• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social PK Love - Lucas Social Thread: “Inside the mailbox was absolutely nothing”

Drippy

Smash Ace
Every time I think about the ending's interpretation, it changes haha.
Yeah but so far I think I like the conclusion I've come too. It makes me feel all goody inside and it actually seems legitimate so it's not like I'm lying to myself.

Am I doing it right?
No

Last edited:

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
You guys are making me want to start a Mother 3 Let's Play to celebrate the fact that Lucas is coming back and I want you guys to stop that right now because my voice is terrible and my English sucks so I can't do proper commentary.

BlueberrySyrup

Smash Lord
NNID
BlueberrySyrup
... LOL THIS VIDEO
this is THE WORST analysis I have EVER seen... WHAT...?
Evil Captain Falcon on Lucas's shirt confirmed.

Last edited:

Drippy

Smash Ace
You guys are making me want to start a Mother 3 Let's Play to celebrate the fact that Lucas is coming back and I want you guys to stop that right now because my voice is terrible and my English sucks so I can't do proper commentary.
Do it! Just be fun and enjoyable to watch!

Starlol9

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Starlol9
3DS FC
0130-3074-4775
I am trying to stalk this thread now. You can never make me leave! NEVERR!!

I would watch it :3 Don't be so negative, I bet it would be good!

... LOL THIS VIDEO
this is THE WORST analysis I have EVER seen... WHAT...?
Evil Captain Falcon on Lucas's shirt confirmed.

It... hurts... ughh
That whole video made me cringe though. The comments seem to agree!

PSIguy89

Smash Ace
NNID
PSIguy89
3DS FC
3222-5969-7044
Am i the only person that enjoyed playing through the first Mother game??? coincidently it was also the my first foray into the series =3 Also you guys have made me REALLY want to play through Mother 3 again....ive been debating on buying a reproduction cart for it (i have the official japaese version already) any good sites i can get one from?

Shaymikyu

Destruction in Hedgehog Form
You know I kinda wonder if part of the reason Mother 3 isn't getting released here is because it pretty much has

A kid coming suicide without any kind of censoring

I can't think of other games that do that. If Mother 3 was released here then I can imagine it having a M rating just because of that.
Don't forget
a drug trip.

I don't think that's THE reason (with it being released on the GBA so late and being the sequel to a game that sold poorly here being the main reasons, and maybe Mr. Batty Twist having a bit of the tv Batman theme in it for rights issues), but I could see how it'd be hard to get around. I think it would be a T rather than a M, but still, with it's cartoony graphics and SSB being a T, that might still lead to complaining parents.

Although:
Wasn't there a part in the postgame for the Pokémon Myster Dungeon: Explorers of ___ game where the main characters discuss essentially committing suicide? The details are foggy, but I remember something like Palkia or Cresselia telling them that they had to essentially die because they were anomalies in time and space and your partner and you discuss it.

So it's okay when one of Nintendo's flagships that children WILL buy do it, but an obscure little RPG? THINK ABOUT THE CHILDREN.

Granted, they don't actually go THROUGH with it in PMD...
Not really.
The last scene before the epilogue is basically Lucas cradling Claus in his arms for like most of the scene, and prior to it is Claus's dying words. Not to mention "Claus suddenly breathed his last". : \ It's more subtle than alot of games would make it out to be, but that's only due to the game being a GBA game focused on text and that the screen was black for the entire time after Claus hit himself with a fatal blow.
The breathed his last breath thing was actually change by the translation team. In the original, it was something like "Claus closed his eyes" or something like that, but they thought it would be too vague. Still, the implication is the same.
Mother 3 Spoilers:
So what do you guys think happen at the end of Mother 3? I like the theory where the dark dragon kills everyone on Earth and eventually the planet "restarts" itself. Everyone can still be good together (in a way...) and the world can start fresh again, although apparently they're still alive telling from the end screen? TBH I'm still kind of confused

Also I'd like to discuss more about other aspects of this game such as Tanetane Island.
Holy crap that place was dark. "“Everyone’s going to throw rocks at you and make your life hell. Who’s everyone? Everyone you love.” - Claus Hallucination

In my opinion Mother 3 has to be one of the most well-written games ever, I actually kind of wish they used the unused boss battle to add onto how emotional / dark the game is. And c'mon, did anyone ever feel for this guy?

