that winner and then I'd play the winner of that match. Instead I played and beat JF while LK was still sitting around waiting for someone to play. To me it made more sense for me to play LK rather than have JF play him once he had already been eliminated. What I didn't realize is that this affected payouts, so we should've had JF play LK, then if JF wins he gets the $11 or whatever but if LK wins he plays me (and then gets the $11 if he loses), so that's my bad.

I also liked that everyone's awful handwriting led to about 45 names being wrong in bracket.

Anyways, some abbreviated and very late shoutouts:

Bluezaft: How did we lose teams? >_> I tried to fight that puffball but you slowly wore me down, good stuff.
Awestin: Wow you got legit in Melee all of the sudden. Too bad we never got to play PM.
Oracle: The old tricks will never work on me! Too bad the new tricks will always work on me :(. As far as running the tourney goes I think you did good with what you had, the only thing I can maybe recommend is having someone go grab food for you (I should've offered when I left to get KFC now that I think about it) instead of leaving the venue. Also, I love dumb stages more than most but Mute and Cruise really need to go at the very least.
JF: Somehow I always pull that win out of my ass.
LK: Sorry about inadvertently possibly screwing you out of $11... Good matches though.
Jesus aka Tadeo: You're getting better really fast, good stuff vs. Dojo.
Dojo: Brawl players are supposed to be bad at Melee! You had me sweating big time in our set, and good stuff in teams. Your Fox camped us so hard lol.
Hamlin: Thank God for Sheik :). Good stuff taking my money in the first of what sounds like many money matches though.
WEB: See? About 5%
Sethlon: I don't think we played all day, but congratulations regardless.
Infinity: Please stop downthrowing me, it hurts my feelings. Real talk though that MK is getting scary.
Dakpo: Someone else I never got to play... I'm scared of you bucket'ing all my pills tho.
Bwett: Squirtle is so strange! You've definitely got a good handle on him though. I couldn't even use old fashioned Fox nonsense to win the day.
Problem0: Good talking to you. We need to sit down and play some, I think the Link matchup will be a difficult one for me.
Blink: It's like, my job to keep you from advancing now lol, maybe the bracket gods will split us up next time.
Bec: Blue team forever!

D-man and the 35 other people playing Mario there: I thought I was being unique when I picked up Mario... guess not. Let's advance this character's metagame together everybody, I need tech to steal!

d-man2292

Smash Apprentice
NNID
d-man2292
D-man and the 35 other people playing Mario there: I thought I was being unique when I picked up Mario... guess not. Let's advance this character's metagame together everybody, I need tech to steal!
lol you got it man, we'll put him where he needs to be...*cough* top tier *cough*

NoxD

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0130-2891-1990
Here lets do some shout outs...

NOXD... dude sorry i didn't do dinner with ya... I kinda was preoccupied trying to find everyone in my group to find out what was up :/ but your ness and Lucius were pretty legit man.
Sorry but I forgot who exactly you were or what your tag was. Were you the green Squirtle player that played me in a bunch of friendlies? Thanks! I happen to put a lot of effort into my Mother characters :grin:

KOkingpin

Smash Champion
80 entries!?! jeeeeez. Wasnt this supposed to be some kind of local event? Good stuff Oracle on pulling this out your ass. I dont care what anyone says. Running this size of an event in this amount of time is a super pain in the butt. Ive been there and done that.

Thin Mint

Smash Rookie
So to the naysayers: ...you want a perfectly efficient tournament run by only one TO who is already lenient about DQs to the point that his own lunch break is like 5 minutes long without even entering his own event?

Last edited:

xoRi

Smash Rookie
So to the naysayers: ...you want a perfectly efficient tournament run by only one TO who is already lenient about DQs to the point that his own lunch break is like 5 minutes long without even entering his own event?
Nah I just would've appreciated if it were more apparent that he actually did EVERYTHING he could to make sure the tournament went as according to plan as possible, but he didn't. It was a pretty fun tournament anyways though.

You're also not acknowledging that he preoccupied himself by entering 2 other events.

I never said I expected perfection, nobody does.

