• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PKAY FIAH! ~ Ness MU Discussion [INDEX PAGE + Various Discussions]

Uffe

Smash Hero
What else is new? But usually Snake mains like to tech chase, right? So the grab > u-tilt is pretty rare, I'd think. I've never actually seen a Snake do this to a Ness. I've seen him do that to a Samus, but that's because the other player stayed there because they thought Snake was going to tech chase.

Uffe

Smash Hero
I thought I'd go ahead and take a whack at this list. This is the way I see it.

Major advantages: 70-30

Advantages: 60-40
Bowser
Fox
Jigglypuff

Slight advantages: 55-45
Captain Falcon
Diddy
Ike
Link
Olimar
Samus
Yoshi
Zero Suit Samus

Even: 50-50
Kirby
Lucario
Lucas
Luigi
Pikachu
Sonic
Zelda

Slight disadvantage: 45-55
Donkey Kong
Falco
Ice Climbers
Mario
Peach
Pit
R.O.B.
Toon Link

Disadvantage: 40-60
King DeDeDe
Marth
Metaknight
Sheik
Snake
Wario

Major disadvantage: 30-70

Coffee™

I need it....
So.... I'm wondering since I haven't really seen it discussed much if at all how much the walking CGs characters like MK, Fox, Falco, Pit....etc have on Ness contribute to these matchup ratios? I'm pretty sure being able to rack up 20+ % per grab across small stages like Smashville and more across the larger stages would make his matchups with these characters a bit worse than what you guys currently have listed here.

Uffe

Smash Hero
I don't think Fox or Pit have CG's on Ness. I know Pit can grab, f-throw or d-throw, I can't remember and then grab again. But I believe that's only because people don't expect it. I know Meta Knight has a grab release on Ness, but it's nothing major. I've seen it used and the Meta Knight still lost to the Ness. If you can guess who these two players were, I'll give you a cookie. Both were at SiN.

As for Falco, yeah, he's got an annoying CG, but same deal as Meta Knight. It's good for racking up damage, but Ness can also rack up a lot of damage just as quick. His CG I believe doesn't do a whole lot. It only does about 30-40% I think.

Another thing, since you've decided to bring up different stages, grab releases and CG's then become almost useless. So then suddenly the match up changes? It wouldn't be right just for us to say Ness vs Marth 100:0, Marth. Grab releases and CG's don't determine a match up alone.

Coffee™

I need it....
I don't think Fox or Pit have CG's on Ness. I know Pit can grab, f-throw or d-throw, I can't remember and then grab again. But I believe that's only because people don't expect it. I know Meta Knight has a grab release on Ness, but it's nothing major. I've seen it used and the Meta Knight still lost to the Ness. If you can guess who these two players were, I'll give you a cookie. Both were at SiN.

As for Falco, yeah, he's got an annoying CG, but same deal as Meta Knight. It's good for racking up damage, but Ness can also rack up a lot of damage just as quick. His CG I believe doesn't do a whole lot. It only does about 30-40% I think.
I don't mean CGs as in like Falco's Dthrow CGs. I mean "X" character grabs Ness, pummels until he ground breaks, then proceeds to walk and regrab him. Ness basically goes nowhere. Rinse and repeat. A bunch of characters can do it to him and I have never seen it mentioned before and it works at any percentage and obviously racks up a lot of damage and refreshes the opposing characters moves quite easily.

Another thing, since you've decided to bring up different stages, grab releases and CG's then become almost useless. So then suddenly the match up changes? It wouldn't be right just for us to say Ness vs Marth 100:0, Marth. Grab releases and CG's don't determine a match up alone.

They don't but to assume someone like Marth is 60:40 with Ness when Marth can infinite him on a whim seems a bit much in Ness' favor. I'd probably see it as that if he didn't have one but with the ratio you guys have it doesn't seem like you're taking that into consideration.

AvariceX

Smash Champion
NNID
AvariceX
3DS FC
1177-8001-5699
Ness is hard to grab.

I'm convinced that no one who doesn't main Ness has any credibility in determining match-up ratios with Ness for people who have death-grabs against Ness until they play someone at least as good at avoiding grabs as I am.