I'm sorry Negative Man, I would've helped you if I could.
I feel like the ending caused a ton of destruction and destroyed Tazmily and the like, and maybe even the chimeras, but everyone survived in the end (except the already dead people like Hinawa and Claus). It's a bit hard to but into words, but this line from the interview translated on the patch's site basically formed my headcanon:
- In the end, the dragon is revived and the island is completely destroyed, but everyone is still alive, aren't they?
Itoi: That's right. So to bring out the strength in these human beings, no matter what, Hinawa and Claus had to make sure to tell everyone their goodbyes.
You had mentioned how in the N64 version, when you reach the ending, it's as pure white as the morning after a long, dark night.
Itoi: This time around it sort of seems that way, too, doesn't it? So at that "END?" scene, it tells us, well, it's over. You get the feeling that the creators, the characters from the game, and you--the player--make it safely to the morning and are all walking around a garbage-strewn town together. Children might not understand this, since they have never really walked through a town after a long night has passed.
Basically, there's still a lot of cleaning up to do, but the Nowhere Islands are essentially given a new start and everyone left alive has the chance to redeem themselves.

I remember seeing another neat ending comic somewhere though that someone translated where Claus and Hinawa were revived... I can't find it for the life of me, though.
To be honest, at that point, i think Lucas had become strong enough to actually accept his Brothers death tcompared to Hinawa's because of his journey and how he'd grown through it. He could've easily just said "**** this life, i lose everyone, screw off world i'm done trying to do the right thing" and not pulled the needle and leave the world in it's **** state, but he resolved to pull the Needle and fix the world despite everything. I know it's unrealistic for Lucas to be entirely mentally stable at this point, but his friends were there to help him through this and everything, everyone counted on him, i refused to believe he'd just resign himself to defeat after everything that'd happen. Besides, Hinawa appearing in the final battle proves there is an afterlife, so Lucas would know that he'd see Claus again, one way or another, aswell as his mom.

I agree that the world is reborn in the way Lucas wanted it to be, although i think that it's a world without evil feelings like Greed or Envy. I mean hell, the player stumbles onto Porky, who's giggling like a baby instead of cursing out Lucas for trapping him in that for eternity or whatever. I think they just moved on with their lives, but to each's own, this is my opinion, that's yours.
And this is why I freaking love Lucas' character. Even if it hurts to lose Claus, he doesn't let it take him over. Heck, even with Hinawa's death, he stayed pretty strong compared to his father who spent years looking fruitlessly for Claus. He doesn't let it cloud him enough to decide that everyone else deserves to suffer for what he suffered or that life is pointless. That's not to say he doesn't experience grief, but he learns to not let it cloud his judgement. He grows from someone who is so lost in grief and guilt that he can't even stop his brother from running off to go fight a cyborg dinosaur that will inevitably win said fight to someone who still hurts over things, but doesn't let it get to his better judgement. And even at his most hurt, he never wallows in pity and the like.

So many spoiler tags...

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
Yeah, Lucas is the only Mother Protagonist without a battle distraction, with Ninten having the asthma mechanic, and Ness the homesickness or what I like to call savouring steak. They could of gave Lucas a crying mechanic, but I believe there's a reason they didn't.

In the town everyone thought as Lucas and Flint as a wreck, with Lucas being considered a crybaby and Flint hopelessly searching. With the rest of the town never have gone through a tragic event, they didn't realize how such normal responses to these kinds of events they were having. So Lucas was no more of a crybaby then any other child in that situation and it was the town's lack of realization that labeled him as such. I think Lucas not having that protagonist mechanic was a way of showing he was misjugded by everybody.
It makes me kind of think at times that Lucas' 'crybabyness' was over exaggerated in his introduction of Brawl's story.

Shaymikyu

Yeah, Lucas is the only Mother Protagonist without a battle distraction, with Ninten having the asthma mechanic, and Ness the homesickness or what I like to call savouring steak. They could of gave Lucas a crying mechanic, but I believe there's a reason they didn't.

In the town everyone thought as Lucas and Flint as a wreck, with Lucas being considered a crybaby and Flint hopelessly searching. With the rest of the town never have gone through a tragic event, they didn't realize how such normal responses to these kinds of events they were having. So Lucas was no more of a crybaby then any other child in that situation and it was the town's lack of realization that labeled him as such. I think Lucas not having that protagonist mechanic was a way of showing he was misjugded by everybody.
It makes me kind of think at times that Lucas' 'crybabyness' was over exaggerated in his introduction of Brawl's story.
His younger self might have been like that, but by the time we start playing as him, he's clearly matured a bit.

Then again, since he barely talks AS the protagonist, we kind of have to fill in the blanks.

I didn't mind his portrayal in SSE- he's one of the few who even got character development. What DID bug me was making him a sitting duck while Wario fired the trophy gun and Ness took the hit instead of having Lucas trapped again somehow to justify not dodging, therefore making people not familiar with Mother 3 hate on him for being "useless" and "abandoning Ness." I STILL see people using this to hate on him long after most people stopped caring about SSE. Not to mention it kind of puts Ness on a pedestal... Probably why I wasn't fond of him in Brawl compared to past games or SSB4 (where he's almost on par with Lucas in my adoration of him).

