• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PK Thunder Technique- Thunderslide

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
Thanks for the video Seanson. I'll add it to the thread along with some new things I've figured out about it. The video does not show the PK Thunder Cancel however which I've found to be extremely useful so if people could try to get the timing down for this so I can have a video up of that too it would be great. The timing between these can be very difficult to pull off consistently. Also if we're looking for names I would suggest Gliding PK Thunder as it was inspired by a technique used with Shiek in melee called gliding. However, I'm open for suggestions. Again many thanks to Seanson.

CFaLC

Smash Cadet
Hmmm, that seems like a pretty useful technique. For sure it could catch someone off guard if they are getting too close to you when you do this or if they're waiting below you.

Hardcorenesser

Smash Journeyman
wow this is too complicated! ya i am sure it is easy to get the hang o but i can barely do a zap jump mid-battle... how am i supposed to handle this?... also, i find it harder to zap jump with b-sticking, just cuz your thumb has to come from a different angle... and i think i just figured it out a little bit... with the help of that video... (i can be pretty slow).

i just watched the video again and I GET IT!!!! OMG!!!! but when i read over your descriptions of the technique once again, it seemed the video was made doing it a different way. either that or you were explaining it wierd... also do not waste your time explaining it to me... go waste your genious on someone else... i will get the gist of it.

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
It looks like in the video he's doing it with the b-stick but you don't have to. The only difference is that he doesn't show all the applications with it. It's the same thing. and yes this technique is extremely hard to master. The timing for different applications takes amazing precision.

Jihnsius

Smash Lord
It looks like in the video he's doing it with the b-stick but you don't have to. The only difference is that he doesn't show all the applications with it. It's the same thing. and yes this technique is extremely hard to master. The timing for different applications takes amazing precision.
If you press B within ~1/20th of a second before a direction, it'll do the directional special move without applying the momentum (though it'll apply the momentum after the fact, as B-Sticking will prove.)

dark_dragon8

Smash Ace
Wow I gotta try this out. Pk Thunder is fast enough to actually hit in battle sometimes (well for me at least if they are chasing you off the edge). Thanks for the demonstration video too.

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
yeah good point. Give suggestions if you want. I'm just waiting for someone to really master it and make a video that shows it all. I sadly don't have the equipment.

Trozz

Smash Ace
Nice technique. Shame it leaves you wide open to a counter attack. Still though, great for causing fear in your opponent. I'll try this out.

Dark Ryu

Smash Ace
Good find Tyr 03, and really nice video showing the technique seanson. I still need to keep practicing with it to get the timing right, want to be able to pull it off in a match to surprise my opponent. :)

Jewdo

Smash Journeyman
Nice find! I love Lucas even more now.

I don't think I'm the first to find this, but:

The tap-jump doesn't *need* to be disabled. Tap-jumpers just need to press Up and B at nearly the same time to keep from jumping. Lucas will slide just as far as with tap-jump disabled. B-stickers can also initiate the slide with just a tap upwards on the B-stick if they find it easier that way.

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
It was already named from Melee. It's just a million times more applicable in Brawl.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Heehee your welcome for the name Tyr

Apparently no one read my PKT guide for melee that I worked so hard on.

But if only Lucas had Ness' PKT2 power. It would be more useful if you hit the floor on your face since you would knock opponents away.

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
It's surprisingly amazing for Lucas actually. The Thunder Cancel is amazingly sweet. Knocks people away and then allows Lucas to use any move immediately after. I love it. It is a shame that Ness's doesn't work quite the same way in Brawl.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Wait, the thunder cancel knocks people away? Every time I hit the floor with Lucas, some of the weak early hits connect, but the last kockback blow is canceleed and the opponent goes no where.

What are you doing that I am not?

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
The first hit of PKT2 has knockback as well. So if you hit them as you're hitting the platform you won't knock them away but if they're close enough to your intial hitting point you will. If you follow the thunder cancel up immediately with a Bair you can often hit them even after just a weak hit too. After messing around with it a bit more I find that I can tell if I've timed it correctly for the thunder cancel or something else as I'm sliding and can decide whether to hit myself immediately or not. If I notice I've gone too far and will get a faceplant I send the thunder out a bit before hitting myself to change the angle. It's saved me tons of times.

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
What do you mean by flat platform? You can thunderslide off of any platform at all. Unless you're talking about a flat stage with no platforms like FD. You can't do much with it there except edgehog or reverse pk thunder.

St. Viers

Smash Champion
I read it, Earthbounder. I just didn't use ness that much--I read EVERYTHING

*thinks that by now people would have realized I'm practically a walking encyclopedia of smash knowledge, due to immense lurking, reading all forums, and reading advice in forums I don't actually belong in*

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
lol it takes some time to get used to SoulTrigger. Loved the bunny hood section. There's nothing funnier than doing that in a casual 4 player match. I have yet to have anyone video the Thunderslide PK Thunder cancel which is sad since it's probably the best use of it. But I'm hoping to make a vid of it soon with my friend's capture card. Anyways just work on the timing. Once you practice it enough you'll get to the point where you can really control it and then it's amazingly good.

Natch

Smash Ace
NNID
Natch42
Okay, I was a bit confused about what this actually did, but I watched the vid and now I'm drooling at the possibilities.

This tech is certainly one worthy of learning and adding to my arsenal. It looks like it'll take some work to do proficiently(I expect many suicides to happen in attempted applications of this) but I'll eventuallly get the hang of it.

Mind Your Manners

Smash Rookie
Very interesting thread. I would only add that if you play a lot of WiFi matches, then don't get your hopes up for using this tech. Even if things seem to be running at normal speed, there is a noticeable command lag for maneuvering PKT a lot of the time.

It kills me quite frequently because I, and probably most others, tend to do things by timing and "feel" as opposed to visual cues. The initial vertical movement of PKT can get extended in WiFi matches which causes me to hit at wrong angles or just miss all together. Be wary in WiFi matches because these techs seem to rely mostly on timing, which doesn't always mix well with WiFi.

Top Bottom