Last edited:

tripp6313

Smash Apprentice
Sorry but I forgot who exactly you were or what your tag was. Were you the green Squirtle player that played me in a bunch of friendlies? Thanks! I happen to put a lot of effort into my Mother characters :grin:

yea i'm the tall guy who plays the green squirtle...My Gamer Tag is Tripp and i play with Bryce on my gametag

AeroLink_the_SoulMaster

Let's rock, baby!
Nah I just would've appreciated if it were more apparent that he actually did EVERYTHING he could to make sure the tournament went as according to plan as possible, but he didn't. It was a pretty fun tournament anyways though.

You're also not acknowledging that he preoccupied himself by entering 2 other events.

So when's Smash 4?

Thin Mint

Smash Rookie
Nah I just would've appreciated if it were more apparent that he actually did EVER YTHING he could to make sure the tournament went as according to plan as possible, but he didn't. It was a pretty fun tournament anyways though.

Now that I've gone back and read through all your posts, let's cut to the chase.

Rob and Gabe have a lot in common. They're a couple of handsome mother****ers who undertake greater and greater responsibilities continually in order to nourish the scene. Neither of them invited you to make further comparisons, so please don't demonize one and idealize the other. Yeah, Gabe opened his home to a bunch of ruffians to finish a tourney until like 3am. That was amazing. We applaud him. We thank him. Rob handles things a little differently, does some unglamorous backstage work to allow us to finish a massive local at the venue, and all you do is hit him with critique that you are frankly unqualified to offer.

Do you think the job of a TO is easier or simpler than he portrays it? It isn't. Do you think it's fun to be the guy who has to deal with the store owner because all the snot-nosed amateurs like us really want to see the a late-running event through till the end? It's not. Do you think it's enjoyable to spend a month organizing a local for such brats and then have everyone's placing posted in a timely manner so that this kind of whining doesn't happen all over the Facebook group? He does it anyway!

The princess is not pleased with your unnecessary hijacking of this results thread. Give respect where it is due and use discretion before criticizing professionals.

Thin Mint

Smash Rookie
And let me say another thing, addressed to the general populace.

Entrants need to give Rob and Gabe both some ****ing respect and shut up when they are calling matches. DQ yourself if you want; don't be the reason that the TO has to yell over everyone, lest somebody else miss her match.

Oracle and WF are both incredibly accommodating to the community. The least we can do is try to be deserving of their patience.

Last edited:

xoRi

Smash Rookie
and all you do is hit him with critique that you are frankly unqualified to offer.

The princess is not pleased with your unnecessary hijacking of this results thread. Give respect where it is due and use discretion before criticizing professionals.
I don't think anyone ever bestowed the title "arbiter-of-who-is-qualified-to-critique-things" to you.

I'm not wrong in believing that I'm just as entitled and "qualified," (whatever that's supposed to mean) as you are to give feedback on an event that I paid money to enter.

I don't know why you seem to think that using silly rhetoric entitles you to strip away that basic type of interaction from them just because you disagree with them over something so stupid.

I suppose I shouldn't be entirely surprised, though. After all, you did refer to yourself in the third person to rack up imaginary style points against me, or something to that effect. That's the only reason I imagine could motivate someone to do that.

I'll admit, it's really tempting to make even more deliberately underhanded passes at you like you did to me, but I won't anymore, because I think you'll understand the point by now.

Moreover, I'd really appreciate it if this all just stopped in this thread at the very least. I've already sent apologies in private messages to both gabe and rob for putting them in a particularly uncomfortable position that neither of them asked for.

If you, or anyone else still hates the living **** out of me for being kind of dumb and impulsive and not-emotionally-in-the-right-place at the time I made the original post, it would be a lot cooler if you directed your hate beams straight AT me in the form of a private conversation between just you and me so we can hash things out 1-on-1. I'm sure your more non-confrontational friends would appreciate that, and I know I would too, for obvious reasons.

But if you want to continue to publicly low-ball me over and over on the internet because of the little bursts of dopamine you get from seeing people "like" your super smart and witty posts, that's fine too. Believe me, I totally understand. But you can count on me to publicly defend myself just as well.

Last edited:

tripp6313

Smash Apprentice
dude thats just like your opinion man... So how about that Armada. I heard he's a really great player... did you see him beat m2k... ain't that something

Thin Mint

Smash Rookie
lmao, i dont need likes on my posts to affirm my self confidence. i post what i do because i am already confident in what i am saying. see you in tournament bby.

Top Bottom