1/128

Smash Cadet
NNID
Chrono-Omega
Mornin', folks! I just beat Chapter 4 this morning and I have to say, that was my favorite chapter until now! You really can see that Lucas is indeed growing as a person, now I can finally use PSI, Boney was just amazing in the whole chapter, the chapter got the difficult spike right, and finally I can starting figuring out what in the world Porky's plans are, and the whole party is now together! At this rate, I think I'll finish the game next week.

Shaymikyu

Mornin', folks! I just beat Chapter 4 this morning and I have to say, that was my favorite chapter until now! You really can see that Lucas is indeed growing as a person, now I can finally use PSI, Boney was just amazing in the whole chapter, the chapter got the difficult spike right, and finally I can starting figuring out what in the world Porky's plans are, and the whole party is now together! At this rate, I think I'll finish the game next week.
I almost wish Lucas' Boney costume gained the hat from his disguise... Actually, that could be why the shirt is green.

And the stuff with DCMC is pretty touching. They're cool guys, like Mother 3's answer to the Runaway 5. R5 are funnier, but DCMC touched me more.

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
My Mother 3 playthrough started today. I'm on chapter 3 currently, and I forgot that Fassad was a scumbag to THIS level.

ForteX

Smash Journeyman
Am i the only person that enjoyed playing through the first Mother game???
Nah. I love it more than Mother 2, and I played it unmodified outside of using the English dump. The story is better written and the characters feel more real than they do in Mother 2, and it actually was emotional. The whole game was just one "this stopped being ok miles ago" after another, and the story just in general has a lot of subtext and carries a lot of implications that just aren't in Mother 2. Ninten deserved that spot in Smash more than Ness ever will.

The development of the characters in Mother 3, though, especially Lucas, is just unrivaled. Not afraid to admit I cried when Lucas remembered his mom brushing his hair. God damn.

Shaymikyu

From what I do know of Mother 1, I adore its story and world. I especially love the contrast of the mostly normal world Ninten lives in and the dreaminess of Magicant.

It's just the gameplay that puts me off.

PSIguy89

Smash Ace
NNID
PSIguy89
3DS FC
3222-5969-7044
All 3 Mother games make me feel. They all feel feel alive...like Mother 1 just really gives you this feeling that your leaving home to journey through an unfamiliar and dangerous world. It's eerie and unforgiving and yet still quirky and cute.

DoodleDuck97

Smash Hero
Living in a peacefull place on nowhere islands.
I am actually glad Lucas was originally cut now when I think about it.
For two specific reasons.
1. It made me realise how much I noticed his absence in the Roster and made him ultimately become one of my favourite video game characters.
2. he was the best surprise ever. Which something we missed out on with::4ness::4jigglypuff::4wario::4falco::4ganondorf::4drmario::4darkpit::4bowserjr::4duckhunt:

Plain Yogurt

Smash Ace
Just made it to Snowman in Mother 1...Lloyd is dead...and there isn't a hospital...and then everybody has a cold...So Ninten caught a cold...AND THERE ISN'T A HOSPITAL.

This is one of those times you would head to Magicant to get fixed up, eh? Or is there a place that acts like a hospital in Snowman? Gosh this game is tough...

TewnLeenk

Can pick up a boulder with relative ease
BRoomer
why are mods locking basically every other thread?
Because I've gone mad with power!

No, but we're trying to keep things cleaned up in here. Most of the threads we've locked don't really need their own thread. They can easily be discussed in the Social Thread or the moveset one.

MainJPW

M.T.A
Ninten deserved that spot in Smash more than Ness ever will.
Which reminds me, being the main protagonist of the very first Mother; why hasn't Ninten ever had so much as a trophy at least? The Mother series seem to be lacking in the trophy department in general.

Last edited:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Which reminds me, being the main protagonist of the very first Mother; why hasn't Ninten ever had so much as a trophy at least? The Mother series seem to be lacking in the trophy department in general.
I agree entirely. I'd actually love to see Ninten as an alt for Ness when Lucas releases.

Here, they look like they might be a little too similar, but:

In other pictures of the model besides that one which is floating around (which I think is a "cleaned" version of it), Ninten's shirt is noticeably baby blue rather than dark blue, which would add enough contrast when combined with his shoe and sock color and his hat facing the other way. Heck, they could include the scarf he wears in this Japanese Mother 1 commercial if they wanted him even more distinct.

I know it won't happen in all likelihood, but a pack with Lucas, a Ninten costume, and Magicant being ported to Wii U (and Onett to 3DS) with a graphical upgrade would really make my day.