I'm not that good.

Uffe

Smash Hero
I don't mean CGs as in like Falco's Dthrow CGs. I mean "X" character grabs Ness, pummels until he ground breaks, then proceeds to walk and regrab him. Ness basically goes nowhere. Rinse and repeat. A bunch of characters can do it to him and I have never seen it mentioned before and it works at any percentage and obviously racks up a lot of damage and refreshes the opposing characters moves quite easily.

They don't but to assume someone like Marth is 60:40 with Ness when Marth can infinite him on a whim seems a bit much in Ness' favor. I'd probably see it as that if he didn't have one but with the ratio you guys have it doesn't seem like you're taking that into consideration.
A lot of characters can do this to Wario but does that really affect him? No. Characters that can be CG'd can end up 50:50. I just checked the Ice Climbers boards to see what their say was on Ness vs IC's. They say it's 50:50 and we all know that the IC's can infinite every character in Brawl excluding themselves unless solo. If you want use to make a separate ratio for chain grabs/releases and infinites, I suppose we can do that.

I do take these sort of things into consideration, but this won't completely tell us who does better than who, or the Ice Climbers would beat out everybody. With different stages that are able to counterpick, what are they going to do without their chain grabs/releases and infinites? More than likely Falco's CG won't do as good on a stage like Brinstar or wherever slants are at.

When DSF fought FOW's Ness with his Meta Knight, he knew that he could grab release FOW, but with good spacing, FOW ended up winning. There was a part during that match where FOW did get grab released and pummeled, but again, FOW still ended up winning and this match up is already 60:40.

So this brings me back to Wario, a character with a lot of characters who can grab release him. His match ups aren't that bad. We all know ZSS has a grab release on Wario, but it's a 50:50 match up anyway.

AvariceX

Smash Champion
NNID
AvariceX
3DS FC
1177-8001-5699
I might as well take a shot at some matchup ratios...

This is all personal experience really so I don't expect it to be perfectly accurate:

Major Advantage (70:30)
:link2: :ganondorf: :jigglypuff:

Advantage (60:40)
:samus2: :shiek: :ivysaur: :ike: :sonic:

Slight Advantage (55:45)
:fox: :zelda: :yoshi2: :bowser2: :falcon:

Even (50:50)
:mario2: :pikachu2: :luigi2: :popo: :lucario: :olimar: :lucas:

Slight Disadvantage (45:55)
:dk2: :pit: :charizard: :peach: :dedede: :toonlink:

Disadvantage (40:60)
:kirby2: :gw: :diddy: :metaknight: :falco: :squirtle: :snake: :wario: :rob:

Major Disadvantage (70:30)
:zerosuitsamus: :marth: (not just because of death-grab)

Possible changes:
ZSS from Major Disadvantage to Disadvantage
ROB from Disadvantage to Major Disadvantage
Dedede from Slight Disadvantage to Disadvantage
Dedede from Slight Disadvantage to Even (wut?)
Jiggs from Major Advantage to Advantage
Kirby from Disadvantage to Slight Disadvantage
Pit from Slight Disadvantage to Disadvantage
G&W from Disadvantage to Major Disadvantage

Other than that I don't see our matchups ever looking much different than this unless something HUGE is found.

I just went back over the list and realized that I have played as Ness against every single character in the game in tournament.

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
yay! more people saying grab releases and chain grabs don't mean anything!
really, they don't. if someone is knowledgeable enough to think "oh, i could get infinited/chaingrabbed by this character, so i should try to avoid the grab a little bit better" then they don't need to worry at all. falco's CG doesn't go for long at all and can easily be avoided and taken advantage of, because the falco player will want you at a low percent to get off the chain grab. they will go for the grab more often at earlier percents (unless they are smart) and end up leaving themselves open for attacks quite a bit.

Now judging a matchup ratio is going to need some sort of overhaul... there are stages to be counterpicked that easily increase chances for one character. there are some techniques and tricks to fighting a character to make it somewhat easier, such as chaingrabs and gimps, that are easily considered and avoided by good players. I would really say, as of right now for me, matchup ratios don't mean much of anything with ness or a couple of other characters because nobody factors in every point in both characters playstyles, but yet nobody ever can.