Shaymikyu

I am actually glad Lucas was originally cut now when I think about it.
For two specific reasons.
1. It made me realise how much I noticed his absence in the Roster and made him ultimately become one of my favourite video game characters.
2. he was the best surprise ever. Which something we missed out on with::4ness::4jigglypuff::4wario::4falco::4ganondorf::4drmario::4darkpit::4bowserjr::4duckhunt:
I mentioned this before, but Lucas being cut then added again got him way more positive attention than if he was just there from the start.

And who knows? Maybe Nintendo will notice all the positive attention and finally bring his game here somehow.
Because it's a 2D series and making trophies takes effort. Hence why we got things like Wedding Peach in Brawl.

SSB4 seems to at least be trying harder with the trophies though, such as redoing some Awakening characters in SSB4's style in their poses from their official artwork. Still, I wonder why they never recycled the Paula and Poo trophies from Melee.
I agree entirely. I'd actually love to see Ninten as an alt for Ness when Lucas releases.

Here, they look like they might be a little too similar, but:

In other pictures of the model besides that one which is floating around (which I think is a "cleaned" version of it), Ninten's shirt is noticeably baby blue rather than dark blue, which would add enough contrast when combined with his shoe and sock color and his hat facing the other way. Heck, they could include the scarf he wears in this Japanese Mother 1 commercial if they wanted him even more distinct.

I know it won't happen in all likelihood, but a pack with Lucas, a Ninten costume, and Magicant being ported to Wii U (and Onett to 3DS) with a graphical upgrade would really make my day.
Hnng, I need that figure... It probably costs an arm and a leg, though.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I mentioned this before, but Lucas being cut then added again got him way more positive attention than if he was just there from the start.

And who knows? Maybe Nintendo will notice all the positive attention and finally bring his game here somehow.

Because it's a 2D series and making trophies takes effort. Hence why we got things like Wedding Peach in Brawl.

SSB4 seems to at least be trying harder with the trophies though, such as redoing some Awakening characters in SSB4's style in their poses from their official artwork. Still, I wonder why they never recycled the Paula and Poo trophies from Melee.

Hnng, I need that figure... It probably costs an arm and a leg, though.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MOTHER2-Ear...421?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f4a5ee80d
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ninten-Boku...228?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d2fcf479c
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ninten-Figu...846?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4636fb78ce
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Banpres...641?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4637b47761

Yeah, a bit. Cheapest is $52 after shipping's taken into account, and that one doesn't even have the box.

Shaymikyu

PF9

Smash Lord
As you may know, they are going to make a Lucas Amiibo. A good name for a Lucas Amiibo would be George (see what I did there?).

TewnLeenk

Can pick up a boulder with relative ease
BRoomer
I just beat Mother 3 a few hours ago. Man, what a great game. The ending made me pretty emotional too, which is something not a lot of video games have managed to do recently. I'm still trying to decide if I liked it better than Earthbound (which I've beaten twice). But all in all, a solid 10/10 would play again for me.

Shaymikyu

I just beat Mother 3 a few hours ago. Man, what a great game. The ending made me pretty emotional too, which is something not a lot of video games have managed to do recently. I'm still trying to decide if I liked it better than Earthbound (which I've beaten twice). But all in all, a solid 10/10 would play again for me.
I have to admit, as someone who beat Mother 3 first, when I first beat EarthBound, choosing a favorite was very difficult.

Drippy

Smash Ace
I damn near cried in the middle of the night, that game really gave me the chills.

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
I'm on chapter 5 of my Mother 3 playthrough, and I still love it to bits.

Shaymikyu

Unfortunately, I'm still living off of my parents, and after the last set of figures my mom had to scramble for, I don't see her willing to do it again, even for an easier target.

Maybe for Christmas since I bet there will still be a set for sale...

PSIguy89

Smash Ace
NNID
PSIguy89
3DS FC
3222-5969-7044
i have both the Ness and the Ninten figures =) "newinbox" too! they cost me a little over $100 for both though, still well worth it for me!

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
i have both the Ness and the Ninten figures =) "newinbox" too! they cost me a little over $100 for both though, still well worth it for me!
TAKE A PICTURE OF THEM NEXT TO EACH OTHER IN NICE LIGHTING, PLEASE!!

I HAVE WANTED TO SEE THEM SIDE BY SIDE FOREVER AND I'VE NEVER SEEN ANYONE DO IT.

Shaymikyu

If I could have just one of those figures, it'd be Paula. I adore her. Besides, I have Ness' Amiibo pre-ordered, so I'll already have a Ness figure.

Last edited:

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
I want a Boney figure. Actually, scratch that. I want figures of all the playable Mother 3 characters.

Top Bottom