Uffe said:
I thought I'd go ahead and take a whack at this list. This is the way I see it.

Major advantages: 70-30

Advantages: 60-40
Bowser
Fox
Jigglypuff

Slight advantages: 55-45
Captain Falcon
Diddy
Ike
Link
Olimar
Samus
Yoshi
Zero Suit Samus

Even: 50-50
Kirby
Lucario
Lucas
Luigi
Pikachu
Sonic
Zelda

Slight disadvantage: 45-55
Donkey Kong
Falco
Ice Climbers
Mario
Peach
Pit
R.O.B.
Toon Link

Disadvantage: 40-60
King DeDeDe
Marth
Metaknight
Sheik
Snake
Wario

Major disadvantage: 30-70
I say the falco matchup is even, peach is even, lucas is slight advantage us, DK is even... but basically everything else i'm fine with overall.
I define matchup ratio from now on to be the chance of each character in the matchup winning when both players know and use all techniques to their advantage and are at a stage that doesn't favor one character over another... any other suggestions or edits?

EDIT: .... I thought there was someone missing. ganon in major advantage us.
@ avericeX: whyd you put ZSS so good against us?

Coffee™

I need it....
A lot of characters can do this to Wario but does that really affect him? No. Characters that can be CG'd can end up 50:50. I just checked the Ice Climbers boards to see what their say was on Ness vs IC's. They say it's 50:50 and we all know that the IC's can infinite every character in Brawl excluding themselves unless solo. If you want use to make a separate ratio for chain grabs/releases and infinites, I suppose we can do that.
You're not getting where I'm coming from. CGs are what make the ICs as good as they are. For one thing Ness isn't Wario and you can't outright compare them like that.. I don't think two ratios are necessary, I just think it would be better if you made one ratio that actually represents what can and probably will happen in a matchup's worse/best circumstances.

When DSF fought FOW's Ness with his Meta Knight, he knew that he could grab release FOW, but with good spacing, FOW ended up winning. There was a part during that match where FOW did get grab released and pummeled, but again, FOW still ended up winning and this match up is already 60:40.
I'm pretty sure DSF didn't do this same CG I'm talking about. He probably did the running one which doesn't result in a lot of damage. With this cg adding an additional 20 or so percentage per grab and that can end in a Dsmash at the end of the stage, coupled with MKs ability to space well against Ness, as well as gimp him I'd think it would be a bit worse than 60:40.

So this brings me back to Wario, a character with a lot of characters who can grab release him. His match ups aren't that bad. We all know ZSS has a grab release on Wario, but it's a 50:50 match up anyway.
Wario has the tools to deal with most of them though, thats why his matchups are as they are. Again, Ness isn't comparable to him like that and iirc ZSS doesn't infinte him anyway.

I define matchup ratio from now on to be the chance of each character in the matchup winning when both players know and use all techniques to their advantage and are at a stage that doesn't favor one character over another... any other suggestions or edits?

EDIT: .... I thought there was someone missing. ganon in major advantage us.

I think Pit is 60:40 vs him and Mk is probably 65:35.....CGs to the edge of the stage which end in Fsmash and Dsmash respectively aren't something that be easily brushed off....

_clinton

Smash Master
Dude there is no way DK is an even match...

Also Ness has the tools to deal with foes that have grab release stuff as well I might add...god his air game is down right crazy good...it isn't just Wario...Hell people view Lucas as being able to deal with it as well

Oh and Zamus isn't a 7:3 as well...

AvariceX

Smash Champion
NNID
AvariceX
3DS FC
1177-8001-5699
Personal experience mostly...One of the guys I travel to tourneys with seconds ZSS and I've found the matchup to be absolutely impossible. I thought it was obviously possible that maybe just the knowledge of my play-style gave him the edge. I Played a different ZSS main in a tourney recently who I had never played before so he wouldn't have any knowledge of how to play against me. He played slightly different but similar to our friend and ***** me. Everything I tried to do was shut down completely. Maybe I'm just really, really, really bad at the matchup.

That player got 2nd last seed in our pool so he's nothing extraordinary.

CometStar

Smash Apprentice
Unless the ZSS mains I've played are trash, I doubt Ness has that many problems against her. From my experience superior spacing and use of Ness's good air game normally do the trick.

Also, I'm not sure but I believe Ref beat Snakeee before quitting Brawl. Don't quote me on that though.

Uffe

Smash Hero
Oops. It appears my list has some flaws in it. :S I forgot that Bowser is 55:45. Totally slipped my mind.

AvariceX

Smash Champion
NNID
AvariceX
3DS FC
1177-8001-5699
It's not that it's flawed (unless you truly believe that). It's simply a difference of opinions. I seem to be the only Ness who thinks ZSS ***** us =/.

Uffe

Smash Hero
Actually the match up discussion with Ness vs Bowser was said to be 55:45, Ness' favor. He's big and all, but he's still a threat to Ness. Looking back at my list, I think ZSS is okay where she's at if she's not 50:50. I've fought some ZSS' myself and my brother uses her as well. If you really want to see a few Ness vs ZSS videos, watch ViceGrip vs FadedImage. Those are entertaining. I think ZSS has a grab release on Ness, but it'd most likely be used as a kill move when she gets Ness at high percent, otherwise there really is no point using it.

MrEh

Smash Hero
Actually the match up discussion with Ness vs Bowser was said to be 55:45, Ness' favor.
Yup.

Bowser's Ftilt just smacks Ness out of most aerial approaches, and Fortress OoS wrecks.

It makes Ness approach differently, and it's one helluva defense.

AvariceX

Smash Champion
NNID
AvariceX
3DS FC
1177-8001-5699
I'm still actually convinced Ness has the advantage, even after playing Lain. I just put it as Dedede's advantage in my list since that seems to be the consensus on both boards and I didn't feel like arguing it -_-.

As for ZSS; I watched the ViceGrip vs FadedImage matches a long time ago when they were posted. Then I watched them again after getting railed by my buddy's ZSS thinking it might help. It didn't really help since videos aren't a good way to learn matchups due to people having different play-styles. I just watched the videos again and Faded plays nothing like the ZSS's I've played except for the last 15 seconds or so of game 4. Retreating SH'ed ZSS side-b shuts down Ness' approaches...it's really annoying, and ZSS's I play against abuse the **** out of it.

Uffe

Smash Hero
@ NessBrawler: Some would agree with you, as well as as AvariceX. We did have a discussion on this, but I can't really recall most of it. I personally find King DeDeDe difficult because his strength and is hard to kill. But that's just me. I might have figured a way out how to deal with him, though.

@ AvariceX: If you think the match up ratio is different, feel free to explain why. I'd like to see what you have to say about it. And you beat Lain? As for ZSS, I do recall the treating to forward B. That annoys me to no end. I remember fighting Quik2288's ZSS and he did the same thing against me. I can't recall if I beat his ZSS, it's been a long time. Your best option against that is probably PK Thunder at a distance.

AvariceX

Smash Champion
NNID
AvariceX
3DS FC
1177-8001-5699
@ AvariceX: If you think the match up ratio is different, feel free to explain why. I'd like to see what you have to say about it. And you beat Lain? As for ZSS, I do recall the treating to forward B. That annoys me to no end. I remember fighting Quik2288's ZSS and he did the same thing against me. I can't recall if I beat his ZSS, it's been a long time. Your best option against that is probably PK Thunder at a distance.
I never beat lain; though I have played him in tourney twice. Even after playing his D3 with Ness I'm not convinced it's D3's advantage (lain is an incredible player).

As for ZSS, my main problem is I probably just need to learn to play against her in general. She was one of the characters I considered maining for a long time and I used to secondary her yet I still feel like I don't understand her very well.

Uffe

Smash Hero
I never beat lain; though I have played him in tourney twice. Even after playing his D3 with Ness I'm not convinced it's D3's advantage (lain is an incredible player).

As for ZSS, my main problem is I probably just need to learn to play against her in general. She was one of the characters I considered maining for a long time and I used to secondary her yet I still feel like I don't understand her very well.
Yeah, no doubt about Lain. For ZSS, I can see where you're going with the match up, though. Her forward B is dangerous and it is fairly difficult for Ness to approach that. If you do figure a way around it, though, then what is the ZSS going to do? Her attacks alone are pretty quick, though. Those rack up really fast. I believe her jabs are one frame but I could be wrong.

AvariceX

Smash Champion
NNID
AvariceX
3DS FC
1177-8001-5699
Yeah, no doubt about Lain. For ZSS, I can see where you're going with the match up, though. Her forward B is dangerous and it is fairly difficult for Ness to approach that. If you do figure a way around it, though, then what is the ZSS going to do? Her attacks alone are pretty quick, though. Those rack up really fast. I believe her jabs are one frame but I could be wrong.
You aren't wrong, ZSS jab is 1 frame (along with Squirtle and Pika; fastest jabs in the game). Her uair is amazing against Ness too...it's so fast and our dair is...not.

Well, it depends, was lain under the influence or not?
That's the dumbest question I've ever heard XD.

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
consider some people who play extremely competitively lowlifes then. I overheard some stuff at one of the Clash of brokenness tournaments and someone was talking about how some people go out and do some drugs before a tournament... I would absolutely never do something like that, but my eavesdropping self seemed to pick up something that makes me feel less like trying to be competitive.

DDD matchup should be maybe slight advantage DDD... but i played this one DDD that i swear i should have beaten both times that could just destroy me with the chaingrab.

who are we even discussing though, cause i thouught we agreed to 60:40 snake a long time ago.

AvericeX said:
That's the dumbest question I've ever heard XD.
It might be slightly less dumb than you think... lain often goes to the CoB, but i don't know if he is among the group of people who would do such things.

DON'T QUOTE ME ON ANYTHING! THE STUFF ABOUT PEOPLE DOING DRUGS TO DO BETTER IN TOURNAMENTS IS ONLY BY WHAT I'VE HEARD, I DONT KNOW FOR A FACT!

AvariceX

Smash Champion
NNID
AvariceX
3DS FC
1177-8001-5699
I know of more people who smoke green at or before tourneys than people who don't. I also know of at least one person now who takes adderall, although it's actually prescribed for him so that's legit and not just someone trying to get an unfair boost.

Jtails

Smash Lord
id say D3 has an advantage over ness, playing atomsk/leo here in new york i do not like the match up lol.
the chain grab, hard to land a kill, getting gimped offstage. its just not fun.
even if you short hop and space properly he can grab you out of the air sometimes. he can outcamp ness =/
id say 60:40 in D3 favor.

yea uffe ZSS jabs are 1-2 frames as is D3's spot dodge. zss i think is even on ness. ive played dmt a bit.
shes really light so unused bair/bthrow kills around 100 depending on stage and position.
ness can absorb her Dsmash and shot if you see it coming.
shes faster, and hard to hit with Dair so shed probably keep juggling with utilts and uairs.
id say 50:50 maybe even 55:45 for ness.

those are just my 2 cents..

AvariceX

Smash Champion
NNID
AvariceX
3DS FC
1177-8001-5699
Dedede shouldn't ever be gimping you as Ness. None of his moves have a low enough knockback angle (except dtilt which you shouldn't get hit by too often and dthrow which doesn't send you far enough away from the stage) to prevent you from just recovering way above where Dedede can reach you because of his terrible air speed and mobility. Then just be smart about how you move around him on the way down (Ness has full control over his free-fall) and don't land somewhere he'll grab you again.

*edit: just remembered D3 can dtilt Ness after a dthrow...so DI up*

Uffe

Smash Hero
Hey, any pro tips can and will be useful to my game play. I'll try to remember DIing upward if he throws me down. As for out-camping, ain't that the truth? I was fighting possibly the campiest D3 I've ever met in my life. He'd run the timer to the last minute. I had lost the first match, made a comeback on the second and bair'd him out on the third match with only thirty seconds left! It was so annoying that I nearly quit.

Top Bottom